Welcome to Gaia! ::

Powerful Spirit

Zeiphyx

Just be careful buying tanks online... Make sure they are quality and not damaged. Also make sure that the glass used is thick enough to withstand the water pressure when it's full. Having a tank break is NOT fun. I lost an entire community tank of fish when that happened to me while I was away for a weekend. One of the most horrible things that happened to me ever :C I love my fishies.

I always test them out first for a day with water at full capacity. c: And inspect them first of course. I could also reseal it if I had to. -UBER PREPARED-

Bloblike Hunter

Sangfleur
Zeiphyx

Just be careful buying tanks online... Make sure they are quality and not damaged. Also make sure that the glass used is thick enough to withstand the water pressure when it's full. Having a tank break is NOT fun. I lost an entire community tank of fish when that happened to me while I was away for a weekend. One of the most horrible things that happened to me ever :C I love my fishies.

I always test them out first for a day with water at full capacity. c: And inspect them first of course. I could also reseal it if I had to. -UBER PREPARED-

Oh awesome, I'm glad you do that smile The problem I had with the tanks that cracked was that the surface that I placed them on was not quite 100% level which caused more pressure on one side of the tank than the glass (that was too thin anyway) could handle, and the base cracked. I then stopped buying tanks from my useless LFS and found a guy who makes custom made tanks, who also happens to be paranoid about their quality. He uses at least 10mm glass for even very small tanks.

Powerful Spirit

Zeiphyx

Oh awesome, I'm glad you do that smile The problem I had with the tanks that cracked was that the surface that I placed them on was not quite 100% level which caused more pressure on one side of the tank than the glass (that was too thin anyway) could handle, and the base cracked. I then stopped buying tanks from my useless LFS and found a guy who makes custom made tanks, who also happens to be paranoid about their quality. He uses at least 10mm glass for even very small tanks.

Ohhh, that's awesome! Are they expensive since they're custom? Yeah I believe I made sure it was level too. I was paranoid because it was an old tank of my grandpa's.

Bloblike Hunter

Sangfleur
Zeiphyx

Ohhh, that's awesome! Are they expensive since they're custom? Yeah I believe I made sure it was level too. I was paranoid because it was an old tank of my grandpa's.

This guy works from home and just builds tanks as a hobby, plus used glass off-cuts to build mine (nothing wrong with them though, he just had them lying around) so it would be cheaper, since he knew I was on a budget. He pretty much built my 150L for me at cost price. It cost me R450, which, in dollars, is less than $60. Considering what you would pay for a tank of that size at a store, I'd say the price was pretty awesome. He even delivered it to my house free of charge and helped me carry it up to my 3rd floor apartment, helped me find a nice spot for it, and chatted about fish for a while xd I'm thinking of ordering a "betta barracks" setup from him now, since I want to try my hand at breeding bettas.

Powerful Spirit

Zeiphyx

This guy works from home and just builds tanks as a hobby, plus used glass off-cuts to build mine (nothing wrong with them though, he just had them lying around) so it would be cheaper, since he knew I was on a budget. He pretty much built my 150L for me at cost price. It cost me R450, which, in dollars, is less than $60. Considering what you would pay for a tank of that size at a store, I'd say the price was pretty awesome. He even delivered it to my house free of charge and helped me carry it up to my 3rd floor apartment, helped me find a nice spot for it, and chatted about fish for a while xd I'm thinking of ordering a "betta barracks" setup from him now, since I want to try my hand at breeding bettas.

Wow, that's awesome. c: And much cheaper. Free delivery even?! Betta breeding seems very interesting, especially with all the color genetics involved. heart

Bloblike Hunter

Sangfleur
Zeiphyx

Wow, that's awesome. c: And much cheaper. Free delivery even?! Betta breeding seems very interesting, especially with all the color genetics involved. heart

Yeah, awesome indeed. Sadly, in South Africa, if you want good bettas, you have to import them yourself which is not cheap. In pet shops you can always find veil tails, and usually crown tails, but you will rarely find anything else. I have only ever seen delta tails (being sold as half-moons >.> ) and double-tails besides the usual VTs and CTs. Most have pretty mixed colours as well - I did once find a dragon scale though. You also won't get any of the Halfmoons, Plakats, Super Deltas, Rosetails etc unless you import them yourself or buy from a private breeder who does, and those are few and far between. My plan is to try breeding with the store bought ones, and if I can get that right, then maybe I will get a fancier breeder pair. whee

Powerful Spirit

Zeiphyx

Yeah, awesome indeed. Sadly, in South Africa, if you want good bettas, you have to import them yourself which is not cheap. In pet shops you can always find veil tails, and usually crown tails, but you will rarely find anything else. I have only ever seen delta tails (being sold as half-moons >.> ) and double-tails besides the usual VTs and CTs. Most have pretty mixed colours as well - I did once find a dragon scale though. You also won't get any of the Halfmoons, Plakats, Super Deltas, Rosetails etc unless you import them yourself or buy from a private breeder who does, and those are few and far between. My plan is to try breeding with the store bought ones, and if I can get that right, then maybe I will get a fancier breeder pair. whee

That's a shame. :c We have a lot of very pretty VT, CT, DTs and the such here. I have a dragonscale betta and one halfmoon one. They're very lovely~ My dragonscale is the most lively betta I've ever seen. He'll eat off my fingers. I want one of the larger "king" bettas. They're lovely. Breeder pairs can be expensive but worth it! They tend to be more delicate though as compared to the hardy store fish.
Sangfleur
So... I've been watching my leucistic axolotl, Satine, all day thinking she was sick. NOPE. To my surprise I find dozens of eggs when I look closer. Guess I should have expected them when she started getting fatter but I just attributed it to their feedings. emotion_facepalm I should have noticed she was getting fat too fast to be from feedings.

User Image
The axolotls in question

I dunno what I'm going to do with the eggs yet. I'm sort of panicking because I would love to raise them but... no space. I guess I could sell or give them away but I'm worried they wouldn't go to good homes... and culling them would just make me depressed. I love axolotls too much to cull them.

/rant
gonk
omg, i shall take them? :]

Powerful Spirit

The Bad Trip

If I could ship them I would! gonk
Sangfleur
The Bad Trip

If I could ship them I would! gonk
is it possible? i could pay fo' it. that's a retarded mix to throw in the trash. wink

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff