Welcome to Gaia! ::

Loiterer

Any information would help! ou o
I've done some research and I've owned hamsters and mice so im familiar with rodents.
I've got a 10 gallon tank for them to live in,
I've got the food and bedding all squared away,
the water bottle and food dish I have,
I also have a hut for them to sleep in.

Im getting 2 male Gerbs, and any information would be great. ^^

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
I would highly suggest either getting a topper for the 10 gallon or upgrading to a 20 gallon long. Though in the US, 10 gallon is listed as sutible for 2 gerbils, it really isn't. the only way I use them right now are with some form of tank topper.

This is my reasoning: Gerbils are diggers, they live in borrows in the wild, and in captivity do much better in a tank that has 6+ inches of dig-able bedding to burrow in. With tanks like a 10 gallon putting in so much bedding doesn't leave much room for the water bottle to sit in the tank with out getting burried and leaking. 10 gallons don't offer much room for digging side ways.

I would also not use the food dish. if it is on their bedding it will get buried and you will be un buring it daily, it is just easier to scatter feed them (just sprinkle it around on top of the bedding) it makes them work and think about finding food. All my cages (even the breeding tank) are scatter fed, it adds something to do.

Do not use plastic in the tanks, it is dangerous for them, even if they don't ingest any of it it becomes sharp enough to cut. If you have a plastic bottle that will be going in the tank, try to have a bottle guard for it. most of my crew is good about not chewing their bottles but had two rescues that would destroy a bottle if it ran dry and i didn't catch it in time.

If you get a wheel, (if they grew up with one they will probably use it) either get a silent spinner, these are thick enough that gerbs can't chew them or get a mesh metal wheel (no bars) for them to run on. 7-8 inch wheels or larger are what gerbils need.

HAY! Is great for them, while they don't eat all of it, they do eat some of it, and then they use it to help build nests, and mix it in with their bedding to make it more stable to dig in. smile I like putting a huge pile in the corner and dumping food over it so they are digging and jumping in and out to find their favorites.

Treats:
Meal worms, millet spray, oat spray, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds are all great. smile

Before you get your boys call around and find an exotic vet that will see gerbils, and ask if they are comfortable doing surgeries on them, and if there are some things they wont do for them (such as neutering, or tumor removal.) I say this, because depending on where you are getting your gerbils from you may or may not know how common Scent Gland Tumors are in the line. If caught early or are slow growing, SGTs can easily be removed. I have also had on gerbil that had gotten skin cysts/tumors. also if your gerbs ever break teeth you want to have a vet that you trust trimming teeth or teaching you how to trim teeth.

Think that is everything.... if you have any other questions just ask... I have owned gerbils for 4-5 years, started breeding this past year. Current count with babies is 17 (6 adults, 11 pups between two litters)

Loiterer

Keyona
I've been saving up and a 10 gallon (and a topper! biggrin ) Is all I can afford for right now.
I'll be upgrading later along the line though, for sure! Thanks for the information!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff