Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kairo hazuna's Waifu

Tiny Animal

Because of this thread, I'm going to start giving my dog a raw food diet. I'll post some updates about it.
Yesterday my dog was farting a lot, and had pooping problems. D:
I'll research more about it first. C:

Tipsy Vampire

Skeksis
Karill
8D Of course my rabbit gets raw food!
Lettuce, hay, grass, etc.
But I know that's not what you meant. XD

Is it really time-consuming to feed your animals raw meat? Is it healthier? Ever since the Chinese melamine-kibble scandal, I have wondered what would be alternatives. Does it require a lot of freezer space?

Hah, I would say that counts as raw...I know rabbit owners who never feed anything other than pellets. My rabbit is raw fed too. Yay for raw fed bunnies. smile

It's more time consuming than throwing a handful of kibble down but really it only takes 10 minutes a day to feed everyone on average. It depends on what is being fed. If I'm really pressed for time I can feed ground raw and that takes about one minute to get out of the fridge and into the bowls. razz Sometimes I have a lot of time on my hands and I feed stuff that requires supervision.
A good way to operate is to spend a few hours once a week getting seven days worth of food ready. Then everything is ready to use as needed and it takes very little time. It's easy to fit into your lifestyle. Done properly it is much healthier than kibble.
It can take as little or as much space as you like. I use one shelf in the freezer and one crisper in the fridge. The freezer is just backup in case I'm ever really stuck for something to feed- I rarely take things out. The crisper fits a weeks worth of fresh food.

XD The little booger does get some pellets, but those are vet-recommended and have specific amounts of protein and whatnot that he might not necessarily get from anything else. But they're still secondary to all the hay and veggies he gets.
My birds are on a pellet-only diet, but that's because it's MUCH healthier and vet-recommended for them. I was amazed to find out just how terrible birdseed is for captive birds. But they're my only argument for pellet diets. I can see how omnivorous and carnivorous pets would do better on a completely raw diet.

Prepping all the meals ahead of time does seem like an easy way to make things go faster during the week.
Skeksis
Asshatting
I've been feeding my dogs a combination between raw and a high quality kibble called wellness for years.

My current male is in excellent physical condition.

In these photos, he was fed a 100% meat diet consisting of whole chicken pieces, ground beef and steak (when afforded.)

User Image
User Image

Current photo of barf diet and kibble in my signature.

Fantastic looking dog. 3nodding What you're doing is working and it's so nice to see a lean fit dog and not a hippo.

How's he bred?

He's red boy and jeep on the top side and jeep and niggerino on bottom. His grandfather has a bit of Eli on the bottom.
I've never really heard of feeding animals raw food being good for them. I'll definitely have to check into it smile .
I've actually been debating on starting my two weasel-bears on raw food or not for a over a year now, ever since one of them became very ill. Well, both became ill, actually. The first one seemed to get a horrible cough one month. I took her to the vet and within a day or two of antibiotics, she was fine.

A month later though, my second little girl became very lethargic and would barely wake up, lost a lot of weight and was very dehydrated. I nursed her through the night with giving her spoonfuls (as I didn't have a dropper because I snuck her to work with me that night) of water and baby food (chicken) and just kept her warm. I dropped her off at the vet the next morning. After 24 hours all they could tell me was that her livers and kidneys were failing and that she would need to be put down so she wouldn't suffer. He said I had maybe a day that I could take her home and just spend time with her but that's probably all she would last before she would be in noticeable pain. I almost wanted to just put her down then and there because if he was wanting me to wait for the pain to be noticeable then it would have been extreme as ferrets rarely show it.

Anyway, I took her home and after a day she seemed just slightly more alert so I called him and he said to bring her the next day instead, that surely that would be the time. He then admitted that sometimes they hold on for almost a week before they die on their own but to save her suffering I should bring her in before then. I reluctantly agreed. However, I kept up with giving her high calorie kitten and ferret mixes and yatta yatta and within the first week she was progressing and able to lift her head. She was more alert, just weak and her movements seemed very confused. Long story short, after 2 months she was able to move around on her own, though mostly dragged her back legs. After another month she was able to walk with only a little hitch in her step. She still has motility issues but it seems mostly confusion on which way to turn. For example, she'll jump up at my legs and fall backwards and when she lands on her back or side she rolls a little like a turtle, not quite sure what to do to get herself upright again. Usually, I have to pick her up and set her back on her feet. She's alive but over a year later, still having issues.

From the time she came home from the vet I've had her on the highest grade ferret food I can find and what I always hear recommended, Marshall. However, I'm thinking if I can upgrade even further to a raw diet, she might improve further. It may not be possible since I really think it's a little bit of brain damage from having such a high fever for so long those first couple days, however, what could it hurt? I was initially afraid a raw diet would be too expensive and time consuming but as it is, a 7lb bag of Marshall food is $25 here, on sale. I don't see how raw chicken will be anymore expensive than that.

I'm definitely going to look into that site you posted. You've rekindled my interest and desire in the raw feeding. I'll probably even start the cats on it as well. Perhaps the dog as well but she's currently on a really high quality food (no fillers or additives, etc.), Blue Buffalo Co. and that already seems to be making a huge difference in her well-being. Thanks so much!

Kairo hazuna's Waifu

Tiny Animal

{♫=♥}:

<3
Asshatting
Skeksis
Asshatting
I've been feeding my dogs a combination between raw and a high quality kibble called wellness for years.

My current male is in excellent physical condition.

In these photos, he was fed a 100% meat diet consisting of whole chicken pieces, ground beef and steak (when afforded.)

User Image
User Image

Current photo of barf diet and kibble in my signature.

Fantastic looking dog. 3nodding What you're doing is working and it's so nice to see a lean fit dog and not a hippo.

How's he bred?

He's red boy and jeep on the top side and jeep and niggerino on bottom. His grandfather has a bit of Eli on the bottom.

You have a very well put together dog. 3nodding
Honest Sarcasm
I've actually been debating on starting my two weasel-bears on raw food or not for a over a year now, ever since one of them became very ill. Well, both became ill, actually. The first one seemed to get a horrible cough one month. I took her to the vet and within a day or two of antibiotics, she was fine.

From the time she came home from the vet I've had her on the highest grade ferret food I can find and what I always hear recommended, Marshall. However, I'm thinking if I can upgrade even further to a raw diet, she might improve further. It may not be possible since I really think it's a little bit of brain damage from having such a high fever for so long those first couple days, however, what could it hurt? I was initially afraid a raw diet would be too expensive and time consuming but as it is, a 7lb bag of Marshall food is $25 here, on sale. I don't see how raw chicken will be anymore expensive than that.

I'm definitely going to look into that site you posted. You've rekindled my interest and desire in the raw feeding. I'll probably even start the cats on it as well. Perhaps the dog as well but she's currently on a really high quality food (no fillers or additives, etc.), Blue Buffalo Co. and that already seems to be making a huge difference in her well-being. Thanks so much!

Wow, you little ferret is lucky to belong to someone who has put so much time and patience into her. smile

You can definitely upgrade her diet. Even if she turns out to be unable to do full raw due to her brain damage there are some really decent kibbles that would be very good for her. Check out this kibble rating chart for ferrets:

http://everythingfert.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Soup&action=display&thread=24031

I would also think about doing a soup for her. Nearly all ferrets can be taught to like soup and it is very good for them, especially if they are sick and go off their food. Here's a few recipes. The only 'dud' is the second last...raisins aren't good for ferrets and neither is Ferretvite, so I wouldn't use that one.

http://www.wuzzles.com/ferrets/documents/whatisducksoup.htm

Soup can be as simple or as complicated as you like. I used to make the following for my old girl, who was raised on kibble and blank refused to eat anything raw.

-One can of Innova wet cat food

-three cups of cooked chicken

-One tablespoon of heavy cream

Grind it all together, thin it with water until of a soupy consistancy and freeze in ice-cube trays for storage. I would give her two cubes a day and it really helped her. It was a lifesaver after she had surgery and couldn't even raise her head for three days.
I give the same to any other ill ferrets, but their chicken is raw.

For your raw venture be sure to check out this forum- it's super helpful and contains all the info you will ever need. smile

http://holisticferret.proboards.com/index.cgi

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. ^^
Jiti
Because of this thread, I'm going to start giving my dog a raw food diet. I'll post some updates about it.

Yay! It takes a little bit of reading as first but becomes progressively easier as time goes by. smile
What sort of dog do you have?

5,350 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
c biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin ool biggrin

5,350 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
heart heart this is awsome heart

Kairo hazuna's Waifu

Tiny Animal

Skeksis
Jiti

Yay! It takes a little bit of reading as first but becomes progressively easier as time goes by. smile
What sort of dog do you have?

She's a mutt
havanese, poodle mixed with a shiz tuor whatever you call it

pic:
User Image

She just keeps vomiting and having pooping problems. I just thought a change in her diet might help her tummy problems.
Skeksis

Wow, you little ferret is lucky to belong to someone who has put so much time and patience into her. smile

You can definitely upgrade her diet. Even if she turns out to be unable to do full raw due to her brain damage there are some really decent kibbles that would be very good for her. Check out this kibble rating chart for ferrets:

http://everythingfert.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Soup&action=display&thread=24031

I would also think about doing a soup for her. Nearly all ferrets can be taught to like soup and it is very good for them, especially if they are sick and go off their food. Here's a few recipes. The only 'dud' is the second last...raisins aren't good for ferrets and neither is Ferretvite, so I wouldn't use that one.

http://www.wuzzles.com/ferrets/documents/whatisducksoup.htm

Soup can be as simple or as complicated as you like. I used to make the following for my old girl, who was raised on kibble and blank refused to eat anything raw.

-One can of Innova wet cat food

-three cups of cooked chicken

-One tablespoon of heavy cream

Grind it all together, thin it with water until of a soupy consistancy and freeze in ice-cube trays for storage. I would give her two cubes a day and it really helped her. It was a lifesaver after she had surgery and couldn't even raise her head for three days.
I give the same to any other ill ferrets, but their chicken is raw.

For your raw venture be sure to check out this forum- it's super helpful and contains all the info you will ever need. smile

http://holisticferret.proboards.com/index.cgi

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. ^^

Awesome, thanks. I actually spent a couple hours looking at the holisticferret site last night. It's super informative and the people seem very passionate and helpful. I think I'm going to start giving it all a try this weekend.

Kairo hazuna's Waifu

Tiny Animal

My dog lost weight after eating raw meat. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out