Welcome to Gaia! ::

Junior Gaian

8,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
So I'm cleaning the cage today...

but right now I'm laying on my bed with my rats running around my lap...

And good lord they need a bath...

But they hate water...

Do I just have to make them sit still and clean them...or just slowly introduce them to water? D:

because they REALLY need to be cleaned!

Charitable Millionaire

User Image
I ended up getting that hairless rat. emotion_8c Could not resist. and I bought him a friend and a new cage..
because they're so little and I thought it was female, sure as hell didn't seem to have balls last week.
Regardless, that's why I go it a friend because I can't put him in with my big boys for 6+ months.
Even than, I'm not sure I want to. *shrugs*
I'll show you guys pictures when I'm done cleaning some of my cages. That's what I'm doing all weekend. emotion_donotwant

*Oh and two rats can definitely move into an apartment with me, so it doesn't really affect my plans for next year. ♥

Kawaii Hellraiser

Okay so have any of ya'lls rats refused to have a hammock in cage?

Invisible Genius

7,075 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Not me. My ratties have a hammock. At first they didn't really know what it was but now they love it and can't live without it. I had to take it out the other day to clean it and they freaked out cause they had to sleep somewhere else lol :3

Friendly Werewolf

Can I just take a moment and say how much I love this thread??
I have two males who just turned 8 months today, and I couldn't be happier with them!
They are the best pets and so amazing. They are also litter mates, so biological brothers.
So glad to see more and more people falling in love with rats!
NaNneRiZKeWL

Depends on the kind of hammock and the rats. My girls refuse to use just a regular hammock, they have to have the double layer ones that they can hide in. My boys, who prefer the double hammocks that they can hide in, will still use the other ones too.
I've paired together 2 sets of rats for breeding! I'm so excited, it'll be nice to have little ratties in the house again ^-^
ZanderxNugget TheoxLacey
I've already got a pair of males reserved c:

Kawaii Hellraiser

hiysinphlay
NaNneRiZKeWL

Depends on the kind of hammock and the rats. My girls refuse to use just a regular hammock, they have to have the double layer ones that they can hide in. My boys, who prefer the double hammocks that they can hide in, will still use the other ones too.

I never even knew that they had double layer ones! I'll have to try one...But my one of my babies June-Bug chew one of the strings on one that I got.
NaNneRiZKeWL
hiysinphlay
NaNneRiZKeWL

I never even knew that they had double layer ones! I'll have to try one...But my one of my babies June-Bug chew one of the strings on one that I got.

Oh yes, they end up destroying it in time, no matter what xD First the latches that hold it on and then the hammock itself. I usually end up attaching my own hooks (metal shower rings works like a charm! ) to the hammock itself through self made holes. For Christmas I'm going to stock up and splurge a little. Found an awesome site that sells them with free shipping if you order over $60 worth of product. c:

Kawaii Hellraiser

hiysinphlay
NaNneRiZKeWL
hiysinphlay
NaNneRiZKeWL

Oh yes, they end up destroying it in time, no matter what xD First the latches that hold it on and then the hammock itself. I usually end up attaching my own hooks (metal shower rings works like a charm! ) to the hammock itself through self made holes. For Christmas I'm going to stock up and splurge a little. Found an awesome site that sells them with free shipping if you order over $60 worth of product. c:

Ooo! Thanks for the advice!

Charitable Millionaire

User Image
So I said I'd post pictures of my new goobers, took me awhile to get a good one though. talk2hand

User Image
(Click to make it bigger?)

Anyway not a very good one for showing them off, but it's cute. ;]
I also made a new blog, for pet pictures actually. c: Getting back into it~

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

8,050 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Millionaire 200
I'm needing a bit of rat advice again, so I'm hopping back in here.

I've got two boys who're about 2 years old or so, they've lived together their whole lives. About a month ago we got two little baby rats who're now 15 weeks old. They're living in two separate cages, but they're fairly close by, and they get outside-cage-time in their pairs.

Everything seemed fine until my sister was cuddling one of the older boys, the gentle one, and found loads of scabs under his fur. We knew that the two big boys were fighting, but had no idea that it was drawing blood. We don't really know what to do at this point, the grumpy boy has always been a bully but this seems fairly serious.

As a side note, the scabs are all fairly small and the gentle rat doesn't seem distressed...they still sleep beside each other and spend time outside the cage together.

I'm worried about splitting them up, because if that happens then grumpy-boy might live alone for the rest of his life sad
Fabulous Necrosis
I'm needing a bit of rat advice again, so I'm hopping back in here.

I've got two boys who're about 2 years old or so, they've lived together their whole lives. About a month ago we got two little baby rats who're now 15 weeks old. They're living in two separate cages, but they're fairly close by, and they get outside-cage-time in their pairs.

Everything seemed fine until my sister was cuddling one of the older boys, the gentle one, and found loads of scabs under his fur. We knew that the two big boys were fighting, but had no idea that it was drawing blood. We don't really know what to do at this point, the grumpy boy has always been a bully but this seems fairly serious.

As a side note, the scabs are all fairly small and the gentle rat doesn't seem distressed...they still sleep beside each other and spend time outside the cage together.

I'm worried about splitting them up, because if that happens then grumpy-boy might live alone for the rest of his life sad

What are the dimensions of the cage the two big boys are saying in? How many water bottles, food dishes, and toys do they have? How often and what are they fed? How often is the cage cleaned? All of these factors can contribute to fighting. Typically once they start fighting to the point where they draw blood, it only escalates from there unless action is taken.

I have one boy right now that is being separated from his cage mates because he just won't stop fighting with them .-. I've done everything I can think of. They are 3 rats in a cage large enough for 6 TONs of toys, 5 water bottles, multiple places for food. But he still fights with them, and has left scars on both the other boys.

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

8,050 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Millionaire 200
hiysinphlay
What are the dimensions of the cage the two big boys are saying in? How many water bottles, food dishes, and toys do they have? How often and what are they fed? How often is the cage cleaned? All of these factors can contribute to fighting. Typically once they start fighting to the point where they draw blood, it only escalates from there unless action is taken.

I have one boy right now that is being separated from his cage mates because he just won't stop fighting with them .-. I've done everything I can think of. They are 3 rats in a cage large enough for 6 TONs of toys, 5 water bottles, multiple places for food. But he still fights with them, and has left scars on both the other boys.

The cage is 79.5 x 50 x 80cm, it's the Jenny cage by Furplast (apparently you can keep 4 rats in it easily). They have several toys and are regularly given new boxes to hide and play in, as well as all the boxes and paper bags they get outside their cage. They have one dish (a big one) and one water bottle on two different levels of the cage. They're fed kibbles, also called rat nuggets that're meant to be nutritionally complete and have recently come off muelisi. The cage is cleaned daily, thoroughly cleaned once a week.

Sorry to hear about your boy living alone, I'm starting to think that might be the only way for mine. He's so nice with human beings, but just a pain in the neck to other rats.
Fabulous Necrosis

The cage is 79.5 x 50 x 80cm, it's the Jenny cage by Furplast (apparently you can keep 4 rats in it easily). They have several toys and are regularly given new boxes to hide and play in, as well as all the boxes and paper bags they get outside their cage. They have one dish (a big one) and one water bottle on two different levels of the cage. They're fed kibbles, also called rat nuggets that're meant to be nutritionally complete and have recently come off muelisi. The cage is cleaned daily, thoroughly cleaned once a week.

Sorry to hear about your boy living alone, I'm starting to think that might be the only way for mine. He's so nice with human beings, but just a pain in the neck to other rats.

The only thing that I'd suggest trying would be adding a food dish and a water bottle, having multiples can really be a big help.

It's unusual, but every now and they you do find a rat that has to be kept singly. I'd suggest moving the nice one in with the little boys if the cage is large enough or moving the 2 little boys and the 1 nice one in the big cage and putting the other male in the other cage if that works out better space wise.

There is one rat in the cage that my aggressive boy gets along with, so I am going to try to keep them together. But Theo is also one of my breeder boys so I'm not sure if Bolt will accept him back in the cage after he's been bred with a female. I'm just crossing my fingers at this point. If not, Bolt loves my girlfriend and she's willing to keep him in his own separate cage and take very good care of him.

Good luck with your boys! I know how frustrating this can be ><;

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces