Welcome to Gaia! ::

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
so haehl hasnt been doing good, her walking is getting even worse. hubby and i dont know if she will be with us for another year. trying to make her as happy and comfy while we can though. im very happy i adopted her and have had a wonderful time taking care of her

what do i expect from slyiet? and what should i do to make things easier on him? they have lived together for a year and are pretty close. should i get him a new friend to concentrate on? ive never seen him sad about anything other than being stuck in the cage when im sick so i have no idea how he will react. ive read that ferrets take the loss of their cagemates pretty hard and im worried about him
Oh no! I suppose your tests came back with bad results? What did her vet diagnose her with in the end? Do you know what the results of her BG was? Thank god I've never had to deal with insulinoma (yet... knock on wood) but from what I know of it, its the worst disease to treat.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Henrika
Oh no! I suppose your tests came back with bad results? What did her vet diagnose her with in the end? Do you know what the results of her BG was? Thank god I've never had to deal with insulinoma (yet... knock on wood) but from what I know of it, its the worst disease to treat.

No one can find anything wrong with her so we all think its a mental defect since she is a mill ferret.

No one has any idea what to do. Its frustrating sad
Shanna66
Henrika

No one can find anything wrong with her so we all think its a mental defect since she is a mill ferret.

sad
What were the results of her blood glucose & x-ray?

It might very well be that she has some kind of genetic defect, but since you say it only starting getting worse now it could be another illness making it worse, which of course makes it incredibly frustrating & difficult for your vet to diagnose.

If everything else has been ruled out and its a mental defect & seizures, then why not try using medication to control it? Phenobarbital or something? (If you expect the worst, I don't really know why you wouldn't want to try it.)

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/SeizuresFerrets.htm

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Henrika
Shanna66
Henrika

sad

It might very well be that she has some kind of genetic defect, but since you say it only starting getting worse now it could be another illness making it worse, which of course makes it incredibly frustrating & difficult for your vet to diagnose.

If everything else has been ruled out and its a mental defect & seizures, then why not try using medication to control it? Phenobarbital or something? (If you expect the worst, I don't really know why you wouldn't want to try it.)

All tests and everything that we have done say she is a healthy little ferret.

She doesnt have siezures but ill ask my vet about meds we could try.

She isnt acting like she is going to die right now buy if she does die before my boy I just want to know what to expect from him
Shanna66
Henrika
Shanna66
Henrika

sad

She isnt acting like she is going to die right now buy if she does die before my boy I just want to know what to expect from him
The "drunkenness" would be considered a seizure. They can be subtle, they're not always full on grand-map.

One of my friends has epilepsy, and her seizures most common present in a minor head twitch. You wouldn't be able to tell she's having a seizure most of the time, but its enough she can't focus on anything while its happening.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Henrika
Shanna66
Henrika
Shanna66
Henrika

sad

The "drunkenness" would be considered a seizure. They can be subtle, they're not always full on grand-map.

One of my friends has epilepsy, and her seizures most common present in a minor head twitch. You wouldn't be able to tell she's having a seizure most of the time, but its enough she can't focus on anything while its happening.

So seizures can be a constant thing like that? I really dont know much about them and no one that has looked at her has even mentioned the word seizure
Shanna66
Henrika
Shanna66
Henrika
Shanna66
Henrika

sad

So seizures can be a constant thing like that? I really dont know much about them and no one that has looked at her has even mentioned the word seizure
seizures are essentially loss of muscle control, where signals from your brain to your body go haywire. I would consider partial loss of control over leg muscles seizing, if your vet suspects the cause to be a neurological problem unrelated to insulinomas. I'd give your vet a call and see what they think about trying seizure meds.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Henrika
Shanna66
Henrika
Shanna66
Henrika
sad

seizures are essentially loss of muscle control, where signals from your brain to your body go haywire. I would consider partial loss of control over leg muscles seizing, if your vet suspects the cause to be a neurological problem unrelated to insulinomas. I'd give your vet a call and see what they think about trying seizure meds.

Ill talk with them about it. I know seizure meds are hard on the animal's body so I really dont want to use them unless I have to. Im about to add a 3rd vet to my ferret's vet list. I heard of a vet in my area with more experience with ferrets so I need to ask around a bit more and figure out the name of their clinic.

I tried looking up ferret seizures and cant really find much. Google just shows me sites talking about insiloma or however its spelled.
Shanna66
Henrika
Shanna66
Henrika
Shanna66
Henrika
sad

Ill talk with them about it. I know seizure meds are hard on the animal's body so I really dont want to use them unless I have to. Im about to add a 3rd vet to my ferret's vet list. I heard of a vet in my area with more experience with ferrets so I need to ask around a bit more and figure out the name of their clinic.

I tried looking up ferret seizures and cant really find much. Google just shows me sites talking about insiloma or however its spelled.
Insulinomas are the most common reason for seizures in ferrets, which is why I was asking if your vet had explained the results of Haehls blood glucose test to rule that out because the treatment is totally different.

You're right that seizure meds are not fun drugs to be on, but I can tell you that once the dosage is corrected they can make such a world of difference. An animal left to seize constantly - even if its relatively minor seizing will eventually cause so much damage to the animal it would be cruel to let that continue unchecked.

Oh! Sometime else I wanted to add with reference to the BG test because I know you had her blood tested at a clinic that doesn't treat ferrets. In order to rule out insulinoma the blood panel must be run after 4 hours of fasting in order to accurately determine if the ferret is affected with insulinoma. If she didn't fast before the test, then the test would have been useless unfortunately.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Henrika
Shanna66
Henrika
Shanna66
Henrika

Insulinomas are the most common reason for seizures in ferrets, which is why I was asking if your vet had explained the results of Haehls blood glucose test to rule that out because the treatment is totally different.

You're right that seizure meds are not fun drugs to be on, but I can tell you that once the dosage is corrected they can make such a world of difference. An animal left to seize constantly - even if its relatively minor seizing will eventually cause so much damage to the animal it would be cruel to let that continue unchecked.

Oh! Sometime else I wanted to add with reference to the BG test because I know you had her blood tested at a clinic that doesn't treat ferrets. In order to rule out insulinoma the blood panel must be run after 4 hours of fasting in order to accurately determine if the ferret is affected with insulinoma. If she didn't fast before the test, then the test would have been useless unfortunately.

She fasted. The vet that ran the blood knows the basics of vetting ferrets and a few of the techs know a lot about treating sick ferrets.

Honestly I wish her bloodwork had come back bad, at least then we would know whats going on and how to treat it

Also since it is a constant thing do you think it could be an inner ear issue maybe instead of siezures? Or would that have shown up in an xray? I just really want to make sure its siezures before putting her on hard drugs
Shanna66
Henrika
Shanna66
Henrika
Shanna66
Henrika

She fasted. The vet that ran the blood knows the basics of vetting ferrets and a few of the techs know a lot about treating sick ferrets.

Honestly I wish her bloodwork had come back bad, at least then we would know whats going on and how to treat it

Also since it is a constant thing do you think it could be an inner ear issue maybe instead of siezures? Or would that have shown up in an xray? I just really want to make sure its siezures before putting her on hard drugs
I have noooo idea. These are conversations you need to have with your vet. Discuss the idea of trialling seizure meds (assuming heart & kidneys etc. were all normal) to see what effect, if any, they may have.

From experience with a cat with neurological epilepsy, phenobarbitol gave her a new lease on life. Yes, at first it was difficult to watch her acting so uncoordinated from being doped up, but once we determined the lowest dose that would control her seizures she has lived with an excellent quality of life that she simply did not have prior to the medication with constant seizing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff