Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Desi the fuzzy fluffhead
My dog's nails click on the ground when she walks. She just has long quicks. So clicking isn't necessarily a sign that dog's nails are too long.

As for mats, they're not super hard thing for pets to get. I have my long haired cat (shaved for the summer) who I brush at least every other day. He still gets some micro-mats. He has a dense as heck undercoat. He'll let me brush them out. It hurts, I hate to brush my own mat prone hair. But I'm not taking scissors to him and he flips with a pair of clippers. I've seen terrible injuries from scissors.
Then again his mats are always pretty loose.

I've found that if I can catch them early enough, which I usually do, I try to find the weak points in the and pull them apart. Either with my fingers or the end of a comb, but I always, hold where the hair meets the skin so it doesn't pull as much. There have been a few times where I had to cut some mats apart, but I gave her an antler, slid a comb, under the mat, and used my thinning shears. Once I got the mats cleared out, I trimmed behind her ears. It took a while, but it worked. Though next time, I may use a bit of coconut oil or dog conditioner to loosen them up a bit more first. Now I only see her once a week, so it's a bit harder to do all that, though my sister tries to brush her as much as she can at home.

Questionable Prophet

Fallen-Pottery-Angel

I've found that if I can catch them early enough, which I usually do, I try to find the weak points in the and pull them apart. Either with my fingers or the end of a comb, but I always, hold where the hair meets the skin so it doesn't pull as much. There have been a few times where I had to cut some mats apart, but I gave her an antler, slid a comb, under the mat, and used my thinning shears. Once I got the mats cleared out, I trimmed behind her ears. It took a while, but it worked. Though next time, I may use a bit of coconut oil or dog conditioner to loosen them up a bit more first. Now I only see her once a week, so it's a bit harder to do all that, though my sister tries to brush her as much as she can at home.

They have some really great detangling sprays out there for dogs.
This stuff is one of the best John Paul Detangling Spray inmo.

My cat is a good sport for his grooming. Arm pits and between the thighs are the worst though.

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

i wish i could get my dogs nails that short

uhg
well they prob are That short since her feet are much smaller xD but i mean in proportion to her

I tell myself to dremmel every day but i keep forgetting :c i'll be good about doing it for like a week and then just up and forget
Nails clicking on the floor puts unneeded stress to the nail bed which is uncomfortable at best. sad Also messes with the way the foot meets the ground and can stress the muscle/ligaments/etc etc if prolonged.

Neither of my dogs click and I try to keep on top of their nails, Luckys were horrendus a few months back

User Image Lucky as of today. A couple months back her nails were completely curved over and horrible. sad

User Image Junipers nails. I keep hers a bit longer for traction and are happy with where they are. I plan to get Luckys back as far as possible.

Timid Raider

I've never trimmed either of my dog's claws -- not once. It's sort of a bad habit that started with the fact that Archie was always really, really weird about his feet. Like, if anyone touched his foot he would jump a mile, and if you consistently tried to mess with his feet he'd just bite you.

Then there was the whole thing where Archie was too active and he kept wearing his nails down so much that they would start bleeding, quite without my intervention.

User Image
Archie's paws/nails.

User Image
Kobi's paws/nails.

I know I'm terrible, but I just let them wear their nails down by themselves, and sometimes have to put boots on Archie to prevent overwear.

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Brodie Asturias
I've never trimmed either of my dog's claws -- not once. It's sort of a bad habit that started with the fact that Archie was always really, really weird about his feet. Like, if anyone touched his foot he would jump a mile, and if you consistently tried to mess with his feet he'd just bite you.

Then there was the whole thing where Archie was too active and he kept wearing his nails down so much that they would start bleeding, quite without my intervention.

User Image
Archie's paws/nails.

User Image
Kobi's paws/nails.

I know I'm terrible, but I just let them wear their nails down by themselves, and sometimes have to put boots on Archie to prevent overwear.

Ouu, I feel you with the feet thing. But at least they wear their nails down, though the bleeding is pretty bad. Are they outside a lot?

We used to groom show huskies who spent basically all their time outside, so when they came in, the owners just had us dremmel then a bit to keep them even.

Annnnd I want to steal Archie from you, he's ******** adorable burning_eyes

Timid Raider

Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Brodie Asturias

Ouu, I feel you with the feet thing. But at least they wear their nails down, though the bleeding is pretty bad. Are they outside a lot?

We used to groom show huskies who spent basically all their time outside, so when they came in, the owners just had us dremmel then a bit to keep them even.

Annnnd I want to steal Archie from you, he's ******** adorable burning_eyes

Yes, they're outside heaps. They aren't quite outdoor dogs -- they're inside in the evenings, and they sleep inside overnight, but they spend the mornings outside. They also go on two medium/long walks a day, and one of those walks is usually on the road because the tides on the beach are unsuitable, so they wear their claws down on the pavement.

It was always his back paws that were the bleeders. He drags his back feet, though he does drag his front feet to an extent too. When we're on the beach, he leaves marks in the sand.

(You don't want Archie though. Archie is a beautiful, beautiful dog and he's lovely, but his health is an expensive nightmare.)
Ikes dremel showed up the other day.

Just took it out the box so soon I'll start to slowly warm him up to it.
Hopefully he'll start to be okay with it.
Question:
With a dremel how close to the quick can you get?

I've gotten 3 out of 4 paws done on him.
We're doing 1 paw a day.
And trying different methods to see which keeps him calm the best.

So far TONS of treats + clicker is the best.
When he gets too anxious he'll pull away pretty fiercely but after a minute or two when he's calm again he comes and lays back down and lets me do more.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Aerobe
Question:
With a dremel how close to the quick can you get?

I've gotten 3 out of 4 paws done on him.
We're doing 1 paw a day.
And trying different methods to see which keeps him calm the best.

So far TONS of treats + clicker is the best.
When he gets too anxious he'll pull away pretty fiercely but after a minute or two when he's calm again he comes and lays back down and lets me do more.

Stowrm let me get right on the quick

One paw a day sounds good. I do 2 a day with stowrm because im lazy
Mk. Ike's quicks are pretty big and I didn't get too close and his nails still touch the ground. So I'm thinking of taking them in more. I just didn't know if it was okay or not.

Maybe one day he'll let me do more than one a day. Would be nice.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff