Welcome to Gaia! ::

Celestial Dog

Shanna66
Q2k
Ugh things like this are why I'm so happy big chain pet supply stores are starting to push out crappy food and try to convince owners to switch to healthier ones. In the store I work at the crappy food is pushed into the far back corners of the store and the stock has been rapidly shrinking in size, eventually to just vanish completely.
The other food is arranged in order by quality. Raw diet food in the dead-center, then high quality kibble, tapering down to stuff like science diet, then all the garbage food as far back and out of sight as possible.

I swear every time someone comes in asking for a crappy food we thankfully phased out quite some time ago, I cringe a little.
And I get really relieved when people actually stop and ask "wait, so what SHOULD I feed my dog?"

It's terrible that a lot of the problems are the fact that pet owners just... aren't educated. I was really uneducated in this stuff for a long time and felt awful after I realized what absolute garbage I was feeding my pets.

Pet food companies just expect you to trust them.
And owners do.
Because in a perfect world they should be ABLE to trust them.

Yeah we used to just buy meow mix amd purina all the time before i joined animal forums and stuff. I had no reason to assume that those foods were hurting my pets. And then the vets always go on about science diet and other crap foods

Savage was one of the people that taught me about good kibble and eventualy raw.

Same, vets are so difficult to trust with that stuff. :/ When I first adopted my cats as kittens the vet INSISTED they eat Science Diet, saying it was the absolute best and a must-have in their diets. And gave me a bag of it as a sample. I was dumb and trusted them up until someone educated me that it was really not that great. Then we were on purina for a while.

It's really scary how misleading these companies can be.
And it's terrifying that some of them pay vets to insist their food is the best.
I want to be able to trust a vet. That's the whole damn reason I don't go to VCA hospitals anymore. I want a vet who will be honest with me, not obsessed with money.

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
i understand what you are saying, but until they can make healthy stuff WAY cheaper i'll have to stick wiht the crap. i cant afford 15 bucks for 5 pounds. and thats natural balance, which i belive is in the middle. dont get me wrong. i love my doggy, but i have bills and other pets to feed on two people with minimum wage jobs that hurt to much to feed ourselves right, much less our pets.

i totally understand where you are coming from but not everyone is swimming in money and time.

and yes i know im going to get a lot of crap for this. i just wanted to let you know some of us do what we can with what we got.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
lividdarkangel800
i understand what you are saying, but until they can make healthy stuff WAY cheaper i'll have to stick wiht the crap. i cant afford 15 bucks for 5 pounds. and thats natural balance, which i belive is in the middle. dont get me wrong. i love my doggy, but i have bills and other pets to feed on two people with minimum wage jobs that hurt to much to feed ourselves right, much less our pets.

i totally understand where you are coming from but not everyone is swimming in money and time.

and yes i know im going to get a lot of crap for this. i just wanted to let you know some of us do what we can with what we got.

that is understandable. not everyone can afford the best food for their pets and thats fine. so long as you are feeding old roy just because its convenient i dont think anyone here will judge you, at least i hope not

sometimes money issues pop up and i end up getting taste of the wild or purina instead of orijen or whatever else im feeding
Woohoo! You revived yours too biggrin

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Shanna66
lividdarkangel800

that is understandable. not everyone can afford the best food for their pets and thats fine. so long as you are feeding old roy just because its convenient i dont think anyone here will judge you, at least i hope not

sometimes money issues pop up and i end up getting taste of the wild or purina instead of orijen or whatever else im feeding

i feed my woofer pedigree. kibbles and bits made him puke a lot. i used to feed him natural balance, but it just got too expensive.

Devoted Inquisitor

lividdarkangel800
Shanna66
lividdarkangel800

i feed my woofer pedigree. kibbles and bits made him puke a lot. i used to feed him natural balance, but it just got too expensive.

shop around

We get 30lbs of canidae for $30 here in CA. That's hella cheap.

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Latrans
lividdarkangel800
Shanna66
lividdarkangel800

shop around

holy hell! i would totally do that if i could find it here. i've looked around anything good is super expensive here...canidae is like...20 for ten pounds here...maybe ill look around again. who knows maybe its gotten cheaper. that was like year ago.

Devoted Inquisitor

lividdarkangel800
Latrans
lividdarkangel800
Shanna66
lividdarkangel800

shop around

holy hell! i would totally do that if i could find it here. i've looked around anything good is super expensive here...canidae is like...20 for ten pounds here...maybe ill look around again. who knows maybe its gotten cheaper. that was like year ago.

Look at independent stores. The big box places are ridiculous.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Mom and pop places and coupons are the best thing ever.

Try emailing some of the companies you want to feed to your dog. Sometimes they will give you coupons or samples

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Latrans
lividdarkangel800
Latrans
lividdarkangel800
Shanna66
lividdarkangel800

shop around

Look at independent stores. The big box places are ridiculous.

we have one store that kind of in the middle that is usually cheaper, but the independent ones i have seen are way more expensive. that wasa long time ago. maybe ill check again.

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Does anyone know is Merrick is a good brand to feed my dog?
She seems to have a sensitive stomach
DizzySnowFire

It looks decent, seems to be about on-par with stuff like Acana, judging by a quick look/comparison of some ingredients and whatnot.
I don't have any personal experience with it though

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
~ Aki - Fairy ~
DizzySnowFire

It looks decent, seems to be about on-par with stuff like Acana, judging by a quick look/comparison of some ingredients and whatnot.

Well I found Canidae I think Lanturns feeds her dog this along with other people in Pets!
I know her foster mom is feeding her Diamond which isn't seeming to get along with her.
She has IBS so I want to hopefully pick her up some food tomorrow on my way there to give her foster mom to try out.
What would be good brand of food for a dog with sensitive stomach?

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
~ Aki - Fairy ~
DizzySnowFire

Is Acana better than Canidae?
What Acana should I feed my boo or give to my boo?
DizzySnowFire
~ Aki - Fairy ~
DizzySnowFire

Is Acana better than Canidae?
What Acana should I feed my boo or give to my boo?

I've never fed Canidae so again can't judge it.
Without knowing exactly what your dog is sensitive to, you may have to do a bit of trial and error to find the food that works best - just remember to take changes slow and that it can take upwards of a few months to see definite improvement. You may want to start with something basic like chicken and rice, unless you suspect either to be a culprit. Lamb and Oats is a common "sensitive stomach" option I believe.

My dogs have never really had issues with food (other than fish formulas making them gassy), so it's not something I really have experience in and thus can't offer much in the way of advice about.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff