Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Inquisitor

Shanna66
Latrans
I wouldn't stress about the barking at strangers thing, but I would take her out to socialize her every day. The clicker is a huge help with socialization, because it helps capture the calm behavior and extend it. It provides a way to interrupt the (fun for the dog) cycle of barking and excitement, and keeps it from escalating.

Elsie was okay with strangers until about four months when she decided they're the devil (but she's fine with walking by them, it's being touched she doesn't allow). Zoey, though, hated strangers from the day my dad brought her home (ten week old puppy growling at people--adorable, and in the wrong hands, terrible). He takes her to one of the the four college campuses nearby every day, as well as on every single outing he goes on--hardware store, petstores (he carries her), the bank, everywhere. She's now greeting people appropriately, and she's stopped lunging at bikes and skateboards.

But yeah, barking at strangers is not a big deal. Just be aware that it could escalate, and work to solve it. :]

that makes me feel like there is hope for stowrm.

also super cute puppy! im starting to want one lol i feel so prepared for a high energy dog now that ive had stowrm for a few months

There is hope for Stowrm, of course, but I was more speaking to the importance of early socialization. :]

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans
I wouldn't stress about the barking at strangers thing, but I would take her out to socialize her every day. The clicker is a huge help with socialization, because it helps capture the calm behavior and extend it. It provides a way to interrupt the (fun for the dog) cycle of barking and excitement, and keeps it from escalating.

Elsie was okay with strangers until about four months when she decided they're the devil (but she's fine with walking by them, it's being touched she doesn't allow). Zoey, though, hated strangers from the day my dad brought her home (ten week old puppy growling at people--adorable, and in the wrong hands, terrible). He takes her to one of the the four college campuses nearby every day, as well as on every single outing he goes on--hardware store, petstores (he carries her), the bank, everywhere. She's now greeting people appropriately, and she's stopped lunging at bikes and skateboards.

But yeah, barking at strangers is not a big deal. Just be aware that it could escalate, and work to solve it. :]

also super cute puppy! im starting to want one lol i feel so prepared for a high energy dog now that ive had stowrm for a few months

There is hope for Stowrm, of course, but I was more speaking to the importance of early socialization. :]

i know but hearing how much your dad's dog improved over such a short amount of time brings me hope for my dog

Devoted Inquisitor

Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans

i know but hearing how much your dad's dog improved over such a short amount of time brings me hope for my dog

I'm glad. :]

I caution you not to expect such quick turn around for Stowrm, though, because Zoey is a baby, and she's learning how the world is, and learning what's normal, where Stowrm will have to change her prior understanding, which is harder.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans

I caution you not to expect such quick turn around for Stowrm, though, because Zoey is a baby, and she's learning how the world is, and learning what's normal, where Stowrm will have to change her prior understanding, which is harder.

i know, its taken her months to get this far but she is trying at least. she wants to go up to new people if they ignore her or offer her something, she is just too afraid to actually go up to them

Devoted Inquisitor

Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans

i know, its taken her months to get this far but she is trying at least. she wants to go up to new people if they ignore her or offer her something, she is just too afraid to actually go up to them

I actually taught Elsie the command 'go say hi,' to get around this. 'Go say hi' means to poke the offered outstretched palm, and allow them to stroke your head. We shaped it with the clicker at home. :]

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans

I actually taught Elsie the command 'go say hi,' to get around this. 'Go say hi' means to poke the offered outstretched palm, and allow them to stroke your head. We shaped it with the clicker at home. :]

please make me a step by step guide to how you did it

Devoted Inquisitor

Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans

I started with my boyfriend standing in a room, with his hand out, and clicked for Elsie going towards him, then touching it, then him touching her head while she touched it, and once she was doing that whole chain reliably, I named it 'go say hi'. Then I did it with other people she knows, and expanded it to strangers slowly. :]

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans

I started with my boyfriend standing in a room, with his hand out, and clicked for Elsie going towards him, then touching it, then him touching her head while she touched it, and once she was doing that whole chain reliably, I named it 'go say hi'. Then I did it with other people she knows, and expanded it to strangers slowly. :]

ok, thats going to be stowrm's next trick. thank you so much for telling me about it biggrin
Here are more pictures of Keira that I have taken over the last few days. Most of them are of her sleeping. It's hard to get a good picture of her when shes awake. Little wiggle worm haahah.

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

She does play I swear!!! lol
User Image

User Image

We signed up for puppy class at Petco which starts next Monday. I am very excited!! I've been doing a lot of work on her socialization with people and she's doing very well. She'll go up to strangers now when they offer to pet her. Dogs on the other hand...she doesn't have a whole lot of interest in other dogs it seems. I'm living in an apartment and the dogs we have met here are big and crazy/intense. She is very intimidated by them. We met a chihuahua mix at Petco last night who was very friendly but she was not interested. Like at all. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.. She will get to play with her classmates at the beginning of her puppy class so hopefully she will learn to be more comfortable with other dogs.

Aged Hunter

Good for getting into a puppy class.

Word of caution though. Not all pet store classes are equal. I've seen several of my local PetSmarts and PetCos that advertise their classes as all positive reinforcement, but if you're walking through the store there's puppies on choke chains and prong collars. If they EVER ask you to do something you're not comfortable with you can say no, so do it.

Devoted Inquisitor

Shearaha

Word of caution though. Not all pet store classes are equal. I've seen several of my local PetSmarts and PetCos that advertise their classes as all positive reinforcement, but if you're walking through the store there's puppies on choke chains and prong collars. If they EVER ask you to do something you're not comfortable with you can say no, so do it.

This times a thousand. Don't be afraid to ask WHY, too, if they ask you to do something you don't understand. She's YOUR dog, and you NEVER have to do something just because someone 'in charge' tells you to.

She's so gorgeous.

I have the best luck with pictures outside.
Shearaha

I was talking to the trainer who is going to be teaching and I asked her what I should bring and she told me a soft collar and and 6 ft non-retractable.
Latrans
Shearaha

This times a thousand. Don't be afraid to ask WHY, too, if they ask you to do something you don't understand. She's YOUR dog, and you NEVER have to do something just because someone 'in charge' tells you to.

She's so gorgeous.

I have the best luck with pictures outside.

I'm definitely not afraid to question anyone on anything hahah. I think she is too smile I love her puppyness but I'm really excited to watch her grow.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff