Welcome to Gaia! ::

She's always peeing and pooing and vomiting all over the house. My mom is the only person who likes her. My cat, on the other hand, is awesome. How can two cats be so different? My cat embodies everything a cat should be. She always uses the litterbox, doesn't puke, purrs when I pet her, is very cuddly, and is just awesome in every way. I wish both cats could be as awesome as my cat.
Are you different from your peers (classmates), siblings, cousins?

How many litterboxes do you have?
What kind of food (brand name, please) are the cats being fed?
How well do the cats get along with each other?

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Actually, inappropriate elimination and vomiting can be signs of serious issues going on.

First, is her cat spayed?
Second, has she been to the vet to rule out any urinary tract problems? It's very common in cats, particularly when they are fed dry food, and if the problems aren't treated they can lead to much worse maladies.
Third, how many litterboxes are in the household? Sometimes cats will protect litterboxes from other cats in the household. There should be one litterbox per cat plus one extra, so in total you should have three litterboxes.
What kind of litterboxes are they and what litter do you use? How often are they scooped? Some cats don't like hooded litterboxes, and some can be picky on the litter. Litterboxes should be scooped at least once a day.

For the vomiting, are the cats free-fed? Freefeeding can contribute to that. Also, feeding a high quality diet should help significantly with the vomiting, if not eliminate it entirely. Many cats have allergies to the grains and other nasties put in low-quality cat foods.

Liberal Codger

I'll be honest with you, the vomiting is probably just something you're gonna have to live with. Cats vomit. Hairballs are a b***h. lol

BUT, you may try adding another litter box to your house. I have two because when I got a second cat, I thought he may enjoy his own. (Of course, they share, so I may not have needed it...but oh well.)

If you already have multiple litter boxes, I'd give kitty a refresher course. I'd put her in a bedroom or something with her litterbox, and whenever I caught her using it, I'd reward her with a treat. And if you catch her trying to go outside the litterbox, you can get a little squirt bottle and squirt her with water.
Moth Feathers
Actually, inappropriate elimination and vomiting can be signs of serious issues going on.

Second, has she been to the vet to rule out any urinary tract problems? It's very common in cats, particularly when they are fed dry food, and if the problems aren't treated they can lead to much worse maladies.
Third, how many litterboxes are in the household? Sometimes cats will protect litterboxes from other cats in the household. There should be one litterbox per cat plus one extra, so in total you should have three litterboxes.
What kind of litterboxes are they and what litter do you use? How often are they scooped? Some cats don't like hooded litterboxes, and some can be picky on the litter. Litterboxes should be scooped at least once a day.

For the vomiting, are the cats free-fed? Freefeeding can contribute to that. Also, feeding a high quality diet should help significantly with the vomiting, if not eliminate it entirely. Many cats have allergies to the grains and other nasties put in low-quality cat foods.

Beat me to it. The only thing I would add, is if she is a long haired cat or an excessive groomer she may have issues bring up hairballs. Also, if she is having issues getting rid of the extra hair, that could be contributing to her inappropriate elimination habits. If she has a blockage or UTI as Moth mentioned, she will avoid the box as she associates it with the pain of attempting to go.

Also, make sure she isn't eating anything weird. I had trouble with one of my cats who eats plastic bags and then it hurts when it comes out the other end. Only solution is to be hyper-aware of where you leave the bags.

As for the number of litter boxes... depending on the cat you may need more boxes than Moth recomended. Two of our cats don't mix their pee and poo, so we need four boxes just for them, plus 3 more for the other two cats. Total of 7 boxes for 4 cats. Also we found for the ones that don't mix their locations, they liked to pee in uncovered boxes, but poop in hooded boxes.

Finally, what kind of litter is being used? Most cats hate the dusty-grossness of clay litter, try switching to corn or wheat litter. World's Best and Swheat Scoop are two brands I like. Plush they are flush-able is a plus.
Moth Feathers

What brand of high quality cat food would you suggest?

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Linara Draculina
Moth Feathers

What brand of high quality cat food would you suggest?

It depends on your budget. If there's financial difficulties, there are some less expensive brands out there like Blue Buffalo and Innova.
But, ideally if finances were not a concern, you would want a grainless food such as Taste of the Wild or Wellness Core; or, if you live in Canada, Orijen.
Henrika
Moth Feathers

Beat me to it. The only thing I would add, is if she is a long haired cat or an excessive groomer she may have issues bring up hairballs. Also, if she is having issues getting rid of the extra hair, that could be contributing to her inappropriate elimination habits. If she has a blockage or UTI as Moth mentioned, she will avoid the box as she associates it with the pain of attempting to go.

Also, make sure she isn't eating anything weird. I had trouble with one of my cats who eats plastic bags and then it hurts when it comes out the other end. Only solution is to be hyper-aware of where you leave the bags.

As for the number of litter boxes... depending on the cat you may need more boxes than Moth recomended. Two of our cats don't mix their pee and poo, so we need four boxes just for them, plus 3 more for the other two cats. Total of 7 boxes for 4 cats. Also we found for the ones that don't mix their locations, they liked to pee in uncovered boxes, but poop in hooded boxes.

Finally, what kind of litter is being used? Most cats hate the dusty-grossness of clay litter, try switching to corn or wheat litter. World's Best and Swheat Scoop are two brands I like. Plush they are flush-able is a plus.

I use Swheat scoop. I'll try getting more litterboxes.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff