Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Inquisitor

Groomers:

How do you do dogs' nails? Like, when someone pays to have their dogs nails done, but the nails are all crazy, do you just take them back a teeny bit?

I ask because I was doing Elsie's once a week, but then over the summer we weren't walking much and they got all long--not long enough to touch when she stood flat, but long enough to click and irritate me. So now we're doing a quick-touch dremmeling twice a day to try and get her quick to recede so she can have short pretty nails again. But it made me wonder; like when you only see the dog once... do you just send them home with long nails, because of the quick?

HOW DOES THIS WORK?

PS: I finally got the boyfriend on board with a long-term get Zobby used to the dremmel plan so that he won't have sad raptor toes anymore. Right now we're up to touching one toe quickly with the turned-off device stage of training. Go little man!

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

I love Elsie's new picture

I've heard stories of dogs getting their nails cut through the quick, effective but ouch.

I need to file Cookie's nail's more often because I want them to recede, but then I go long periods of 'never getting around to it' uhg
this is motivating me to do her nails right now, yay lol
Latrans
Groomers:

How do you do dogs' nails? Like, when someone pays to have their dogs nails done, but the nails are all crazy, do you just take them back a teeny bit?

I ask because I was doing Elsie's once a week, but then over the summer we weren't walking much and they got all long--not long enough to touch when she stood flat, but long enough to click and irritate me. So now we're doing a quick-touch dremmeling twice a day to try and get her quick to recede so she can have short pretty nails again. But it made me wonder; like when you only see the dog once... do you just send them home with long nails, because of the quick?

HOW DOES THIS WORK?

PS: I finally got the boyfriend on board with a long-term get Zobby used to the dremmel plan so that he won't have sad raptor toes anymore. Right now we're up to touching one toe quickly with the turned-off device stage of training. Go little man!

It all depends on the quick. When a dog's nails grow long, the quick does as well. Trimming the nail makes the quick recede. If the nail is long but the quick has not grown very long, then I will trim the nail back all the way to just before the quick. If the nails are long and the quick has grown long as well, I will dremmel the nail a little and send my clients home with clippers and give them a lesson on how to do it themselves. Or I tell them to bring their dog in twice a week and I will do their nails.

All the dogs that come to me for pet boarding or doggy day care get their nails done. As well when I do training, I finish with a grooming lesson and do their dog's nails then as well. I do my dog's nails once to twice a week, depending on if they walk on pavement or not. I own acreage, so it is not very often that my dogs walk on pavement. So I have to do their nails more often. If we are visiting family and they are walking on pavement more then I do not have to do them, as the pavement wears them down. Dog's that dig a lot will wear down their nails as well.
Crazy nails make me sad =[.

While grooming I saw dogs everyday with curled toes. Most likely a lot of that is just dead nail and not quick. I always started by taking off a little bit to get an idea of where each dog was at specifically but most of the time you end up able to take off a decent amount. Not enough to make it great and they usually still touch the floor/click when they walk but at least so the dog is no longer walking on the nail. You can only do so much and we always made sure to give the owners a long talk about how it hurts their dog etc; Bottom line is people either don't think about it or don't care.

I know vets specifically can push the quick back a lot more rapidly but I've heard the way they do that may not be the nicest.

You just learn to tell what to look for. Of course it is easiest in white nails but having styptic powder around is always a good idea just in case.

If you know what Elsie's quick looks like and can tell you're there then the dremmel is definitely the best for getting them back to the length you want. You can get a lot closer with the dremmel tool than with nail clippers alone and I always recommend it anyway.

Devoted Inquisitor

Eri fox

I've heard stories of dogs getting their nails cut through the quick, effective but ouch.

I need to file Cookie's nail's more often because I want them to recede, but then I go long periods of 'never getting around to it' uhg

Thank you! emotion_kirakira That's her "I know I'm tired but throw the ball 11 more times please?" face.

Hergg, I can't even imagine how bad that must hurt. D:

That was my problem this summer, lol. Her nails aren't bad, but they're not the cute little nubs all the cool people's dogs have. lol

Devoted Inquisitor

SHD

If the nail is long but the quick has not grown very long, then I will trim the nail back all the way to just before the quick. If the nails are long and the quick has grown long as well, I will dremmel the nail a little and send my clients home with clippers and give them a lesson on how to do it themselves. Or I tell them to bring their dog in twice a week and I will do their nails.

Do you charge each time people bring their dog in?

Quote:
All the dogs that come to me for pet boarding or doggy day care get their nails done. As well when I do training, I finish with a grooming lesson and do their dog's nails then as well.

Your clients have to let you do their dogs' nails?

The dog boarding and grooming world fascinates me.

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

Latrans
Eri fox

Thank you! emotion_kirakira That's her "I know I'm tired but throw the ball 11 more times please?" face.

That was my problem this summer, lol. Her nails aren't bad, but they're not the cute little nubs all the cool people's dogs have. lol

right, and it's only her front nails that get long. her back nails are never bad.
and here I am still sitting on the computer I haven't even started on her nails yet lol
this quote is reminding me to do so now...
getting off computer
right
NOW!

Devoted Inquisitor

Marquess de Sade
Crazy nails make me sad =[.

While grooming I saw dogs everyday with curled toes. Most likely a lot of that is just dead nail and not quick. I always started by taking off a little bit to get an idea of where each dog was at specifically but most of the time you end up able to take off a decent amount. Not enough to make it great and they usually still touch the floor/click when they walk but at least so the dog is no longer walking on the nail. You can only do so much and we always made sure to give the owners a long talk about how it hurts their dog etc; Bottom line is people either don't think about it or don't care.

I know vets specifically can push the quick back a lot more rapidly but I've heard the way they do that may not be the nicest.

You just learn to tell what to look for. Of course it is easiest in white nails but having styptic powder around is always a good idea just in case.

If you know what Elsie's quick looks like and can tell you're there then the dremmel is definitely the best for getting them back to the length you want. You can get a lot closer with the dremmel tool than with nail clippers alone and I always recommend it anyway.

Me too! It must be so uncomfortable, and I worry about long term effects.

:[ That is so sad. Zobby's nails are k-razzy bad, but they're not curled at all, just way too long. He gets run ~8 miles/week on pavement AND he has a scratch board that he digs on every other day so I don't know why they're not nubs. mad

Lol, I know how to do Elsie's nails; that's no problem. I'm just working the quick back right now and it occurred to me that I have no idea how you'd do it in one session without being cruel.

Because Zobby used to go to the groomer for his nails every 6 weeks, and when he moved in here, I was like f that lol i own dremmel and if you tried to touch his feet he'd straight up bite you while screaming in absolute blind terror, and he didn't used to be that way, so I was wondering if maybe that particular groomer wasn't super gentle. It took a couple months to get him okay with anyone handling his feet again, and now we're working on getting him comfortable with the dremmel.

Devoted Inquisitor

Eri fox
Latrans
Eri fox

right, and it's only her front nails that get long. her back nails are never bad.
and here I am still sitting on the computer I haven't even started on her nails yet lol
this quote is reminding me to do so now...
getting off computer
right
NOW!

DO IT DO IT DO IT!

Elsie's back toes aren't as bad either, although they're still slightly longer than I prefer them to be.
Latrans
SHD

If the nail is long but the quick has not grown very long, then I will trim the nail back all the way to just before the quick. If the nails are long and the quick has grown long as well, I will dremmel the nail a little and send my clients home with clippers and give them a lesson on how to do it themselves. Or I tell them to bring their dog in twice a week and I will do their nails.

Do you charge each time people bring their dog in?

Quote:
All the dogs that come to me for pet boarding or doggy day care get their nails done. As well when I do training, I finish with a grooming lesson and do their dog's nails then as well.

Your clients have to let you do their dogs' nails?

The dog boarding and grooming world fascinates me.

My clients don't HAVE to let me do their nails, but they do let me. It's in the contract for their Doggy Day Care or Pet Boarding that a nail trim is included. If their nails are really bad and need to be done, then I do charge. But if they want to go to a different groomer or do it themselves, then I'm happy to give them lessons on how too.
By the way, I like Elsie's new picture! 4laugh
Latrans

Me too! It must be so uncomfortable, and I worry about long term effects.

:[ That is so sad. Zobby's nails are k-razzy bad, but they're not curled at all, just way too long. He gets run ~8 miles/week on pavement AND he has a scratch board that he digs on every other day so I don't know why they're not nubs. mad

Lol, I know how to do Elsie's nails; that's no problem. I'm just working the quick back right now and it occurred to me that I have no idea how you'd do it in one session without being cruel.

Because Zobby used to go to the groomer for his nails every 6 weeks, and when he moved in here, I was like f that lol i own dremmel and if you tried to touch his feet he'd straight up bite you while screaming in absolute blind terror, and he didn't used to be that way, so I was wondering if maybe that particular groomer wasn't super gentle. It took a couple months to get him okay with anyone handling his feet again, and now we're working on getting him comfortable with the dremmel.

One of the groomers I worked with quicked almost every single time even though she'd been doing it for 20+ years. Any of her regulars were terrible for nails. They just learned that it always hurt them. I felt really awful when I was learning how to do it and the first nail I ever trimmed I quicked (go figure) but I'm pretty good now. Haven't quicked in ages. I don't know why she was so bad at it. It was so sad.

Devoted Inquisitor

SHD

My clients don't HAVE to let me do their nails, but they do let me. It's in the contract for their Doggy Day Care or Pet Boarding that a nail trim is included. If their nails are really bad and need to be done, then I do charge. But if they want to go to a different groomer or do it themselves, then I'm happy to give them lessons on how too.

How interesting--so they can opt out by changing that part of the contract?

How does your facility screen dogs?

Devoted Inquisitor

Marquess de Sade

One of the groomers I worked with quicked almost every single time even though she'd been doing it for 20+ years. Any of her regulars were terrible for nails. They just learned that it always hurt them. I felt really awful when I was learning how to do it and the first nail I ever trimmed I quicked (go figure) but I'm pretty good now. Haven't quicked in ages. I don't know why she was so bad at it. It was so sad.

That's so awful! emotion_donotwant That'd make me so cranky if I got my dog back and her nails were quicked.

Although I have the worlds most weenie dog of all time, who, if you quick her, will fuss about it for days.
Latrans
Marquess de Sade

That's so awful! emotion_donotwant That'd make me so cranky if I got my dog back and her nails were quicked.

Although I have the worlds most weenie dog of all time, who, if you quick her, will fuss about it for days.

She had a very particular kind of client. Mostly old people and she always gave them the 'Oh your dog struggles so much it's so hard' and they always let it go and still tipped her. surprised I never understood. Her haircuts were terrible too. She insisted that people wanted to be able to see the lines confused I have no idea how she was booked solid.

I only have an imaginary dog, so I'm not sure how they would react XD I'd be very upset though if it was more than one nail and frequently. Of course, I'd probably be doing it myself so...=D

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff