Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Sex Symbol

AddyCadaver

This is my new Pitbull puppy. Her name is Willow. She was born deaf and we rescued her from abusive owners.
User Image

She has a hole in her neck where she was bit by another dog. Probably from one of the parents, when they tried to stop her from running under the fence to get to safety. She is such a sweet dog.
User Image

Chatty Cat

12,000 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
I have a friend who has a pit/lab mix and hes the most loveable goofball of a dog ive ever known. He hasnt barked once since shes adopted him, Doesnt get up on the furniture and gives up his dog bed for the pushy cats. biggrin I wouldnt own a big dog personally (alot of work goes into dogs and I dont have the time currently) but every pit Ive encountered has been a lover of people. biggrin Shitzu's on the other hand.... gonk Lol. Way to fight a good fight and standing up for a breed that is one of the most loving!
Your dog is so cute!!!!!!!!

I truthfully want a pit. There is a dog at my local animal shelter that I just fell in love with. Sadly I can't adopt him. Every apartment so far has breed restrictions, or a "weight limit" (which changes depending on who you talk to... confused ), and also the ever-famous parental restrictions.
But luckily enough he is staying with the best foster family ever so I feel a little better about it.

Dapper Lunatic

6,875 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
This is our Daisy(Here is another picture CLICK). She was a stray that kept coming back to our yard to play with our neighbor's dog, & in the end we took her in.

In general she is a sweet dog, her only problem is she doesn't listen. We are still working on that, but she'll understand "no means no" eventually.... I hope. @_@

Devoted Inquisitor

Evil Posessed Puppet Doll
This is our Daisy(Here is another picture CLICK). She was a stray that kept coming back to our yard to play with our neighbor's dog, & in the end we took her in.

In general she is a sweet dog, her only problem is she doesn't listen. We are still working on that, but she'll understand "no means no" eventually.... I hope. @_@

What kind of training methods have you been trying?

She's so cute.

Dapper Lunatic

6,875 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Latrans

She's so cute.

We've only tried to scold her in a commanding voice, & some method that my mom found on the internet, which said to make a loud sound when she isn't looking but is doing something bad.

We haven't really tried anything else, but I am constantly getting upset at my mom since she likes to give our pets treats, just because she loves them.

I love them too, but I feel that the treats should be a reward for doing something good & listening, rather then "because you love them", You can show them you love them by treating them right, paying attention to them, & making sure they get enough food & water, not just by giving them treats for no reason.

Devoted Inquisitor

Latrans

She's so cute.

We've only tried to scold her in a commanding voice, & some method that my mom found on the internet, which said to make a loud sound when she isn't looking but is doing something bad.

We haven't really tried anything else, but I am constantly getting upset at my mom since she likes to give our pets treats, just because she loves them.

I love them too, but I feel that the treats should be a reward for doing something good & listening, rather then "because you love them", You can show them you love them by treating them right, paying attention to them, & making sure they get enough food & water, not just by giving them treats for no reason.

Have you looked at clicker training? Even if you don't end up using a marker to train, there's a lot of really great information out there about marker training.

Dapper Lunatic

6,875 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Latrans
Latrans

She's so cute.

Have you looked at clicker training? Even if you don't end up using a marker to train, there's a lot of really great information out there about marker training.

I don't really know of any specific training methods, we usually get our animals when they are still babies & so it is easier to get the point across to them as they grow up. But we are guessing she was a couple years old by the time we got her, & we aren't really use to any specific training methods or anything that we can use on a bigger dog. @_@

Devoted Inquisitor

Latrans
Latrans

She's so cute.

I don't really know of any specific training methods, we usually get our animals when they are still babies & so it is easier to get the point across to them as they grow up. But we are guessing she was a couple years old by the time we got her, & we aren't really use to any specific training methods or anything that we can use on a bigger dog. @_@

Why wouldn't you want to use specific training methods? confused

Dapper Lunatic

6,875 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Latrans
Latrans
Latrans

She's so cute.

Cause we never had a dog before that wouldn't listen to us, so we don't know any specific methods. But we are trying different things that we find online, cause we really need to get her to start listening. Just the other day she ended up leaving the yard again, & she came back with a sprained paw.

If you could give me a link to a site that explains some methods we could use, or if you can explain what clicker training is, I would be grateful. I don't want her to get hurt again because she won't listen to us.

Devoted Inquisitor

Latrans
Latrans

Cause we never had a dog before that wouldn't listen to us, so we don't know any specific methods. But we are trying different things that we find online, cause we really need to get her to start listening. Just the other day she ended up leaving the yard again, & she came back with a sprained paw.

If you could give me a link to a site that explains some methods we could use, or if you can explain what clicker training is, I would be grateful. I don't want her to get hurt again because she won't listen to us.

I like this video; it's pretty good at explaining the main idea of the clicker. The only problem with this video is that the treats are cut up pretty large, because she has a dane. With Elsie, who only weighs 38lbs, I use things cut up to a little smaller than a pea.

This is a cool youtube channel.
Clicker training and recall.
This website explains things pretty well.

So the reason it's called clicker training is that, typically, you use a clicker. The clicker does not take the place of a reward. The clicker is not a command. All the click does is tell the dog "THAT'S THE BEHAVIOR I LIKE; YOU WILL BE GETTING A REWARD." The clicker is useful because it allows you to add precision and distance when you reward a dog.

Remember, the reward doesn't have to be food, but you do have to use things the dog actually likes. Elsie loves french fries; my dad's dog hates them. Elsie prefers toys (even a stick I just found... especially a stick I just found) to treats. Zobby, my boyfriend's dog, has no interest in toys whatsoever, but he (literally) will ride a skateboard for kibble. Elsie thinks kibble is eh. You can't force something to be rewarding to the dog if it isn't. You also don't have to use the same reward every time. I mix it up a lot, and use whatever is on hand. I find it easier to teach a new behavior with treats, and proof it with a toy. Figure out what works for you.

The reason you might want to use the clicker instead of your voice is that your voice is inconsistent--it sounds different every time. It's also slower than the clicker is. You might also accidentally say your marker word when you aren't going to reward the dog, which could be confusing.

If you have specific questions, I'd love to have a go at them. :] I'm not sure what kind of information would be helpful, but I love (love!) talking about clicker training, and I'd love to answer questions for you.

Dapper Lunatic

6,875 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Latrans
Latrans
Latrans

I like this video; it's pretty good at explaining the main idea of the clicker. The only problem with this video is that the treats are cut up pretty large, because she has a dane. With Elsie, who only weighs 38lbs, I use things cut up to a little smaller than a pea.

This is a cool youtube channel.
Clicker training and recall.
This website explains things pretty well.

So the reason it's called clicker training is that, typically, you use a clicker. The clicker does not take the place of a reward. The clicker is not a command. All the click does is tell the dog "THAT'S THE BEHAVIOR I LIKE; YOU WILL BE GETTING A REWARD." The clicker is useful because it allows you to add precision and distance when you reward a dog.

Remember, the reward doesn't have to be food, but you do have to use things the dog actually likes. Elsie loves french fries; my dad's dog hates them. Elsie prefers toys (even a stick I just found... especially a stick I just found) to treats. Zobby, my boyfriend's dog, has no interest in toys whatsoever, but he (literally) will ride a skateboard for kibble. Elsie thinks kibble is eh. You can't force something to be rewarding to the dog if it isn't. You also don't have to use the same reward every time. I mix it up a lot, and use whatever is on hand. I find it easier to teach a new behavior with treats, and proof it with a toy. Figure out what works for you.

The reason you might want to use the clicker instead of your voice is that your voice is inconsistent--it sounds different every time. It's also slower than the clicker is. You might also accidentally say your marker word when you aren't going to reward the dog, which could be confusing.

If you have specific questions, I'd love to have a go at them. :] I'm not sure what kind of information would be helpful, but I love (love!) talking about clicker training, and I'd love to answer questions for you.

Thank you very much. :3
I'll send this stuff to my mom so that we can try clicker training for Daisy. If I have any other questions I'll ask. ^_^

Profitable Hunter

7,500 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Profitable 100
Pitbulls are awsome dogs! in fact the us goverments top drug dog is a pitbull!!!!!! it is all in how you raise them any dog can be vicious if taught that way!!! FOR ALL YOU PITBULL LOVERS AND HATERS CHECK OUT JOHN SHIPE'S SONG PITBULL BLUESON YOUTUBE!!!!
AddyCadaver
Everyone knows them by the informal name of "pit bull", but they're more than just the staged photographs of snarling, angry beasts of terror. There's actually a variety of pits classified under that single moniker! Also - Angry beasts of terror? Ha! That's a funny joke, right? All of the pitties I know are adorable balls of love and cuddles. Don't forget that drool, too. Yuck.

So tell me - Which of you folks have a pittie? Do you want one? Maybe you're one of those sensible people who stand up for our lovely pits? ^_^
I want to see pictures! Show off and brag about your pitties, or maybe one that belongs to a friend. Also, do you have a favorite breed of pittie? Personally, mine is the American Pit Bull Terrier. I have one! If I were to choose a second, I would have to say Bull Terrier. I love their pointed snouts, it's so quirky. I won't SHOW favorites, though, because I love all of them. <3 <3

This is Blue! She's 11 but doesn't look that old, eh? She's a bucket of energy, and a big ham. There isn't a second I'm alone when she's in the house (she's laying on my bed right now) and loves stealing attention from our guests. Despite the fact she's an infant in elderly fur, she's loyal, protective, patient, and eager to love/be loved.
User Image
She loves this doll. I woke up one night and caught her cuddling with it, and found this absolutely precious. <3 She woke up right after, so I was happy that I got a picture.
User Image

Your dog is lovely I am a huge pit bull advocate

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas