Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nocturnal parasite
Oh I wish this could help find me an answer for why we lost a dog..

Any idea if "Bakers"(Purina) contains any of these nasties? It seems likely, considering the list already gathered.

Purina has very few 'good' options, so chances are high that the variation you had contains the nasties.

Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
Nocturnal parasite
Oh I wish this could help find me an answer for why we lost a dog..

Any idea if "Bakers"(Purina) contains any of these nasties? It seems likely, considering the list already gathered.

Purina in any form is either going to be the worst, or next to worst kind of food.

Since Purina owns Alpo (worst), Beneful (also worst), Dog Chow (worst), Pro Plan (next to worst, gets points for meat being the ingredient), Purina One (next to worst), Chef Michael's (next to worst).

In short, all absolutely terrible, I wouldn't feed it to my dogs even if I was desperate.

Without being able to see an actual ingredient list for Bakers (the site is only giving me this odd composition with percentages instead of ingredients, but it looks along the lines of Beneful). I can pretty safely say it is also terrible.
Bubble Shark
So my kitten eats Taste of the Wild, and really likes it~ but it makes him gassy and he poops a TON. Like for real.

Am I feeding too much? I feed him twice a day, probably... 1 cup- 1.5 cups total for the whole day. That's just a guess. He's about 16 weeks, I think.

So what's up with this?

He may be sensitive to one of the ingredients. I don't know what there is for cat options, but perhaps try switching proteins/flavours.

Pumpkin is supposed to help with poop-issues, so you could potentially try giving him a little bit of it (because there's more than you'll need in a can [make sure to use Pure, not Pie], freeze the remainder so it keeps for next time it's needed - ice cube trays are awesome for this, because it freezes it to pretty much a perfect serving portion or two [depending on the tray])

Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
Yeah, the kibbles in Bakers are the same shapes as Beneful (or very similar)

http://www.bakerscomplete.co.uk/Nutrition/WhatsInBakersComplete.aspx (Not a helpful page at all, except to get the shapes of the kibble).

http://www.beneful.com/Dog-Food/Original/

Quote:
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, propylene glycol, meat and bone meal, tricalcium phosphate, phosphoric acid, salt, water, animal digest, sorbic acid (a preservative), potassium chloride, dried carrots, dried peas, calcium propionate (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

The crap that is in Beneful. Lots of grains, almost no meat (by products don't really count), some mystery meat in the form of meat and bone meal, unnecessary/possibly harmful food coloring.

Their 'Healthy Harvest' is even worse.

Quote:
Ground yellow corn, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), soy protein concentrate, soy flour, water, rice flour, pearled barley, sugar, tricalcium phosphate, propylene glycol, animal digest, dicalcium phosphate, salt, phosphoric acid, sorbic acid (a preservative), calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried spinach, dried apples, dried sweet potatoes, choline chloride, calcium propionate (a preservative), added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2, Yellow 6), Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, DL-Methionine, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

No meat, all grains, and the same load of food coloring.

I think it is safe to say at this point. Baker's is probably in the 'worst of the worst' catagory.
Hey, what would you guys rate this food as? http://www.yoghurtplus.com.au/dognutrition/
I'm not interested in feeding it, but is it one of the worst, or just bad?
It is available in australian supermarkets, and it would be good to have something to suggest to other owners that are the type that don't care that much and don't want to spend to much.

2,500 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
isnt that like bad

Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
DeeSpark
Hey, what would you guys rate this food as? http://www.yoghurtplus.com.au/dognutrition/
It is available in australian supermarkets, and it would be good to have something to suggest to other owners that are the type that don't care that much and don't want to spend to much.

On the rankings here. I'd say it would be in the 'okay' range.

It gets points for not having by-products, having a named meat source as the first ingredient, and not having food coloring. It loses all of those points with the s**t load of grains though, which seems to also have a big typo in it (srghum instead of sorghum). So it has five different grains in it.

Not one of the worst, certainly not as bad as Beneful/Pedigree/Alpo/Kibbles and Bits/Ol'Roy.

But right around the level of Iams, Science Diet, and other pretty terrible brands.
Lunarflowermaiden
DeeSpark

On the rankings here. I'd say it would be in the 'okay' range.

It gets points for not having by-products, having a named meat source as the first ingredient, and not having food coloring. It loses all of those points with the s**t load of grains though, which seems to also have a big typo in it (srghum instead of sorghum). So it has five different grains in it.

Not one of the worst, certainly not as bad as Beneful/Pedigree/Alpo/Kibbles and Bits/Ol'Roy.

But right around the level of Iams, Science Diet, and other pretty terrible brands.

hmm that's what I thought. At least it is something, for when I come across lazy owners who don't really care enough about their dogs to go out of their way. This is something that isn't all to expensive and they can pick up while getting their groceries.

Although I also think the brand is just using the yogurt to try and sound different and better then other foods. It's one of the last ingredients listed, and anyone could get the same results from the yogurt, but putting a dob of natural yogurt on their dogs food...
Just looked at my Boots&Barkley treats and first few ingredients are:
Wheat flour
Soy Grits
Water
Corn Flour
Sucrose
Proplyene glycol
Animal fat

Guess who's throwing those away?

Also, are there any treats that anyone would like to recommend?

Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
iiron liion ziion_xx
Just looked at my Boots&Barkley treats and first few ingredients are:
Wheat flour
Soy Grits
Water
Corn Flour
Sucrose
Proplyene glycol
Animal fat

Guess who's throwing those away?

Also, are there any treats that anyone would like to recommend?

Our dogs go absolutely nuts for chicken and duck breast strips, we don't give them biscuits nearly as often, since they love these so much more.

Natural Balance makes some good limited ingredient biscuits. They also make their roll food, which also makes good treats.
Lunarflowermaiden
Our dogs go absolutely nuts for chicken and duck breast strips, we don't give them biscuits nearly as often, since they love these so much more.

Natural Balance makes some good limited ingredient biscuits. They also make their roll food, which also makes good treats.

Like, real and legit chicken and duck breast strips? Do you prepare them a certain way or do you give them to your dogs raw or...?

Desirable Fatcat

What a clever way to lure people into your thread (it certainly got MY attention)! I was shocked to see that most of the common brands in stores are very unhealthy in all actuality. My family and I have a German Shepherd so I think this information will be very beneficial. I'll tell my mom to avoid buying those bad brands!

(I don't recognize any of the brands in the "Great" list though.)

Eloquent Gawker

treasoning
What a clever way to lure people into your thread (it certainly got MY attention)! I was shocked to see that most of the common brands in stores are very unhealthy in all actuality. My family and I have a German Shepherd so I think this information will be very beneficial. I'll tell my mom to avoid buying those bad brands!

(I don't recognize any of the brands in the "Great" list though.)

You will likely have to go to a small, specialty pet store or feed store to locate them. Grocery stores and big box pet stores likely won't have them.

Conservative Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
okay sorry but you poisoned your dog eek

Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
iiron liion ziion_xx
Lunarflowermaiden

Like, real and legit chicken and duck breast strips? Do you prepare them a certain way or do you give them to your dogs raw or...?

Not raw, and we don't prepare them ourselves.

We buy them at pet stores.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4048707

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas