Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Inquisitor

The_Polar_Bear_Queen
11 Cardinal 11
Pit Bulls are dog aggressive. If you rescued everyone you'd have a pretty fun time crate and rotating and breaking up dog fights. ;D

ok that is so not true. the only reason why pits are most of the time aggressive towards other dogs is because they would be trained to fight other dogs and would grow up to hate other dogs, besides normal dog actions. that is so steriotipical towards pits and i hate that......

Do you have lots of experience in the breed? :]
The_Polar_Bear_Queen
11 Cardinal 11
Pit Bulls are dog aggressive. If you rescued everyone you'd have a pretty fun time crate and rotating and breaking up dog fights. ;D

ok that is so not true. the only reason why pits are most of the time aggressive towards other dogs is because they would be trained to fight other dogs and would grow up to hate other dogs, besides normal dog actions. that is so steriotipical towards pits and i hate that......

Pit Bulls are dog aggressive/intolerant/reactive. Choose your point on the spectrum. They were bred to be dog aggressive. Genetics can have a strong baring on temperament, why else do ou think we have different breeds? Do Dobermans and chihauhau's act the same? How about Chow's and Labs? No? Why? Because they were bred over countless generations to fit the 'type' that people wanted: looks, temperament, and function. Guess what Pitties were bred for? Dog aggression and fighting. They were bred to be dog aggressive, biddable, and tenacious.

Ask Savage. Her dog Riddle was never trained to fight and was socialized heavily as a pup. As she matured became dog selective (if I remember right) and dog intolerant. Without Savage being careful and counter-conditioning (and being an all around awesome loving owner <3 /savagefanclub) I'm positive in the wrong hands Riddle would have started fights and possibly negatively ended fights. Its the breed. To deny the breeds temperament and origin you're setting yourself up for failler if you ever want to own one.

Pit Bulls are dogs and are what we have made them. Dog Aggressive. I'm not down-talking the breed, I love them and they are on my 'do-wants', but at the same time I'm educated about the breed and they are most certainly NOT for everone or 'perfect angels' (No dogs are.)

Hilarious Werewolf

6,150 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Team Jacob 100
11 Cardinal 11
The_Polar_Bear_Queen
11 Cardinal 11

Pit Bulls are dog aggressive/intolerant/reactive. Choose your point on the spectrum. They were bred to be dog aggressive. Genetics can have a strong baring on temperament, why else do ou think we have different breeds? Do Dobermans and chihauhau's act the same? How about Chow's and Labs? No? Why? Because they were bred over countless generations to fit the 'type' that people wanted: looks, temperament, and function. Guess what Pitties were bred for? Dog aggression and fighting. They were bred to be dog aggressive, biddable, and tenacious.

Ask Savage. Her dog Riddle was never trained to fight and was socialized heavily as a pup. As she matured became dog selective (if I remember right) and dog intolerant. Without Savage being careful and counter-conditioning (and being an all around awesome loving owner <3 /savagefanclub) I'm positive in the wrong hands Riddle would have started fights and possibly negatively ended fights. Its the breed. To deny the breeds temperament and origin you're setting yourself up for failler if you ever want to own one.

Pit Bulls are dogs and are what we have made them. Dog Aggressive. I'm not down-talking the breed, I love them and they are on my 'do-wants', but at the same time I'm educated about the breed and they are most certainly NOT for everone or 'perfect angels' (No dogs are.)

Yes i guess u are right my apoligies. They were breed to be fighting dogs, which i find cruel and wrong. because of this, everyone got he wrong impression of the breed, which makes me so upset becuse they are very kind, loving dogs at heart. its so upsetting.

Eloquent Gawker

The_Polar_Bear_Queen
11 Cardinal 11
The_Polar_Bear_Queen
11 Cardinal 11

Yes i guess u are right my apoligies. They were breed to be fighting dogs, which i find cruel and wrong. because of this, everyone got he wrong impression of the breed, which makes me so upset becuse they are very kind, loving dogs at heart. its so upsetting.

Dog fighting is terrible, but we have to accept it as part of the breed. Without dog fighting, my breed wouldn't exist, so I guess I owe the dogmen something. But Pit Bull owners and lovers have to be aware that, just like their history makes Jack Russels unsafe around small animals like rats, the Pit Bull's history makes them prone to dog aggression issues. Just something we have to be aware of and watch out for.

Cardinal is exactly right about Riddle. She was extremely dog friendly as a young dog, but as she has matured she is less so. She is fine around dogs she knows, but has to be carefully managed around strange dogs, and in fact I try to keep her from coming into contact with them period. If I want to introduce her to a new dog, it's a long involved process. Being friendly as a young dog and maturing into dog intolerance or aggression is pretty common with the breed. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in for a world of hurt eventually.

Tipsy Phantom

Just like any other breed, Pitbulls can be aggressive or just calm and gentle. It really depends on a lot of things such as breeding and how they were raised. Pits are really just people pleasers, they will do whatever for their owner. Also, their anatomical structure makes them quite powerful fighters (especially for their size). Which is why they've gotten such a bad rap. If a dog bites you, it better not be a Pit. However because Pitbulls are people pleasers they can turn out to be the best pets and the best friends. I have owned a Pitbull and was the best friend I've ever had.

Eloquent Gawker

Flora et Fauna
Also, their anatomical structure makes them quite powerful fighters (especially for their size). Which is why they've gotten such a bad rap. If a dog bites you, it better not be a Pit.

Buuulllllshiiiiiiiit.

A Pit Bull is no more dangerous, has no stronger bite power than any other dog their size. The nonsense you're spewing is an urban myth.

Tipsy Phantom

Savage Destiny
Flora et Fauna
Also, their anatomical structure makes them quite powerful fighters (especially for their size). Which is why they've gotten such a bad rap. If a dog bites you, it better not be a Pit.

Buuulllllshiiiiiiiit.

A Pit Bull is no more dangerous, has no stronger bite power than any other dog their size. The nonsense you're spewing is an urban myth.

Then please enlighten me.
I have no means to offend anyone. This is just what I've learned.
I am a Pitbull lover, I am sorry if I was ill-informed.

Chatty Cat

12,000 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
My friend had a pitty~lab mix. Sweetest goofball evers on teh face of the planet. He never barked, gave his beds to the cats, would rest his head on your lap if sitting on the couch, very quietly creep off the couch if you caught him on it, and hide under the bed if the kitties were fighting.

Sadly, he was lost to us from a heart condition. He didnt come from the best of homes and lived out his last year on this earth in a loving happy home.

All pits I have met have been love bugs. Its the snauzzers you have to watch out for. lol

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Savage Destiny
Flora et Fauna

Buuulllllshiiiiiiiit.

i thought they would have a stronger bite than another dog their size because of all the muscles in their heads, or are those there to just help them hang on no matter what?

Eloquent Gawker

Shanna66
Savage Destiny
Flora et Fauna

Buuulllllshiiiiiiiit.

i thought they would have a stronger bite than another dog their size because of all the muscles in their heads, or are those there to just help them hang on no matter what?

They really don't have much more muscle around their jaw than any other wide-muzzled/wide-headed breed. Sure, a dog with a much narrower muzzle like a Siberian Husky will have less bite power, but not something like a Golden Retriever or Lab.

Aged Hunter

Shanna66
Savage Destiny
Flora et Fauna

Buuulllllshiiiiiiiit.

If I remember correctly, and it's History Channel, but they were doing something about dog bites and put a pressure plate inside a bite sleeve. Then had 3 trained dogs bite the guy in the sleeve.
German Shepherd had the weakest bite of the three, then Pit Bulls and then Rottweilers.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Savage Destiny
Shanna66
Savage Destiny
Flora et Fauna

Buuulllllshiiiiiiiit.

They really don't have much more muscle around their jaw than any other wide-muzzled/wide-headed breed. Sure, a dog with a much narrower muzzle like a Siberian Husky will have less bite power, but not something like a Golden Retriever or Lab.

ok thank you

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Shearaha
Shanna66
Savage Destiny
Flora et Fauna

Buuulllllshiiiiiiiit.

If I remember correctly, and it's History Channel, but they were doing something about dog bites and put a pressure plate inside a bite sleeve. Then had 3 trained dogs bite the guy in the sleeve.
German Shepherd had the weakest bite of the three, then Pit Bulls and then Rottweilers.

i thought GSDs had the strongest bite pressure?

Aged Hunter

Shanna66
Shearaha
Shanna66
Savage Destiny
Flora et Fauna

Buuulllllshiiiiiiiit.

i thought GSDs had the strongest bite pressure?

I found This page which has excerpts from a couple different "studies" that have been done, The last one on the page came from National Geographic channel, and these are the results they came up with. Since we're just talking domestic dogs, I crossed out the wild canids.

malinois - force bite 195 pounds
Dutch Shepherd - force bite 224 pounds
American Pitbull - force bite 235 pounds
German Shepherd - force bite 238 pounds
American Bull dog - force bite 305 pounds
African Wild dog - force bite 317 pounds
Rottweiler - force bite 328 pounds
Wolf - force bite 406 pounds
Mastiffs - force bite 556 pounds
Kangal (Turkish dog) force bite 743 pounds
Hyena - force bite 1000 pounds

Quick Reply