Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dainty Doll

Congratulations, Techno Mermaid! She's gorgeous! An absolutely adorable little lady.

I'm afraid I'm not much help with regards to portion sizes (I've never had a rabbit that small), but as for the nipping, might it be that your wife and her sister maybe are inadvertently pissing her off, or not following her cues? Like for example, if you're petting her and she butts your hand, that's usually a sign that they want you to stop. If your wife and your sister aren't realising that she's trying to tell them to stop, she might resort to nipping to get the message across.
That's all I can think of when it comes to only biting certain people, I'm afraid! sweatdrop

Widow

Lady Bunny

33,515 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
Techno Mermaid

YAY for a new bunny! I would check www.rabbits.org its the house rabbit society webpage and they have lists of how much to give bunnies for all sizes. Also since she is so young think about mixing some alfalfa hay with the timothy. as for how much hay i know thats always unlimited no matter what size bunny

7,200 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
Techno Mermaid

Introducing Baby Meru.

I want to thank the creator of this thread, because without all the information they gave, I wouldn't have known anything about how to take care of a bunny. After reading off several sites, I finally got the courage to ask for my first ever bunny. She is a Netherland Dwarf, and just turned 8 weeks, on the 10th.

She is the cutest, and tiniest little thing ever. It has only been the first day with her, and I absolutely adore her.

Just a question. I got her bread spread, and I have it at one end of her cage, separate from her food, hay, treat, and water. She constantly goes over to the bread spread, and eats that instead, is this normal/alright? Also I give her very small portions of each thing. Her bowl isn't even filled up much, not like up in the picture, I actually took a huge portion of that away from her, and it's only filled a bit now. She has some timothy hay in a toilet paper roll [ What the breeder I spoke to, recommended. ], and a small little block like treat. It's like a hardened version of the timothy hay, if that makes sense. She loves her treat, and LOVES her water. Is this too much for her, or is it just right?

She's also nipping at my wife, and her little sister, but she hasn't nipped at me. Is this an early sign of bad things to come, or is it just because she doesn't know right from wrong yet?

Other than those, she is an absolute joy to have. Her color is black otter, and she has brown eyes. She has a toy bell that hangs from her cage, it has these little wooden shaped banana's, squash, carrots, etc attached to it, that she likes to n** at. She also loves ringing the bell.

Is there an easy way to have her warm up to me? I think she and I, are doing pretty well thus far, but if there's any tips, I'd love to have 'em!

Here's more pictures of my baby;

[Cage] - She absolutely adores the color red. If bunnies are color blind, I simply can't believe it. We have a red popcorn bowl [ empty ] on the ground, and she loves sitting next to it, looking into it, and just observing it. Hence why we bought her a red cage. She loves our red blankets, she just seems to adore the color red...Which makes me laugh, because it's my favorite as well.

[Her, and our maltese][Out of cage][Being held by mommy][Side view]

Congrats on the new bunbun! My almost-first bunbun looked just like her, just 4 years old. I actually keep in touch with the person who adopted her before I could.. XD

She will get bigger, so that cage will not be big enough to keep her in for long periods of time at that point, so I recommend getting NIC panels to make a pen if you don't wanna free-roam her (I'd be afraid because of the dog, in case she gets too rough!) for the future. C:

What do you mean by bread spread? I hope you mean Bed Spread because bread is bad for rabbits XD;;

I give my rabbits block hay sometimes, but only once in a while! It's okay, as long as there is no salt lick XD

A lot of rabbits n**, usually to get your attention/to get you out of their way. But they usually can get kind of aggressive when they go through the terrible teens (usually 6 months old) and that is when I'd recommend her to be spayed. I think my rabbit Solara was spayed incorrectly, and she can be pretty mean sometimes and she even peed on my friend :I

To get my rabbit Solara to like me, I usually lay on my stomach and hold completely still. It gives her the chance to see I'm not gunna hurt her, and she can jump on my back and such.

Tipsy Bunny

Made this, with a toy I have and my modeling bunnies :3 For the Easter season.

User Image

Widow

Lady Bunny

33,515 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
PuddleBunny

User Image
OMG I LOVE THIS can i put it on my fb and gaia sig?

Tipsy Bunny

Levina-jade
PuddleBunny

User Image
OMG I LOVE THIS can i put it on my fb and gaia sig?

Sure :3
PuddleBunny

User Image

May I also put this in my gaia signature? :3 I love it!

Tipsy Bunny

Kammykidd
PuddleBunny

User Image

May I also put this in my gaia signature? :3 I love it!

Sure :3 Thanks~

8,700 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I adopted a 2nd rabbit a few weeks ago biggrin
Her name's Minnie
She's really temperamental and attacks me when I try to get her out of her cage confused
She kinda gets along with my other rabbit, Bugsy.
They can both stay in the same cage, until shes had enough of him and wants out xp
I got her as a playmate for him but they really dont play together yet
I think there's a good possibility that she was put up for adoption because of her temper...
She does like going to that park though, and she walks on the leash very well

Greedy Giver

Sailas has beautiful chinchilla fur, I wish I had a buck with a coat like that. I've been learning about rabbit fur genetics, ya know, they have nine different gene groups that control their fur color and patterns? It's pretty interesting.

Invisible Citizen

User Image
So I got a new rabbit today. o: He's incredibly adorable~
User Image

Sparkly Bunny

Hi everyone.
I've posted here before, but this time I'd like you to meet my Flemish Giant boy bunny, Mr Bunbun!
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.(he was still quite small here.)

I adopted him because my friend could no longer take care of him.
He's an indoor rabbit, about 8 months old.

I would like to get some tips though, for training him.
How do you train them to become calm when you need to pick them up?
I never pick him up as it's not really needed, but for lets say, something like the vet, he'd completely panic if you pick him up. Any ideas?
Also he's a very, very curious nibbler. And I mean VERY. everything has been nibbled on or tugged on. I'd like to minimise this.
and walking with a harness on.
I bought a harness for him, but somehow he's able to get it off, every single time. I'd like to get him sort of trained so I can walk him out in the garden when it's nice weather.

Also, is it necessary to get him vaccinated when he lives indoors? my outside rabbits get vaccinated twice a year.

thanks in advance =)
My rabbit died on Saturday, in a very terrible way. We had recently adopted a second dog and he'd been barking at the rabbit. So we made the rule to keep my door closed to keep them separated. My mom kept coming and going from my room and left the door open. The dog ran into the cage, breaking through and killed the rabbit. It wasn't bloody at all but he did break her neck so she went quickly. We gave this dog back to the foster care program as I couldn't look at him anymore. I'm doing fine now, but I have been crying off and on the past few days.

I have some trips coming up so I'm definitely not getting a new pet until I return. I'm considering several ideas: another rabbit, second cat, or a hedgehog. I'll probably have a better idea what I want when the time comes.

Sparkly Bunny

Sullen BabyDoll05
My rabbit died on Saturday, in a very terrible way. We had recently adopted a second dog and he'd been barking at the rabbit. So we made the rule to keep my door closed to keep them separated. My mom kept coming and going from my room and left the door open. The dog ran into the cage, breaking through and killed the rabbit. It wasn't bloody at all but he did break her neck so she went quickly. We gave this dog back to the foster care program as I couldn't look at him anymore. I'm doing fine now, but I have been crying off and on the past few days.

I have some trips coming up so I'm definitely not getting a new pet until I return. I'm considering several ideas: another rabbit, second cat, or a hedgehog. I'll probably have a better idea what I want when the time comes.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Something very similar happened to my hamster which I loved dearly, so I know how you feel about it.

7,200 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
Yosh the Panda
Hi everyone.
I've posted here before, but this time I'd like you to meet my Flemish Giant boy bunny, Mr Bunbun!
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.(he was still quite small here.)

I adopted him because my friend could no longer take care of him.
He's an indoor rabbit, about 8 months old.

I would like to get some tips though, for training him.
How do you train them to become calm when you need to pick them up?
I never pick him up as it's not really needed, but for lets say, something like the vet, he'd completely panic if you pick him up. Any ideas?
Also he's a very, very curious nibbler. And I mean VERY. everything has been nibbled on or tugged on. I'd like to minimise this.
and walking with a harness on.
I bought a harness for him, but somehow he's able to get it off, every single time. I'd like to get him sort of trained so I can walk him out in the garden when it's nice weather.

Also, is it necessary to get him vaccinated when he lives indoors? my outside rabbits get vaccinated twice a year.

thanks in advance =)

awww! congrats on the new cutie! he's lovely and sure to be a great companion- big bunnies are great! picking up is a difficult thing- i just picked up my rabbits constantly. they still tend to hate it, and usually big bunnies hate it the most, but just be sure to support them completely when you pick them up and hope they get used to it! see, rabbits are prey animals so they imagine we're catching them and picking them up to eat them D:

bunnies chew. like- a LOT. the only thing you can do is try to divert his attention from whatever you don't want him to chew by providing him with lots of things to chew on. cardboard boxes and toilet paper/paper towel rolls are a big hit in my household.

what kind of harness did you get him?

and i don't think so. my rabbits have never been vaccinated and they live indoors. they're spayed/neutered though!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff