Welcome to Gaia! ::

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

Hobbes, my 8 year old cat that thinks he is a possible tiger/dog combination, was on the brink of dying last summer because all those goddamn UTIs and shitty vet advice. Thanks to you guys, he's leaner, occasionally meaner, and much healthier since he made the change to Blue Buffalo wet food + water added diet. Supplemented by the occasional treat (er when he's not stealing dog treats) he's done quite well.

In fact things are almost going too well. Hobbes is a big ol' lazybutt. When he gets comfy, he sleeps. And when he sleeps, everything relaxes. He usually has a dribble or two of urine wherever he's in a place that's just so goddamn comfortable he falls asleep and just leaks.

I'm pretty sure it's just old man cat effects of age, but as far as I can tell, he's not been doing this purposefully, and his actions in relieving himself haven't changed since Bev, my sheplab pup came home at the tender age of three months.

Any tips? Suggestions? Coaxing him with more litterboxes doesn't do the trick because he doesn't do it intentionally, he's just a lazy cuddlebug of a cat.

Actual pics of him being his doofy self (please note that most of that extra "fat" is actually lose skin that's lost its elasticity) :
User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

The Peten's Fangirl

Pirate

36,750 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
If anything he is middle-age. Glad to hear that he lost the weight 3nodding

As for the leaky butt, I suspect that with the wet cat food plus extra water might be the culprit. I think you might want to mix in some low-fat dry cat food with the canned cat food and see if that hardens his stools.
The wet cat food should have been enough for liquids (as weird as that sounds) I have my cat on a wet cat food diet as well and I leave a bowl of water out just in case, but he barely touches it neutral
It sounds like you're doing something extra to have him take the water, I don't understand. Could you explain please?

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

Bonny Lass Minty

As for the leaky butt, I suspect that with the wet cat food plus extra water might be the culprit. I think you might want to mix in some low-fat dry cat food with the canned cat food and see if that hardens his stools.
The wet cat food should have been enough for liquids (as weird as that sounds) I have my cat on a wet cat food diet as well and I leave a bowl of water out just in case, but he barely touches it neutral
It sounds like you're doing something extra to have him take the water, I don't understand. Could you explain please?
Nah, he doesn't have stool problems, he just leaks urine when he chillaxes. Sorry if I didn't explain that further.

I add water to his wet food because that's the only way I've been able to make sure he gets enough fluids in this godforsaken heat since water offered just attracts mosquitoes due to the fact that he never touches it.

The Peten's Fangirl

Pirate

36,750 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Slick Southpaw
Bonny Lass Minty

Nah, he doesn't have stool problems, he just leaks urine when he chillaxes. Sorry if I didn't explain that further.

I add water to his wet food because that's the only way I've been able to make sure he gets enough fluids in this godforsaken heat since water offered just attracts mosquitoes due to the fact that he never touches it.

Ah, ok. I'm not sure about leaking urine though.

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Bonny Lass Minty

I and others actually add water to wet food still just to help make sure cats are getting all the liquid they need, just because they have such horrid thrist drives. smile

Slick, as for him leaking, I know some male dogs can have problems after getting fixed, I don't know if it happens in cats... so it could be a side effect of aging/fixing, which really isn't anything to do about it... if you have a vet you trust you could maybe talk about it?
Slick Southpaw
leaky cat
Sounds like he may have lasting damage from those UTI's.

You could perhaps try putting puppy pads on all his favourite sleeping spaces? Cats love sitting on things, so he'll probably go straight for them too.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Those things are super absorbent. I use to them to line crates & carriers whenever I fly with my pets.

There are also supplements you can use to help strengthen the urinary tract, but you may want to consult a vet that you trust to find one that will work for your cat.

Stuff like this http://www.nativeremedies.com/petalive/products/better-bladder-control-leaking-urine.html#tabset

Also! Adding a fish oil/seal oil might be beneficial - it helps with reducing inflammation as well as other things, and will help to ward of infections.

I also think another vet trip may be warranted, as dribbling can sometimes be a warning sign of a mild UTI forming again, though it could just be lasting damage. (Which is honestly what it sounds like, but ya know, cover all the bases.)
Bonny Lass Minty
low-fat dry cat food
Just a note: Low fat dry cat food is literally the worst ever. Cats should always always be fed high fat & protein, as they are carnivores and that is where they are designed to derive their energy from.

Even if you ever need to firm up stools, manually adding a supplement such as pumpkin puree will always be the better choice, since you can completely control the amounts & see the effect very quickly.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

Henrika
Slick Southpaw
leaky cat

You could perhaps try putting puppy pads on all his favourite sleeping spaces? Cats love sitting on things, so he'll probably go straight for them too.

Those things are super absorbent. I use to them to line crates & carriers whenever I fly with my pets.

There are also supplements you can use to help strengthen the urinary tract, but you may want to consult a vet that you trust to find one that will work for your cat.

Stuff like this http://www.nativeremedies.com/petalive/products/better-bladder-control-leaking-urine.html#tabset

Also! Adding a fish oil/seal oil might be beneficial - it helps with reducing inflammation as well as other things, and will help to ward of infections.

I also think another vet trip may be warranted, as dribbling can sometimes be a warning sign of a mild UTI forming again, though it could just be lasting damage. (Which is honestly what it sounds like, but ya know, cover all the bases.)

I don't have enough puppy pads for all over the house lol

The main problem with those is that they are paper-ish

Hobbes loves shredding paper. gonk

I am pretty sure you're right, as it might be from lasting damage from all those UTIs. Thanks for the link, I'll think about adding some kind of supplement like that. Once i'm sure I could convince him to eat food with that kind of stuff added.
>_>
He is very very very very particular with his food. It's only some form of chicken he's tolerated from Blue Buffalo. Grilled/meaty morsels. God help you if you added something but water or a few bits of kibble because holy s**t he will rather starve than taste test.
Slick Southpaw
Henrika
Slick Southpaw
leaky cat

I don't have enough puppy pads for all over the house lol

The main problem with those is that they are paper-ish

Hobbes loves shredding paper. gonk

I am pretty sure you're right, as it might be from lasting damage from all those UTIs. Thanks for the link, I'll think about adding some kind of supplement like that. Once i'm sure I could convince him to eat food with that kind of stuff added.
>_>
He is very very very very particular with his food. It's only some form of chicken he's tolerated from Blue Buffalo. Grilled/meaty morsels. God help you if you added something but water or a few bits of kibble because holy s**t he will rather starve than taste test.
They're not really papery - they're more like very thin diapers. And I'd only put them out on his favourite sleeping spaces - like in his beds, or on his favourite pillow or couch space etc.

But yeah definitely try a supplement - the vet can get you prescription stuff too.

Devoted Inquisitor

Every time I see the thread title I picture diarrhea. Thank you. :[
Henrika
Bonny Lass Minty
low-fat dry cat food
Just a note: Low fat dry cat food is literally the worst ever. Cats should always always be fed high fat & protein, as they are carnivores and that is where they are designed to derive their energy from.

Even if you ever need to firm up stools, manually adding a supplement such as pumpkin puree will always be the better choice, since you can completely control the amounts & see the effect very quickly.

^This. Never do low-fat, ever.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

Latrans
Every time I see the thread title I picture diarrhea. Thank you. :[
but but

it is accurate

minus the diarrhea D:

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

Henrika
They're not really papery - they're more like very thin diapers. And I'd only put them out on his favourite sleeping spaces - like in his beds, or on his favourite pillow or couch space etc.

But yeah definitely try a supplement - the vet can get you prescription stuff too.

lol you don't understand

anything vaguely resembling paper is automatically shredded by this kitty. Unless it's actual cloth, he will shred it magnificently.

This is not limited to him finding hidden stashes of tampons and pads, which he tears apart with great delight.
They make kitty diapers. If he hasn't been to the vet recently and had his status checked out as far as the UTI's I would because this can be all connected. I'm sort of confused though about the leaky butt part. Is he actually leaking from the butt hole or his manly man weiner?

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

Krissim Klaw
They make kitty diapers. If he hasn't been to the vet recently and had his status checked out as far as the UTI's I would because this can be all connected. I'm sort of confused though about the leaky butt part. Is he actually leaking from the butt hole or his manly man weiner?

it's just his man part leakin but I'm not sure how well Capt Leaky Wiener would pan out with the rest of the family.

he's probably due for another checkup but I'm not sure how to present it to the folks to pay for it since Hobbes has improved so much since his diet change.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff