Welcome to Gaia! ::

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
It's my old gray haired cat, just a cat that was an outside wanderer turned inside house cat, so I'm not sure of his age. He lives with my mom since I couldn't take him when I moved out.

Deal is, my mom called me the other day and told me he hasn't been eating much at all.
So I went over and tried to get him to eat some beef broth (he doesn't care much for chunky food, or I would have got him soft food, but he really likes gravy, and something's better than nothing). He licked up most of the bowl, I'd say maybe 1/3 cup.

My mom got him to eat just a few little bites of leftover Easter ham, but he still hasn't touched his cat food, and this is about 5 days now. My mom tried the beef broth again last night, but he wouldn't eat it.

I'm calling the vet ASAP tomorrow morning, but I just want to know what to expect. Any stories like this one? I know he could be really old, and there's a good chance that there's nothing we can do, but I still have hope. There's nothing I can do tonight, as he's at my mom's and I'm at home.

I'm just so sad, I don't want him to die.

Took him to the vet yesterday, sent me to another vet for blood work. Negative test for feline leukemia and FIV, which is good. Start force feeding today sad

Chatty Cat

12,000 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
Bubble Shark
It's my old gray haired cat, just a cat that was an outside wanderer turned inside house cat, so I'm not sure of his age. But at least 10 years. He lives with my mom since I couldn't take him when I moved out.

Deal is, my mom called me the other day and told me he hasn't been eating much at all.
So I went over and tried to get him to eat some beef broth (he doesn't care much for chunky food, or I would have got him soft food, but he really likes gravy, and something's better than nothing). He licked up most of the bowl, I'd say maybe 1/3 cup.

My mom got him to eat just a few little bites of leftover Easter ham, but he still hasn't touched his cat food, and this is about 5 days now. My mom tried the beef broth again last night, but he wouldn't eat it.

I'm calling the vet ASAP tomorrow morning, but I just want to know what to expect. Any stories like this one? I know he could be really old, and there's a good chance that there's nothing we can do, but I still have hope. There's nothing I can do tonight, as he's at my mom's and I'm at home.

I'm just so sad, I don't want him to die sad
Its hard to tell but take him to the vet to see if its a medical issue or simply depression. sad Death does come eventually and its best to know that its happening then to come home and find the worst. Did your mom change his food recently? How long has he been sick? And did you have any other animals in the house that may have passed away recently or maybe somthing gave him a major shock?

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
Go to the vet, get his teeth checked out, and all that jazz. You could try putting broth of some kind over his cat food.... or if it is to a point you could try some meat baby food.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Punkin Avis
Bubble Shark
It's my old gray haired cat, just a cat that was an outside wanderer turned inside house cat, so I'm not sure of his age. But at least 10 years. He lives with my mom since I couldn't take him when I moved out.

Its hard to tell but take him to the vet to see if its a medical issue or simply depression. sad Death does come eventually and its best to know that its happening then to come home and find the worst. Did your mom change his food recently? How long has he been sick? And did you have any other animals in the house that may have passed away recently or maybe somthing gave him a major shock?

No, there's a little Jack Russell there that he's always got along with, and he's still alive. He's been eating the same food since we got him and has never turned down gravy or broth before. Nothing in his life has changed at all. I was just told that he got sick three days ago, when my mom told me he hadn't eaten anything for two days. That's when I was able to get him to eat some broth, and the next day my mom got him to eat some ham. That's all he's eaten in five days sad

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Mistress of Rain
Go to the vet, get his teeth checked out, and all that jazz. You could try putting broth of some kind over his cat food.... or if it is to a point you could try some meat baby food.

Oh wow, I didn't even think about his teeth...

I'm calling the vet tomorrow, and have a day off Thursday to take him. I just hope that's not too late.

I tried to give him straight broth since he's really picky and usually won't eat anything that's crunchy or basically anything he has to chew, except for his cat food obviously (he really likes gravy and broth, though).

I'll tell my mom to pick up some meat baby food (which sounds mega yuck by the way, I've never even heard of that).

Chatty Cat

12,000 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
Bubble Shark
Punkin Avis
Bubble Shark

No, there's a little Jack Russell there that he's always got along with, and he's still alive. He's been eating the same food since we got him and has never turned down gravy or broth before. Nothing in his life has changed at all. I was just told that he got sick three days ago, when my mom told me he hadn't eaten anything for two days. That's when I was able to get him to eat some broth, and the next day my mom got him to eat some ham. That's all he's eaten in five days sad
Definently see what the vet has to say then. He is getting older and may, as Mistress Rain says,need to get his teeth checked. They also might be able to tell you if its somthing serious. He may have been sick for longer but cats have odd ways of telling their people theres somthing wrong with them. Not eating is a major deal. sad I wish the best of luck to you and your feline friend

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Bubble Shark
Mistress of Rain

Oh wow, I didn't even think about his teeth...

I'm calling the vet tomorrow, and have a day off Thursday to take him. I just hope that's not too late.

I tried to give him straight broth since he's really picky and usually won't eat anything that's crunchy or basically anything he has to chew, except for his cat food obviously (he really likes gravy and broth, though).

I'll tell my mom to pick up some meat baby food (which sounds mega yuck by the way, I've never even heard of that).

It is what my older cats lived on for like 6 months after they stopped eating even wet cat food. My aunt never took them to the vet though...but thinking back I'm sure they had some sort of issue with their teeth.

since cats are obligated carnivores the baby food that is mostly meat is the best, only thing you have to worry about is him not getting the Tautren that cats need....but i think they make some sort of supplements you could use if he has to be on it for a long period.
that is so bad neutral

Dapper Informer

Taking him to the vet sounds like a good plan.
You might also want to consider transiting him to soft food. I had to do the same with a elderly cat I use to have because she started having problems chewing and digesting hard food.

It took me a few tries finding the right kind of cat food that she would eat, so you might have to do the same thing if he's a picky eater too.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Mistress of Rain
Bubble Shark
Mistress of Rain

Oh wow, I didnt even think about his teeth...

Im calling the vet tomorrow, and have a day off Thursday to take him. I just hope thats not too late.

I tried to give him straight broth since hes really picky and usually wont eat anything thats crunchy or basically anything he has to chew, except for his cat food obviously he really likes gravy and broth, though).

Ill tell my mom to pick up some meat baby food which sounds mega yuck by the way, Ive never even heard of that).

It is what my older cats lived on for like 6 months after they stopped eating even wet cat food. My aunt never took them to the vet though...but thinking back Im sure they had some sort of issue with their teeth.

since cats are obligated carnivores the baby food that is mostly meat is the best, only thing you have to worry about is him not getting the Tautren that cats need....but i think they make some sort of supplements you could use if he has to be on it for a long period.

Took him to the vet today, theyre thinking feline diabetes. Blood work tomorrow morning at 9:30, fingers crossed for something good.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Negative blood test for FIV and feline leukemia. Starting antibiotics and force feeding sad

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
sad So the vet checked his teeth and said they were fine?

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Mistress of Rain

Yeah, his teeth are fine.

Did the first force feeding just now though and it went really well. A little over a tablespoon of super nutritious food mixed with water down the hatch. More tonight. Fingers crossed that he eats on his own soon.
Bubble Shark
Mistress of Rain

Yeah, his teeth are fine.

Did the first force feeding just now though and it went really well. A little over a tablespoon of super nutritious food mixed with water down the hatch. More tonight. Fingers crossed that he eats on his own soon.
I would also suggest softening and blenderizing his kibble (use a high quality one) and mixing it with the baby food will inject some nutrients and tourine etc. in to him.
You say "old grey cat" how old is old? Do you know roughly how many years? He really just sounds like he's getting really old and is about ready to pass. Animals, even people slow down tremendously on eating when they get older. It might just be his time. Be sure to check your house for vomit.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff