Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shy Sex Symbol

I have a pretty little dog, Daisy, who loves people and is so sweet. She has anxiety problems which are now improving with medication and advice from the vet (clomicalm and crate training). I can now leave her home alone without coming home to a stressed out dog who was barking the entire time.

But. She was fear aggressive when we brought her home. Humane society said she was great with other dogs. She was fine when we brought my parent's dogs before adopting her. I am around dogs a lot. It is pretty unacceptable to have an aggressive dog, to me anyway. She is dog aggressive. It had been in response to fear I thought, a dog gets too close to her trying to play seemed to be the trigger. Now I have no idea. She is fine fine fine, then randomly lashes out at a dog. Last night was the worst though, she never has done this before. We had our friend's dog over (who i dog sit very often) and she flat out attacked him. Lunged, snapping, growling, snarling, grabbing/holding on to him. He wasn't near her. She went out of her way to attack him. This is completely unacceptable.

Vet said there is no hope to train her out of this and we will have to never have her around other animals (she has killed cats in her past, before we adopted her). I am so torn, I planned to adopt a dog to its "forever home". Returning dogs seems so cruel and I mean, she is a sweetheart to people and obedience is relatively easy with her. If it wasn't for aggression she would be wonderful. I'm heartbroken over having to entertain the option of returning her (I'm her third owner).

Any advice?
Daisy pictures
crying User Image

Devoted Inquisitor

If aggression in animals is unacceptable, return her. You could look into an animal behaviorist if you want to try working on this.

Aggressive animals are a lot of work. If you don't think it's acceptable to have them, as someone who does have them, and loves them, it's kinder for her not to live in your home.

Shy Sex Symbol

Latrans
If aggression in animals is unacceptable, return her. You could look into an animal behaviorist if you want to try working on this.

Aggressive animals are a lot of work. If you don't think it's acceptable to have them, as someone who does have them, and loves them, it's kinder for her not to live in your home.

I just spend so much of my life/time with and around other dogs. My parents have 4 dogs, my bestie has 1 and a cat. I dog sit that dog. I think she is a sweetheart and I really like her and have been working hard on this anxiety with her.

What kind of behaviorist do I look for? We have a few trainers in my area as well as the training at petco/smart. And an animal psychologist who's reviews say she is a quack. Where do I find someone? If I can work with someone experienced in this to help Daisy I would love to spare her the stress of being rehomed again.

I don't wanna give up without trying at least.

Devoted Inquisitor

Jailbait Queen
Latrans

I just spend so much of my life/time with and around other dogs. My parents have 4 dogs, my bestie has 1 and a cat. I dog sit that dog. I think she is a sweetheart and I really like her and have been working hard on this anxiety with her.

What kind of behaviorist do I look for? We have a few trainers in my area as well as the training at petco/smart. And an animal psychologist who's reviews say she is a quack. Where do I find someone? If I can work with someone experienced in this to help Daisy I would love to spare her the stress of being rehomed again.

I don't wanna give up without trying at least.

You should talk to the user Shearaha; she has a lot of resources on this.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff