Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Bunny

14,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Married 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Latrans
-Love Roleplaying-

He does great within the family. He just does not like you if you arent family. If you come over, you have to be slowly introduced, otherwise he will herd you out of the house.

When my boyfriend and I went back to visit my mom we spent the week there, and I forgot how aggressive Brutus was. He sat ontop of him in the bed, his face in Weston's, glaring at him and growling softly all night long each night. Also followed him around suspiciously, glaring and growling, and wouldn't let my boyfriend within a foot of me for three days in a row before he finally accepted him.

But once he accepts you he turns into a complete doofus butterball. It's not as much aggressive as it is protective over his pack. sweatdrop But we still work on it, sent him for police training, and constantly practice the training with him.

I've never heard of rally... What is it?

Oh, our dogs, especially my dad's, don't just try to herd you out. lol

I've never heard of sending dogs to the police for training. There's no way there'd be the kind of funding for that sort of program around here; the police are way too busy. I'm not sure why the police would be the best choice to train a pet dog anyway.

Rally is like obedience lite. It's a lot of fun!

He learned commands (both voice and hand signals, and clicker), also how to properly defend our home in case someone breaks in. It costed a lot, but our neighbor was a NY city cop, and he pulled some strings for us. Brutus is mainly a home guard dog.

It sounds like fun! Brutus wouldn't go for it I don't think. He gets stubborn occasionally.

Devoted Inquisitor

-Love Roleplaying-

He learned commands (both voice and hand signals, and clicker), also how to properly defend our home in case someone breaks in. It costed a lot, but our neighbor was a NY city cop, and he pulled some strings for us. Brutus is mainly a home guard dog.

It sounds like fun! Brutus wouldn't go for it I don't think. He gets stubborn occasionally.

How do you use the clicker as a command? I've never used it that way.

I sort of doubt it's the dog--most of the time it's a problem of motivators.

Beloved Bunny

14,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Married 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Latrans
-Love Roleplaying-

How do you use the clicker as a command? I've never used it that way.

I sort of doubt it's the dog--most of the time it's a problem of motivators.

Oh, similar to morse code. Certain amounts of clicks at certain speeds in specific patterns mean different things. It's a b***h and a half to teach, but its a good challenge for him. We reinforce it with ahdn signals so he learns what they mean. Eventually we stop doing the hand signals and he recognizes the clicks.

Devoted Inquisitor

-Love Roleplaying-

Oh, similar to morse code. Certain amounts of clicks at certain speeds in specific patterns mean different things. It's a b***h and a half to teach, but its a good challenge for him. We reinforce it with ahdn signals so he learns what they mean. Eventually we stop doing the hand signals and he recognizes the clicks.

That sounds like a ton of extra work with no real benefit. I'm glad he likes it!

Beloved Bunny

14,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Married 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Latrans
-Love Roleplaying-

That sounds like a ton of extra work with no real benefit. I'm glad he likes it!

Oh it really is.

But there is a bit of a benefit. It keeps him mentally stimulated, and that's not an easy thing to do with shepherds.

Devoted Inquisitor

-Love Roleplaying-

Oh it really is.

But there is a bit of a benefit. It keeps him mentally stimulated, and that's not an easy thing to do with shepherds.

We never had a whole lot of trouble with it when I was growing up.

I mean obviously there's no harm in teaching complicated cues, but for me it's way more fun to teach and proof a variety of tricks
I have a gazillion puppy pictures now. Picked him up yesterday!

You can watch his live stream here. Puppy Live Stream

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image

Beloved Bunny

14,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Married 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Latrans
-Love Roleplaying-

Oh it really is.

We never had a whole lot of trouble with it when I was growing up.

I mean obviously there's no harm in teaching complicated cues, but for me it's way more fun to teach and proof a variety of tricks

We kinda ran out of tricks. He knows the basic sit, shake, lay, hi five, play dead, roll over, pray, statue (similar to beg but he holds it for ten seconds or more), point, bow, stand, stay, jump, spin, going to a place on command, walk backwards on command, fetch certain items on command, yawning on command, put his toys away on command, act ashamed on command, crawl, limp, bang bang, speak, cross paws, to go into the "elevator butt" stance. I think it's commonly known as hips up or something like that.

If you know any tricks we haven't taught him please tell me!

It's why we went to clicker training. When you run out of things to teach him, he then gets bored. I think my grandpa has been making huge puzzles for the backyard that dispense treats for him when he completes the puzzle, and some are pretty complicated...

Demonic Lunatic

Emo Lollipop
I have a gazillion puppy pictures now. Picked him up yesterday!

You can watch his live stream here. Puppy Live Stream

User Image

sooo cuteeeeeee

Pierced Miko

15,575 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Invisibility 100
Joey (rat-cha puppy) and Marley (torti kitten)
There's only 5 months between them, Marley being older

Devoted Inquisitor

-Love Roleplaying-

We kinda ran out of tricks. He knows the basic sit, shake, lay, hi five, play dead, roll over, pray, statue (similar to beg but he holds it for ten seconds or more), point, bow, stand, stay, jump, spin, going to a place on command, walk backwards on command, fetch certain items on command, yawning on command, put his toys away on command, act ashamed on command, crawl, limp, bang bang, speak, cross paws, to go into the "elevator butt" stance. I think it's commonly known as hips up or something like that.

If you know any tricks we haven't taught him please tell me!

It's why we went to clicker training. When you run out of things to teach him, he then gets bored. I think my grandpa has been making huge puzzles for the backyard that dispense treats for him when he completes the puzzle, and some are pretty complicated...

That's all awesome! I would work on proofing them at higher levels of distraction, in different locations. I also love heeling, it's my favorite activity.

When I say clicker training I mean something totally different--isn't that funny?
Link
User Image

User Image

This is when we first brought him home. He's gotten SO much bigger and darker. He reminded me of a raccoon.
User Image

Little Zelda
Her color is making me anxious. She's gray and white, but then she has pretty little places of tan throughout, then along her spine is a distinct black line that gets darker everyday. Wonder if she will end up sable, black, or stay mostly gray.

User Image

User Image

Feline Bookworm

User Image

I already posted pictures of my kitties in another thread, so I'll keep to pictures of my dog!
This is Jet, my English Cocker Spaniel~

In the park!
User Image

His five month birthday, my cousin and I put some candles in a dog treat and pretended
it was a cake! He was pretty happy.
User Image

I miss that puppy fluff! ;-;
User Image

I love showing off my pretty pets.
This is peanut I have had her since I was little
User Image
This one is zoey and she is around 6 years old
User Image
This is ziggy he is either 5 or 6
User Image
This is sprite I have had her for about 2 years now
User Image
This is misty and I have had her for about a year now. This is an older picture of her.
User Image
This is gray. I got him for Christmas
User Image
This is my newest baby I got her a few days ago and her name is pepper
User Image

Lonely Saint

User Image

User Image

User Image

They're icky
The lab's a three years old airhead and the kitty a nine months old has-to-go donation from my friend's roommate; they couldn't find a place for him so I volunteered to take him, if he gets along with the wolfcreature and fits in my budget.

Let's just say they get along just fine.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff