Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is it cruel?

Yes 0.76470588235294 76.5% [ 26 ]
No 0.11764705882353 11.8% [ 4 ]
Idk 0.11764705882353 11.8% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 34 ]
< 1 2 3 >

Aged Hunter

I very much regret declawing my cat so that we had somewhere to live. The place I lived in when I got her didn't care if she was clawed or not, but then they raised the rent and I couldn't afford it anymore. The only place I could find in a decent neighborhood that allowed cats required them to be declawed, and inspected the cats to ensure it was done. She's 5yrs old and already showing signs of arthritis. When she jumps down off the bathroom counter (one of her favorite perching spots) she winces and limps on her front paws the first few steps. It kills me knowing that I did that to her. I will never declaw a cat again, regardless of the age.
Declawing is like bad. Imagine where your nail is and someone cutting that part off. With the finger part too.

5,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Norisune
To tell you the truth its pretty much a 50/50 thing. Some people think its cruel.. some people think is not. So its pretty much your choice. I work at a veterinary clinic and Ive assisted in a few declaws myself.. at first glance it looks very traumatic, but it is often recommended by vets to get them declawed as kittens.. since they heal up much faster. Never declaw and older cat because that causes much more complications in time healing and how much they can fight infection..
Avoid surgery and the money spent. Soft Paws work but make sure youre careful.. because with the caps on their nails it makes it a bit hard to retract the claws..

Lol sorry I wrote an essay xD

No, i like that you did. its nice to get someone from that kind of point of view. That's what i thought.. when you get it done with kittens it isn't such a big deal.. and bigger cats.. have a harder time. Of course I would buy pain meds for him because its cruel to like him walk around in pain..

Thats a point i didn't think about... maybe thtey make small ones for the tips>

5,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
MlizGr
Thisistotallyridiculous
No. It's not cruel.

Stay on topic please. Not every topic was made for you to spread whatever s**t PETA posters you want. She's asking about her cat, not all those other animals.

OP, generally people will say yes, because cats walk on their toes. It would be like someone cutting off their heel or something. Sure, they'd survive and all, but it wouldn't be pleasant. In fact, many shelters are starting to add a clause that if you adopt from them you can not declaw the cat. Have you looked into soft paws? They're really cute! And if your cat will let you I'd say clip it's claws at least once a week to help keep the urge to claw down.

I wouldn't think it'd be so bad with good pain meds. I didn't know that about the shelters. Its interesting.

I can just imagine you can get different colors.. if so he's totally walking around with pink claws.

5,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Shearaha
I very much regret declawing my cat so that we had somewhere to live. The place I lived in when I got her didn't care if she was clawed or not, but then they raised the rent and I couldn't afford it anymore. The only place I could find in a decent neighborhood that allowed cats required them to be declawed, and inspected the cats to ensure it was done. She's 5yrs old and already showing signs of arthritis. When she jumps down off the bathroom counter (one of her favorite perching spots) she winces and limps on her front paws the first few steps. It kills me knowing that I did that to her. I will never declaw a cat again, regardless of the age.

I see what you mean. i'd rather have my cat live a healthy happy life even if it means without me. If i did end up doing it and he had health problems I would feel horrible... I'd spoil him even more to make sure he was comfortable.

5,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
vampier_azrael
Declawing is like bad. Imagine where your nail is and someone cutting that part off. With the finger part too.

It's alittle different than that but.. yeah either way isn't so pleasant.
MlizGr
Thisistotallyridiculous
No. It's not cruel.

Stay on topic please. Not every topic was made for you to spread whatever s**t PETA posters you want. She's asking about her cat, not all those other animals.

They're not PETA posters for one. And for two I think it's bizarre how people consider things like this cruelty while most support factory farming. It's critical they're aware of what they're supporting.

Luckily the O.P. has her own farm. biggrin

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
User Image

Sorry for the large picture but I am with almost everyone else suggesting soft paws. Ika is wearing purple. Ignore the random Mangas, something I had gotten into 4 years ago and like just seeing people's reactions when they walk into my room XD

Aged Hunter

Blueyedancer
Shearaha

I see what you mean. i'd rather have my cat live a healthy happy life even if it means without me. If i did end up doing it and he had health problems I would feel horrible... I'd spoil him even more to make sure he was comfortable.

Unfortunately Shearaha has/had some nasty behavior issues. She's a "failed" foster. She was adopted and returned 3 times. No one in my family will take her and if I put her into a shelter she would either be euthanized due to her behavior issues or live the rest of her life in a shelter. I still think that declawing her and keeping her with me was the lesser of the 2 evils. She's loved and pampered and we work on her issues a lot so she's getting better with other people. She's always been wonderful with me.

3,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Besides soft paws and trimming, adding horizontal and vertical scratch post around the areas your cat want to scratch will help.

Get a vertical scratching post that your cat can fully stretch out on. This will help stear your cat from walls and sides of funiture.

Horizontal scratchers will help your cat not claw tops of chairs and pillows. My cats favorite is the cat lounge. Its outside packaging is green and it provides side scratching areas for when they want to lay down and scratch. This isnt my cats just a picture of what Im talking about whee

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Youll want to put these near places he would want to scratch, like near the sofa.

Use tape on areas that he still is attracted to. I use clear packing tape, it doesnt let behind sticky stuff. You should be able to remove the tape once the cat is used to scratchers.

There is lots of scratch post you can get. Cardboard ones are nice since they are pretty cheap and easily replaced. There is even a metal one that is suppose to help trim their nails. I stay clear of carpet based scratch post because my apartment is carpeted. That makes it difficult to tell your cat which carpet is good carpet.

I hope this helps. ^^

Edit: I understand you said they dont work in your original post. What kind do you have? How many? And where are they located?

A lot of people have the mistake of putting them on one side of the room rather than where the cat is scratching at. Like putting a vertical post next to the sofa, since they tend to use the sides and apply tape to that area in the mean time.

Award and praise will encourage your cat to continue using the scratchers.

Lonely Browser

8,150 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
That's cruel to me (well it's my opinion). I like what Latrans said about the product "soft paws". In some stores they sell this cardboard/carpet cat scratch toy thingy to make cats scratch there nails on it, so they won't be ruining furniture. It makes the cats relax. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. (Google Images) User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Declawing should be a very last resort. Have you looked into Soft Paws? You can order them over the internet and have a vet put them on. They're like little caps that go on the claws, and the come off naturally when the cat sheds them. They even come in bright colors so it looks like the cat has painted nails! cat_whee
De-clawing requires the cat’s toes to be amputated at the first knuckle. The results are often psychologically damaging as well as dangerous physically to the cat. For them it’s like the top your fingers are cut off. Not only can this be painful, but it can also cause problems, like litterbox problems. Because the litter hurts their paws, and it doesn’t have his nails anymore to defense himself. In return he will bite.

The cat’s claw is not a nail as is a human fingernail, it is part of the last bone in the cat’s toe. De-clawing isn’t only the claw that is removed, It’s not a minor surgery, it is, 10, separate, painful amputation. Declawing consists of amputating not just the claws, but the whole phalanx (up to the joint), including bones, ligaments, and tendons! To remove the claw, the bone, nerve, joint capsule, collateral ligaments, and the extensor and flexor tendons must all be amputated. In human terms this would be cutting off a persons finger at the last joint of each finger.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

It is a painful surgery, with a painful recovery period. And remember that during the time of recuperation from the surgery your cat would still have to use its feet to walk, jump, and scratch in its litter box regardless of the pain it is experiencing.

You can trim the nails of your cat or use softclaws. I have heard many good things about the softclaws.

The reason cats needs their claws
For protection
To mark their territory
For fitness
To catch prey (playing)

Things that can happen if you de-claw
Surgical or post-surgical complications.
Your cat may stop using the litterbox
A cat’s personality might change.
Chronic back pain
Shoulder, leg and back muscles weaken.
Declawing causes longterm physical complications. (For Example: That their little feet hurt them forever. We always avoid it, but it happens: a kitty’s toes get stepped on. When a cat has been declawed, that accidental squish hurts so very, very, much. As does a hard landing from a height.)
Declawed cats must never be allowed out of doors, and are in great danger if they do get out.
Physical ailments such as premature arthritis, cystitis, or perennial skin disorders can occur. Bungled surgeries can result in growth of deformed claws or serious infection.
MlizGr
Thisistotallyridiculous
No. It's not cruel.

OP, generally people will say yes, because cats walk on their toes. It would be like someone cutting off their heel or something. Sure, they'd survive and all, but it wouldn't be pleasant. In fact, many shelters are starting to add a clause that if you adopt from them you can not declaw the cat. Have you looked into soft paws? They're really cute! And if your cat will let you I'd say clip it's claws at least once a week to help keep the urge to claw down.

she got of subject... stare jeze... the uncruelest way without booties could be triming the nails everyday (everyday, because cats sharpen their claws often (i know thats the problem)) water spray when you see him do it is good, it works on my cat, but i understand all cats are different, i have seen thousands, as i work at a vet clinic. if he is worried or anxious you can get a spray that you plug into the wall and makes cats and other animals relaxed, its similar substances that female cats give of when they have a litter

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Neytiri anne
MlizGr
Thisistotallyridiculous
No. It's not cruel.

she got of subject... stare jeze... the uncruelest way without booties could be triming the nails everyday (everyday, because cats sharpen their claws often (i know thats the problem)) water spray when you see him do it is good, it works on my cat, but i understand all cats are different, i have seen thousands, as i work at a vet clinic. if he is worried or anxious you can get a spray that you plug into the wall and makes cats and other animals relaxed, its similar substances that female cats give of when they have a litter

And as I recall around that time she was posting such things on everyone's topics, which is why I was telling her that not all topics are made for her to spread factory farming information. Because she was trying to turn every topic at that time into it.

Of course, that was what, two months ago? Haven't noticed her much since then if I remember correctly.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff