Welcome to Gaia! ::

Charitable Millionaire

Herr General
My rats (females, about 6 months old) destroyed 4 plastic drinking bottles so far, I at first thought they might be doing it for attention, but now they are doing it even after I take them out and cuddle them.

Is it possible that a rat would do such things for attention?

Another odd thing they do;
I use newspaper as bedding, and they rip it to shreds, taking most of it to the highest level in the cage and stuffing the corner with it, making a nest.
Is that common?

My rats used to chew on their water bottle, I switched to glass after the first one was destroyed.
I'd suggest doing that same if you can, there are some really nice ones around. c:
I suggest the kind that have floating carrots in them, there are some with ducks but they tend to leak more~

Edit* like this one, they also have bigger sizes which is what I use for mine. (:

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Irska
Herr General
My rats (females, about 6 months old) destroyed 4 plastic drinking bottles so far, I at first thought they might be doing it for attention, but now they are doing it even after I take them out and cuddle them.

I use newspaper as bedding, and they rip it to shreds, taking most of it to the highest level in the cage and stuffing the corner with it, making a nest.
Is that common?

My rats used to chew on their water bottle, I switched to glass after the first one was destroyed.
I'd suggest doing that same if you can, there are some really nice ones around. c:
I suggest the kind that have floating carrots in them, there are some with ducks but they tend to leak more~

Edit* like this one, they also have bigger sizes which is what I use for mine. (:

Lol, floating carrots.
I know what you mean and all, I just think it's funny. "Aim for the water bottles with the floating carrots in them!"

Charitable Millionaire

Moth Feathers
Lol, floating carrots.
I know what you mean and all, I just think it's funny. "Aim for the water bottles with the floating carrots in them!"

That made me laugh. d;
Those water bottles are wonderful though, they don't even cost too much more. c:
Irska
Herr General

Is that common?

Mine have little floating ducks >.< ahaa
I love the bottles with floaties. <3

Charitable Millionaire

Morphine Kiss

Do they leak much? o: All of the ones I've bought, they all leaked a lot so we returned them.
I only have bought one that never leaks. o.o I love the floaties too though, so easy to see when they need to be refilled. ♥
Irska
Morphine Kiss

Do they leak much? o: All of the ones I've bought, they all leaked a lot so we returned them.
I only have bought one that never leaks. o.o I love the floaties too though, so easy to see when they need to be refilled. ♥

I either get Super Pet's glass bottles, which i've never had a glass one leak by them, or I get Oasis bottles. Which I think they only come in plastic. But i've NEVER had an oasis bottle leak. Oasis bottles have little floaty balls. Just balls. No fun. But super pet here uses ducks. =3

I know one thing with them is always fill them to the very tippy top. And make sure there's nothing in the spout, clean it out at least weekly with a q-tip. I do a mild hot water x tad bit of bleach solution soak too weekly with all of my bottles.

Bowls in the long run are easier, though >.>
I feel like a douche for never posting in here >.>

But I got my "legit" manager promotion, and a pay raise, and I work full time. Not to mention my zoo at home I take care of,ha. I've had a lot of fosters recently. Bad time of the year.

And I got diagnosed officially with protein S deficiency, so because of my busy work schedule i'm told to rest and put my legs up when I get home to avoid blood clots. Already had one beginning...caught it just in time. I refuse to give up my job/hobby. two of my brothers are disabled from this, though. And my Dad ended up completely crippled because of it.

So now I have to balance everything I do and be careful and such. yeah. frustrating.

Distinct Smoker

OOoh!! I love rats! I miss mine, my parents made me get rid of them cuz of the smell. I tried to house them outside but that did NOT last long, I found a good home for them after that.
The rat I had named Marius was HUGE, like monster sized rat who knew his name and would sleep in bed with me all cuddled up. He had a black head and cape and white belly.
I asked my sister to take care of him for a while and her rats ate him because she had way too many in a cage, I didn't know, I trusted my sister to keep him safe. crying

Omnipresent Loiterer

9,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
Irska
Herr General

Is that common?

Thanks for the suggestion. (:

Omnipresent Loiterer

9,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
Little Sholac
Herr General

Is that common?

As for them destroying the water bottles, how are they able to reach it? Like what type of cage do you have them in? Is there any other toys or things for them to chew on in the cage with them?

The nesting thing is quite common, my girls love to make the nest and then cuddle with each other in it. It is mostly they just feel safer in the nest area really.

The bottle is hung on the side of the cage, just close enough for them to reach them if they put their muzzle through the bars.
They have some other things yeah, pieces of wood and such.

Junior Gaian

8,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
(As I'm typing this, my rats are having a fit over my box of garlic breadsticks lol. They are trying so hard to get it open!)

ANYWAYS.
I noticed most of the people in here are from like Canada and stuffs....
But anyways.
If you're in the US, you probably know of Publix! (it's like walmart, sans the home improvement sections and stuff)
Anyways, they have this thing called Publix Greenwise Market, with things like seeds and fruit pieces in them and stuff. Since my ratties enjoy the sunflower seed ones, do you guys know of anything else in that section that'd be good for them?

Or any other kinds of fruits and seeds they can eat? :3
x BATMAN xx
(As I'm typing this, my rats are having a fit over my box of garlic breadsticks lol. They are trying so hard to get it open!)

ANYWAYS.
But anyways.
If you're in the US, you probably know of Publix! (it's like walmart, sans the home improvement sections and stuff)
Anyways, they have this thing called Publix Greenwise Market, with things like seeds and fruit pieces in them and stuff. Since my ratties enjoy the sunflower seed ones, do you guys know of anything else in that section that'd be good for them?

I'm in the US and I have no idea what Publix is xD
Anyhow they can have pretty well any fruit out there--except avocado--and majority wise goes to seeds too. Seeds are fatty, and fruits are sugary.
But just remember to give treats in moderation. =)
Do they have vegetables and such? Remember to feed a lot of vegetables! =3

Junior Gaian

8,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Morphine Kiss
x BATMAN xx

ANYWAYS.
But anyways.

Anyhow they can have pretty well any fruit out there--except avocado--and majority wise goes to seeds too. Seeds are fatty, and fruits are sugary.
And citrus, right? c: So plums, apples, etc are fine?
I give them plenty of seeds, thought fruit and veggies...eh...they don't eat them o.O
I've tried giving them fresh fruit and veggies...and they don't really eat it..D:

Devoted Poster

8,825 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Morphine Kiss
x BATMAN xx

ANYWAYS.
But anyways.

Publix is in the southern part of the US, I know Florida has a few there.

Devoted Poster

8,825 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Well instead of putting about a ton of links up one for each picture, I decided to make an album for the ratties XD

So here is the album for my lovely little girls! XD
Rattie Album!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas