Welcome to Gaia! ::

I love animals so don't get me wrong, but is it really necessary to bring your dog to the store with you? It happens quite alot at my work (probably because we are near a pet store) I work at a clothing store. Also, is it really that offensive for me to ask you to leave your pet in the car?

The only reason this is a problem for me is, I'm asthmatic allergic to almost anything with fur.
Its not just me getting itchy and my eyes watering up. My chest tightens and I can't breathe.
All this from a few seconds of a passing animal. And it doesn't just go away when I'm no longer in contact with it. It can take me quite a while to get my breathing stable again, and I always feel like I need to change and wash up but its impossible since I'm at work.

But yeah, is it really wrong to ask for the pet to leave? Everytime my coworker asks (I end up going to the break room to avoid the animals) the pet owners end up becoming really upset. T^T

Any advice?

Oh wow, I certainly missed all these posts.

However updated information:
First off, most of the dogs are just pets. We are right next to a petco or petsmart, i always get them mixed up. We sell pet accessories cheaper than them so alot of pet owners come in when they want to buy a new toy, bed, clothing for them. (we rarely get in service dogs, though a repeat customer is a trainer. However, she always makes sure they are properly groomed and bathed to eliminate or reduce pet dander)

Not only do I have a rescue inhaler, I have portable nebulizer. And ofcourse take preventive medicine. I'm a seasonal asthmatic so I try my best to be well prepared. I've always had both.

I've talked to my Store Manager, who in turn talked to the district manager. There is now a Service Dog only sign. However, its not that noticeable(?) And its not a strict policy either, People are still welcome to bring their pets in but our lovely security notify pet owners that there is a staff member who is extremely allergic whenever I am on duty. (And most have been welcomed in if they are restricting the pet to the pet aisle only, so I can still work with needing to hide away)

So far only one customer has made a fuss, but it didnt last long when my manager showed them the sign.

All in all. I been able to work comfortably. And I am grateful to my staff members and customers who understand and comply, helping me out immensely.

Thank you for everyone for the advice.
Personally, I wish I could take my dogs more places, because it's a great training opportunity. However, I can completely understand why some places are "no pets." I wouldn't get upset over such, though, personally. That said, there is one place in town that has a "no pets" sign but that I still take my dogs in - they have it because food safety or whoever said they had to (gas station convenience store), but being daughter/granddaughter/niece of the owners has its perks and I'm allowed to take them in.

What I would do in your situation is talk to the manager or whomever and see if you can get a "no pets in store" sign, just to ensure it's generic, solid, across the board and happening all the time and not just when you're working (may be part of the problem, if they're allowed sometimes but not always), and so that it appears as store policy.
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Personally, I wish I could take my dogs more places, because it's a great training opportunity. However, I can completely understand why some places are "no pets." I wouldn't get upset over such, though, personally. That said, there is one place in town that has a "no pets" sign but that I still take my dogs in - they have it because food safety or whoever said they had to (gas station convenience store), but being daughter/granddaughter/niece of the owners has its perks and I'm allowed to take them in.

What I would do in your situation is talk to the manager or whomever and see if you can get a "no pets in store" sign, just to ensure it's generic, solid, across the board and happening all the time and not just when you're working (may be part of the problem, if they're allowed sometimes but not always), and so that it appears as store policy.

Ah, I see. Thank you very much.
I will try to talk to my manager about it. 4laugh

I really do feel bad though and wish I wasnt so allergic, especially when they bring puppies in ><

Dedicated Hoarder

Is the store no pets allowed?

Yes?

Then no. Don't feel bad. You have an inhaler, yes?

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
i would love to bring my pets to more stores. but i understand when someone doesnt want an animal brought into their store. its rude to put up a fuss when someone asks you to leave because of an animal
For some people, yes it is. Service dogs, anyone?
First I have to ask what the climate is like in your area. Is it really hot, really cold? Both? Neither?

Cars heat up dangerously fast. A dog left in a car at even 75 degree weather can quickly suffocate because they won't be able to breathe the scalding air.
If it's too cold, even a dog's thick coat won't be able to protect Fido once the car cools down.
Should they be bringing their dog into the store if dogs aren't allowed? No. Should they be left in the car for an undetermined amount of time? Also no. They should be left at home.

Devoted Inquisitor

FigureSkating Tomboy
First I have to ask what the climate is like in your area. Is it really hot, really cold? Both? Neither?

Cars heat up dangerously fast. A dog left in a car at even 75 degree weather can quickly suffocate because they won't be able to breathe the scalding air.
If it's too cold, even a dog's thick coat won't be able to protect Fido once the car cools down.
Should they be bringing their dog into the store if dogs aren't allowed? No. Should they be left in the car for an undetermined amount of time? Also no. They should be left at home.

I'm super glad that people are becoming more aware of the dangers of a hot car, but it is perfectly possible to leave a dog in a car in 75 degree weather safely.
For some dogs it may not be a problem, but if you have a pug like me, then it can become an issue. It also depends if it's sunny or not. A car on a sunny day will heat up a lot quicker than a car on a cloudy day.

Devoted Inquisitor

FigureSkating Tomboy
For some dogs it may not be a problem, but if you have a pug like me, then it can become an issue. It also depends if it's sunny or not. A car on a sunny day will heat up a lot quicker than a car on a cloudy day.

Yep! People should be aware of where they're parking their car, and windows should be cracked.

But I've seen quite a few people mention that if it's over 75 dogs should be left at home, and that's really not practical, especially when its easy to make it safe for the dogs.
Latrans
FigureSkating Tomboy

Yep! People should be aware of where they're parking their car, and windows should be cracked.

But I've seen quite a few people mention that if it's over 75 dogs should be left at home, and that's really not practical, especially when its easy to make it safe for the dogs.
Living in FL I always do a double take when I hear of people who regularly leave their dogs in their cars. I do think if you are planning to do so you should take some safety precautions, especially if it is going to be a routine thing. For instance they have nifty little devices you can leave in the car that will alert you if the temps get within certain danger ranges. You just add a little beeper for it onto your key ring.

Devoted Inquisitor

Krissim Klaw
Living in FL I always do a double take when I hear of people who regularly leave their dogs in their cars. I do think if you are planning to do so you should take some safety precautions, especially if it is going to be a routine thing. For instance they have nifty little devices you can leave in the car that will alert you if the temps get within certain danger ranges. You just add a little beeper for it onto your key ring.

I leave my dog in the car once a week or better. Saturday, Elsie spent three hours in the car, and it was 92 out (when we parked; when I left it was down to 85). Of course, I was parked in the shade, with the windows cracked, she had access to water and I could see her the whole time, but it was still hot out. Even so, she was never in distress; she was asleep and wasn't hot when I went to get her.

With all the sporting activities we do, they have to be left in the car semi-frequently.

Just like anything else with dogs, it requires some precautions be taken and some thought put into it.
Mintiness Creamy Mess

Yes?

An inhaler is not a fix all! Dear lord, I hate people that think this. It depends on her overall health at the moment. If her allergies/ asthma is bad at the moment, she is screwed and she misses work because someone was inconsiderate to health problems of other people.

If people are going to multiple stores, leave your dog at home. If you don't trust your dog, put them in crate while you are away.

Dedicated Hoarder

Shana OHara
Mintiness Creamy Mess

Yes?

An inhaler is not a fix all! Dear lord, I hate people that think this. It depends on her overall health at the moment. If her allergies/ asthma is bad at the moment, she is screwed and she misses work because someone was inconsiderate to health problems of other people.

If people are going to multiple stores, leave your dog at home. If you don't trust your dog, put them in crate while you are away.
I didn't assume it was a fix all...I have asthma with an emergency inhaler. I'm just saying if her allergies/asthma is that bad she needs to look into getting one if she doesn't have and/or take it to work with her. talk2hand

Fashionable Pup

I have asthma and severe allergies to anything with fur....and I own a dog that sheds lol

I would recommend that if your asthma is that out of control you should really call your doctor!
It is important that you have your condition under control because every time you have an asthma attack it just sets your health a few steps back.

I have a preventative medication to help with my allergy issues, and I have a steroid that I take for my asthma to prevent attacks :]

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff