Welcome to Gaia! ::

Should I get a pitbull

Get one 0.77142857142857 77.1% [ 27 ]
Dont get one 0.17142857142857 17.1% [ 6 ]
They are vicious dogs dont 0.057142857142857 5.7% [ 2 ]
Total Votes:[ 35 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 >

Darkness Always Has Light
I'm thinking of getting a pitbull puppy opinion and helpful input please. Are they a good dog? Bad experiences and good please!

I am 23 and a dog rescuer. I run a pit bull rescue, and I will not say that every dog is bad, nor is every dog perfect. I do believe in some cases, as with children, there has to be consistency. With my guys if I am not consistent, then they do not know what to do. My baby is a Pit Bull Neopolitan mastiff mix. I nursed him through the Demadec mange he had when he came to me from an Atlanta shelter.

I have 20 dogs in my possession right now, all but two are looking for forever homes. I have had puppies, teenager, adult and even senior dogs, and no two are exactly the same. I have a few who are iffy with other dogs, some that do not care about the other dog, some that are excited and get bitten because they have no manners, and then we have "Do Not Walk Off Leash"

If you have any personal questions, I can help and will help anyway I can. I was raised with these dogs. I will also ask if you have questions I do not know.

I would not say Do not get them, but be prepared because they can be a handful, and they have to have a routine structure. Feel free to PM me
DustQueen
User Image

►►It looks like most of it has already been said.

Any breed that has a bad reputation (chows, pits, and even dogs like huskies that look like a wolf) is always a big responsibility.

1) BE ABSOLUTELY SURE you are ready to remain that animal's human for its lifespan. These dogs do not do well in adoption circumstances and will most of the time be put down.

2) Consider the possibility of having to move. Do you own your home, or do you rent? If you own your home, would you ever move? Are you willing to make the dog's environment a priority? These dogs are not well received by most Home Owner's Associations and Apt Complexes. Communities that accept high profile dogs are usually more expensive. Are you willing to devote the finances necessary to make sure the dog can move with you, without the risk of the HOA/community having the animal removed from premises.

3) These dogs are highly athletic, and dominant. There's a reason they used to be called the "Nanny Dog". Please make sure you have the time to give your Pit the needed exercise to help outlet possible aggression from boredom and depression. Make sure you have experience with big, dominant dogs. You WILL need to maintain your position as Alpha in the pack without violence. If you have never had experience with big dogs, or dominant animals, sign up for classes and go regularly through the puppy years and into the adult years. If you ever lose your position as Alpha in the "pack" you're in trouble, and will have difficulty maintaining control over the dog. Make sure you have TIME(lots of it), and consult professional handlers that can teach you how to properly assert yourself as the "alpha".

4) Understand, that no matter what, this dog is PROTECTIVE (even to aggression), DOMINANT, AND STRONG. If there is EVER an incident where your dog exhibits aggressive or threatening behavior towards anyone, and they report the animal... there is a HIGH possibility of your dog being removed from your care and Euthanized. This is a sad fact, wrong though it is, our country profiles these dogs as dangerous. Please take the necessary precautions to avoid the dog becoming defensive of his owners or "protecting" the home from intruders. Unfortunately... even if the house is being broken into... if your dog brutally injures the criminal, you will most likely be sued and the dog put down. (I know this is wrong, and stupid, and sick... but I've seen it happen)
◄◄

Your first statement is entirely incorrect. Some breeds have problems being adopted out but the 200 plus pit bulls that have been in my care personally, plus the countless other's I have helped get adopted out have had an great chance of being adopted. It is about picking the right dog for you.

Pit Bulls are loyal, they protect their family, and the chances of a problem with a land lord or police is a possibility, but you almost make it seem like this whole thing is a negative ordeal. I have a dog laying on my feet right now, come out of a shelter from a fight bust...He was rehabilitated. No longer food, toy, bed, or even dog aggressive. He is also a canine reading companion at my local elementary school. Over half of what you stated is honestly just complete and total bologna. Pick up a book or two, read up on your breeds before you make a stance please.

Devoted Inquisitor

Once Upon an Artist

Pit Bulls are loyal, they protect their family, and the chances of a problem with a land lord or police is a possibility, but you almost make it seem like this whole thing is a negative ordeal. I have a dog laying on my feet right now, come out of a shelter from a fight bust...He was rehabilitated. No longer food, toy, bed, or even dog aggressive. He is also a canine reading companion at my local elementary school. Over half of what you stated is honestly just complete and total bologna. Pick up a book or two, read up on your breeds before you make a stance please.

But... BSL is a real thing that actually happens?

Magnetic Sex Symbol

Latrans

This is why I'm glad I don't plan on having kids; if I'm this uptight about people touching my dog, how would I react to people touching my preggo belly?

Walk around with a "GSD puppy" (Malinois) and an 8 month old in public, and suddenly everyone wants to be your best friend.

Devoted Inquisitor

AraTeran
Latrans

This is why I'm glad I don't plan on having kids; if I'm this uptight about people touching my dog, how would I react to people touching my preggo belly?

Walk around with a "GSD puppy" (Malinois) and an 8 month old in public, and suddenly everyone wants to be your best friend.

Newp.
Latrans
Once Upon an Artist

it is, unfortunately, but it is not EVERYWHERE as the person i quoted has said. It is prevalent, but not unavoidable. Honestly, all of my friends were terrified of Pit Bulls when they started coming around me

Amateur Sleuth

9,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
Once Upon an Artist
DustQueen
User Image

Any breed that has a bad reputation (chows, pits, and even dogs like huskies that look like a wolf) is always a big responsibility.

1) BE ABSOLUTELY SURE you are ready to remain that animal's human for its lifespan. These dogs do not do well in adoption circumstances and will most of the time be put down.

2) Consider the possibility of having to move. Do you own your home, or do you rent? If you own your home, would you ever move? Are you willing to make the dog's environment a priority? These dogs are not well received by most Home Owner's Associations and Apt Complexes. Communities that accept high profile dogs are usually more expensive. Are you willing to devote the finances necessary to make sure the dog can move with you, without the risk of the HOA/community having the animal removed from premises.

3) These dogs are highly athletic, and dominant. There's a reason they used to be called the "Nanny Dog". Please make sure you have the time to give your Pit the needed exercise to help outlet possible aggression from boredom and depression. Make sure you have experience with big, dominant dogs. You WILL need to maintain your position as Alpha in the pack without violence. If you have never had experience with big dogs, or dominant animals, sign up for classes and go regularly through the puppy years and into the adult years. If you ever lose your position as Alpha in the "pack" you're in trouble, and will have difficulty maintaining control over the dog. Make sure you have TIME(lots of it), and consult professional handlers that can teach you how to properly assert yourself as the "alpha".

4) Understand, that no matter what, this dog is PROTECTIVE (even to aggression), DOMINANT, AND STRONG. If there is EVER an incident where your dog exhibits aggressive or threatening behavior towards anyone, and they report the animal... there is a HIGH possibility of your dog being removed from your care and Euthanized. This is a sad fact, wrong though it is, our country profiles these dogs as dangerous. Please take the necessary precautions to avoid the dog becoming defensive of his owners or "protecting" the home from intruders. Unfortunately... even if the house is being broken into... if your dog brutally injures the criminal, you will most likely be sued and the dog put down. (I know this is wrong, and stupid, and sick... but I've seen it happen)
◄◄

Your first statement is entirely incorrect. Some breeds have problems being adopted out but the 200 plus pit bulls that have been in my care personally, plus the countless other's I have helped get adopted out have had an great chance of being adopted. It is about picking the right dog for you.

I'm sorry for not clarifying better. In many cities... such as mine... the shelters that pick up Pitt Bulls do not even attempt to adopt them. They will immediately euthanize. Its awful. Other times... Pitts do not get adopted because of people who visit the shelters falsely believing they can't be good pets.

The rest of my post was not a stance against the breed. More, against the wrong owner. I'm very much for equal rights for these beautiful and loving animals. However, a large breed dog is not for everyone. Furthermore not everyone is prepared to deal with the kind of racism that exists in cities, apartments, neighborhoods and HOA's. Not all people are prepared to change where they are going to live based on their dog, and unfortunately many give up dogs to the shelters because its just "too much difficulty". I've seen young college students that adopt a Pit and live in a complex that doesn't permit them. Next thing they know the dog is removed from their care... and its too much trouble to move out, terminate a lease for 'just a pet'".

The fact is that a golden retriever that gets away from their owner while on a walk will not be treated the same as a pit that gets away from their owner... MORE training isn't necessarily necessary than other breeds. But many don't train their dogs as well as they should... and that is not an option when people already are prepared to jump to the wrong conclusions with this particular breed.

I apologize for any misunderstanding. Its difficult to convey my meaning over forums. Let it stand that I love Pits... but I have seen too many never have a "forever home" because of people that don't accept the responsibility and commitment in their lives.
DustQueen
Once Upon an Artist
DustQueen
User Image

◄◄

I'm sorry for not clarifying better. In many cities... such as mine... the shelters that pick up Pitt Bulls do not even attempt to adopt them. They will immediately euthanize. Its awful. Other times... Pitts do not get adopted because of people who visit the shelters falsely believing they can't be good pets.

The rest of my post was not a stance against the breed. More, against the wrong owner. I'm very much for equal rights for these beautiful and loving animals. However, a large breed dog is not for everyone. Furthermore not everyone is prepared to deal with the kind of racism that exists in cities, apartments, neighborhoods and HOA's. Not all people are prepared to change where they are going to live based on their dog, and unfortunately many give up dogs to the shelters because its just "too much difficulty". I've seen young college students that adopt a Pit and live in a complex that doesn't permit them. Next thing they know the dog is removed from their care... and its too much trouble to move out, terminate a lease for 'just a pet'".

The fact is that a golden retriever that gets away from their owner while on a walk will not be treated the same as a pit that gets away from their owner... MORE training isn't necessarily necessary than other breeds. But many don't train their dogs as well as they should... and that is not an option when people already are prepared to jump to the wrong conclusions with this particular breed.

I apologize for any misunderstanding. Its difficult to convey my meaning over forums. Let it stand that I love Pits... but I have seen too many never have a "forever home" because of people that don't accept the responsibility and commitment in their lives.

I apologize for my being short. I had just spent the day at my local city council trying to persuade them not to bass BSL on Pit Bulls, and I was on one. You are correct that not all Shelters will adopt out Pits. Hell some of the animal organizations we see on TV advertise Pit Bulls but they will not work with them

Devoted Inquisitor

Once Upon an Artist
Latrans
Once Upon an Artist

it is, unfortunately, but it is not EVERYWHERE as the person i quoted has said. It is prevalent, but not unavoidable. Honestly, all of my friends were terrified of Pit Bulls when they started coming around me

I didn't think they did say that.

Amateur Sleuth

9,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
Strawberry Farmer
DustQueen
Once Upon an Artist
DustQueen
User Image

◄◄

I apologize for my being short. I had just spent the day at my local city council trying to persuade them not to bass BSL on Pit Bulls, and I was on one. You are correct that not all Shelters will adopt out Pits. Hell some of the animal organizations we see on TV advertise Pit Bulls but they will not work with them

Thanks, I appreciate that. And no worries. I would have been extremely annoyed and easily jumped to the same conclusion too after rereading my initial post. All of my animals have been adopted out of shelters (Dogs of various mixes and breeds, Cats, Rabbits) and many more that I've brought to a shelter to keep them from ending up on the street.

I found a pit mix wandering around the street and had to pay $300 where I live to have him taken to a shelter 50 miles away that didn't have a "No Pit" stance and had a "no kill" policy for ALL breeds. He was the sweetest dog and wanted nothing more than to cuddle and stay with us. But of course, our apt definitely didn't allow them and as a young college student inexpensive housing is always an issue. I knew I couldn't be his "Forever Mom" so I made sure he was taken to a place that would find him a good home no matter the cost to me. But someone in our neighborhood had him (in a complex that he wasn't permitted) and if anyone else had picked him up... who knows where he would have ended up. Especially if it wasn't a "pit friendly shelter" and animal control who picked him up.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Um, I've been bitten by a pit before, so here's what I say.

Unless you are willing to devote LOT of time into training and caring for this dog that can potentially harm someone/something, DON'T.

If you've got that kind of time and patience, then go for it.

But don't half a** it. Don't say "he's not cute anymore" or "I'm bored with him," or "this is too hard."

They can be great if you have the time and effort and patience put into it. But if you don't, then just don't. They, like any large animal, can be dangerous if not trained and under control. Remember that.
Shark Bacon

Unless you are willing to devote LOT of time into training and caring for this dog that can potentially harm someone/something, DON'T.

But don't half a** it. Don't say "he's not cute anymore" or "I'm bored with him," or "this is too hard."

They can be great if you have the time and effort and patience put into it. But if you don't, then just don't. They, like any large animal, can be dangerous if not trained and under control. Remember that.

This goes for any dog, regardless of breed

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Shark Bacon

Totally. But I feel more strongly about it when it comes to big dogs that can hurt people.
DustQueen
Strawberry Farmer
DustQueen
Once Upon an Artist
DustQueen
User Image

◄◄

Thanks, I appreciate that. And no worries. I would have been extremely annoyed and easily jumped to the same conclusion too after rereading my initial post. All of my animals have been adopted out of shelters (Dogs of various mixes and breeds, Cats, Rabbits) and many more that I've brought to a shelter to keep them from ending up on the street.

I found a pit mix wandering around the street and had to pay $300 where I live to have him taken to a shelter 50 miles away that didn't have a "No Pit" stance and had a "no kill" policy for ALL breeds. He was the sweetest dog and wanted nothing more than to cuddle and stay with us. But of course, our apt definitely didn't allow them and as a young college student inexpensive housing is always an issue. I knew I couldn't be his "Forever Mom" so I made sure he was taken to a place that would find him a good home no matter the cost to me. But someone in our neighborhood had him (in a complex that he wasn't permitted) and if anyone else had picked him up... who knows where he would have ended up. Especially if it wasn't a "pit friendly shelter" and animal control who picked him up.

I respect that. I have rescued dogs that were not Pit Bulls, and some, whom i thought were Pits (due to Demadec mange) then when their hair comes in, they are an American Bulldog, Boxer of a mix of some similar breed
Shark Bacon
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Shark Bacon

Totally. But I feel more strongly about it when it comes to big dogs that can hurt people.

Do some research. The real Pit bull is not a BIG dog. It averages from 35-50 pounds for a female and about 45-70 for a male, and they are mostly muscular, most of my guys are little.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff