Welcome to Gaia! ::

Desirable Sex Symbol

7,100 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200
My mom has a 8-9 month old Yorkshire Terrier, and when I gave her a new toy she chewed on it a bit then started whinning. There was blood on the toy, and upon closer inspection of her mouth, I noticed she had a tooth missing.
I've never had a dog before, but since she is my mom's best friend, I was wanting to know if we should be alarmed or is it normal for puppies to lose their teeth? Will they grow back?

Liberal Codger

Sounds normal to me. Puppies lose their teeth just like small children do.

Desirable Sex Symbol

7,100 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200
Ayamae Akahana

Ohhh. So she is just losing baby teeth. Thank god x3 *falls over in relief*
Me was worried ^-^

8,000 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
It's nothing. All my pups went through that stage. We actually bought a soothing "teething" toy at Petco. I can't remember what it was, but you ran it under water and froze it. It was like it was made out of something like burlap, so when they cheaed on it, it wasn't like a hard ice cube.

Only problem we had with that is the fact that it did soak up some blood when one lost a tooth on it....Which came out, but still seemed unsanitary.

fReemade Ran's Partner

Omnipresent Traveler

Yeah nothing to worry about, it's growing up and losing those sharp puppy teeth. Soon adult teeth will start to grow. Just keep up daily oral hygiene and the new teeth will stay in for all long time.
As the others have said, it's nothing to worry about. Make sure you continue to provide a variety of toys for her while she goes through the teething process. Most of the time, you won't even notice that she's lost them, but be aware you may step on them and they may potentially hurt. Some dogs may also puke from swallowing them (not a big deal if they do get swallowed)

For my dogs, we'd dampen and freeze rags rather than buying special products - the same would work for soft toys. Also a good way to provide dogs with cool toys during the summer heat.

Muscular Counselor

11,200 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Millionaire 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
iEatedUrStrawberry
Ayamae Akahana

Ohhh. So she is just losing baby teeth. Thank god x3 *falls over in relief*
Me was worried ^-^
Yep. When they say that puppies and kittens are like small, furry children...they weren't lying. They practically go through the same developmental stages that human children do, but much faster. Hell, I have nine cats and I could not tell you how many times I went around my house and I would step on or even being legally blind, spot with my eyes that one small kitten tooth lying on the furniture or floors. It is just their little baby teeth falling out. And sorry if this is creepy, but I always found them too cute to pitch so I just threw them all into an old medicine bottle, sealed it and hid it away in my great-grandma's old Bible box of memories.

4laugh
That happened to my kitten once, I was horrified, I thought she got some awful gum disease and all her teeth were falling out or something. emotion_drool
But it's completely normal! No worries!

Distinct Lunatic

2,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Loiterer 100
My mom's puppy is teething right now. She was playing with my puppy last week and lost one of her fangs on the carpet.

It's normal and chances are you'll never see the tooth because most animals swallow them.

Although upon further inspection, I'm worried about why your mom's dog is teething at 8 months old...mine was 6 months (chihuahua/pomeranian) when she had her full set of adult teeth and my mom's dog is 5 months (Sheltie). But I've never owned a Yorkie, maybe they teeth later?

Anyway, there does come a point when you may want to have a vet pull some of the baby teeth, it can cause the teeth to come in wrong if the baby teeth are left. The vet had to pull two of mine's because they weren't coming out and now the tooth that is behind her canine isn't as far out as it should be because it couldn't grow when it needed to :/
It's normal. Your mom's dog will grow a new tooth.
No need to worry about it. She's just a baby which means she's gonna be losing teeth maybe like crazy, and I would buy a teething toy at Petco.

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

seems a little late, but yes puppies loose their baby teeth.
I guess just keep an eye on her and make sure she has a new tooth coming in to replace it. lol usually the new tooth is right on it's way, if not already there.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff