• Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Shanna66
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Shanna66
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Shanna66
Fallen-Pottery-Angel

From what we learned in school, most petsmart groomers are put through a one year schooling thing, so most aren't very skilled. If you're working with a groomer who's been in the business for a long time, you're generally in good hands. We learned a ton from our grooming prof who is what's known as a master groomer. She's actually magical, and I miss her.

The woman I work with has been doing it for a long time and im learning so much from her

Ahh that's so good!! I loved the new groomer we brought my sisters dog to, because even though she had massive mats, that were tight to her skin, weren't shaved out. And she seemed much happier when I picked her up, compared to when she was picked up from the big box pet store groomer.

Ouch poor thing

Im trying to learn how to destroy bad matts without having to ruin a haircut on a dog. I think im doing ok so far but I still have a long way to go

Combs, de-matting sprays, de-matting rakes, and thinning shears will become your best friend in the never ending fight against matts.

ive been cutting the matts in half and then working them with my fingers. takes forever but the animal seems for comfortable than trying to brush them out

has your sister tried a different diet for her dog? my cat used to get horrible matts all the time even when i brushed him often, but after i put him on a better food i havent seen a single matt and i dont even brush him anymore unless im bored

I've done that, it took a few hours. But I ended up getting both mats on either sides of her ears out.

It's not her diet. It's because the area was shaved, so now it's become more of a mat factor, because all the course guard hair is gone. And she's and aussie, behind her ears are going to mat no matter what.

Eloquent Gawker

Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Savage Destiny
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Latrans
Fallen-Pottery-Angel

Ahh that's so good!! I loved the new groomer we brought my sisters dog to, because even though she had massive mats, that were tight to her skin, weren't shaved out. And she seemed much happier when I picked her up, compared to when she was picked up from the big box pet store groomer.

That poor dog. :[

Yeah, she hates being brushed, last time I tried to brush her, a*****e bit me, not hard but still. Our groomer was able to brush them out some how, and this made me over the moon happy. Last two times we took paise to a petsmart groomer, she came back with bald spots behind her ears, and the mats weren't even that bad. I was less than happy with that.

"I was less than happy that a groomer shaved out MATS on my dog in an incredibly tender, sensitive area!"

That is literally what I am reading.

The first groomer, if she brushed out actual mats close to the skin, pretty much literally abused your dog. Brushing out mats HURTS and there is no way to make it not hurt. No wonder your dog bit you. She is definitely not the a*****e here.

First groomer didn't know s**t. They were the size of a dime, and not to the point of being tight to the skin. They could have easily been broken apart with a de-matting rake, or thinning shears. But groomers who have years and years of experience know every trick in the book on how to break apart a mat. There's these magical products call 'groomers goop' and 'de-matting spray.' It just takes time and patience.

I've been grooming professionally for 10 years.

Do you have any idea how sensitive the skin is behind the ears? Or how easy it is to cut the very thin skin there? That particular area is incredibly painful to be pulled on. A lot of dogs are even sensitive about the vibration of the clippers there. I always shave mats out if they are there, because I care less about the owner who can't be bothered to brush their dog than I do about the DOG being caused unnecessary pain.

I will not brush out a dog that has mats over the majority of its body. I will not try to break up a mat that is close to the skin or is very large. I will not brush out even small mats in a sensitive area. I refuse to do these things because it is painful for the dog, and making a dog go through pain so the owner (who, again, can't be bothered to brush) can be happy about their fluffy dog is ridiculous and abusive.

Your dog hates brushing because she has learned that grooming = pain. Let that sink in for a little bit.

Devoted Inquisitor

Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Latrans
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Latrans
Fallen-Pottery-Angel

Yeah, she hates being brushed, last time I tried to brush her, a*****e bit me, not hard but still. Our groomer was able to brush them out some how, and this made me over the moon happy. Last two times we took paise to a petsmart groomer, she came back with bald spots behind her ears, and the mats weren't even that bad. I was less than happy with that.

Brushing out mats hurts; I don't blame her for hating being brushed if it's painful for her. :[ If she's going to get matted all the time she should be shaved.

That's why she gets so matted up, and the fact that they're friction areas. As soon as you shave a dog, you take away the guard hair, that slightly courser part of their coat. Along with their under coat, the soft fluffy bit, that mats like no tomorrow. By removing the guard hair, you remove whatever protection they have against the elements, and makes more problems for matting in the future because that soft hair gets all tangle, and eventually matted in itself.

And in my defense, this dog see's a brush and runs. I was no where near any matted areas.

I understand that, but it's not fair to make the dog suffer like that. Once the cycle is started, the dog either needs to be brushed regularly or shaved regularly. The dog didn't ask for this. :[

I understand not being able to do a normal grooming activity on the dog--my boyfriend's dog Zobby is bad about nails (because someone clipped them back too short at the groomers and quicked all of them which is very painful). The solution is that we take him to the groomer once a week and pay them to do it rather than fight him at home. That said, most dogs can be trained to accept grooming, especially stuff like brushing.

I just see normal grooming as a welfare issue.

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Savage Destiny
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Savage Destiny
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Latrans
Fallen-Pottery-Angel

"I was less than happy that a groomer shaved out MATS on my dog in an incredibly tender, sensitive area!"

That is literally what I am reading.

The first groomer, if she brushed out actual mats close to the skin, pretty much literally abused your dog. Brushing out mats HURTS and there is no way to make it not hurt. No wonder your dog bit you. She is definitely not the a*****e here.

First groomer didn't know s**t. They were the size of a dime, and not to the point of being tight to the skin. They could have easily been broken apart with a de-matting rake, or thinning shears. But groomers who have years and years of experience know every trick in the book on how to break apart a mat. There's these magical products call 'groomers goop' and 'de-matting spray.' It just takes time and patience.

I've been grooming professionally for 10 years.

Do you have any idea how sensitive the skin is behind the ears? Or how easy it is to cut the very thin skin there? That particular area is incredibly painful to be pulled on. A lot of dogs are even sensitive about the vibration of the clippers there. I always shave mats out if they are there, because I care less about the owner who can't be bothered to brush their dog than I do about the DOG being caused unnecessary pain.

I will not brush out a dog that has mats over the majority of its body. I will not try to break up a mat that is close to the skin or is very large. I will not brush out even small mats in a sensitive area. I refuse to do these things because it is painful for the dog, and making a dog go through pain so the owner (who, again, can't be bothered to brush) can be happy about their fluffy dog is ridiculous and abusive.

Your dog hates brushing because she has learned that grooming = pain. Let that sink in for a little bit.

Congrats.

I can see shaving a completely matted dog, that makes sense, it's humane. Removing small mats or mats in loose areas isn't painful if done properly.

That's why I always have something, be it frozen peanut butter or an antler on hand whenever I brush her. She's my sister's dog, and generally I'll clip the fluffy s**t down to get rid of the mat factor, but I don't always see her. My sister takes amazing care of the dog, its not like she lets her get matted up for shits and giggle. I was half expecting the dog to come back with a few bald spots. But she didn't. My prof is a certified master groomer, her rule of thumb is if you can reach skin, there's always hope. Sliding a comb between the mat and skin allows for thinning shears, not scissors, to be used, to break apart the mat, which caused no pain. Some dogs go ballistic when they are touched my a brush or clippers because they don't like the feeling, or are being mellow dramatic when your not causing any pain in the least. Huskies are a prime example of that.

Eloquent Gawker

Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Congrats.

I can see shaving a completely matted dog, that makes sense, it's humane. Removing small mats or mats in loose areas isn't painful if done properly.

That's why I always have something, be it frozen peanut butter or an antler on hand whenever I brush her. She's my sister's dog, and generally I'll clip the fluffy s**t down to get rid of the mat factor, but I don't always see her. My sister takes amazing care of the dog, its not like she lets her get matted up for shits and giggle. I was half expecting the dog to come back with a few bald spots. But she didn't. My prof is a certified master groomer, her rule of thumb is if you can reach skin, there's always hope. Sliding a comb between the mat and skin allows for thinning shears, not scissors, to be used, to break apart the mat, which caused no pain. Some dogs go ballistic when they are touched my a brush or clippers because they don't like the feeling, or are being mellow dramatic when your not causing any pain in the least. Huskies are a prime example of that.

Well, you can feel just fine about ripping mats out of a dog if that's' what you really want to do. But I most definitely consider it abuse to force a dog to be dematted over the majority of its body, to the skin or no.

Literally you are caring more about the hair than the dogs. That has always been insane to me.

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Latrans
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Latrans
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Latrans
Fallen-Pottery-Angel

Brushing out mats hurts; I don't blame her for hating being brushed if it's painful for her. :[ If she's going to get matted all the time she should be shaved.

That's why she gets so matted up, and the fact that they're friction areas. As soon as you shave a dog, you take away the guard hair, that slightly courser part of their coat. Along with their under coat, the soft fluffy bit, that mats like no tomorrow. By removing the guard hair, you remove whatever protection they have against the elements, and makes more problems for matting in the future because that soft hair gets all tangle, and eventually matted in itself.

And in my defense, this dog see's a brush and runs. I was no where near any matted areas.

I understand that, but it's not fair to make the dog suffer like that. Once the cycle is started, the dog either needs to be brushed regularly or shaved regularly. The dog didn't ask for this. :[

I understand not being able to do a normal grooming activity on the dog--my boyfriend's dog Zobby is bad about nails (because someone clipped them back too short at the groomers and quicked all of them which is very painful). The solution is that we take him to the groomer once a week and pay them to do it rather than fight him at home. That said, most dogs can be trained to accept grooming, especially stuff like brushing.

I just see normal grooming as a welfare issue.

Generally when my sister keeps up with the brushing, paise will tolerate it, and just let you do what needs to be done. As soon as a day or two is missed, it's back to square one. And over the past few weeks, things have been a little haphazard for her with school, and her roommates puppy wreaking havoc on their apartment.

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Savage Destiny
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Congrats.

Well, you can feel just fine about ripping mats out of a dog if that's' what you really want to do. But I most definitely consider it abuse to force a dog to be dematted over the majority of its body, to the skin or no.

Literally you are caring more about the hair than the dogs. That has always been insane to me.

First off, huskies, they don't mat...ever. They tuft like mother ********, and can be had stripped, which I can gaurentee causes no pain.
Secondly I'm not ripping the hair off of anyones dog. If it needs to be shaved, then it needs to be shaved, I get that.

I care more about that spazztic dog than anything, even if she isn't mine. That's why we took her to get groomed. Because we both new it was only going to get worse.

Devoted Inquisitor

Fallen-Pottery-Angel

Generally when my sister keeps up with the brushing, paise will tolerate it, and just let you do what needs to be done. As soon as a day or two is missed, it's back to square one. And over the past few weeks, things have been a little haphazard for her with school, and her roommates puppy wreaking havoc on their apartment.

That's good! Has she looked at clicker training? This is the kind of stuff it really shines for.

Eloquent Gawker

Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Savage Destiny
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Congrats.

First off, huskies, they don't mat...ever. They tuft like mother ********, and can be had stripped, which I can gaurentee causes no pain.
Secondly I'm not ripping the hair off of anyones dog. If it needs to be shaved, then it needs to be shaved, I get that.

I care more about that spazztic dog than anything, even if she isn't mine. That's why we took her to get groomed. Because we both new it was only going to get worse.

When the hell did I say Huskies matted, exactly?

You're also contradicting yourself... you complained about the mats behind the ears being shaved, but now you're ok with shaving out mats. lol.

Anxious Werewolf

16,150 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • The Wolf Within 100
This thread made me realize how bad Sally's nails are xp

They just grow so darn fast I can't keep up.
I'm going to try that technique Latrans, I've been going side to side with my dermal.
User Image
This is how long I keep Creed's. They're a little longer than some show folks in my breed keep them, but I think sport/working dogs need the traction for sharp turns etc. He doesn't click on the floor so as long as that remains true I'm fine with his length.

Celestial Dog

Her nails definitely look nice and short! It sounds like you've got a really good nail care regimen going, too. If you're grinding them down weekly and the quicks are staying put that might be as short as they CAN be for her.

Nails can be a tough thing to always judge, some dogs just naturally have longer nails. Especially dogs who are designed to do things like digging.

I keep my dogs' nails pretty short. Abby's tend to stay a tiny bit on the long side, though. Just enough that she's almost always tapdancing. Her quicks are naturally pretty long. They've never overgrown since I've been regularly trimming her nails since she was a puppy, they're just kinda... like that.
Also they're sparkly purple right now because my mother makes me paint them every time I bring them to the salon I work at. >>;

...halloween colors this month aw yeh.
Q2k

Also they're sparkly purple right now because my mother makes me paint them every time I bring them to the salon I work at. >>;

...halloween colors this month aw yeh.
I'm jealous. I want to paint Kirby's nails either orange/black or candy corn colors. You can't see his nails though so that would be pointless. I've debated shaving off all the fur from his paws to see the nails, but that would probably look pretty hideous and not be worth it, so I'll sit over here being jelly.

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
This reminds me I need to pack my nail clippers for this weekend. I have a feeling my cousin is going to want me to clip her dogs nails, plus I need to do my sisters dog too. Speaking of paws, does anyone know where I'd be able to find a pair of small, either cordless or battery powered clippers? The groomers clean her pads out, and I'd like to keep them that way, especially for winter, due to the snow and ice balls that form there. I have a pair, but they're rather big, and kind of awkward. That and I don't like how the blade works. I think I may just sell them, but I need another one first.

Questionable Prophet

My dog's nails click on the ground when she walks. She just has long quicks. So clicking isn't necessarily a sign that dog's nails are too long.

As for mats, they're not super hard thing for pets to get. I have my long haired cat (shaved for the summer) who I brush at least every other day. He still gets some micro-mats. He has a dense as heck undercoat. He'll let me brush them out. It hurts, I hate to brush my own mat prone hair. But I'm not taking scissors to him and he flips with a pair of clippers. I've seen terrible injuries from scissors.
Then again his mats are always pretty loose.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff