Welcome to Gaia! ::

Clever Goat

So I recently got a bearded dragon and I've discovered he loves to poop right on his basking rock. I clean it up as soon as I notice it because it smells awful and I'd hate for him to run up into it and then drag it all over. I feel like I should be sterilizing the rock, but I don't know what to use that is safe for him.

I could - I guess - take the rock out and bleach it at night when it's his bed time?
Buuuut I'd rather it be something I could do quickly and not have to wait several hours, then wash the rock again and again to make sure I got rid of the chemical.

Are there any non-toxic cleaners or better yet, any natural cleaners I could use?

While we're here, is it normal for him to be fighting his reflection in his tank?

CarapaxtotheMax's Partner

Dapper Sex Symbol

I like to use chlorhexidine solution to wash things for my snake's enclosure. I get it from reptilebasics.com, and I let it soak/sit for 15 minutes, then rinse well. You can get it in a gallon jug and I think it's a good product, and less harsh than bleach. But I'm sure there are others out there! I'd be interested to hear what others suggest. c:

Clever Goat

o-o_TeaThyme_o-o
I like to use chlorhexidine solution to wash things for my snake's enclosure. I get it from reptilebasics.com, and I let it soak/sit for 15 minutes, then rinse well. You can get it in a gallon jug and I think it's a good product, and less harsh than bleach. But I'm sure there are others out there! I'd be interested to hear what others suggest. c:

Thanks for the input; I'll definitely look into it.

Conservative Capitalist

10,725 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Olympian 200
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Like TeaTyme said, chlorhexidine is very popular and probably the most widely used by breeders.
Bleach is good too as long as you let it dry completely, the chlorine just dissipates into the air and doesn't leave residue.

F10SC is highly recommended by a lot of people, it's pretty expensive, but can safely be ingested if you accidentally leave some in the enclosure. People use it in nebulizers to treat bacterial and fungal RI.

I personally use bleach because it's more readily available and I don't have to order it.

~ Fly over me Evil Angel ~

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
For rocks and tile type things I prefer to put them in the oven to bake them. 350 for an hour is what I do

Clever Goat

[Kat.On.A.Stick]

Like TeaTyme said, chlorhexidine is very popular and probably the most widely used by breeders.
Bleach is good too as long as you let it dry completely, the chlorine just dissipates into the air and doesn't leave residue.

F10SC is highly recommended by a lot of people, it's pretty expensive, but can safely be ingested if you accidentally leave some in the enclosure. People use it in nebulizers to treat bacterial and fungal RI.

I personally use bleach because it's more readily available and I don't have to order it.

OK, I just had my concerns about using bleach because of any residue. I'll still look into the chlorhexidine, but as long as bleach IS fine to you, I'll probably stick with it since it is readily available.

Conservative Capitalist

10,725 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Olympian 200
HiIdr
[Kat.On.A.Stick]

OK, I just had my concerns about using bleach because of any residue. I'll still look into the chlorhexidine, but as long as bleach IS fine to you, I'll probably stick with it since it is readily available.

As long as you dilute it correctly, it's perfectly safe. Just make sure you wipe it down well and let it dry completely, once the bleach smell is gone, it's safe to put the animals in.

I forgot to mention this. Vinegar makes a good disinfectant too, I used that for a long time, but I hate the way it smells and I actually really enjoy the smell of bleach, so I switched to bleach :P

Clever Goat

[Kat.On.A.Stick]

As long as you dilute it correctly, it's perfectly safe. Just make sure you wipe it down well and let it dry completely, once the bleach smell is gone, it's safe to put the animals in.

I forgot to mention this. Vinegar makes a good disinfectant too, I used that for a long time, but I hate the way it smells and I actually really enjoy the smell of bleach, so I switched to bleach :P

I never even thought of vinegar. I think I'd prefer that over bleach since I don't mind the smell.
Shanna66
For rocks and tile type things I prefer to put them in the oven to bake them. 350 for an hour is what I do
this is what I did the the my lizard. And cleaned his cage with water and vinegar mixture.

boybaka's Significant Otter

High-functioning Bookworm

19,400 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Sausage Fest 200
For things like rocks and feeding bowls, I wash it in diluted bleach, then diluted vinegar, then rinse in water. For the cage itself, I use jurassiclean brand spray.

Fuzzy Strawberry

13,300 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
“I was born to love you
with every single beat of my heart.
I was born to take care of you
every single day of my life."
― Freddie Mercury

White vinegar and water :3

“My soul has painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly, my friends...”
― Freddie Mercury

Dainty Doll

I'm another vote for vinegar- white vinegar or apple cider vinegar, to be specific. I've used it for all kinds of animal habitats/accessories over the years; rodents, rabbits, fish, giant snails, tree frogs etc. and never had a negative experience (it's also good for getting the sides of the tank nice and sparkly clean without leaving any residue).

I find adding a little baking soda to the vinegar is good for lifting poop messes, too.

Clever Goat

Tute Sweet
I'm another vote for vinegar- white vinegar or apple cider vinegar, to be specific. I've used it for all kinds of animal habitats/accessories over the years; rodents, rabbits, fish, giant snails, tree frogs etc. and never had a negative experience (it's also good for getting the sides of the tank nice and sparkly clean without leaving any residue).

I find adding a little baking soda to the vinegar is good for lifting poop messes, too.

Vinegar has had an overwhelming positive review.
I've used it a couple of times so far, and Marty hasn't seemed to be bother by it.
HiIdr
So I recently got a bearded dragon and I've discovered he loves to poop right on his basking rock. I clean it up as soon as I notice it because it smells awful and I'd hate for him to run up into it and then drag it all over. I feel like I should be sterilizing the rock, but I don't know what to use that is safe for him.

I could - I guess - take the rock out and bleach it at night when it's his bed time?
Buuuut I'd rather it be something I could do quickly and not have to wait several hours, then wash the rock again and again to make sure I got rid of the chemical.

NO BLECH!! I have two bearded dragons if you want to clean off his rock use hot water no chemicals they absorb that through their vents and will also drink water through their vents yes a beardies poop stinks but it is a good sign of health also depends on consistency. Yes it is normal for him to attack his reflection it is a territoral thing mine do it too if ut really bothers u put a back ground on the outside of your terriarium besides where u look in to see him. I dont like using chemicals for ANY reptile the only thing besides heat lamps blah blah kinda stuff I give my babies reptivite and calcium I hope this helps anything else just fly me a message

Are there any non-toxic cleaners or better yet, any natural cleaners I could use?

While we're here, is it normal for him to be fighting his reflection in his tank?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff