Welcome to Gaia! ::

When I used to live with my mom, our family had 5 cats. My cat Specht was the second oldest, and was always cranky and 'bipolar" (cuddling one minute, scratching the next). It was not until I moved our of my moms house and took Specht with me that I saw a much calmer side of her. We figured out that the other cats were making her always on edge because they used to bully her.

Specht (now 10) and I have been living happily with my fiance and his one cat Chino for about 2 years now (Chino does not bother Specht) in our apartment. however, due to unforeseen circumstances, we have to move back home with my mom for a few months- into a house with 4 other cats.

I feel so bad for Specht, mostly because she has no idea, and I hate to see her become so skittish and bullied again. What can I do?
Do a slow introduction. Make sure Specht has lots of personal space that your mom's cats can't get at her. Make sure in general that the cats have lots of spaces to get away from one another (high open spaces like shelves and trees as well as low enclosed spaces (cubbyholes, under the furniture, etc)). Look into pheromone-products like Feliway (you can get diffusers for the room, calming collers, sprays, etc..). Make sure you have enough litterboxes (general rule is one per cat plus one), multiple water bowls, that they each have their own food bowl, etc.. Uncovered boxes are preferable with multiple cats and in areas where they can't be ambushed and cornered; same goes for the food and water with respect to not being ambushed/cornered. Remember to reward positive behaviour in any/all of the cats, and that playtime is great for getting them to calm down and whatnot.

Also check out http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/ for tips

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces