Welcome to Gaia! ::

My mom's dog, Maddie, has suddenly become very temperamental. Maddie is a female Chihuahua, and we have another dog named Katie (Pembroke Welsh Corgi female). My sister moved back in with us with her two kids, and their mutt Bolt. Bolt is a male dog. Bolt and the dogs have met before, and Maddie had warmed up to him as long as he wasn't on mom's lap. However, after two or three weeks, Maddie had become VERY temperamental. She keeps stealing one on my sister's kid's pillow pet. The kid, who is only three, went to grab it back, and Maddie bit her. Maddie had NEVER bitten anyone before, and has always been very good with the children. After that, she was rightfully punished. Maddie has not stopped growling at the three year old since. Now, she is getting into fights with the other dogs, especially Katie. Maddie isn't very old, only around four or five. I want this to stop before Maddie, or the three year old get hurt. I'm not really worried about Katie, or Bolt. They've shown they can handle themselves against Maddie.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Curious, is Maddie spayed?
Moth Feathers
Curious, is Maddie spayed?

Yes. We got it done a few months ago.
Well i'm not sure of the exact question here; but I can give you what I think the situation is;

There's been an obvious change. More people and another dog means more attention that isn't direct at Maddie. Chihuahuas are really bad about doing this, and this IS a breed generalization that I myself have experienced and am currently experiencing.

You have to n** it right away. She shouldn't be punished for what isn't her fault. She needs to have just as much attention as she was given before. Dogs are jealous creatures who sometimes have trouble hiding the problem unlike humans.

Earlier today in fact, my new Chihuahua Molly was sitting on my lap and my Cocker Spaniel, Puppy, tried to jump up on the couch and sit next to me. Molly immediately growled at Puppy and Snarled, and Puppy retorted with a Snarl and lunged at her where I shoved my hand in his mouth and pushed him back. I did not yell, but I was stern. I did not tap anyone, either. I put Molly on the floor and walked away. When everything calmed down everyone got treats after tricks were performed.

You have to be calm, and you have to realize it's a huge change for the dog having more people and a dog, even if they've met before. That part is totally null and void, because now these things are in the dog's living space.

-How Often are you walking Maddie?
-Are feeding times separate? Is everyone on scheduled feeding? Does everyone eat in the same room?
-Has one been given more toys and treats lately?
-Has Maddie honestly had equal attention that has not changed what so ever?
-Are you continually teaching her things, such as tricks, and playing games with her, as should be done daily?
Morphine Kiss
Well i'm not sure of the exact question here; but I can give you what I think the situation is;

There's been an obvious change. More people and another dog means more attention that isn't direct at Maddie. Chihuahuas are really bad about doing this, and this IS a breed generalization that I myself have experienced and am currently experiencing.

You have to n** it right away. She shouldn't be punished for what isn't her fault. She needs to have just as much attention as she was given before. Dogs are jealous creatures who sometimes have trouble hiding the problem unlike humans.

Earlier today in fact, my new Chihuahua Molly was sitting on my lap and my Cocker Spaniel, Puppy, tried to jump up on the couch and sit next to me. Molly immediately growled at Puppy and Snarled, and Puppy retorted with a Snarl and lunged at her where I shoved my hand in his mouth and pushed him back. I did not yell, but I was stern. I did not tap anyone, either. I put Molly on the floor and walked away. When everything calmed down everyone got treats after tricks were performed.

You have to be calm, and you have to realize it's a huge change for the dog having more people and a dog, even if they've met before. That part is totally null and void, because now these things are in the dog's living space.

-Are feeding times separate? Is everyone on scheduled feeding? Does everyone eat in the same room?
-Are you continually teaching her things, such as tricks, and playing games with her, as should be done daily?

-I try to walk Maddie every day or every other day.
-They are all fed at the same time, and in the same room. They have separate dishes to eat out of.
-My mother and I have been giving her the same amount of attention, but my sister is always yelling at her, which really isn't much of a change.
-I don't teach her tricks anymore, but we play with her kong, and she plays with the other dogs when she isn't fighting with them.
Ember Oberon
Morphine Kiss

-They are all fed at the same time, and in the same room. They have separate dishes to eat out of.
-My mother and I have been giving her the same amount of attention, but my sister is always yelling at her, which really isn't much of a change.
-I don't teach her tricks anymore, but we play with her kong, and she plays with the other dogs when she isn't fighting with them.

Start making a point to walk her daily, rather you have to do it after work/school at night or in the morning before work/school (Obviously have no idea of your schedule lol). Give at least an hour's walk, unless she refuses to walk that long. Even walk her to a park, just her.

Does she show any food aggression at all towards the others? If so feed her in another room.

Start trying to teach her a new trick. Some people do the "Teach a Trick a Day" method to keep them busy. Run through every single trick she knows every day too, once or twice a day, and reward with a treat or praise after she's gone through everything correctly.
Morphine Kiss
Ember Oberon
Morphine Kiss

Start making a point to walk her daily, rather you have to do it after work/school at night or in the morning before work/school (Obviously have no idea of your schedule lol). Give at least an hour's walk, unless she refuses to walk that long. Even walk her to a park, just her.

Does she show any food aggression at all towards the others? If so feed her in another room.

Start trying to teach her a new trick. Some people do the "Teach a Trick a Day" method to keep them busy. Run through every single trick she knows every day too, once or twice a day, and reward with a treat or praise after she's gone through everything correctly.

I'll try it walking her, and teaching her tricks. She shows no aggression, except with the three year old, and when she is actually fighting with the other dogs.
How does the three-year-old act, especially around Maddie?
~ Aki - Fairy ~

She's usually pretty good, and she will play right with her. Every once in a while, she will get to rough, but it never bothered Maddie to much.
Ember Oberon
~ Aki - Fairy ~

She's usually pretty good, and she will play right with her. Every once in a while, she will get to rough, but it never bothered Maddie to much.

Something could have happened when nobody was looking, perhaps, or Maddie may just see the kid as a bit of a threat (attention-wise). And, Maddie may be trying to "dominate" over the kid, pulling seniority/rank (an "I was here first" sort of mindset).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff