Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hello there. c: long time no post. Well I wish I had better news, but sadly I don't. My boy Jack is sick again. We just spend about two weeks every day going to the vet for shots to get better. We just stopped last Friday. They said if he was still having issues to bring him back on Monday, and well now it is Tuesday and I believe he has pneumonia. At first I thought a lady was sobbing out my window when I heard him wheeze. I had my head phones in and everything. He is still eating and drinking. Not as well as he should, but he is. His brother is taking food from him too and it just isnt good. No pori drops or anything just hardcore terribly wheezing and mucus. He is colder and pale. We are going to the vet here in about an hour and thirty minutes, but can anyone give me advice on how to take care of him when he comes home? I'm terribly worried. I hate it when my babies get sick.. I've never dealt with pneumonia either. Just Mycoplasmia and Ear infections now.. Haha.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news... but once it hits the pneumonia stage its touch and go. I have had good vets and bad vets. The good vets will tell you like it is and the bad vets will give you hope so you keep coming back. The best vet I ever had said, "Its an advanced stage of pneumonia. There is no hope. My suggestion is to put him down." I couldn't give do it. He was only a year old and had no prior health issues... if he was old and sick I would have, but he was just too young. I took my rat home.

When I got home I found RatGuide.com. I called my vet and spoke with him for about 30 minutes coming up with an experimental medicine routine. Most of the stuff was over-the-counter fish medications. I bought the medicine, mixed it myself, and kept my rat on a very strict regular dosing regime every 2 hours, even through the night, for about 4 weeks. He got better, but he battled myco for the rest of his life and it was pneumonia that got him in the end.

Honestly, I went the extreme route and I don't think I would do it again. Not because it was difficult; I loved that rat more than any other pet I have ever had. I would have done anything for him, and I did everything I could. I wouldn't do it again because of his quality of life afterwards. He was never the same, never quite as healthy or happy.

The only person who knows whats best for your rat is you. I'm only giving you my opinion based on experience.

For now, keep him close and keep him warm. He's using all of his energy to fight the illness and can't keep his body warm. If you can't hold him; heat up some water in a water bottle, put it in a sock and lay it beside him. Keep him hydrated, even if that means holding the water bottle so he can drink or force-feeding him water through a syringe (no needle). The vet may recommend removing his brother from the cage, but there really isn't any point because he has already been exposed to pneumonia. At this point, he'll either get sick or he won't. It sounds like the brother is helping keep your sick rat alive. Personally, I'd leave them together.

Keep us updated. I'll pray for you and your little guy.
MooCowing
I hate to be the bearer of bad news... but once it hits the pneumonia stage its touch and go. I have had good vets and bad vets. The good vets will tell you like it is and the bad vets will give you hope so you keep coming back. The best vet I ever had said, "Its an advanced stage of pneumonia. There is no hope. My suggestion is to put him down." I couldn't give do it. He was only a year old and had no prior health issues... if he was old and sick I would have, but he was just too young. I took my rat home.

When I got home I found RatGuide.com. I called my vet and spoke with him for about 30 minutes coming up with an experimental medicine routine. Most of the stuff was over-the-counter fish medications. I bought the medicine, mixed it myself, and kept my rat on a very strict regular dosing regime every 2 hours, even through the night, for about 4 weeks. He got better, but he battled myco for the rest of his life and it was pneumonia that got him in the end.

Honestly, I went the extreme route and I don't think I would do it again. Not because it was difficult; I loved that rat more than any other pet I have ever had. I would have done anything for him, and I did everything I could. I wouldn't do it again because of his quality of life afterwards. He was never the same, never quite as healthy or happy.

The only person who knows whats best for your rat is you. I'm only giving you my opinion based on experience.

For now, keep him close and keep him warm. He's using all of his energy to fight the illness and can't keep his body warm. If you can't hold him; heat up some water in a water bottle, put it in a sock and lay it beside him. Keep him hydrated, even if that means holding the water bottle so he can drink or force-feeding him water through a syringe (no needle). The vet may recommend removing his brother from the cage, but there really isn't any point because he has already been exposed to pneumonia. At this point, he'll either get sick or he won't. It sounds like the brother is helping keep your sick rat alive. Personally, I'd leave them together.

Keep us updated. I'll pray for you and your little guy.
Thank you so much.. He is still eating, drinking, and himself to an extent. He is I'll and stuff but he is putting on an amazing front for me. I'm doing what I can to the best of my ability. The vet didn't really tell me what it was. She just said that I need to take him back every day for the next 3 days for a shot and a breathing treatment. I'm getting a humidifier, and don't know whether hot or cold would do him more good. Haha. He is staying positive so I am as well. Circulation is still good and he is breathing almost normal. He has had chronic mycoplasmia, and bronchitis. The ear infection, well dunno where that came from. But, he has a long treatment of antibiotics ahead of him, and like I said earlier he is really optimistic and still happy. He could make it. I gave him a whole bowl of food to himself and will prolly be moving his brother back in. :/ I am sorry for your rattie.. I pray I don't lose him. I love him so much.
00 L a u r e n 00
Thank you so much.. He is still eating, drinking, and himself to an extent. He is I'll and stuff but he is putting on an amazing front for me. I'm doing what I can to the best of my ability. The vet didn't really tell me what it was. She just said that I need to take him back every day for the next 3 days for a shot and a breathing treatment. I'm getting a humidifier, and don't know whether hot or cold would do him more good. Haha. He is staying positive so I am as well. Circulation is still good and he is breathing almost normal. He has had chronic mycoplasmia, and bronchitis. The ear infection, well dunno where that came from. But, he has a long treatment of antibiotics ahead of him, and like I said earlier he is really optimistic and still happy. He could make it. I gave him a whole bowl of food to himself and will prolly be moving his brother back in. :/ I am sorry for your rattie.. I pray I don't lose him. I love him so much.

I'm glad to hear you're doing what you can for him. I've never had to take my rats in for shots... is it just fluids or are they giving him some kind of antibiotic? You could switch the water bottle with unflavored pedialyte temporarily to keep his fluids up. And there's really no point in keeping your boys separated unless you can move your healthy boy into a completely separate house. My rat health knowledge is rusty, but if I'm correct pneumonia is generally an airborne illness but not a guarantee that all your rats will catch it (just like in people). However, the body warmth and companionship from his brother might give him a fighting chance of survival.

Also, don't be sorry about my rat. He lived a nice long rat life of almost 3 years, and was always a happy rat despite his health. =)
MooCowing
00 L a u r e n 00

I'm glad to hear you're doing what you can for him. I've never had to take my rats in for shots... is it just fluids or are they giving him some kind of antibiotic? You could switch the water bottle with unflavored pedialyte temporarily to keep his fluids up. And there's really no point in keeping your boys separated unless you can move your healthy boy into a completely separate house. My rat health knowledge is rusty, but if I'm correct pneumonia is generally an airborne illness but not a guarantee that all your rats will catch it (just like in people). However, the body warmth and companionship from his brother might give him a fighting chance of survival.

Also, don't be sorry about my rat. He lived a nice long rat life of almost 3 years, and was always a happy rat despite his health. =)
the shot is a heavy dose of antibiotic, and a steroid, maybe. I don't know exactly but that is what he got for his ear infection. Every day he would go back for another one and it really does make the difference if they have all of the shots. You know they got all of the meds. Then the treatment opened his air ways. I have gotten the pedialyte, heat pad, and even some yummy fresh foods for him super rich in calories. My only concern for putting them both back together is that he doesn't get as much food as he should. My other hogs it all and is selfish with it sometimes. There is a great size difference. My Sam is a healthy weight where as Jack is underweight. My baby only weighs roughly 8 ounces.. Haha. It's sad because Sam is terribly depressed without his brother and is ignoring me. Jack however still seems happy to see me. Yeah. My mom had pneumonia so I know it is airborne and contagious to all of my babies. It travels in the particles on me and stuff. Honestly, the only reason they are separated is because of the food issue.
I had rats, once, a long time ago, when I was a kid and had irresponsible parents who didn't care about me being responsible or not for the rat's needs; so I didn't think about the the particulars in caring for them at that time. Now, however, I'm everything I wasn't back then. I got two rats, named them Sam and Dee, and loved them to death. I should have realized that Sam was sick, on account of the fact that she kept sneezing. She was lethargic, but it had been so long, and she ended up dying.

I got a new rat. It was touch and go for a bit, introducing the new rat Sammy (there is a story behind that, it's not important) with Dee, and for a while Dee seemed intent to do nothing but power-groom Sammy. However, they're getting along now, through a bit of luck and some techniques I learned (making them smell like one another, helping them to want to groom one another, etc). At any rate, Sammy sneezes sometimes, and sometimes makes these grunting noises prior to falling asleep. When she does go to sleep, however, she doesn't make a single noise. I realize that I'm comparing this to Sam, who sneezed ALL of the time and constantly wiped her face (Sammy wipes her face SOMETIMES).

Should I be worried that she may be sick? I know that it's that time of the year...
So u'm back giving an update on my little Jack. He is doing better than he was the first day. The vet diagnosed him with a resperatory illness. She didn't say pneumonia but, it isn't like mycoplasmia, so that is what I am figuring it to be. I got him a humidifier, fresh foods, and have found he hates oranges, but loves pecans. Hahah. Well... He is on oral meds now for two weeks. Halfway through he is showing signs of improvement. He can regulate his own body temp and is climbing all over the cage and fights like a champ when I give him his meds. The humidifier is on all day, all night, and he gets breathing treatments every day.. Slowly healing is coming. I expected it to come a bit sooner, but it's okay. I kinda like taking care of my sick ratty. The bond has become so much closer.
00 L a u r e n 00
So u'm back giving an update on my little Jack. He is doing better than he was the first day. The vet diagnosed him with a resperatory illness. She didn't say pneumonia but, it isn't like mycoplasmia, so that is what I am figuring it to be. I got him a humidifier, fresh foods, and have found he hates oranges, but loves pecans. Hahah. Well... He is on oral meds now for two weeks. Halfway through he is showing signs of improvement. He can regulate his own body temp and is climbing all over the cage and fights like a champ when I give him his meds. The humidifier is on all day, all night, and he gets breathing treatments every day.. Slowly healing is coming. I expected it to come a bit sooner, but it's okay. I kinda like taking care of my sick ratty. The bond has become so much closer.

I'm guessing you don't know, but male rats are not supposed to have citrus fruits, it puts them an extreme risk for kidney cancer. So I guess it's a good thing he doesn't like them xD

If he's having a lot of trouble eating solid foods, buying the jars of baby food can be a great way to keep weight up, and keep protein intake at the right amount. Just a tip, best of luck with your ratty!
I'm pretty stoked smile All babies have been adopted out to great pet homes! Have a couple more trips to get a few more dropped off and then we're all set. Cleopatra is due any day now, she's getting so big.

Everyone is doing great, smile
hiysinphlay
00 L a u r e n 00

I'm guessing you don't know, but male rats are not supposed to have citrus fruits, it puts them an extreme risk for kidney cancer. So I guess it's a good thing he doesn't like them xD

If he's having a lot of trouble eating solid foods, buying the jars of baby food can be a great way to keep weight up, and keep protein intake at the right amount. Just a tip, best of luck with your ratty!
Ugh. I feel like such a noob. xD I guess it is a good thing that that was the only time I have EVER given oranges out. Well. I feel so stupid. More spinach for him!! Sadly, my Petsmart quit selling all of my favorite good rat foods. So corn meal as the first ingredient. So he had a seed mix sadly now. He is gaining weight well. neutral I feel so stupid. I did know that. I have lost so much knowledge.
00 L a u r e n 00
Ugh. I feel like such a noob. xD I guess it is a good thing that that was the only time I have EVER given oranges out. Well. I feel so stupid. More spinach for him!! Sadly, my Petsmart quit selling all of my favorite good rat foods. So corn meal as the first ingredient. So he had a seed mix sadly now. He is gaining weight well. neutral I feel so stupid. I did know that. I have lost so much knowledge.

It's okay, it's not common knowledge all the time smile
Oh goodness, I so hate seed mixes >.> they are good for packing on the weight though, but no nutritionally complete so it's great that you provide fresh veggies for him. Do you have any feed stores in your area? A lot of them carry lab blocks, another alternative is the walmart brand lab blocks, it's not great quality but definitely better than a seed mix.
hiysinphlay
00 L a u r e n 00
Oh goodness, I so hate seed mixes >.> they are good for packing on the weight though, but no nutritionally complete so it's great that you provide fresh veggies for him. Do you have any feed stores in your area? A lot of them carry lab blocks, another alternative is the walmart brand lab blocks, it's not great quality but definitely better than a seed mix.
I do too. Jack is really my only skinny rat. My other boy is roughly a pound and a half and my girls are a pound. He is half a pound. :/ I used to feed them Oxford rat pellets, and they loved that food. I think I will be going out and getting those pellets and mixing the two. xD
hiysinphlay
00 L a u r e n 00
Actually avoid the Walmart brand if possible. It has caused seizures and even death with long term use.

Romantic Regular

12,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Haven't posted here in forever! So, thought I'd give picture updates of all 8 of my girls. Yes, I said 8 lol

Anyways, here's the start of the 'spam' lol

Diamond and Tarra
Ruby and Sapphire
Clover
Emerald (Sorry this a bad picture)
Opal (top) and Crystal (bottom)
Bleh. Well I'm back with some new development.. It has been so long since I have dealt with a resperatory infection.. He got all of his meds, and I gave him a treatment tonight. He is acting like he is trying to cough something up. neutral I had a rat actually get some mucus out on me one time, it was nasty but I'm glad she got it out. I'm so worried about him. His breathing is worse after the treatment. Usually it is better. neutral he gets really stressed when it is medicine time and breathing treatment time. I guess I just kinda want to know if it is a good thing stuff is working its way up.

Extra note: this is his 5th day of oral antibiotics. neutral

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces