Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Hunter

hiysinphlay
Would you mind adding this ferret thread to your other informative thread links? Ferrety Ferrets Thanks! ^^

Also I got myself one little girl mouse ^^ she's supper adorable her name is Whiskey! I've had a couple of mishaps in getting her a pal and thus it's been delayed but hopefully on wed. when they get their new shipment in she'll have a little friend! :3
Here's Whiskey! She's so cute ^^
User Image

Added to the list 3nodding

I saw you talking about her in the Rats thread. She's adorable. I've always prefered spotty mice to solids heart
I'm going to suggest again that especially since this will be a different group of mice that you quarantine the new mice before introducing them. I've seen too much heartbreak because people don't want to quarantine.

Beloved Codger

11,725 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Invisibility 100
Hi, question about my mouse.

Yesterday I noticed he seems to be chewing on the plastic of his cage. I've given him wood chews; there are a couple in the cage, but he doesn't seem to want to go after them. Will it hurt him to continue chewing the plastic?

Aged Hunter

The Real Bright Eyes
Hi, question about my mouse.

Yesterday I noticed he seems to be chewing on the plastic of his cage. I've given him wood chews; there are a couple in the cage, but he doesn't seem to want to go after them. Will it hurt him to continue chewing the plastic?

Possibly.
What type of cage do you have?
Where exactly on the cage is he chewing?
What other toys/enrichment do you have for him?
How often and how long do you handle him?

Answering these will give me more info with which to give more informed/better advice.

Beloved Codger

11,725 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Invisibility 100
I'm not at home right now so unfortunately I can't look at the materials on the cage. But basically the bottom is plastic with the cage on top. He's chewing on these little round things on the bottom (I think they're different areas for me to put his food bowl in, but generally I put bedding on top of them).

I have a toilet paper roll, a wheel, those two chews I mentioned, and paper towels/tissues in there. I usually only handle him for a couple minutes at a time a couple times a day because he seems to just want to hide a lot of the time, so I try not to stress him out too much.

I also have a mouse ball, but he tends to poop in it at first out of nervousness and I don't want him to run around in poop for too long so I take him out pretty quickly.

He did have a male companion in there (I didn't read up on males enough at first) and at first everything was fine. But after a week the other one started bullying this one so I had to get rid of him.

Aged Hunter

The Real Bright Eyes
I'm not at home right now so unfortunately I can't look at the materials on the cage. But basically the bottom is plastic with the cage on top. He's chewing on these little round things on the bottom (I think they're different areas for me to put his food bowl in, but generally I put bedding on top of them).
Do you know the demensions of the cage? How much floor space he has?
So he's chewing on a bowl holder not where the bars meet the cage?

The Real Bright Eyes
I have a toilet paper roll, a wheel, those two chews I mentioned, and paper towels/tissues in there. I usually only handle him for a couple minutes at a time a couple times a day because he seems to just want to hide a lot of the time, so I try not to stress him out too much.

What type of wheel? How often does he use it?
Do you have any other hides? What type of bedding do you use?

The Real Bright Eyes
I also have a mouse ball, but he tends to poop in it at first out of nervousness and I don't want him to run around in poop for too long so I take him out pretty quickly.

Ugh I hate those things stressed Though they can be nice as a hide if you just put it in the cage without the lid.

The Real Bright Eyes
He did have a male companion in there (I didn't read up on males enough at first) and at first everything was fine. But after a week the other one started bullying this one so I had to get rid of him.

One of the reasons I made this thread was so that others would have the information available. Unfortunately most pet stores and their staff don't seem to care about mice or what happens to them, so they don't give people the right information to care for them.
Shearaha

I saw you talking about her in the Rats thread. She's adorable. I've always prefered spotty mice to solids heart
I'm going to suggest again that especially since this will be a different group of mice that you quarantine the new mice before introducing them. I've seen too much heartbreak because people don't want to quarantine.

I actually don't have any extra cages for a quarantine right now =( Not till I get my new rat cage I'm pretty much stuck cage wise, or I really would. I was advised to get her a new friend asap and so I've really been trying. I seem to be having rotten luck with mice T-T

Would you advise against getting the new mice till my cage setup is more permanent? May be over a month. I also wouldn't be able to redeem my 15 day guarantee for the last mouse if I did that.

Aged Hunter

hiysinphlay
Shearaha

I actually don't have any extra cages for a quarantine right now =( Not till I get my new rat cage I'm pretty much stuck cage wise, or I really would. I was advised to get her a new friend asap and so I've really been trying. I seem to be having rotten luck with mice T-T

Would you advise against getting the new mice till my cage setup is more permanent? May be over a month. I also wouldn't be able to redeem my 15 day guarantee for the last mouse if I did that.

What I tell people who have a single female and don't have the space for quarantine at the time is this.
As long as she's getting plenty of interaction from you. And has plenty of things to occupy her in her cage. And isn't showing signs of depression then it's OK to wait until you can do things right.

Now if she starts moping around or not grooming then get her a friend ASAP. But good health is more important if they seem to be doing OK emotionally in the time being. The sooner you get her friends the better, but you don't want her to get sick or hurt because you rushed things.
Shearaha

What I tell people who have a single female and don't have the space for quarantine at the time is this.
As long as she's getting plenty of interaction from you. And has plenty of things to occupy her in her cage. And isn't showing signs of depression then it's OK to wait until you can do things right.

Now if she starts moping around or not grooming then get her a friend ASAP. But good health is more important if they seem to be doing OK emotionally in the time being. The sooner you get her friends the better, but you don't want her to get sick or hurt because you rushed things.

Well she doesn't get a lot of interaction with me I only hold her for a min or two a day, because she doesn't quite trust me, also she has this nasty habbit of chewing on me that makes me more reluctant to hold her. But she does have quite a few things in her 10g 3 different hides made of wood one of which is also meant to be a chew, a toilet paper roll and a cardboard ring thing (not sure how to describe it.) She doesn't seem depressed right now she did at first but now she's as lively as ever.

Aged Hunter

hiysinphlay

Well she doesn't get a lot of interaction with me I only hold her for a min or two a day, because she doesn't quite trust me, also she has this nasty habbit of chewing on me that makes me more reluctant to hold her. But she does have quite a few things in her 10g 3 different hides made of wood one of which is also meant to be a chew, a toilet paper roll and a cardboard ring thing (not sure how to describe it.) She doesn't seem depressed right now she did at first but now she's as lively as ever.

Sounds like she could wait a bit for some friends.

How are you taking her out? And what are you doing with her while you have her out? There may be something you could do differently to change the nibbling habit.
Shearaha
hiysinphlay

Sounds like she could wait a bit for some friends.

How are you taking her out? And what are you doing with her while you have her out? There may be something you could do differently to change the nibbling habit.

Okay I'll wait then, I wouldn't want to risk Whiskey's health o:

Either I scoop her up with a cupped hand or I let her wonder onto my hand but I can only do that if she's perched on her water bottle or else she'll try to eat me again sweatdrop
So far when she's out all I've been doing is holding her, and she suddenly start chewing on my hand like it's a snack ;w; It doesn't hurt, just a small pinch, but she also doesn't stop like my rats do with then taste test so I worry if I don't put her down she'll get stronger eventually draw blood.

Aged Hunter

hiysinphlay

Okay I'll wait then, I wouldn't want to risk Whiskey's health o:

Either I scoop her up with a cupped hand or I let her wonder onto my hand but I can only do that if she's perched on her water bottle or else she'll try to eat me again sweatdrop
So far when she's out all I've been doing is holding her, and she suddenly start chewing on my hand like it's a snack ;w; It doesn't hurt, just a small pinch, but she also doesn't stop like my rats do with then taste test so I worry if I don't put her down she'll get stronger eventually draw blood.

Do you wash your hands immediately before picking her up? What kind of hand soap do you use? Is it scented?

Beloved Codger

11,725 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Invisibility 100
Yeah it's the bowl holders. I haven't noticed any bite marks where the bars meet the cage. Hopefully my internet will be working just fine when I get home and I can tell you the dimensions. It's supposed to be a hamster cage for one hamster (not sure if that helps).

This is the bedding I use: here

Plus I tear up some newspaper and kind of mix it in so he has a variety. He usually runs on the wheel late at night, so I'm not sure how long he does. It's a wire mesh wheel: here. I did have a plastic one that he could hide under more easily, but it made a lot of noise.

I guess I could put the mouse ball in the cage as a place for him to sleep, but there isn't a ton of room left as it is. I was thinking of getting him a bigger one but right now that's not possible (not enough moolah at present).

Thanks for the help btw. I will likely post of picture of him later. biggrin

Aged Hunter

The Real Bright Eyes
Yeah it's the bowl holders. I haven't noticed any bite marks where the bars meet the cage. Hopefully my internet will be working just fine when I get home and I can tell you the dimensions. It's supposed to be a hamster cage for one hamster (not sure if that helps).

This is the bedding I use: here

Plus I tear up some newspaper and kind of mix it in so he has a variety. He usually runs on the wheel late at night, so I'm not sure how long he does. It's a wire mesh wheel: here. I did have a plastic one that he could hide under more easily, but it made a lot of noise.

I guess I could put the mouse ball in the cage as a place for him to sleep, but there isn't a ton of room left as it is. I was thinking of getting him a bigger one but right now that's not possible (not enough moolah at present).

Thanks for the help btw. I will likely post of picture of him later. biggrin

Hmm, in that case it might be easiest to use an exacto knife and cut off the holders. If there's nothing there to chew on then there's no issue.

Bedding is decent, though the gray stuff can be a little dusty, but the newspaper is good.

Wheel is also decent. I can absolutely understand too much noise. Did you see the saucer wheels on the first page? They're so quiet. Unless the mice shift them too close to the side of the cage you can't even hear them.

Take a look at the cage types on the first page. The bin cages are really cheap and pretty easy to make if your even slightly crafty wink
Shearaha

Do you wash your hands immediately before picking her up? What kind of hand soap do you use? Is it scented?

Yes I always do, it is scented coconut if I remember right. You think that's it? o.o I never really considered that(guess I'm too used to my rats realizing I'm not food after one try )

Aged Hunter

hiysinphlay
Shearaha

Yes I always do, it is scented coconut if I remember right. You think that's it? o.o I never really considered that(guess I'm too used to my rats realizing I'm not food after one try )

It could be. I've always used unscented hand soap, or something that smells like anything other then fruit when I'm handling my mice. Baby wipes are nice too. Get you clean without getting you wet and they don't smell like anything mice might like to eat. Give either of those a try and see if you get different results.

One thing to try if that doesn't work is to gently, GENTLY, blow at her nose. They don't like this and will stop whatever they're doing at the time. They will eventually associate the two together and stop nibbling. I don't like to do this myself. It works when done correctly and should always be a last option. It's positive punishment and I always prefer to use positive/negative reinforcement.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff