Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Man-Lover

~ Aki - Fairy ~
this rainbow lover
Feed him dry food. It's much better for their teeth in the long run.

Actually, not so much. Have you ever had to clean up cat puke shortly after they ate? If so, you'd have noticed very little of the kibble pieces were actually broken up/chewed - most of them look pretty much the same as they did when you dumped them in a bowl, albeit a bit more swollen from moisture absorption.
Wet food is much better for general health than dry, because cats typically have really low thirst drives and don't drink nearly enough, resulting in crystals, uti's, and other painful potty issues.
The best thing you can do to keep teeth healthy is feed raw meaty bones. A raw diet is actually best period for carnivorous felines.

Hmm, I guess I never really looked at cat vomit before, but I see your point xD

I never knew you could give a cat raw bones. Seems sort of odd, but if it works, it works.
this rainbow lover

I never knew you could give a cat raw bones. Seems sort of odd, but if it works, it works.

I have more than enough experience with cat vomit... mine gets combined wet-kibble a couple days a week and when I add in a new variety of wet she tends to do a scarf-and-barf (inhale her food because it's just so good; start puking halfway through the meal)

What's odd about giving a cat raw bones? They're carnivores of the hunting variety - designed to eat meat from animals that have bones, and the bones have nutrients that the meat doesn't, plus is a natural toothbrush.

Shameless Man-Lover

~ Aki - Fairy ~
this rainbow lover

I have more than enough experience with cat vomit... mine gets combined wet-kibble a couple days a week and when I add in a new variety of wet she tends to do a scarf-and-barf (inhale her food because it's just so good; start puking halfway through the meal)

What's odd about giving a cat raw bones? They're carnivores of the hunting variety - designed to eat meat from animals that have bones, and the bones have nutrients that the meat doesn't, plus is a natural toothbrush.

I always thought bones were bad for pets, but that's only cooked bones, I suppose. I thought they would break and choke on them. And there is the fact that I don't keep raw chicken bones around, really.
this rainbow lover
~ Aki - Fairy ~
this rainbow lover

I always thought bones were bad for pets, but that's only cooked bones, I suppose. I thought they would break and choke on them. And there is the fact that I don't keep raw chicken bones around, really.

Cooked is dangerous, yes, because the cooking process dries them out and makes them brittle. Raw are softer and more malleable, presenting very little choking or blockage risk.
Bubble Shark

Thank you ! > w <

Can't afford two cats ha ha.

He bites/scratches my fiance's hand. He's only been with us two days so we'll have to stop him doing that. But you can't train them off something like dogs. x.x

Yeah we should of realized that; guess we enjoyed the bonding. sweatdrop

It has two balls and a pillow; were going to buy more toys on Thursday. <3

Grain free? Got it. (:
We'll look into it whenever we have a bit of extra cash. c:

I'm making Dante indoor. <3

Dante is well behaved but is just very energetic and loving. And when their loving they can show it in different ways. XD After the first night (2nd day now) he uses the litter box. emotion_kirakira

Squirt bottles work on dogs better apparently.
Swatting - makes sense like a game.
Pennies no go...? Lame. > . >
"time outs" seem useless on 99% of pets. XD
"scruffing" - Oh dear ! sweatdrop

Must not try any of those then, wonder what works...I tried ignoring it didn't work. X.X
this rainbow lover

We made his bed comfy and even gave him a dovet of ours tha we don't need much. XD Picky kitty.~

Indoor it is.~

Were going to call a vet to get his shots; we don't know if he's had any. :/
Note: Terrible ex owners. Didn't know his gender! Were going to kill him if not homed.
Note2: A friend said he looks too small to be 8 weeks...we don't even know his AGE now. Seriously....those people need to be locked up, but domestic murder seems "okay" these days. X.X

He climbs on the sofa's they're long across the room and we got two seats next to the sofa he loves them. <3

Cats aren't too bad minus teaching him the no no's ! XD
~ Aki - Fairy ~

We'll look into it. I think I'd be too paranoid about him choking. X.X Have to look into it.~

I'm better with visual teaching; trial and error is fine 99% of the time but since the cat could get hurt if I mess up I'd rather have a visual. I'll ask the vet ! (: It would help a ton.~
Kanto_Mint
But you can't train them off something like dogs. x.x

Actually, cat and dog training is very similar, at least in my experience starting with an adult cat.

Keep in mind when asking the vet about stuff that they have very little knowledge on nutrition (at least in North America, I'm not sure how European studies might differ) and are often biased towards "the food we sell is the best and only thing you should feed your pet; anything else isn't formulated right; bones and raw meat are dangerous because the animal could get sick from bacteria" - with formulation, mine usually go with the whole dental effect, because the crap they sell is supposed to help clean the teeth as they bite into it (it's hard to argue that meat trumps corn for carnivores); bones and raw being dangerous is kablooey; raw bones are soft and malleable, minimal splintering risk; animals like dogs and cats don't eat kibble in the wild, they eat raw meat - it's what their bodies were made to consume and digest. And the stuff they sell is typically minimally different than the stuff you get at the grocery, only it's considerably higher in price.
~ Aki - Fairy ~

Oh fair enough. :]

I don't know about UK vets. sweatdrop

Alright we'll try raw bones. (: I suppose I'm just protective due to how I got him.

Oh wow....what fun extra cash to spend.

I might ask a local butcher is it hard to get raw bones that have not been cooked so are safe???
Kanto_Mint
~ Aki - Fairy ~

Oh fair enough. :]

I don't know about UK vets. sweatdrop

Alright we'll try raw bones. (: I suppose I'm just protective due to how I got him.

Oh wow....what fun extra cash to spend.

I might ask a local butcher is it hard to get raw bones that have not been cooked so are safe???

The fresher the product is, the better it is. Since there's really no true guarantee with the stuff up for sale (you have to take them at their word and know that they're taking somebody else at their word), unless you go directly to the source where it's killed and chopped up (which'll just turn you further off feeding raw, I'm sure), your best bet would be to give it a good solid freeze for a few weeks, then defrost in the fridge and provide to kitty in a "clean"/"sanitary" space.
~ Aki - Fairy ~

I'll honestly admit that would turn me off. sweatdrop

We lived near a slaughter house; which is why I'm so.... emotion_puke

(While I lived with my mother.)

So freezing them and taking them out is best; do you need to re-freeze the rest like usual food?
And I don't know where we could buy them to be honest we'd have to ask around.
Our kitten seems to like most things; bless him. <3 He loves something as simple as the belt string around a pair of shorts. <3
Kanto_Mint
~ Aki - Fairy ~

I'll honestly admit that would turn me off. sweatdrop

We lived near a slaughter house; which is why I'm so.... emotion_puke

(While I lived with my mother.)

So freezing them and taking them out is best; do you need to re-freeze the rest like usual food?
And I don't know where we could buy them to be honest we'd have to ask around.
Our kitten seems to like most things; bless him. <3 He loves something as simple as the belt string around a pair of shorts. <3

I don't know the whys of it or anything, but you shouldn't freeze, defrost, and re-freeze raw meat. Once defrosted it has to be consumed.
Talking to butchers and such would be best. Hunters that go for fowl and stuff like rabbits as well.
A string is one of the best toys you can provide for a cat, so long as it doesn't pose a swallow-and-choke risk.
Shiny coins on a smooth floor amuse cats quite well too (just again, careful supervision that kitty doesn't put them in its mouth)

Thankful Vegetarian

10,400 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
this rainbow lover
~ Aki - Fairy ~
this rainbow lover

Bones ARE bad for pets gonk
Pork bones break into smaller, dangerous pieces.
Chicken bones splinter and can damage internal structures.
If anything cow bones should be given, even then though it's best to avoid actual bones.
a wishing well
this rainbow lover
~ Aki - Fairy ~
this rainbow lover

Bones ARE bad for pets gonk
Pork bones break into smaller, dangerous pieces.
Chicken bones splinter and can damage internal structures.
If anything cow bones should be given, even then though it's best to avoid actual bones.

Thats COOKED bones. RAW bones are completely safe to give and pose no larger a threat than a dog choking/dying on kibble. ;D When raw feeding its not uncommon to get very hands-on while the pet is breaking stuff down. I've had my hands covered in bone pieces and gore and, really, poultry breaks into small, round edged pieces. Raw bones are generally very soft, easily broken down into safe pieces and easily digested. Cooked bones, on the other hand, dry out and WILL splinter and cause damage.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
I'd advice trying to keep your cat as an indoor cat, if you can. Only reason we let my cat out is because she becomes completely miserable if she can't go out, and she acts like a little monster. If you have a kitty that wants to go out, try to leash train it. Like, now, while it's young.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff