Welcome to Gaia! ::

azer0th

ohmygosh. ;w; thank you so much.

haha, that would be neat. <:

No problem c: that's what I'm here for! Getting a good rattery rat is always better than having to get a mill bred rat from the big places like petco/smart.

Beloved Prophet

11,500 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Object of Affection 150
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Hime

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Hime again, she's really photogenic.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Both of my rats. Hime is looking at the camera. Nezumi is turning away

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. My only good picture of Nezumi. -_- She always turns away.

Can you believe that Hime is the shy one? lol
Hello again~ I was just wanting to get your take on something odd that has been happening today.

So earlier, Inwas on my computer when I hear squeals coming from my girls' cage. I get up fast, and Lucy was attacking Roxy. Not to the extent of blood spill, but enough to make her squeal. I go to the cage, get Lucy out of the cage for a while and let Roxy chill out. (side note: Roxy is under 6mo. old. A baby with a bunch of energy. Lucy is around 1 1/2 yrs. to 2 yrs. old.) So I just put Lucy back in the cage like maybe 1-2 hrs. ago, and Inwas laying in bed when I hear Roxy screaming bloody murder. I'm a few rooms away, but it sounded like a bird at my window. I get in there, and they are fighting again. Roxy is puffed from the fight, and Lucy is on edge. I had an extra hamster/mouse cage on hand with nothing but bedding and towels in it, and put her in there. Why is Lucy attacking Roxy all of a sudden today? No injuries are serious, but still.. It is scaring me. Lucy is still in the other cage... I just don't know..
00 L a u r e n 00
Hello again~ I was just wanting to get your take on something odd that has been happening today.

So earlier, Inwas on my computer when I hear squeals coming from my girls' cage. I get up fast, and Lucy was attacking Roxy. Not to the extent of blood spill, but enough to make her squeal. I go to the cage, get Lucy out of the cage for a while and let Roxy chill out. (side note: Roxy is under 6mo. old. A baby with a bunch of energy. Lucy is around 1 1/2 yrs. to 2 yrs. old.) So I just put Lucy back in the cage like maybe 1-2 hrs. ago, and Inwas laying in bed when I hear Roxy screaming bloody murder. I'm a few rooms away, but it sounded like a bird at my window. I get in there, and they are fighting again. Roxy is puffed from the fight, and Lucy is on edge. I had an extra hamster/mouse cage on hand with nothing but bedding and towels in it, and put her in there. Why is Lucy attacking Roxy all of a sudden today? No injuries are serious, but still.. It is scaring me. Lucy is still in the other cage... I just don't know..

The general rule of thumb is 'no blood no foul' my girls will fight to the point of squeaking, just to sort out dominance. I don't like it by any means, but it's normal, and just something that I have to let them sort out themselves. So long as she's not actually causing a wound, it might be nothing. Especially with younger rats, sometimes they just over react and squeak as loudly as they can to try and scare the 'attacker' away.

Maybe clean the cage, and put a dab of vanilla on both the girls tummies and base of their tails and do a mini re-introduction. I've heard of people squirting them with a bit of water when they are fighting to stop it, never tried that myself though. I'd just keep an eye on them.

Beloved Prophet

11,500 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Marathon 300
hiysinphlay
00 L a u r e n 00

The general rule of thumb is 'no blood no foul' my girls will fight to the point of squeaking, just to sort out dominance. I don't like it by any means, but it's normal, and just something that I have to let them sort out themselves. So long as she's not actually causing a wound, it might be nothing. Especially with younger rats, sometimes they just over react and squeak as loudly as they can to try and scare the 'attacker' away.

Maybe clean the cage, and put a dab of vanilla on both the girls tummies and base of their tails and do a mini re-introduction. I've heard of people squirting them with a bit of water when they are fighting to stop it, never tried that myself though. I'd just keep an eye on them.

I just yell "girls!" and they usually stop. Sometimes I do a "time out" where I get the one who is being the bully and put her in the ball. (which for some reason they hate...) I should try squirting water. =/ Some nights they fight a lot. I know its Hime, trying to show off her dominance, but I still dont like it. -_-; I've heard about the vanilla thing I thought about trying that out too on the nights it's bad, but im afraid they'll just lick it off.
Caption Kiya

I just yell "girls!" and they usually stop. Sometimes I do a "time out" where I get the one who is being the bully and put her in the ball. (which for some reason they hate...) I should try squirting water. =/ Some nights they fight a lot. I know its Hime, trying to show off her dominance, but I still dont like it. -_-; I've heard about the vanilla thing I thought about trying that out too on the nights it's bad, but im afraid they'll just lick it off.

Most times I just ignore it, and they settle it in a little bit. I've also heard that if you disrupt dominance fights that it can make things worse, it is important that they sort things out. It's the boys who worry me, because I've had boys literally trying to kill each other before. Vanilla helps a lot c: it covers up their scents, really great for introductions with new rats, I don't think I've had a rat lick at it before xD

Ps balls are very bad o-o I hope you don't put them in there too long or too often. Since rats have respiratory problems, being trapped in that small amount of space with any amount of ammonia, can be damaging. Plus if it's a small ball, it could really damage their backs, it'd have to be at least 12"
hiysinphlay
00 L a u r e n 00

it is just Roxy's squealing that scared me, I guess. My boys have fought to the point to where blood was pouring out of my Jackie's eye, and I had a mouse who had her whole backside torn off. I never heard a sound. Erg. They have known eachother for close to 2-3 months now, but I will re-entroduce them. :3 thank you~
00 L a u r e n 00
it is just Roxy's squealing that scared me, I guess. My boys have fought to the point to where blood was pouring out of my Jackie's eye, and I had a mouse who had her whole backside torn off. I never heard a sound. Erg. They have known eachother for close to 2-3 months now, but I will re-entroduce them. :3 thank you~

User Image
These two little guys were together for 3 months with absolutely no problems. And then one day one of the boys just decided he was going to try and kill the other one :/ It was around the time that I adopted a new girl, I think that somehow the scent messed with him. But I also adopted the problem boy from a horrible pet store who does not selectively breed.

So definitely watch them, it could be a problem. I've never had a bad fight with girls though, so long as the cage is appropriately sized. Has anything changed recently? Adopted a new rat? Diet, housing, anything that you can think of? Sometimes changes like that can really affect them, in ways we don't understand. Another way to help with fighting is to make sure that the cage has two of everything. Two hide boxes, two water bottles, two feed dishes, things like that. I hope your girls start getting along!
hiysinphlay
00 L a u r e n 00

User Image
These two little guys were together for 3 months with absolutely no problems. And then one day one of the boys just decided he was going to try and kill the other one :/ It was around the time that I adopted a new girl, I think that somehow the scent messed with him. But I also adopted the problem boy from a horrible pet store who does not selectively breed.

So definitely watch them, it could be a problem. I've never had a bad fight with girls though, so long as the cage is appropriately sized. Has anything changed recently? Adopted a new rat? Diet, housing, anything that you can think of? Sometimes changes like that can really affect them, in ways we don't understand. Another way to help with fighting is to make sure that the cage has two of everything. Two hide boxes, two water bottles, two feed dishes, things like that. I hope your girls start getting along!

Ugh. That is so sad.. Poor little boys.. My Sammie was a feeder rat, and acted much different than Jack. Now, I have him 'tamed' to be nice; a pet. Not food. So they get along minus the occasional brawl. I lost my two other girls a few weeks ago and moved the both of them into a cage that is the same size as my boys' so they should be okay. I generally feed by hand, or hide the food about the cage so that they don't get bored. I do not have two water bottles though. I'll put a smaller one along their big one to see. They also have plenty of places to sleep. Lucy prefers a hide hole, and Roxy likes to sleep under all of the bedding. xD not no much a hide hole. I will be watching them close now. I'm just worried because I'm making plans
To build them an extremely large cage to roam about.
I don't want another fighting death. Lucy always has been more aggressive.

Romantic Regular

8,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Jacob 100
I am proud to say that I am a new rat momma xD Little freaky about it (in the way of taking 20 pictures of them every day) but I'm getting better ... slowly lol

User Image This is Tarra, my Berkshire and the one that will hold still for camera shots

User Image This is Diamond (Dia for short), my Black Hooded :3 She seems to not like the camera but is very interested in my phone when it's not being a camera.

They're still babies though I've really got no idea how old they are. The pet store I got them from said 3 months but after seeing a friend's rat that was 3 months, there's no way lol Anyway, wanted to introduce myself n_n

I know the pictures are small but Facebook didn't want to agree with Gaia then Photobucket was being difficult -_-

If you want to see the original size pictures (and more lol) then clicky

Beloved Prophet

11,500 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Marathon 300
hiysinphlay
Caption Kiya

Most times I just ignore it, and they settle it in a little bit. I've also heard that if you disrupt dominance fights that it can make things worse, it is important that they sort things out. It's the boys who worry me, because I've had boys literally trying to kill each other before. Vanilla helps a lot c: it covers up their scents, really great for introductions with new rats, I don't think I've had a rat lick at it before xD

Ps balls are very bad o-o I hope you don't put them in there too long or too often. Since rats have respiratory problems, being trapped in that small amount of space with any amount of ammonia, can be damaging. Plus if it's a small ball, it could really damage their backs, it'd have to be at least 12"

oh no, this ball is huge and meant for rats and chinchillas to run around in. I only put her in there for a few minutes to calm down and it seams to work.

Kawaii Girl

Update on Bean! ^^;

I've been giving him 1/8 of a tsp of medicine (generic brand Dimetapp) every morning and evening. The other day I put 1/2 a tsp in the water bottle he shares with Buddy so he was getting constant, small doses of the medicine. Neither of them avoided the water/taste, and there's no negative effect on Buddy, so I think that worked out ok. Bean's wheezing has gotten a bit better, I think! Sometimes, I will hear a little bit of coughing/hacking, but mostly just little sneezes here and there. His nose still looks bloody a lot of the time, but he is grooming (himself and Buddy), eating, and hoarding food behind my Gamecube .. xD; Bean has a lot of energy (literally bouncing and bounding around the floor) and always eager to play and climb.

Hopefully he continues getting better! ~

Invisible Citizen

User Image

So I haven't really posted here in ages, I apologize for that. ;c
I've just been very busy with life the last little while. All my rats are doing well though, all still alive at least.
I was expecting that Skit would have passed on by now (she's a fairly old rat and has been slowing down) but she's still going pretty strong. (:
Luna had a bit of a respiratory problem but that's all cleared up now.

I hope you guys and your rats have been well. ♥ I should be posting more now, at least for the next few weeks. :D

emi desu
Update on Bean! ^^;

I've been giving him 1/8 of a tsp of medicine (generic brand Dimetapp) every morning and evening. The other day I put 1/2 a tsp in the water bottle he shares with Buddy so he was getting constant, small doses of the medicine. Neither of them avoided the water/taste, and there's no negative effect on Buddy, so I think that worked out ok. Bean's wheezing has gotten a bit better, I think! Sometimes, I will hear a little bit of coughing/hacking, but mostly just little sneezes here and there. His nose still looks bloody a lot of the time, but he is grooming (himself and Buddy), eating, and hoarding food behind my Gamecube .. xD; Bean has a lot of energy (literally bouncing and bounding around the floor) and always eager to play and climb.

I'm glad that he seems to be getting better. I feel that he would be better off getting it in the morning and evening instead of in the water bottle. The water would need to be changed a lot to keep it fresh and okay. As he gets better, his nose should clear up. :3

Kawaii Girl

00 L a u r e n 00
emi desu
Update on Bean! ^^;

I'm glad that he seems to be getting better. I feel that he would be better off getting it in the morning and evening instead of in the water bottle. The water would need to be changed a lot to keep it fresh and okay. As he gets better, his nose should clear up. :3

Ah yea, I forgot to mention that. Morning and evening usually, but I was gone most of the day I put it in the bottle and was scared for him to be alone haha. ^^; He seems fine now, too ~ Gonna work out then let them around my room when I'm done. :>

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff