Welcome to Gaia! ::

Well I definitely have plenty of extra cages in the event something bad were to go wrong. We're constantly upgrading or buying things for other pets who've passed on now. Just won't be a tank. I suppose my main reason for putting them in a tank was to avoid Chewing on my other cages, because I have a billion hamster cages (Large ones, and some small too I suppose) But yeah, in event something happens we've got another tank I just have to pick up from my parents' old house that's 29 gallon. intention for that is to use for breeding, and then i'd have an extra 10 gallon.

I didn't know they could have spray millet, though, I figured that was just some annoying bird thing I hated putting up all the time at work. xD

With Domino and Stubbs already being hurt, I haven't noticed anything new or broken open. But, how long will it take for one to heal? I know with rats, my boy Stimpy got a nasty scab on him that i'm still oblivious about, but it healed within a day. I gave him a bath the day I noticed it and kept him away from his pals a while (I needed to do so anyhow, as I had him at work with me) and then put him back a bit later.

I know it's going to sound irresponsible of me but i'm going to keep the 4 together for now--as i'm not sure i'll be keeping those other 2 at the moment. So far they've done well, but, that's just 2 nights for Stubbs and Domino and one night for the other 2 I realize.

Aged Hunter

Morphine Kiss
Well I definitely have plenty of extra cages in the event something bad were to go wrong. We're constantly upgrading or buying things for other pets who've passed on now. Just won't be a tank. I suppose my main reason for putting them in a tank was to avoid Chewing on my other cages, because I have a billion hamster cages (Large ones, and some small too I suppose) But yeah, in event something happens we've got another tank I just have to pick up from my parents' old house that's 29 gallon. intention for that is to use for breeding, and then i'd have an extra 10 gallon.

I thought you would have extras, just wanted to make sure. Boys can be tough, but they're so worth it.

Morphine Kiss
I didn't know they could have spray millet, though, I figured that was just some annoying bird thing I hated putting up all the time at work. xD

Yup they love the stuff. Mine even used to incorporate the stems into their nests once they finished with it. Just remember that it's not all that nutritious and to give small amounts.

Morphine Kiss
With Domino and Stubbs already being hurt, I haven't noticed anything new or broken open. But, how long will it take for one to heal? I know with rats, my boy Stimpy got a nasty scab on him that i'm still oblivious about, but it healed within a day. I gave him a bath the day I noticed it and kept him away from his pals a while (I needed to do so anyhow, as I had him at work with me) and then put him back a bit later.

I've seen a couple of days to a couple of weeks. Depending on how badly wounded they are they may also develop scar tissue and the hair won't grow back, or it will grow back in white. If you could post pics of the wounds I might be able to give a better estimate.

Morphine Kiss
I know it's going to sound irresponsible of me but i'm going to keep the 4 together for now--as i'm not sure i'll be keeping those other 2 at the moment. So far they've done well, but, that's just 2 nights for Stubbs and Domino and one night for the other 2 I realize.

I can't stop you from doing it, but I wanted to make sure that you know the risks with keeping boys together. When it works it works, but when it doesn't it can be heartbreaking.
This is weird flip flopping between the guild and here. xD I did a reply in the guild and updated with new pictures of how I arranged the cage, new wheel, different houses.

I hope poor little Stubbs' fur grows in, he's got it hard enough only having 3 legs. .-.
How common is it for them to be born like that? It's the first time that JoAnne, my boss, has gotten a 3 legged mouse and she's been breeding for a few years now. She doesn't inbreed them, either.
So...Domino picked another fight today. Nothing serious but Domino had a tiny trace of blood around his eye, no one else was hurt.

I guess i'm going to take him to the pet shop tomorrow to be sold as a PET...
We have um, actual cages i've been setting up and putting pets in to be sold with the cage...so i'm going to see about doing that for him. I really really feel bad about this though. but I can't risk this, he's the only one picking fights, I watched him do it both times.

Unless, I mean if I get a reply before I head to work tomorrow, unless it really takes a bit for them to establish hierarchy? Our rats didn't take any time at all for it.
Shearaha

Thanks. The info helped a lot. They were all climbing on me. Haha, so cute.

Aged Hunter

Morphine Kiss
So...Domino picked another fight today. Nothing serious but Domino had a tiny trace of blood around his eye, no one else was hurt.

We have um, actual cages i've been setting up and putting pets in to be sold with the cage...so i'm going to see about doing that for him. I really really feel bad about this though. but I can't risk this, he's the only one picking fights, I watched him do it both times.

Unless, I mean if I get a reply before I head to work tomorrow, unless it really takes a bit for them to establish hierarchy? Our rats didn't take any time at all for it.

Sometimes removing the aggressor from a group will work and the rest will settle down and be fine. I hope that Domino finds someone who wants to give him a good home and will spend the time he needs with him.

EDIT: I almost forgot to answer about the 3 legs thing. I've seen mice like that where the mother partly canabalized them at a very young age (1-4 days) and then the skin healed over. The fact that there appears to be proper bone in there is what lead me to that conclusion.

Is your boss supplementing the breeder females? Adding protein to their diet can cut down on canabalisim especially if they're being bred back to back.

Aged Hunter

dr zoti
Shearaha

Thanks. The info helped a lot. They were all climbing on me. Haha, so cute.

Glad I could help biggrin
Shearaha
Morphine Kiss

Sometimes removing the aggressor from a group will work and the rest will settle down and be fine. I hope that Domino finds someone who wants to give him a good home and will spend the time he needs with him.

EDIT: I almost forgot to answer about the 3 legs thing. I've seen mice like that where the mother partly canabalized them at a very young age (1-4 days) and then the skin healed over. The fact that there appears to be proper bone in there is what lead me to that conclusion.

Is your boss supplementing the breeder females? Adding protein to their diet can cut down on canabalisim especially if they're being bred back to back.

She feeds 9F Mazuri to them, and some other stuff as well. Corn, maybe? Not sure if that's good for them, perhaps input on Corn for mice?

So far, I have Domino just separated. He's in a fancy cage because my extra tank was taken by my Robo Hamster at the time. xD
Anyhow, I just feel so awful for Domino. He just doesn't like to get along. I want to give it one more try under CLOSE supervision (I have the next 2 days off work) And if that doesn't work, i'll get him all healed up, and take him to the pet shop and set him up in a cage and sell him with a cage.

We get a lot of people in who like mice for pets thankfully.
So I know there are differences in mice and rats.
I just don't understand these little guys xD
Maybe its how they (Yet, I know this takes a while when I get a new pet) They don't have a personality at the moment.

Anyhow, when dealing with rats and introductions (In fact, even hamsters, both dwarf or Syrian) the introduction process isn't so complicated. Reading up a bit I am trying this one more time with Domino and all. Seems that people say you can seperate them for a bit and then put them back together. Anyhow, which is basically what I did last night.

So, there's absolutely no fighting. Everyone's cuddling except for Simon who's currently nibbling some food. Anyhow, Domino had no problems putting him back in.

I guess the fights aren't extremely bad. I guess i'm just waaay over protective of Stubbs, also, but I know I have to be because Mice are just the type to kill eachother easily. D:
There are no serious injuries, the only thing yesterday was Domino's eye had a little blood on it but I saw no visible scrapes, cuts, anything. Just, a tiny bit of blood, tiny. And a little below the eye. He groomed it away of course.

Sorry i'm rambling here but i'm throwing up my thoughts. xD

I read somewhere it might be easier if I switch them into a larger tank?

Somewhere else said that they should only be separated if its MAJOR fighting, like, noticeable cuts, scrapes, etc;.

So am I jumping the gun?
Am I doing the right thing?

I'm keeping such a close eye on them D:

I actually have the tank on my bed right now. xDD

Aged Hunter

Morphine Kiss
She feeds 9F Mazuri to them, and some other stuff as well. Corn, maybe? Not sure if that's good for them, perhaps input on Corn for mice?

So far, I have Domino just separated. He's in a fancy cage because my extra tank was taken by my Robo Hamster at the time. xD
Anyhow, I just feel so awful for Domino. He just doesn't like to get along. I want to give it one more try under CLOSE supervision (I have the next 2 days off work) And if that doesn't work, i'll get him all healed up, and take him to the pet shop and set him up in a cage and sell him with a cage.

We get a lot of people in who like mice for pets thankfully.

Corn is really not all that good for mice. They love it, but they also can develop allergies to it. She may want to try giving her breeders a high quality puppy food as a supplement. I also know people who give unseasoned cooked chicken that goes over really well. Meal worms are also an excellent supplement for pregnant and nursing moms.

Morphine Kiss
So I know there are differences in mice and rats.
I just don't understand these little guys xD
Maybe its how they (Yet, I know this takes a while when I get a new pet) They don't have a personality at the moment.

Anyhow, when dealing with rats and introductions (In fact, even hamsters, both dwarf or Syrian) the introduction process isn't so complicated. Reading up a bit I am trying this one more time with Domino and all. Seems that people say you can seperate them for a bit and then put them back together. Anyhow, which is basically what I did last night.

So, there's absolutely no fighting. Everyone's cuddling except for Simon who's currently nibbling some food. Anyhow, Domino had no problems putting him back in.

I guess the fights aren't extremely bad. I guess i'm just waaay over protective of Stubbs, also, but I know I have to be because Mice are just the type to kill eachother easily. D:
There are no serious injuries, the only thing yesterday was Domino's eye had a little blood on it but I saw no visible scrapes, cuts, anything. Just, a tiny bit of blood, tiny. And a little below the eye. He groomed it away of course.

Sorry i'm rambling here but i'm throwing up my thoughts. xD

I read somewhere it might be easier if I switch them into a larger tank?

Somewhere else said that they should only be separated if its MAJOR fighting, like, noticeable cuts, scrapes, etc;.

So am I jumping the gun?
Am I doing the right thing?

I'm keeping such a close eye on them D:

I actually have the tank on my bed right now. xDD

Pernonally I wouldn't try putting them back together, but again that's your choice.

My issue with only separating for MAJOR fighting is that I've seen low-grade nearly unnoticeable fighting that was left alone that resulted in the victim sloughing the skin from his back because the constant small wounds cut off the blood flow to the skin. It's not pretty and at that point the best thing to do is euthanize the victim. Personally I feel that any fighting is cause for permanent separation.

As far as personality, you've had these little guys 3 or 4 days now right? They're also fairly young. So I'd expect them to take about a week to settle in before they really start showing their personality. Mice are also a bit more subtle then rats, so they also aren't as boisterous. You have to really take the time to get to know individuals before their personality starts to shine.
I'd say I got them...roughly...Wednesday or Thursday? I can't remember exactly now o_o

I will talk to her about the corn, though. I always wondered about that but didn't say much. So far the only incident i've had again is with my freaking Cat. If you're stalking the Pets Forum, or I can link you to it, check it out?

Basically I was just wondering if there's more things you can use to disinfect wounds. Cats have very dirty mouths and my Cat reopened my Domino's scab, as you may have seen in a picture, it was just sort of a little round spot on his back. So I cleaned it up with water on a Q-Tip and then dried it and put neosporin on it. I'm about to do it again but I was checking back here if anyone knew much as far as disinfectants.

Poor Dom went into sort of a shock, I guess you'd call it, because he didn't want to move, though no broken bones or such, stomach felt fine, and he's pottying normally. (Which is all my Vet would check for, they don't even have an X-Ray here x.< )

Upon calling a Vet they didn't say much--I suppose they look down upon mice as pets. x.< And I guess that's because they only cost 1.49. x.<

Anyhow, the whole story, sorta short, about my cat VS the mouse is in the thread. For the record, that cat in specific isn't suppose to be in this room.

Aged Hunter

The most you can do at home is exactly what you did. Clean the wound and apply Neosporin. keep a close eye on him and hope for the best.

I'll check out the other thread for more details.
So, i'm just updating you on my mice. <3

They all get along, I no longer see fights. I've seen a tussle, but just play like. All of their names are now, Domino, Stubbs, Garfield, and Simon. My husband named the orange and white one Garfield, I assume because he knows I like Garfield. He also named our Chinchilla Nermel after all xD

Anyhow, Domino has a scar on his back and i'm not sure if his fur will grow back, but, Stubbs has healed up and his fur is growing back. His only bother now is that he chews at his non existent leg (I'd call it Phantom Leg Syndrome, obviously I can't ask him if he feels like it's there though)

I worry about Domino though, he was the one the Kitty got ahold of. He's gotten extremely Fat. No problems running, walking, or any of that. Eats like a hog. (I keep about 3 or 4 blocks in there a day, sometimes a tad extra because the blocks aren't totally whole) So I hope it's not some health thing. they're all chunky, though. So he isn't just eating everyone's food either. He's just the fattest. xD

So, they're also very creative. o.o I keep toilet paper tubes in there for them, and they move them in front of their Igloos and make it so they have to go through the tunnel into the house. xD Love it. <3

They're all pretty friendly now too. Simon was skittish at first, but, he's coming around quite nicely.

I also recently realized that upon moving into our apartment, my mice are going to have to be away from everything. =/ I let 2 of my cats come into m room (Ones that stay in moms room for now) and they still have their prey drive. So, that leaves 2 being afraid, and 3 wanting to eat them. And only one brave enough to touch my rats--being the one that lunged after Domino.

Aged Hunter

Morphine Kiss
So, i'm just updating you on my mice. <3

They all get along, I no longer see fights. I've seen a tussle, but just play like. All of their names are now, Domino, Stubbs, Garfield, and Simon. My husband named the orange and white one Garfield, I assume because he knows I like Garfield. He also named our Chinchilla Nermel after all xD

Anyhow, Domino has a scar on his back and i'm not sure if his fur will grow back, but, Stubbs has healed up and his fur is growing back. His only bother now is that he chews at his non existent leg (I'd call it Phantom Leg Syndrome, obviously I can't ask him if he feels like it's there though)

Glad to hear all of your boys are getting along. I hope they continue to do to so.

Fur either grows back of it doesn't. From the pictures I saw I would expect it to grow back but it may take a while. Mice go through "molts" about every six months when they loose large amounts of fur and grow it all back. Unless they aren't getting their nutrition or they're heavily stressed you don't even notice.

So long as he's not self-mutilating he'll be fine. Did you get him a saucer yet?

Morphine Kiss
I worry about Domino though, he was the one the Kitty got ahold of. He's gotten extremely Fat. No problems running, walking, or any of that. Eats like a hog. (I keep about 3 or 4 blocks in there a day, sometimes a tad extra because the blocks aren't totally whole) So I hope it's not some health thing. they're all chunky, though. So he isn't just eating everyone's food either. He's just the fattest. xD

It's been 2 weeks since the cat bite right? It's possible he could have an abcess, but as long as he's active and eating well, not lethargic, he should be fine. Just keep a close eye. If it's an abcess it will burst eventully and then he'll need some medical care. If you're really worried a vet visit never hurts.

Morphine Kiss
So, they're also very creative. o.o I keep toilet paper tubes in there for them, and they move them in front of their Igloos and make it so they have to go through the tunnel into the house. xD Love it. <3

Told you they just needed to settle in wink The more stuff you give them to build with the more creative they get too.

Morphine Kiss
They're all pretty friendly now too. Simon was skittish at first, but, he's coming around quite nicely.

Taming can take some time, but the snuggles make it worth it in the end. Often the hardest to tame mice become the most loving once they realize they cn trust you.

Morphine Kiss
I also recently realized that upon moving into our apartment, my mice are going to have to be away from everything. =/ I let 2 of my cats come into m room (Ones that stay in moms room for now) and they still have their prey drive. So, that leaves 2 being afraid, and 3 wanting to eat them. And only one brave enough to touch my rats--being the one that lunged after Domino.

So long as you have a secure cage they sould be fine. I kept mine on a bookshelf so that the cats couldn't get into them and when I had the mice out playing the cats got put in the bedroom for a bit. It's easily manageable, you just have to remember to do it.

Honestly there's only been one cat in my life that I trusted around my mice. Beau was the sweetest, most loving cat. He warmed up to my mice and birds as soon as I brought him home. He slept curled around the critter trail that I had my single male at the time in (Martin was one of my first mice and I really didn't know what I was doing) Once my other cat managed to open the mouse cage and Beau stood overtop of Martin and wouldn't let her near him. When I took Martin out for playtime his favorite thing to do was to crawl through Beau's belly fur and Beau loved it too.

Havens I miss those two. There will never be ones like them again crying
Wow, I didn't know they moulted too! That's a pretty neat fact, I wouldn't have even thought to research, I probably wouldn't see it xD
Sometimes in the shop, we'll have a mouse who's sort of losing hair. Older mice, usually. But i'd say we see it do to malnutrition as we get over populated (We buy people's mice because tards think that breeding is a great thing to do in mass amounts, and then every 2 weeks we go take the mice to a large scale breeder who can take on a lot of mice. but...2 weeks can be a long time)

Yeah, I got a flying saucer! =D My boss gave it to me for free! I meant to tell you, it was about a couple days after I had first posted here. I will take a picture of their cage soon, I just messed it up because I was playing with them so their beautiful houses are in disarray and their stuff isn't as perfect as they had it. xD I want to start mixing my carefresh bedding colors. <3 Like, using pink and white or blue and pink...Something so it's not so vibrant in one color.

Anyhow, side note here, suggestions for keeping smell down? Mice to me have always had a very distinct smell. I am doing weekly cage cleanings, and I will admit I have not put vanilla in their water yet which is something i'll usually do with a smelly animal. (Hamsters, for instance)
So, besides vanilla, suggestions? The carefresh cut the smell in half as opposed to Aspen shavings and off brand carefresh.

Garfield is a bit chubbier than Domino, now, so i'm thinking that he and Dom are just fatties o.o;

And as for cage, they'll be kept in the 10 Gall Aquarium (Unless I happen to get a super nice apartment or luck changes and we get a house instead) that has a screen top lid on it. I will take a picture of the over all set up too for you so you can see my lid. Anyhow, I usually will keep books on top but these guys don't seem to be able to escape and well, if Kitty wanted up there Kitty would knock things over sad
But right now they stay on top of my computer desk. Probably will when we move, too, I like them on a computer desk.

I'm so jealous you had a kitty who got along. .-. My mr. baggsykins (also known as bagget) has turned into a tad bit of a grump lately and he was the only other cat I trusted around animals besides Chelow. He swatted at the rats last night (BUT it could have been him wanting the Ramen also, so I can't totally blame him yet) so now I have to be super careful with him. sad

They sounded like the perfect pair, though. <3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces