Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Henrika
Bubble Shark
Mistress of Rain
sad So the vet checked his teeth and said they were fine?

Yeah, his teeth are fine.

Did the first force feeding just now though and it went really well. A little over a tablespoon of super nutritious food mixed with water down the hatch. More tonight. Fingers crossed that he eats on his own soon.
I would also suggest softening and blenderizing his kibble (use a high quality one) and mixing it with the baby food will inject some nutrients and tourine etc. in to him.

The food he's eating is this highly recommended "critical care" soft food. I think it's called "pate," you know, that ground up peanut buttery texture food? It's super extreme good for them, the vet gave it to me today.

I just did the second feeding, and he takes it really well and doesn't puke it up or anything. It's just some of the food mixed with water so I can suck it up in the syringe and squirt it in his mouth.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
General napkin
You say "old grey cat" how old is old? Do you know roughly how many years? He really just sounds like he's getting really old and is about ready to pass. Animals, even people slow down tremendously on eating when they get older. It might just be his time. Be sure to check your house for vomit.
He's around 10, which isn't that old, really.
Bubble Shark
General napkin
You say "old grey cat" how old is old? Do you know roughly how many years? He really just sounds like he's getting really old and is about ready to pass. Animals, even people slow down tremendously on eating when they get older. It might just be his time. Be sure to check your house for vomit.
Some animals have shorter life expectancy. It really depends on the animal, not always "normal" life expectancy of it's species. I had a rat for a little over 1 year and he turned super old and grey and died of old age. Then I find out rats usually live for 2 years. :/

I do hope your cat is just sick, but be prepared for the worst. :c

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
General napkin
Bubble Shark
General napkin
Some animals have shorter life expectancy. It really depends on the animal, not always "normal" life expectancy of it's species. I had a rat for a little over 1 year and he turned super old and grey and died of old age. Then I find out rats usually live for 2 years. :/

I do hope your cat is just sick, but be prepared for the worst. :c

I know. He tested negative for feline leukemia and FIV, and I think if I got the other blood test, it would either give me no news or bad news. I mean, there's a million things it could be, but top of the list is renal failure or liver failure. Neither of which have a very good prognosis.

He's taking the force feeding well. When I say "force feeding," it sounds awful and violent, but it's really more like bottle feeding, honestly, it's not too hard with him. And he's also on antibiotics.

But I can't do this forever. I think if he doesn't start eating on his own, I'll have to put him down and it really upsets me sad
Bubble Shark

I know. He tested negative for feline leukemia and FIV, and I think if I got the other blood test, it would either give me no news or bad news. I mean, there's a million things it could be, but top of the list is renal failure or liver failure. Neither of which have a very good prognosis.

He's taking the force feeding well. When I say "force feeding," it sounds awful and violent, but it's really more like bottle feeding, honestly, it's not too hard with him. And he's also on antibiotics.

But I can't do this forever. I think if he doesn't start eating on his own, I'll have to put him down and it really upsets me sad

It is never easy to see a beloved pet go, my heart goes out to you. :/
I really wish I could help more. But time will tell. Keep us updated.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
General napkin
Bubble Shark

Thanks. I'll keep this thread going with any new changes.

I'm just seriously hoping maybe he just has some kind of belly upset or something, or something that the antibiotics will take care of and fix and he'll feel better and eat on his own again.

But I also don't want to get my hopes up, since it's not looking good so far.

And I don't want him to suffer. I just don't know when the correct time is to put an animal down. I wish someone else could make the decision for me. When I hold him he purrs and purrs, and when we go to the vet he's alert and meows, and he's loving on everyone and purrs. But I know he doesn't feel well and he doesn't groom himself, and unless I drag him out for his feedings/vet trips/medicine, he's sleeping in a dark small space. It just doesn't seem like a good life, but he can't tell me how he feels. I just don't want to put him down and feel like maybe he didn't have to go.

I don't know what to do, really emotion_8c
Bubble Shark
General napkin
Bubble Shark

Thanks. I'll keep this thread going with any new changes.

I'm just seriously hoping maybe he just has some kind of belly upset or something, or something that the antibiotics will take care of and fix and he'll feel better and eat on his own again.

But I also don't want to get my hopes up, since it's not looking good so far.

And I don't want him to suffer. I just don't know when the correct time is to put an animal down. I wish someone else could make the decision for me. When I hold him he purrs and purrs, and when we go to the vet he's alert and meows, and he's loving on everyone and purrs. But I know he doesn't feel well and he doesn't groom himself, and unless I drag him out for his feedings/vet trips/medicine, he's sleeping in a dark small space. It just doesn't seem like a good life, but he can't tell me how he feels. I just don't want to put him down and feel like maybe he didn't have to go.

I don't know what to do, really emotion_8c

Well, give him some time to heal and for the meds to kick in and hopefully do their job. You'll know when he's ready to go. Just make him as comfortable as possible.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
He ate almost half of the bowl on his own today! Didn't have to squirt it in his mouth! Hoping he'll start eating completely on his own heart
Bubble Shark
Henrika
Bubble Shark
Mistress of Rain

Did the first force feeding just now though and it went really well. A little over a tablespoon of super nutritious food mixed with water down the hatch. More tonight. Fingers crossed that he eats on his own soon.
I would also suggest softening and blenderizing his kibble (use a high quality one) and mixing it with the baby food will inject some nutrients and tourine etc. in to him.

The food he's eating is this highly recommended "critical care" soft food. I think it's called "pate," you know, that ground up peanut buttery texture food? It's super extreme good for them, the vet gave it to me today.

I just did the second feeding, and he takes it really well and doesn't puke it up or anything. It's just some of the food mixed with water so I can suck it up in the syringe and squirt it in his mouth.
I've never heard of that before, but it's probably a good option. I've had a few times when Rolo got stressed or sick (stressed from a flight & feeling miserable after reaction to his vaccines) and wouldn't eat on his own, so I had to blenderize kibble + chicken formula and syringe it to him, and it usually gets him over it until he will eat on his own.
Bubble Shark
He ate almost half of the bowl on his own today! Didn't have to squirt it in his mouth! Hoping he'll start eating completely on his own heart
Yay! Progress! Also, I'm not sure what is in the paste, but you could also try adding some probiotic supplements, might help.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Henrika
Bubble Shark
Henrika
Bubble Shark
Mistress of Rain

I've never heard of that before, but it's probably a good option. I've had a few times when Rolo got stressed or sick (stressed from a flight & feeling miserable after reaction to his vaccines) and wouldn't eat on his own, so I had to blenderize kibble + chicken formula and syringe it to him, and it usually gets him over it until he will eat on his own.

Yeah, it's super high calorie and mega nutritious, I think they use it for rescued animals that haven't eaten in like weeks. And really old animals. And animals like mine that just refuse to eat. I'm about to try to feed him again though, hoping he just digs in on his own emotion_c8

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff