Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mistress of Rain
11 Cardinal 11
Mistress of Rain
Bumping this back up a little and to share a story:

Went to petco today with my friend, Tonya.

Checking out with our cat toys Tonya noticed the small raw samples of Nature's Balance dog food, and asked if they had any small smaples for cat and said no. I piped up about Nature's Varity that is made for dogs and cats.

The girl promply said that raw is expensive, and "once you go to raw you can't go back to kibble."

We left and outside I just started laughing and was like "wrong!" And it just made me kind of hate my local petco more (Only met one guy there today that I liked... he knew where I went to school and tried to sell me a fish tank cause we were talking about fish.....)

So yep... really only shop at the local petco when I get gift cards....and will only go their openly when I want to buy a fish tank...

Also if I wanted to go premade raw with Ika it would probably only be 20/30 more dollars a month.

Raaaiinn. I discovered something the other day I thought you might like! I know costs vary.. But.. I did a bit of math. Shopping full price at walmart they have these deals thats like.. A bag of random chicken pieces $1 a pound. Cheaper still they generally have chicken Quarters for .60 a pound... You maybe see where this is going. I have two cats and to feed each of them a days worth of TOTW it costs me.. 55 cents. Thats 1/2 cup per cat per day. Feeding raw costs me something crazy like.. 50 cents a day for both cats. It would be something like.. a quarter for you a day. o.o; If I have my math right. Theres 16oz's in a pound.. A typical cat eats 4oz's a day.. $1 per pound.. Yeah. A quarter. Throw in some liver which should be roughly .6oz's of the meal if I remember correctly.. Liver here is 1.99 per pound.. Couple more pennies..

Anyways.. some food for thought. Pun intended. I found out its CHEAPER for me to feed my pets completely raw than buy dog and cat food. :l Thats nuts.

Taht is AWESOME. I think when I run to walmart I might have to look into it some. I don't think I will change her quickly but maybe get her more use to eating raw food. Takes her forever to ate the chicken I gave her a month ago. but that is awesome.

Haha, thought you'd like that! Yeah, my cats take forever to eat as well.. e.e

I wonder what my local butchers would be like.. Most likely even cheaper and then along with hitting sales.. Hrrrmm
Lady Cressida
11 Cardinal 11
Lady Cressida
11 Cardinal 11 I tipped you for creating this thread. At first I thought you were one of those heartless trolls until I read on.

What is creepy when I read this thread two days ago, one of our cats got very ill. I thought it was because he got hold of the xmas tree and got sick from the needles. Long story short. He was found in front of the bathroom door sitting in blood. Took him to the vet and found out he had UTI caused by his food. Yes, the vet even stated that Friskies (Purina) was known to cause UTI in male cats. Which I can clearly see know with all the crap they put in pet kibbles (he was never a wet food eater btw)

He is recovering very well now, and he is on special food with no crap in it like the regular food. As for the rest of the cats, I made my brother go out and buy Blue Buffalo for them.

Kudos for making this thread. Not only you saved a cat, but others as well. Never will we go back to generic pet foods. Please people spread the word around :3

I tip you back. biggrin

Thats pretty awesome. Although, beware of foods marketed as UTI. You're best bet is to introduce raw on occasion, wet the dry kibble, or feed more wet food. =)

I'm way glad he feels better!

Problem with our cats is they are very fussy. We once in a while give then raw meat, but they don't eat it. They rather eat their crummy wet/dry food. They do love it when we give them turkey livers and stuff every time we have turkey for dinner.

And thank you. He is peeing in the litter box now and his energy is back to normal.

Cats are butt holes. D< My cats will eat raw.. Then turn their noses up at it. I find lightly cooking the outside and leaving the inside raw works for chicken breasts which is a good place to start.. Or finding a wet food they WILL eat and slowly mixing in another better brand. Or wetting their kibble and then slowly mixing in raw or canned. :l Why must cats be so picky?

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
11 Cardinal 11
Mistress of Rain
11 Cardinal 11
Mistress of Rain

Checking out with our cat toys Tonya noticed the small raw samples of Nature's Balance dog food, and asked if they had any small smaples for cat and said no. I piped up about Nature's Varity that is made for dogs and cats.

The girl promply said that raw is expensive, and "once you go to raw you can't go back to kibble."

We left and outside I just started laughing and was like "wrong!" And it just made me kind of hate my local petco more (Only met one guy there today that I liked... he knew where I went to school and tried to sell me a fish tank cause we were talking about fish.....)

So yep... really only shop at the local petco when I get gift cards....and will only go their openly when I want to buy a fish tank...

Also if I wanted to go premade raw with Ika it would probably only be 20/30 more dollars a month.

Raaaiinn. I discovered something the other day I thought you might like! I know costs vary.. But.. I did a bit of math. Shopping full price at walmart they have these deals thats like.. A bag of random chicken pieces $1 a pound. Cheaper still they generally have chicken Quarters for .60 a pound... You maybe see where this is going. I have two cats and to feed each of them a days worth of TOTW it costs me.. 55 cents. Thats 1/2 cup per cat per day. Feeding raw costs me something crazy like.. 50 cents a day for both cats. It would be something like.. a quarter for you a day. o.o; If I have my math right. Theres 16oz's in a pound.. A typical cat eats 4oz's a day.. $1 per pound.. Yeah. A quarter. Throw in some liver which should be roughly .6oz's of the meal if I remember correctly.. Liver here is 1.99 per pound.. Couple more pennies..

Anyways.. some food for thought. Pun intended. I found out its CHEAPER for me to feed my pets completely raw than buy dog and cat food. :l Thats nuts.

Taht is AWESOME. I think when I run to walmart I might have to look into it some. I don't think I will change her quickly but maybe get her more use to eating raw food. Takes her forever to ate the chicken I gave her a month ago. but that is awesome.

I wonder what my local butchers would be like.. Most likely even cheaper and then along with hitting sales.. Hrrrmm

hehe, I gave her like 5 peices of cubed chickens I gave her.... thinking of getting some chicken wings...and seeing if she would eat the bones.

would breaking the wing into the two/three parts at the joins one one be a good treat for her to have?
Mistress of Rain
11 Cardinal 11
Mistress of Rain
11 Cardinal 11
Mistress of Rain

hehe, I gave her like 5 peices of cubed chickens I gave her.... thinking of getting some chicken wings...and seeing if she would eat the bones.

would breaking the wing into the two/three parts at the joins one one be a good treat for her to have?

Certainly. I always break my wings at the joint and sadly they go the craziest for the wing tips.. Claws and all : Gag: Smaller hole wings are normally around 1.5 oz's so a whole would almost be a meal.. The larger, more common, meatier ones can be 3-4 oz.. Depending. The small wings look like pigeon wings to me.. -.-' So a normally sized wing can be roughly two meals.

I think the best purchase I made was 20 bucks for a postal scale at walmart. Its so freaking handy.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
11 Cardinal 11
Mistress of Rain
11 Cardinal 11
Mistress of Rain
11 Cardinal 11
Mistress of Rain

Certainly. I always break my wings at the joint and sadly they go the craziest for the wing tips.. Claws and all : Gag: Smaller hole wings are normally around 1.5 oz's so a whole would almost be a meal.. The larger, more common, meatier ones can be 3-4 oz.. Depending. The small wings look like pigeon wings to me.. -.-' So a normally sized wing can be roughly two meals.

I think the best purchase I made was 20 bucks for a postal scale at walmart. Its so freaking handy.

yeah i'm getting some money back from school, should probably grab a scale (would be nice to weigh the twins)
I've got my Pembroke Welsh Corgi's on Blue Buffalo, it's the best food that I can afford. I'm pretty happy with it smile They used to eat Beneful(Yuck!) and one would always get the runs from it, then we moved up to Nature's Recipe, they liked that a lot. However, one of my boy's skin was getting inflamed so after switching to Blue Buffalo they've been perfectly fine smile

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
11 Cardinal 11

Cats are butt holes. D< My cats will eat raw.. Then turn their noses up at it. I find lightly cooking the outside and leaving the inside raw works for chicken breasts which is a good place to start.. Or finding a wet food they WILL eat and slowly mixing in another better brand. Or wetting their kibble and then slowly mixing in raw or canned. :l Why must cats be so picky?

I might have to try the lightly cooking thing with Payton. So far we've been doing put a little gravy or egg or something on top...

We got the turkey neck and innards for him from Thanksgiving. He FINALLY ate part of the neck after he turned his nose up at it and had to miss a meal a couple of times. The liver had to be covered in egg. Today he was turning up his nose at the kidneys while I was cutting up the heart. Get it all into one bowl and start feeding him bits of heart and all of a sudden he really likes turkey! Kidneys? Oh those are great too! *Hits head* Some days I could strangle him.

On the other hand, I don't like livers either, but I do love me some yummy heart and tongue!

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
MlizGr
11 Cardinal 11

I might have to try the lightly cooking thing with Payton. So far we've been doing put a little gravy or egg or something on top...

We got the turkey neck and innards for him from Thanksgiving. He FINALLY ate part of the neck after he turned his nose up at it and had to miss a meal a couple of times. The liver had to be covered in egg. Today he was turning up his nose at the kidneys while I was cutting up the heart. Get it all into one bowl and start feeding him bits of heart and all of a sudden he really likes turkey! Kidneys? Oh those are great too! *Hits head* Some days I could strangle him.

On the other hand, I don't like livers either, but I do love me some yummy heart and tongue!

hehe you are a strange one Miz smile

reminds me of Ika when frist trying the raw chicken, didn't really try it until i was on the floor trying to rip the cubes apart smaller so she could just lick them up.... then she was like "oh hey.... this is good...." though she was still like "it isn't breaking apart by chewing......" (still laugh it took her that long to nom down 5, 1 inch cubes of chicken.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Mistress of Rain
MlizGr
11 Cardinal 11

reminds me of Ika when frist trying the raw chicken, didn't really try it until i was on the floor trying to rip the cubes apart smaller so she could just lick them up.... then she was like "oh hey.... this is good...." though she was still like "it isn't breaking apart by chewing......" (still laugh it took her that long to nom down 5, 1 inch cubes of chicken.

God, I have to do that all the time with Payton! All the bloody time! It's because of kibble really. He never actually learned how to chew, and now he has to relearn it and isn't convinced things of a certain size are actually food [unless he decides to dig them from the trash rolleyes Everything from the trash is apparently edible.]

Also, have you tried heart or tongue? I think tongue is actually a little tastier, though I did just get a new heart recipe to try...

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
MlizGr
Mistress of Rain
MlizGr
11 Cardinal 11

God, I have to do that all the time with Payton! All the bloody time! It's because of kibble really. He never actually learned how to chew, and now he has to relearn it and isn't convinced things of a certain size are actually food [unless he decides to dig them from the trash rolleyes Everything from the trash is apparently edible.]

Also, have you tried heart or tongue? I think tongue is actually a little tastier, though I did just get a new heart recipe to try...

I want to get some more chicken for her, and give her another shot at it.

not yet. ><

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Mistress of Rain
MlizGr

I want to get some more chicken for her, and give her another shot at it.

not yet. ><

Keep an eye out for meats that go on sale, you might be able to find legs or something for a good deal.

You must try it! Such yummy stuff! But do not fry tongue... It tastes amazing that way, but it's tough as rubber!

Lonely Browser

8,150 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Why would you feed your dog poison? Did your dog die or did he survive?

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
PrincessMina15
Why would you feed your dog poison? Did your dog die or did he survive?

Clearly you did not read the first post... Do you feed your dog dog food or your cat cat food? What brand? Chances are good you're feeding your pet poison too!

GAH! I was telling someone at work today that I'm working on getting Payton onto a completely raw diet. Apparently my dog will get worms and I'm going to rot his stomach by giving him people food... How has the pet food industry managed to get such crazy ideas running around?!
Have you fed the B.A.R.F. diet? I read up on it but I always get nervous feeding my animals raw meat.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Lupe Garu
Have you fed the B.A.R.F. diet? I read up on it but I always get nervous feeding my animals raw meat.

I currently feed my dog half raw and half kibble, though we're progressing to pure raw [just want to use up the last of the kibble first!] He loves it, he's so much softer, and even the problem teeth he had way in the back are looking wonderful from the bones he gets.

With your worries of feeding your animals raw, if you freeze the meat for a month it will kill the parasites and be safe for your pet. Anyhow, look at pet cats that are allowed to run loose or farm dogs. They eat plenty of raw meat and are just fine. Or look at their very close cousins [possibly more accurate to say brothers and sisters] of wolves and wild cats. They eat raw meat every day and are perfectly healthy. Dogs and cats and ferrets and many other animals are designed to eat raw meat, not the overcooked, over processed products that we get in kibble.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff