Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Gawker

Shearaha

I found This page which has excerpts from a couple different "studies" that have been done, The last one on the page came from National Geographic channel, and these are the results they came up with. Since we're just talking domestic dogs, I crossed out the wild canids.

malinois - force bite 195 pounds
Dutch Shepherd - force bite 224 pounds
American Pitbull - force bite 235 pounds
German Shepherd - force bite 238 pounds
American Bull dog - force bite 305 pounds
African Wild dog - force bite 317 pounds
Rottweiler - force bite 328 pounds
Wolf - force bite 406 pounds
Mastiffs - force bite 556 pounds
Kangal (Turkish dog) force bite 743 pounds
Hyena - force bite 1000 pounds

Wow! I can't believe Dutchies have such strong bite pressure with such a narrow muzzle. You'd think they'd be more in line with the Malinois.

Then again, maybe that particular Dutchie was really on that day, maybe the Malinois wasn't, who knows? That's the only problem with these bite plate tests.

Aged Hunter

Savage Destiny

Wow! I can't believe Dutchies have such strong bite pressure with such a narrow muzzle. You'd think they'd be more in line with the Malinois.

Then again, maybe that particular Dutchie was really on that day, maybe the Malinois wasn't, who knows? That's the only problem with these bite plate tests.

I thought the same thing. Dutchies are on my short list for my competition dog. My guess is the Mal was off and the Dutchie was really on. Of course where on the plate the bite lands also has an effect...

Thankful Vegetarian

10,400 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
I love them, I'd want to own one just to prove stereotypes wrong.
My father has one, he's mostly white and acts like a big cat. He's such a snuggler and soo sweet!

There's also a pitbull at school, he's on the smaller side and also pretty sweet. He did get into a fight with another dog though and ended up biting a student...

*shrug*

8,000 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
a wishing well
My father has one, he's mostly white and acts like a big cat. He's such a snuggler and soo sweet!

There's also a pitbull at school, he's on the smaller side and also pretty sweet. He did get into a fight with another dog though and ended up biting a student...

*shrug*

You should own one because you like their energy level, size, ease to train or because it fits into your family well.
The fact that the pit is getting into fights and biting people is wrong, it should probably be removed.

Joey 4411

Yeah, it's just a myth that they have a powerful bite. Just like the whole locking of the jaw myth. Pits are fun loving dogs who love to play tug.

People in this forum think APBT are generally aggressive, intolerant, or reactive to other dogs. I've worked with many APBTs at my animal shelter and they are not aggressive most of the time. My shelter puts 20 pits in the same yard and they play. The breed doesn't seem to be very intolerant of other dogs to me...but that's just my observation.

smile
Both of my pits do wonderful around other dogs.
I've also introduced many pits to mine, have rehabilitated a few from dog agression.

Punkin Avis
My friend had a pitty~lab mix. Sweetest goofball evers on teh face of the planet. He never barked, gave his beds to the cats, would rest his head on your lap if sitting on the couch, very quietly creep off the couch if you caught him on it, and hide under the bed if the kitties were fighting.

Sadly, he was lost to us from a heart condition. He didnt come from the best of homes and lived out his last year on this earth in a loving happy home.

All pits I have met have been love bugs. Its the snauzzers you have to watch out for. lol

Fffff, every time you mention those Schnauzers I can't help but laugh. My boy is such a grouch. (A grouch who needs to be groomed. He looks like a hobo doggy.)

9,200 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Tipsy 100
My fiance's mom has one - she's the sweetest dog ever. She just craves attention - she thinks she's a lap dog too. Lol! She'll jump right up into your lap and roll all over you looking for attention. She's also great with their 10 cats, bird, and English Bulldog. Another dog down the street attacked her when she was younger, but she never shows any aggression towards other dogs/animals/people.

Chatty Cat

12,000 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
Lady Fugitivus

Punkin Avis
My friend had a pitty~lab mix. Sweetest goofball evers on teh face of the planet. He never barked, gave his beds to the cats, would rest his head on your lap if sitting on the couch, very quietly creep off the couch if you caught him on it, and hide under the bed if the kitties were fighting.

Sadly, he was lost to us from a heart condition. He didnt come from the best of homes and lived out his last year on this earth in a loving happy home.

All pits I have met have been love bugs. Its the snauzzers you have to watch out for. lol

Fffff, every time you mention those Schnauzers I can't help but laugh. My boy is such a grouch. (A grouch who needs to be groomed. He looks like a hobo doggy.)
Lol. Indeed. Your Lemmy is a handsome man. Even if he looks like a Hobo. lol

I am honest though. D: Ive only ever been bitten by them. Evil devil dogs. That and Bichons. My aunt has 5 of the little demons and they are AWFUL.

Thankful Vegetarian

10,400 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
Lady Fugitivus
a wishing well

*shrug*

You should own one because you like their energy level, size, ease to train or because it fits into your family well.
The fact that the pit is getting into fights and biting people is wrong, it should probably be removed.

I think the many Techs and Vets here know what they're doing.

Eloquent Gawker

a wishing well
Lady Fugitivus
a wishing well

*shrug*

Obviously not if they're letting their dog get into fights and bite people.
a wishing well

*shrug*

Why did the pit get into a fight with another dog and why did he bite another student?

8,000 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
Savage Destiny
a wishing well
Lady Fugitivus
a wishing well

*shrug*

This.

Thankful Vegetarian

10,400 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
Savage Destiny
a wishing well
Lady Fugitivus
a wishing well

*shrug*

Student error. The two dogs originally were thought to get along (it was right when this group came to us, so it's trial and error), one girl had the other dog and left it outside with the pitbull and the guy who had him. They apparently didn't get along after all, and the guy who got bit was trying to separate them.

misheru105
stuff

Beloved Phantom

8,850 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Vanquished Angel 50
  • Generous 100
User Image
My friends pitt looks just like this. His name is Jake. blaugh

5,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.I'm Shy, and so quiet.

The reason pitbulls make good fighting dogs is because they are extremely loyal to their owners, and will do anything to make their owners happy. They are excitable and happy.

The only reason a pitbull with become a fighting dog is because the OWNER trains it to fight. The only problem with my boyfriends moms pitbull is that she gets REALLY excited when someone comes home after a long time, and she might jump on you. Other than that? She is sweet, loving, and loves attention. However, they still are loyal to their owners and may attack someone if they are being threatening, but other dogs will do that too.

My BFs mom also has an American Staffordshire. They have pitbull in them, and this one was actually mistaken for a pitbull from ALL of its previous owners. His ears are cut off, as though he was being trained to fight. American Staffordshires are not fighting dogs though, they have very mellow personalities and are just lazy.

but I still got some attitude.

Eloquent Gawker

TK Rain
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.I'm Shy, and so quiet.

The reason pitbulls make good fighting dogs is because they are extremely loyal to their owners, and will do anything to make their owners happy. They are excitable and happy.

The only reason a pitbull with become a fighting dog is because the OWNER trains it to fight. The only problem with my boyfriends moms pitbull is that she gets REALLY excited when someone comes home after a long time, and she might jump on you. Other than that? She is sweet, loving, and loves attention. However, they still are loyal to their owners and may attack someone if they are being threatening, but other dogs will do that too.

My BFs mom also has an American Staffordshire. They have pitbull in them, and this one was actually mistaken for a pitbull from ALL of its previous owners. His ears are cut off, as though he was being trained to fight. American Staffordshires are not fighting dogs though, they have very mellow personalities and are just lazy.

but I still got some attitude.

Are you joking?

American Staffordshire Terrier was the name they picked to represent the American Pit Bull Terrier in the AKC. The AKC would not accept the name "Amercian Pit Bull Terrier" because it reminded people of dog fights, so some people changed the name to AmStaff so they could join the AKC. AmStaffs can even be cross-registered as APBTs in the UKC, because the bloodlines are the same.

Oh, there are some superficial differences- for instance, the AKC AmStaff standard does not allow red noses- but that's about it. UKC APBTs and AKC AmStaffs have the same bloodlines.

Also, most show dogs have their ears cropped (not "cut off" wink because that is the preferred look in the show world. Unless the dog has an obvious home crop job, it's not likely they were "cut off" because he was being "trained to fight".

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
a wishing well
Savage Destiny
a wishing well
Lady Fugitivus
a wishing well

*shrug*

Student error. The two dogs originally were thought to get along (it was right when this group came to us, so it's trial and error), one girl had the other dog and left it outside with the pitbull and the guy who had him. They apparently didn't get along after all, and the guy who got bit was trying to separate them.

misheru105
stuff

you should have said that from the start. just saying he bit a student and got in a dog fight makes it sound like he is a dangerous dog. getting bit while seperating a fight is perfectly understandable

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff