Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Fatcat

15,575 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.We are our own masters~

I want to start taking Yam Yam for walks but I have no idea what I should get for him so I can start sweatdrop so any tips would be greatly apperciated

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.We are our own masters~

Sparkly Nerd

28,925 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Brandisher 100
Take it slow.

That is the best advice you will ever get.

Introduce the harness that you plan on using well before attempting to put in on your cat.
Make the harness a good thing (bring it out during feeding times, playtime, etc). Heck, just leave it out so it becomes a part of everyday life.

When your kitty is used to its presence, put it on. This may take some time (I honestly suggest a harness that has separate clasps for the neck and chest, it makes it sooo much easier).
Make wearing the harness a good thing; give your kitty treats, play with him, love on him. Make everything about wearing it positive.

Next up is introducing the leash. Make it a part of the environment just like you did with the harness. After he's used to it being around, put his harness on and attach the leash (follow him around the house holding the leash). Again, make everything about this extra weight positive.
Once he's used to having the harness on with the leash attached, you can take him outside.
Just remember the cat walks you, and it's generally more of a casual stroll.

I recommend a Kitty Holster for the harness (you just have to make the sound of velcro a good thing) because it's harder to escape than most, and a retractable leash (one that's built for small dogs)

Also, your cat will probably act like he's been crippled the first few times that he has the harness on... It will be both scary and hilarious. Play is crucial to get him used to the idea that movement is possible while wearing the harness.

Invisible Fatcat

15,575 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Melisserz
Take it slow.

Introduce the harness that you plan on using well before attempting to put in on your cat.
Make the harness a good thing (bring it out during feeding times, playtime, etc). Heck, just leave it out so it becomes a part of everyday life.

When your kitty is used to its presence, put it on. This may take some time (I honestly suggest a harness that has separate clasps for the neck and chest, it makes it sooo much easier).
Make wearing the harness a good thing; give your kitty treats, play with him, love on him. Make everything about wearing it positive.

Next up is introducing the leash. Make it a part of the environment just like you did with the harness. After he's used to it being around, put his harness on and attach the leash (follow him around the house holding the leash). Again, make everything about this extra weight positive.
Once he's used to having the harness on with the leash attached, you can take him outside.

I recommend a Kitty Holster for the harness (you just have to make the sound of velcro a good thing) because it's harder to escape than most, and a retractable leash (one that's built for small dogs)

Also, your cat will probably act like he's been crippled the first few times that he has the harness on... It will be both scary and hilarious. Play is crucial to get him used to the idea that movement is possible while wearing the harness.

Oh Ill right c: Ill look into the Kitty holster I have read a few things about getting cats used to wearing one and I know it takes time.

Thank you for the tips c:

Sparkly Nerd

28,925 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Brandisher 100
Ninja kyuubi13
Melisserz
Take it slow.

Oh Ill right c: Ill look into the Kitty holster I have read a few things about getting cats used to wearing one and I know it takes time.

No problem. There are other kitty walkers in this forum and they'll probably be by in the next few days to give you their advice as well. All cats are different after all, and they probably have things to say about harness training that I haven't dealt with.

I'm waiting for my new KH to arrive, I got the pink polka-dot one.
It'll be new to my girly, but I've heard great things from my friends who use them

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
not really much else to add. pick out a harness type and put it on your cat and give them lots of love and treats until they are ok wearing it. some cats do better or feel more comfortable in certain harnesses. figure 8 harnesses work best for my kitten, but im having trouble finding one big enough for her since she outgrew her baby one. im using this right now and its a good harness, but she doesnt seem as happy in it as the old one

my male i just use a dog harness since he doesnt try to get out and mostly just stays right beside me. and i havent ever found a cat harness big enough for him lol

Invisible Fatcat

15,575 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Shanna66
not really much else to add. pick out a harness type and put it on your cat and give them lots of love and treats until they are ok wearing it. some cats do better or feel more comfortable in certain harnesses. figure 8 harnesses work best for my kitten, but im having trouble finding one big enough for her since she outgrew her baby one. im using this right now and its a good harness, but she doesnt seem as happy in it as the old one

my male i just use a dog harness since he doesnt try to get out and mostly just stays right beside me. and i havent ever found a cat harness big enough for him lol

How does a figure 8 harness fit on to cats? o: does it just go around thier legs or also around the neck?

Invisible Fatcat

15,575 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Melisserz
Ninja kyuubi13
Melisserz
Take it slow.

No problem. There are other kitty walkers in this forum and they'll probably be by in the next few days to give you their advice as well. All cats are different after all, and they probably have things to say about harness training that I haven't dealt with.

I'm waiting for my new KH to arrive, I got the pink polka-dot one.
It'll be new to my girly, but I've heard great things from my friends who use them

Well I hope so c: I could use all the tips I need. Im hoping Yam Yam will take to it easily since hes a bit laid back but never know >w<

I hope she enjoys it c: do you ever encounter a dog with your kities walks? I worry about that too since Yam Yams only seen dogs from behind a glass door.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Ninja kyuubi13
Shanna66

How does a figure 8 harness fit on to cats? o: does it just go around thier legs or also around the neck?

Yup, behind the front legs and around the neck. Not much to them so some cats get used to them easier

Anxious Seeker

Ohka was really young when I started. I use a puppy harness, and she's almost too big for that now at 7 months. But I simply had it out a lot, got her used to a regular collar first and then simply put it on her with the leash, went slow putting it on but she was so used to being handled and dressed up, she just laid there. xD I let her drag the leash around with her and learn it wasn't bad. Done. Now going outside, we have to go slow and be aware that new things MAY startle her, so we have a quick retreat when she gets to anxious. Mostly she just hangs out with me in the car while my boyfriend works on the car, or, goes for a nice A/c'd car ride. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff