Welcome to Gaia! ::

I dont know much about pit balls. So in all honesty I could be speaking rubbish. But I think it depends more on their upbringing, but like anything it can also be dependent on its natural personality/ behavior. I just think it depends on the owner, so they should be monitored more closely, if they think the dog is a danger, rather than the dog itself.

High-functioning Junker

I agree. Even when sometimes animals may tend to bee more or less calm due breed, this whole "Pitbulls are vicious killers" Is pure bullshit. A dog isn't bad because of his breed, but because of how it has been trained. If you train a dog to be a fighting dog don't get surpriced when it kills a kid or something. You could teach any big or medium race to fight and they would do the same.
Pitbulls cand be just as lovely and silly as any dog. They just need owners who treat them nicely and lovingly, and they grow to be silly sweety cutie pies.

Dangerous Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
Pit Bulls are not at all bad dogs, but the reason why they are banned in a lot of states is because people are misusing their nature and forcing them to fight, kill, and be aggressive towards other dogs/people. Keep in mind, Pit Bulls were meant to be hunting dogs. It's part of their nature to kill rabbits, birds, and other small game. Today’s pit bull is a descendant of the original English bull-baiting dog—a dog that was bred to bite and hold bulls, bears and other large animals around the face and head. When baiting large animals was outlawed in the 1800s, people turned instead to fighting their dogs against each other. These larger, slower bull-baiting dogs were crossed with smaller, quicker terriers to produce a more agile and athletic dog for fighting other dogs. With proper training, your pit bull can be a great & loving family dog. However, keep in mind of the origins of your pet. I will be honest, when I see a pit bull roaming around or even being walked by it's owner, I steer clear out of that dog's direction or approach with caution. Not because I think ill of these dogs, but because people have been so irresponsible with these breeds that I don't know what to expect. IMHO, all dog owners should receive proper information about their breed of pet & the correct knowledge on how to train them (Please do not hit your pets). But out of all dog breeds, pit bulls are my personal favorite. I love their fat heads!

Eternal Phantom

I love pit bulls.
I have one, two of my neighbors have them, my employer has one, two of my former coworkers when I worked in a pet store had them.
They're amazing, lovable, huggable, smelly, and sweet.

I understand why people are biased against them, albeit a lot of it is just due to a filter of information.
Pit bulls are one of the handful of specific breeds of dogs that are people pleasers.
As such, they're extremely easy to train because they want you to be proud of them, to praise them, to be happy.
Their emotions are extremely dependent on their owners'/caretakers' personality and how they treat the dog.
So, obviously, if the caretaker is being monstrous toward the pit bull, the pit bull is going to mirror that emotion.
They can be dangerous and they can be scary and sometimes [as much as it pains me to say it] they cannot be saved.

Not too long ago [maybe a year or so], a fire protection engineer I had worked with was the captain of a first responder fire department team that was called in on a pit bull attack.
Apparently the pit bull, who'd been staying with this woman for five days attacked her out of the blue "completely unprovoked" and did some major damage to three of her limbs.
Now, as it turns out, another coworker of my mine at this engineering firm knew the owner of the pit that attacked the woman and the woman turned out to be the mother of the owner.
Now, what happened to her was terrible- but I cannot understand for the life of me, how that was unprovoked- but I also only know what was told to me.
BUT because of THAT attack, my bosses called me into their office and told me that I was no longer allowed to bring my own pit bull into the workplace, I had to remove all pictures of him from my work area, and I wasn't to mention him at all from thereon out.

People filter the information that is presented to them: you hear about the more "aggressive" breeds in the news doing terrible things more often than not.
Pit bulls, German shepherds, rotties, etc, all are painted with to be these terrible breeds and people wonder why we just don't execute them.
But if there's a good story, daresay a heroic story about any of the "bully breeds", that story gets shoved aside to rot in the gutter.
What about the pit that saved it's owner after she collapsed from being hit by a train and had to have three of it's legs amputated?
What about the one that saved a kid's life when the kid was stung by half a hive of bees and the pit pulled the kid away and back to his house?
Those don't get headlines... But the unprovoked attack with the woman getting mauled, that is something that people always refer to.
That's how they see all pit bulls.

It's sad because people caused this outlook and it cannot go away, but people still use them for pit fighting and for extremely vicious attack dogs.
People don't take care of them, but in reality, they're just like most dogs: stuck forever with a two-year-old mentality.

Their big heads are silly. <3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces