Welcome to Gaia! ::

Powerful Spirit

So... I've been watching my leucistic axolotl, Satine, all day thinking she was sick. NOPE. To my surprise I find dozens of eggs when I look closer. Guess I should have expected them when she started getting fatter but I just attributed it to their feedings. emotion_facepalm I should have noticed she was getting fat too fast to be from feedings.

User Image
The axolotls in question

I dunno what I'm going to do with the eggs yet. I'm sort of panicking because I would love to raise them but... no space. I guess I could sell or give them away but I'm worried they wouldn't go to good homes... and culling them would just make me depressed. I love axolotls too much to cull them.

/rant
gonk

Greedy Receiver

Perhaps contact nearby pet shops and see if they don't want a clutch of babies when thwy hatch? I am sure these lovely exotics would prove to bring in good money. They're friggen adorable.

If not, maybe ebayclassifieds.com? Kijiji.com for Canada. That's a fantastic site for everything. Even pets.

How long does it take for them to hatch?
How soon can they be on their own?
Will the male eat them?
Did you know one was a male? Is it hard to tell?

If you can't find anything, well, it would be sad but it would be better in the long-run for the cull.

Powerful Spirit

I think the pet shop I bought them from would buy the eggs but I dunno. They don't have the best living conditions for them. Which is why I rescued the brown one.

I read 16-20 days for hatching if they have the right conditions.
You have to separate them after they start growing their legs as they start to become cannibalistic towards each other then.
Probably? I'm not sure. Haven't read up on that yet. So far he doesn't seem very interested.
Their genitalia is different. I knew they were male/female (brown is male, white is female) I just thought they were too young to breed still.

Very true. Just sad to me. I love this species so much. I would have been more prepared if I had known the female was of breeding age.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Some people use axolotls as fishing bait. I'm sure you can raise the little guys and get rid of them in some way. Besides, it'd be fun!

For their tank, you could use storage totes?

Distinct Explorer

10,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
I've read that from several sites when I was looking at getting the axos. They'll nimble on each other D: nomnomnom.

Kind of exciting though.

Bloblike Hunter

Oh my word, I'm so jealous ;_; Where I live, Axolotls are black-listed! I'm still trying to find them... discreetly, of course, but it's not so easy and I don't know of anyone who has them sad

I think you should contact your local aquarium/good pet store/reptile park/zoo and see if they would want some eggs or alternatively if they can find homes for your babies. I agree that culling them would be awfully sad sad

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

aww well if you don't want to cull them I would definitely hatch them and see if I could find homes. try offering on Craigslist, ebay, facebook, and stuff, and if you can't get enough prospective owners, then just resort to offering to the pet shops.

I mean, it's true, try as you might, you may not find the perfect homes for all of them. but it's a choice between trying to or just culling them now so there's nothing to risk.

I personally would try to find owners, even if it's through the pet store. You may just spark interest in someone whose never seen one before and you'll have helped someone find their new found love of axolotl (:

Powerful Spirit

Moth Feathers
Some people use axolotls as fishing bait. I'm sure you can raise the little guys and get rid of them in some way. Besides, it'd be fun!

For their tank, you could use storage totes?

So fun. XD I'm trying to figure out how to make some room as we speak. Or type. Whichever.

Powerful Spirit

[ s e m p e r ]
I've read that from several sites when I was looking at getting the axos. They'll nimble on each other D: nomnomnom.

Kind of exciting though.

Very exciting User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Powerful Spirit

Zeiphyx
Oh my word, I'm so jealous ;_; Where I live, Axolotls are black-listed! I'm still trying to find them... discreetly, of course, but it's not so easy and I don't know of anyone who has them sad

I think you should contact your local aquarium/good pet store/reptile park/zoo and see if they would want some eggs or alternatively if they can find homes for your babies. I agree that culling them would be awfully sad sad

Awwww. D: It's odd that they're blacklisted in some states. If I could I'd send you some.
I really don't want to cull them DX

Powerful Spirit

Eri fox
aww well if you don't want to cull them I would definitely hatch them and see if I could find homes. try offering on Craigslist, ebay, facebook, and stuff, and if you can't get enough prospective owners, then just resort to offering to the pet shops.

I mean, it's true, try as you might, you may not find the perfect homes for all of them. but it's a choice between trying to or just culling them now so there's nothing to risk.

I personally would try to find owners, even if it's through the pet store. You may just spark interest in someone whose never seen one before and you'll have helped someone find their new found love of axolotl (:

True true. I know an amphibian forum where people would gladly take the eggs so I might try there. I'm just not sure about shipping them...

It would be lovely if I could do that. <3

Bloblike Hunter

Sangfleur
Zeiphyx

Awwww. D: It's odd that they're blacklisted in some states. If I could I'd send you some.
I really don't want to cull them DX

I live in South Africa razz They're blacklisted because authorities think they may be able to survive in our water systems if they got out, which is stupid. Their external gills would make them targets of aggressive bullying by most local fish species, and in the summer, temperatures get a little too warm for them anyway. Plus most commercially available axolotls tend to be albino anyway, which means that in the wild they'd stick out and so would get eaten before they could breed. Oh well, I still plan to find some, somehow razz I already keep Xenopus laevis (African clawed frogs) (wild caught ones, they are native here), which are blacklisted. Like what the hell, they are native yet they are blacklisted and labelled "invasive" because they are prolific breeders and eat anything that fits in their mouths.

Powerful Spirit

Zeiphyx

I live in South Africa razz They're blacklisted because authorities think they may be able to survive in our water systems if they got out, which is stupid. Their external gills would make them targets of aggressive bullying by most local fish species, and in the summer, temperatures get a little too warm for them anyway. Plus most commercially available axolotls tend to be albino anyway, which means that in the wild they'd stick out and so would get eaten before they could breed. Oh well, I still plan to find some, somehow razz I already keep Xenopus laevis (African clawed frogs) (wild caught ones, they are native here), which are blacklisted. Like what the hell, they are native yet they are blacklisted and labelled "invasive" because they are prolific breeders and eat anything that fits in their mouths.

They'd most likely die in the summer outside if the water temp rose. It's so silly that they would think that. I honestly think they would not survive at all in that environment. Easily really. And that makes absolutely no sense. XD At all. It's like how EVERY kind of salamander is almost illegal here. It's silly.

Bloblike Hunter

Sangfleur
Zeiphyx

They'd most likely die in the summer outside if the water temp rose. It's so silly that they would think that. I honestly think they would not survive at all in that environment. Easily really. And that makes absolutely no sense. XD At all. It's like how EVERY kind of salamander is almost illegal here. It's silly.

Pretty much any kind of amphibian is illegal here unless you have a permit for it, and permits are NOT easy to get. cry

Powerful Spirit

Zeiphyx

Pretty much any kind of amphibian is illegal here unless you have a permit for it, and permits are NOT easy to get. cry

That's the way it is in California over here. Permits are insanely hard to get and expensive. gonk I wish I had space to raise these REALLY bad. It'd be a great experience.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff