Welcome to Gaia! ::

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100

all ye behold the mighty mohawk kitty.
She was covered in matts, so I had no choice but to shave her (didn't have the money for a groomer or anything). She loved it. So I gave her a mohawk. Now she is mohawk kitty.

Also that wound is not from shaving

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Benevolent Hellraiser

I think no one is replying because this is horrible.
That wound looks horrible, and you did a horrible shave job. Not being mean, just honest, atleast finish the job so your cat can have some pride , sheeeesh.

Eloquent Gawker

Goddess Grimzi
That wound looks horrible, and you did a horrible shave job. Not being mean, just honest, atleast finish the job so your cat can have some pride , sheeeesh.

Yes, stress the cat out more so she can look pretty. rolleyes

I'm a professional groomer. Its my job to make dogs look nice, and I do a damned good job. I also shave my cat, and it is not my job to make her look nice- it is my job to keep her from being a greasy tangled hairball, and to keep her stress level down. I shave her down where she needs it, give her a bath, and call it good. Yes, she has fuzzies sticking out, and looks raggedy, but I don't care. Its not worth making her more upset so she can look nice.

Benevolent Hellraiser

Savage Destiny
Goddess Grimzi

I'm a professional groomer. Its my job to make dogs look nice, and I do a damned good job. I also shave my cat, and it is not my job to make her look nice- it is my job to keep her from being a greasy tangled hairball, and to keep her stress level down. I shave her down where she needs it, give her a bath, and call it good. Yes, she has fuzzies sticking out, and looks raggedy, but I don't care. Its not worth making her more upset so she can look nice.

I've had to shave my outdoor cat a couple times and he always seems more thankful than stressed when its over. I try to avoid shaving if I can, and use vitamin e oil to untangle as many of the mats as i can, and 80% of the time, it does a great job and it isnt harmful at all and wipes off without much effort. I think if your going to shave a cat, don't intentionally try to make it look funny, like giving it a mohawk.

Also, Cats to me seem to be very prideful and elegant (at least mine are) and dont react negatively to grooming, I guess its just how you raise the cat and what kind of tools your using. OR my cats are just unnaturally calm about that kind of stuff. They even like water.

Eloquent Gawker

Goddess Grimzi
Savage Destiny
Goddess Grimzi

I've had to shave my outdoor cat a couple times and he always seems more thankful than stressed when its over. I try to avoid shaving if I can, and use vitamin e oil to untangle as many of the mats as i can, and 80% of the time, it does a great job and it isnt harmful at all and wipes off without much effort. I think if your going to shave a cat, don't intentionally try to make it look funny, like giving it a mohawk.

Also, Cats to me seem to be very prideful and elegant (at least mine are) and dont react negatively to grooming, I guess its just how you raise the cat and what kind of tools your using. OR my cats are just unnaturally calm about that kind of stuff. They even like water.

My kitty handles it fairly well, but she still stresses out, especially for having her belly and armpits done. She looks ridiculous when she's done, with her flat round face (she's a Persian), go-go boots, and tufted tail, but she's more comfortable. That's all I care about. Who cares if Diru's cat has a mohawk, if she likes it? Really, why shave it if it didn't have matting anyway?

Let me tell you from experience that most cats are extremely averse to anything involving grooming. There's a reason most groomers don't do cats, and its because you get bitten, scratched, and generally mauled by stressed out kitties. I don't actually mind doing cats, but the shop I work for doesn't allow them.

Benevolent Hellraiser

Savage Destiny
Goddess Grimzi
Savage Destiny
Goddess Grimzi

My kitty handles it fairly well, but she still stresses out, especially for having her belly and armpits done. She looks ridiculous when she's done, with her flat round face (she's a Persian), go-go boots, and tufted tail, but she's more comfortable. That's all I care about. Who cares if Diru's cat has a mohawk, if she likes it? Really, why shave it if it didn't have matting anyway?

Let me tell you from experience that most cats are extremely averse to anything involving grooming. There's a reason most groomers don't do cats, and its because you get bitten, scratched, and generally mauled by stressed out kitties. I don't actually mind doing cats, but the shop I work for doesn't allow them.

I dont really care if she has a mohawk, it just seemed like the mohawk was something added not something necessary. I can understand cats freaking out at a groomers, dont they hook their leashes or collar up to a pole and shave then like sheep? Atleast, thats how ive seen it done a few places. If someone did that to me, Id claw at them too. rofl My cats have enjoys baths and such from a young age , which i know is rare, so I guess i just dont have that problem. -shrug-

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Goddess Grimzi
Savage Destiny
Goddess Grimzi
Savage Destiny
Goddess Grimzi

I dont really care if she has a mohawk, it just seemed like the mohawk was something added not something necessary. I can understand cats freaking out at a groomers, dont they hook their leashes or collar up to a pole and shave then like sheep? Atleast, thats how ive seen it done a few places. If someone did that to me, Id claw at them too. rofl My cats have enjoys baths and such from a young age , which i know is rare, so I guess i just dont have that problem. -shrug-

I admit this would be horrible if she didn't actually like being shaved. My cat is an absolute weirdo. She was perfectly content being shaved. In fact she layed there the whole time purring and kneading. I shaved her problem areas, and left her with a mohawk, because she didn't mind it, and that is not a problem area.

I'm not a groomer so I admit it's not perfect, but she doesn't care, either way. She's much HAPPIER now that she's shaved.
Ehh, that wound looks like it might have hurt like hell. O.o;

Mind if I asked what caused it?

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
JAT_gurl

Regrettably, me... When I realized I could not brush the matts out no matter what, I decided perhaps I should just cut them out. It didn't work...She didn't alert me when I cut her skin, so when I was done she had a wound. Quit cutting right then, that's for sure.
Decided it was best to shave her then.
However she doesn't notice that wound at all. Only when I go to take care of it. It's healing there. It looked worse. It's not honestly that deep, though.

I felt like a douche though for cutting her. I babied her like crazy after that and made sure to keep the wound s**c and span.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
I'm glad ika doesn't get mats...I don't know what i would do with her.

but i'm glad your kitty does mind It. I may have to invest in a soft muzzle for when I have to clip nails.... Ika will kill people for touching her paw.
iDiru
JAT_gurl

Regrettably, me... When I realized I could not brush the matts out no matter what, I decided perhaps I should just cut them out. It didn't work...She didn't alert me when I cut her skin, so when I was done she had a wound. Quit cutting right then, that's for sure.
Decided it was best to shave her then.
However she doesn't notice that wound at all. Only when I go to take care of it. It's healing there. It looked worse. It's not honestly that deep, though.

I felt like a douche though for cutting her. I babied her like crazy after that and made sure to keep the wound s**c and span.
Aaayyyy..I just cringed a little. Oh dear. x.x;; Bet you won't be makin' that mistake again.

Least it doesn't seem to be bothering her much. Good to hear you're keeping such a close eye on it, but make sure to go to the vet the moment signs of infection start to show up. Sometimes home remedies just aren't enough and they need to be put on antibacterials. That might actually be a good idea now depending what the vet says, if you have the money for it.

(Btw, I actually like that cut compared to what my cat used to get done. He was getting old and stopped grooming himself as much so he would mat quite easily and he would regularly get the lion cut. Every time I saw him I would burst out into gigglefits, much to my mother's dismay; she felt so embarressed for him. xD)

Eloquent Gawker

Goddess Grimzi

With dogs we use a loop attached to an arm on a table to keep them from leaping right off, which is dangerous. Can't really do that with cats though, as they tend to not stand or sit, but try and pancake themselves onto the table. They'd choke if we tried to hook them up to the arm.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff