Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Hunter

Yeah, even if you're watching for the moult you won't see it unless something goes wrong. Usually you'll see it in young mice as they do it around weaning age and if they're weaned a little early, or have other stresses during that time they're partially bald for a little while. Some hair comes in, just not all of it.

The best thing I've found for males is to not fully clean their cage. I know it sounds bad, but leaving something dirty with their scent all over it makes them less inclined to go mark the whole place up again. Since you have multiple houses and toys I'd leave one toy in each time and rotate which ones you do clean. That way everything still gets cleaned on a regular basis, but the boys don't mark as much.

What are you feeding your mice? And do you have pics? There's a difference between healthy fat and chubby.

I can see that working for 4 males. For whatever reason fighting seems to be lessened when they don't have enough space to set up their own territories. Then again I kept 2 males who were very good friends in a 20g long (incidentally my favorite size for keeping groups of mice)

When I had mine I used a mixture of Aspen, Carefresh, Shredded paper (junk mail is free, just don't use the shiny stuff) and Straw. My girls built amazing tunnels with all that stuff and my boys built some intricate nests.

I was very lucky to have had the chance to meet Beau. Unfortunately he had health problems I couldn't afford to take care of (damn college and low paying job) so I had to give him up. My vet office was kind enough to take him, give him the life saving surgery he needed and they adopted him out to a loving family that just adores him and can afford to take care of his issues should they crop up again.
I've been considering getting mice.

I'd probably just get a male because I have three rats that are a handful.

Would the presence of the mouse upset my rats, or vice versa?

Aged Hunter

Havenex

I had both rats and mice at the same time. 3 of my boy mouse cages were kept on top of my rat cage (2 females) I never noticed any stress signs from the mice or the rats. One thing to remember though is that wild rats often eat mice so there can be stress on the mouses part. But so long as you don't have them out at the same time and thoroughly wash your hands between handling the mouse and the rats, or just handle the mouse first, you shouldn't cause your mouse any undue stress.

Most domestic mice have never met a rat and so shouldn't know that the scent of rat means danger. If the association isn't there, then there isn't any fear.

Also if you purchase a mouse that is already housed near rats then they shouldn't have any issues with smelling your rats in the same room.

So long as you still have the same amount of time to spend with your rats I doubt they will be adversely effected by your new mouse.

Single males do require more one on one time then a trio of females. You will have to be his entire social group, much like if you had a single rat. Unfortunately most males can not be kept in groups. Though if you check petfinder I've seen an increase in the number of neutered male mice available. Neutered males can be kept with females without the risk of unintended litters, and they are much happier for it.
Shearaha
Havenex

I had both rats and mice at the same time. 3 of my boy mouse cages were kept on top of my rat cage (2 females) I never noticed any stress signs from the mice or the rats. One thing to remember though is that wild rats often eat mice so there can be stress on the mouses part. But so long as you don't have them out at the same time and thoroughly wash your hands between handling the mouse and the rats, or just handle the mouse first, you shouldn't cause your mouse any undue stress.

Most domestic mice have never met a rat and so shouldn't know that the scent of rat means danger. If the association isn't there, then there isn't any fear.

Also if you purchase a mouse that is already housed near rats then they shouldn't have any issues with smelling your rats in the same room.

So long as you still have the same amount of time to spend with your rats I doubt they will be adversely effected by your new mouse.

Single males do require more one on one time then a trio of females. You will have to be his entire social group, much like if you had a single rat. Unfortunately most males can not be kept in groups. Though if you check petfinder I've seen an increase in the number of neutered male mice available. Neutered males can be kept with females without the risk of unintended litters, and they are much happier for it.

Great (:

I won't be getting one for quite some time, if at all because I need a job first, but I will definitely frequent this thread and learn more.

I'll probably just end up taking a mouse in from kijiji [It's like Craigslist, but for Canadians] that needs to be re-homed.

Aged Hunter

Havenex
Great (:

I won't be getting one for quite some time, if at all because I need a job first, but I will definitely frequent this thread and learn more.

I'll probably just end up taking a mouse in from kijiji [It's like Craigslist, but for Canadians] that needs to be re-homed.

I always advocate a rescue or rehome over a purchase 3nodding
There are a lot of great mice out there who need someone to realize just how special they are.

Blessed Prophet

So, on some spur of the moment burst of irrational sympathy, I saved a house mouse from my cat a couple of weeks ago. sweatdrop His leg was injured, so I kept him and fed him for a few days. He actually regained movement of his leg and I released him out in a field on the other side of our property, and am hoping that he won't come back in the house. After that I had an empty aquarium and nothing to put it, so I got to thinking.

That's what got me interested in owning pet mice. I've talked to mouse and rat owners and have heard a lot of great things about them, which further fueled the idea. I did my research, got the accessories together, and then went to the pet store and bought a feeder mouse. I know they're the result of random breeding and can be prone to health problems, but the pet store I go to keeps them in clean and appropriate, if a little crowded, conditions, so I don't have many doubts about his overall health. He's bright and active and doesn't have any visible discharge from his nose or eyes, and he doesn't chatter. I don't think I've heard him squeak once since I brought him home, in fact. And in case you already know and are worrying, yes I have snakes. No he will -not- be food under any circumstance.

Anyway, so far he's been an absolutely wonderful pet. In only a few days he's gotten used to me enough to actively want to walk into my hand instead of me having to pick him up. I can even see his demeanor change when I walk into the room. I know that mice are social, and single males need more one-on-one time than say, a pair of females, so I do spend as much time as I can with him. I made him a fleece lined pocket for him to ride in around my neck so he can go pretty much anywhere I do. He's only really alone when I'm asleep or out of the house, as I'm not comfortable taking him places yet.

My question is this: how do I get him to stop peeing on me? It's the one thing I didn't anticipate, and I've done some more research, but can't find anything definitive. sweatdrop

I'm pretty sure he's scent marking. When I first got him, it used to be that he would pee and poo in both my hands without any regard, but I've noticed in the past couple of days that he generally only poos when he's in his tank/in his little pocket around my neck. So far he's peed on the collar of my shirt and once in the palm of my hand. I'm wondering if there's anyway to prevent or discourage this or if it's just an inevitable part of owning a male mouse? If so, then I can deal with it. I'm not gonna flip out and give him away or anything. I'm just curious.
Sorry I haven't gotten around to posting pictures, I left my memory card (And it continues to sit there day after day until I remember to take it) at work after taking pictures of the pets we have there to update the website, and haven't even gotten to do that xD
So, had to dig up my other one. Here are pictures! (I did have pink bedding, but, since they're boys I mix blue and white now)

Here is what it was before: (About a day after I got the saucer) xxXxx

Here it is now: xxXxxX

This is just to show you what sort of cage top I have xxxxxXXxx

Sorry the new pics are sorta cruddy, it isn't the same camera I used as before. =/

Anyhow, they're eating Mazuri Lab Blocks. Same as my Rats, eat, actually. It -is- 6F, but I also do feed them treats. .-. Maybe I should lessen my treat feeding? I feed feed Snix Snacks Treats and Shape Fuls. This is Snix Snacks.

Snix Snacks is once a week I give them about a pinch of what's in the bag (And I take one of the yogurt pieces and break it into 4 pieces) Shapefuls is one piece per mouse a day.

Here is Shapefuls, I also gave them another flavor as well besides Apple. If I still had the bag, I could tell you, but I tossed it out and put everything in ziplocks to keep longer. xD
Other than that, i've given them some dried papaya and dried banana off and on.

I put about 4 blocks on each house and once all the blocks are off their houses, I put more in the tank. I try not to mess up their nests too much so I try not to dig around. I now only have 3 houses in there, and 2 toilet paper tubes, and they use their saucer as a house too.Not sure it's meant for that, but, lol they go under that if they feel the need.

I haven't washed their houses yet, actually. I planned to do that next time instead and switch the tubes, and not wash the ABC block that's in there. Their wheel gets washed about every 3 days due to it getting messy very quickly. It already needs it again, as seen in the picture. I also added vanilla this last cage cleaning, but, the smell didn't go down too much. =/ I actually cleaned it this last Wednesday.

I will definitely be giving them junk mail though. xD Normally my rats get it all but now they can share with the mice smile

I also haven't given them fresh veges yet, though. We literally haven't had any in the house for a while, not even fruits. =/ Normally we usually do, so sadly everyone is going without a variety diet D:
Okay so, newest cute Mousey action. xD They took their toilet paper roll and its entirely in their house now. Not sure how, not sure at all. Nor am I sure when they did it. xD Fast little workers they are.

Aged Hunter

Sorry I haven't been here. Work is overbooked and my dog has been really sick so most of my off work hours are taken up with him. Once things settle down I'll be back to answer questions and add my 2 cents to the mix again.

5,250 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
I'm so excited, I feel like a little school girl again.
Loool.

Anyway, I have finally decided I would love to own mice again. After a lot of thinking, I can't deny how much I loved them as pets.
And hopefully with picking up more work hours, I will be able to afford everything I want to do.

I have SO many plans in my mind, I don't remember exactly how I got my home made cages to work when I was younger but the accidental litter made me need more space to separate sexes.
I eventually had to upgrade from my two commercial cages to using multiple bins connected by tubes.
Sadly the papa mouse fought the baby boys when they got a bit bigger sad and he had to be kept alone.
I want to do the bins again, and I was thinking of getting taller large bins (if I can find) but what I can't remember is if the mice were able to climb that high to get out.. I'm putting a cover on no matter what but I want to be extra careful they wont attempt getting up there.

I feel a little more inexperienced now, and would love to try keeping males together but do not know if I get them from the same tank in pet stores (if I can't find any respectable breeders, which here for mice, is harder sadly.) I just don't want them to fight, I hate leaving a pet alone whether it's for a day or a night's sleep.
So I was wondering I would have a better chance of less fighting that way? 2-3 males from the same tank.
I also am getting up to 6 females. From my experience my girls loved having more than just one friend about, and I know I can handle it.

Now, I am going to be so picky and careful to check over the mice. I am not having accident babies again. I mean, it was absolutely the most beautiful thing watching them grow up and open their eyes, but no way am I dealing with too many babies and tired mamas aha.
I have to hold them, check them over, but I was wondering if there is anything if I notice I should say no to the mouse?
I will be looking over online things, researching, building and setting up cages first, etc, but I want to hear from current owners, as it's been awhile for me.

And any tips or reminders of stuff I may have forgotten, I remember a lot, and know what to do right, compared to what I have done wrong. aha.

Aged Hunter

As i said on the first page and said to Morphine Kiss many times I do not advocated keeping males in groups. You would be much better off just getting the females you're already planning. I have some examples of bin cages on the first page, but a really easy way to make them is to get the big storage bins and modify them with some wire mesh and metal plates. There's a description of how to do it somewhere, I think it may be on the first page as well.
s3x k1tty
I am really lucky i'm able to keep my males together. They all came from the same place and came in at the same time. I still have to keep an eye on them and check daily for signs of fighting or too much dominance.

4,150 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
BTW I think your thread is great but I have a few questions about my two baby boys (they are not really baby's). I am not unexperinced it's just diffrent sources say diffrent things so thats why im typing it here for lots of opions. Here are my questions:
*One of my mice bit me a lot yesterday ( I think I might of scared him because he was being very spacey and I thought he was dead but he wasn't) but today I gave him some oats as treat and he was fine I am very confused?
* I got a feeder named Percy (he is the one who bit me) and then 3 monthes after that I got another feeder named Roo. I know you said you do not recommend it but i want hem to have a good enriching life. I am convinced I can because some websites say it is possible. They are both boys is there any way that you suggest to introduce them without having to nueter them (to risky)?
*Also i need a check-up for them but I have never had one how much are they on average?
*What is the best food for them? I am currently feeding them carefresh complete but that had corn in it (possibly harmful) which makes me wonder how good nutritionally there food is.
* Is this cage ok because Roo lives in it: http://www.hartz.com/Hartz_Products/Small_Animal_Products/Habitat/Hamsters/3270083655_hartz_play_city_extreme_home.aspx
* Percy lives in a plastic cage but it is a little boring so is this cage ok:
http://www.csnstores.com/YML-H3030BL-H3030PK-YML1092.html
That's about it but this thread is really helpful. biggrin

Aged Hunter

kilakoala
BTW I think your thread is great but I have a few questions about my two baby boys (they are not really baby's). I am not unexperinced it's just diffrent sources say diffrent things so thats why im typing it here for lots of opions. Here are my questions:
*One of my mice bit me a lot yesterday ( I think I might of scared him because he was being very spacey and I thought he was dead but he wasn't) but today I gave him some oats as treat and he was fine I am very confused?

If he was disoriented when you handled him he may well have bit you because he didn't recognize you, or he may have just wanted to be left alone. If you want to handle your mice and they're sleeping or dozy gently wake them up before handling.
Another thing may have been if you were handling your other male before him. If you smelled like another male he may well have been agressing you because of that. I had it happen to me before with one of my sweetest males, so it's not out of range of options. Make sure you always wash your hands between handling males.

kilakoala
* I got a feeder named Percy (he is the one who bit me) and then 3 monthes after that I got another feeder named Roo. I know you said you do not recommend it but i want hem to have a good enriching life. I am convinced I can because some websites say it is possible. They are both boys is there any way that you suggest to introduce them without having to nueter them (to risky)?

Even neutered males shouldn't be kept together. A neutered male is fine to keep with a few females, but males should not be kept together.

The ONLY way to attempt to keep males together is to get a pair of siblings, or a pair from the same colony at the same time when they're the same age. They need to be kept together at all times. And even then it's not a guarantee. They need daily exams for wounds and general health. It is not something to be attempted by a novice mouse keeper.

kilakoala
*Also i need a check-up for them but I have never had one how much are they on average?

Couldn't tell you. Average here is $25-45. It's a wide range, but there's quality to take into account as well and price doesn't guarantee quality.

kilakoala
*What is the best food for them? I am currently feeding them carefresh complete but that had corn in it (possibly harmful) which makes me wonder how good nutritionally there food is.

I fed a basic Lab Block for rats and mice supplemented with fresh veggies and some seeds.

kilakoala
* Is this cage ok because Roo lives in it: http://www.hartz.com/Hartz_Products/Small_Animal_Products/Habitat/Hamsters/3270083655_hartz_play_city_extreme_home.aspx
* Percy lives in a plastic cage but it is a little boring so is this cage ok:
http://www.csnstores.com/YML-H3030BL-H3030PK-YML1092.html
That's about it but this thread is really helpful. biggrin

It's OK for now, but really only big enough for a single mouse. As a rule I don't like these type of cages. I find them difficult to clean and lacking in floor space and ventilation. A 10g aquarium with a secure wire mesh top is easy to clean, has ample floor space and excellent ventilation.

Would you mind adding this ferret thread to your other informative thread links? Ferrety Ferrets Thanks! ^^

Also I got myself one little girl mouse ^^ she's supper adorable her name is Whiskey! I've had a couple of mishaps in getting her a pal and thus it's been delayed but hopefully on wed. when they get their new shipment in she'll have a little friend! :3
Here's Whiskey! She's so cute ^^
User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas