Welcome to Gaia! ::

Thank you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this thread. Getting the word out is the fastest way to solving the problem.
JosephineReally
Hey I didn't see black gold on your list so can you tell me what you think?

http://blackgolddogfood.com/

Black Gold... is SO confusing.

In all honestly the Ultimate Adult sounds decently good.. But everything else is laden with by-products, meat and bone meal, corn...It goes WAY down in quality, so I guess it honestly depends on what formula you're feeding.. ._.

Eizoryu: I looked at Bill Jac and giggled.. There's beet pulp in almost every formula. You're given sugar.. to a Jack Russel.. :Giggles.: Oh my. Is she ever hyper? 8D

The second food looked pretty good, maybe a -tad- carb heavy, but hey, better than sugar laden~ I have found that PetSmart is the biggest pain in the booty when trying to find GREATdog food.

As for the wet food, my own Rottie gets half a can of Canidae wet food a day to every other day as part of her three is cups of food. Even on the can it says it should not be used as a staple, but in a 1 part to 4ish part ratio for whatever reason, so thats what I aim for. I think its more exciting and keeps stuff interesting, its much easier to switch out flavors on wet food than dry. ^^; Tis also a great movitator for training

Assimilated Borg

11,700 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
11 Cardinal 11
JosephineReally
Hey I didn't see black gold on your list so can you tell me what you think?

http://blackgolddogfood.com/

Black Gold... is SO confusing.

In all honestly the Ultimate Adult sounds decently good.. But everything else is laden with by-products, meat and bone meal, corn...It goes WAY down in quality, so I guess it honestly depends on what formula you're feeding.. ._.

Yeah. All of them look heavy on the grain, short on the meat (or just have mystery meat).

The cat food isn't any better.

Quote:
Corn Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry By-Products Meal, Soybean Meal, Animal Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Animal Digest Containing Poultry By-Products and Fish, Meat and Bone Meal,

Some of the ingredients from the Country Cat Food. Terrible.

Personally I wouldn't feed any of the formulas they make to any animal.
Well played, sir.

Wheezing Fatcat

9,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Brandisher 100
        I love you for making this thread, seriously. You win.

The state of 'big brand' dog foods is absolutely appalling - especially since it's pimped out to owners as The Best Thing for their dogs. I show my dogs, and almost every one I take them to is sponsored by one of the blacklisted foods - my dog took best in show, and we ended up with a 20kg bag of Eukanuba that not only did I completely fail to move and maintain my dignity, but I sure as hell didn't know what to do with. It's sitting in my spare bedroom, simply because I refuse to feed my dogs it and don't particularly want to pawn it off on someone else. DD|

Also, I'm in the UK, so some of the brands mentioned I don't recognise- but it might be worth adding 'Bakers' to your list. I'm not entirely sure that it's marketed outside of the UK, but it's up on the shelves next to Pedigree here, and just as bad. It's filled to the brim with cheap additives and very little else -- and it's also ridiculously high in protein, so most of the dogs I've seen fed on it spend most of their time acting like they're batshit insane. I had the mixer kibbles given for my puppy, and it took all of a week before the crap went in the bin because my pup was literally wired out of his mind on the stuff; his behaviour calmed immensely afterwards.

Liberal Lunatic

Am I the only one who's dog wont eat the BB Life Bits? My cat wont eat them either....

Timid Animal

[♫=♥]

I love this thread. 4laugh
11 Cardinal 11
On a daily base I would feed her propylene glycol which maybe toxic if consumed in large quanities overs weeks, months, and years. I also fed her diseased, dead, dying, and disabled cattle bits, euthinzed shelter pets with their flea collars still on. Yummy! Its also really funny how the euthing medicine is not altered or removed in the food making process. You know I also had to throw in some road kill for good measure!

Lets see... What else did I feed her..Oh yeah! She really really loved BHA which is proven to cause cancer and tumors! I also really enjoyed feeding her a dye.. I think it was.. Yellow 6? It has been linked to tumors in the adrenal gland and kidneys, it must be good stuff!

any advice on cat food?
11 Cardinal 11
On a daily base I would feed her propylene glycol which maybe toxic if consumed in large quanities overs weeks, months, and years. I also fed her diseased, dead, dying, and disabled cattle bits, euthinzed shelter pets with their flea collars still on. Yummy! Its also really funny how the euthing medicine is not altered or removed in the food making process. You know I also had to throw in some road kill for good measure!

Lets see... What else did I feed her..Oh yeah! She really really loved BHA which is proven to cause cancer and tumors! I also really enjoyed feeding her a dye.. I think it was.. Yellow 6? It has been linked to tumors in the adrenal gland and kidneys, it must be good stuff!

I ate dog food before to see what it tasted like........... Guess that wasn't a smart thing to do.

7,250 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Pie Trafficker 100
  • Pie Enabler 100
Cats and dogs do not chase down bags of Doritos when they eat naturally. Corn chips do not occur in the wild nor do they have a natural counterpart.

If you ask, some vets will help you put together a homemade pet food recipe to fit your pet's needs and medical conditions (if any) .
IMSMARTERTHENYOU
11 Cardinal 11

any advice on cat food?

seconded
11 Cardinal 11
Eizoryu: I looked at Bill Jac and giggled.. There's beet pulp in almost every formula. You're given sugar.. to a Jack Russel.. :Giggles.: Oh my. Is she ever hyper? 8D

The second food looked pretty good, maybe a -tad- carb heavy, but hey, better than sugar laden~ I have found that PetSmart is the biggest pain in the booty when trying to find GREATdog food.

As for the wet food, my own Rottie gets half a can of Canidae wet food a day to every other day as part of her three is cups of food. Even on the can it says it should not be used as a staple, but in a 1 part to 4ish part ratio for whatever reason, so thats what I aim for. I think its more exciting and keeps stuff interesting, its much easier to switch out flavors on wet food than dry. ^^; Tis also a great movitator for training
Thank you! xD That's what I've been trying to tell him. I just recently learned about the beet sugar thing, but I'll be damned if that and the corn isn't what's making her gain weight ridiculously fast since we switched off Authority! It's certainly not helping, anyway.

He's just reluctant because he doesn't want to change her food again. Seriously, from the day we adopted her, she went from Pedigree (whatever formula of that s**t her previous family was feeding) to Nature's Recipe Senior to Nutro NC Senior to Authority Senior to Bil*Jac Reduced Fat. That's over the course of a year. Nature's Recipe and Nutro both gave her terrible, terrible gas (as in stench, not frequency). She seemed to do best on Authority out of the lot. x_x Leastways her gas was tolerable and she wasn't putting on weight, despite how lazy she's gotten to be.

...Holy s**t it's been a year since we adopted her D8 But anyway, I think that those two things having such negative connotations seriously outweigh the brand promises of "show ring coat", "no sprayed-on rendered fat", and "superior corn digestibility". I swear she gained two pounds or more since we put her on the stuff.

I've seriously considered going to Petco to buy her food. There's a very nice one about 15 minutes away and they have some awesome looking brands I'd never even heard of. Merrick's, Before Grain, Natural Balance... I looked at the ingredients lists and the reviews from DFA.com for some of them and I'm quite impressed.
At least, until we can afford to feed her raw. With any luck, that shouldn't be too far in the future.

Assimilated Borg

11,700 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
IMSMARTERTHENYOU
11 Cardinal 11

any advice on cat food?

http://catinfo.org/ This site has a lot of good information.

Basically raw is best, high quality canned food is second.

Dry kibble along the lines of Friskies, Iams, Science Diet, Eukanuba, Purina, Fancy Feast, Royal Canin (Yeah they make cat food too), Nutro, The Goodlife Recipe, are all varying degrees of s**t (even if they say healthy, natural or anything like that).

If you have to feed a dry kibble, go for something without grain. Things like Blue Buffalo Wilderness, By Nature Grain Free, Taste of the Wild or Solid Gold Indigo Moon.
I have done so much extensive (and tiring razz ) research on this myself. Thanks for making this thread, it really is needed. I wish everyone knew what they were feeding their animals...and caring would be nice too. I heard that Innovo, who also makes Evo, is now owned by a large company and you know that means ): Bad news for all of us- it surely won't be the same. And when there are commercials on TV, I have to think something's up. So I wouldn't necessarily say it's good anymore. And I read this just before I was going to begin buying it sweatdrop Thankfully I didn't but you can never be too sure about where your dog's food is coming from and how true they are being when big companies get involved. They tend to turn things sour. I'm sure you know this though.
I really want to feed mine little ones Orijen since I hear it's one of the best, if not the best, but sadly I'd have to go looking in other towns which isn't particularly what I want to do every time I need dog food but I just may one day. Right now I'm feeding Wellness, switching to Wellness Core soon, and I'm still not sure about my older dog, I wish I could get a good senior grain-free for him but I don't see any atm.

Hope I helped a little. And if you or someone else has posted something like this I apologize; I haven't read all of the pages.

11 Cardinal 11
Can I has List...?

Well, I thought it'd be a good idea to list dog food brands, the good, the bad, and the down right ugly. This way its an easy and quick comparison on level of food quality.

The worst.

Pedigree, Kibbles 'n Bits, Alpo, Gravy Train (cringe), Purina Dog Chow, Beneful Original...

'Okay'

IAMs Healthy Naturals, Pro Plan, Purina Beyond One, Science Diet, Eukanuba, Diamond brand

Much better

Blue Buffalo, Canidae, Wellness, Innova, Diamond brand Naturals

Great

Evo, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Canidae Pure Elements, Wellness Core, Solid Gold, Taste of the Wild, Acanna, Orijen

The best

Raw.

As you can see my lists are lacking, I could use a bit of help with this. 8D

Assimilated Borg

11,700 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
prodigyXofXpeace
I have done so much extensive (and tiring razz ) research on this myself. Thanks for making this thread, it really is needed. I wish everyone knew what they were feeding their animals...and caring would be nice too. I heard that Innovo, who also makes Evo, is now owned by a large company and you know that means ): Bad news for all of us- it surely won't be the same. And when there are commercials on TV, I have to think something's up. So I wouldn't necessarily say it's good anymore. And I read this just before I was going to begin buying it sweatdrop Thankfully I didn't but you can never be too sure about where your dog's food is coming from and how true they are being when big companies get involved. They tend to turn things sour. I'm sure you know this though.
I really want to feed mine little ones Orijen since I hear it's one of the best, if not the best, but sadly I'd have to go looking in other towns which isn't particularly what I want to do every time I need dog food but I just may one day. Right now I'm feeding Wellness, switching to Wellness Core soon, and I'm still not sure about my older dog, I wish I could get a good senior grain-free for him but I don't see any atm.

Yeah there really aren't a whole lot of good senior dog foods that are grain free. We just add glucosamine to my dog's food, by buying glucosamine at the feed store (meant for horses, but has instructions for giving it to dogs).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games