Welcome to Gaia! ::

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

it's a 'designer breed' otherwise known as a very specific mutt. (:

Taco Terrier!

but I may go back to just loving deer head chihuahuas.

I have the same problem with both though,
neither of them are of are of the AKCs breed standard, the taco terrier is not even a breed.

uhg.

how does one go about finding a very specific dog that doesn't have breed standards. >:[

U_U

Dapper Werewolf

Have you tried pet finder? All sorts of Chi mix's show up on there .

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Many times within your post you said 'it's' when you meant 'its'. Remember, the possessive its has no apostrophe. wink

I think it wouldn't be impossible to find a good breeder for designer dogs, but difficult. A good breeder, I think, would have a detailed pedigree at least several generations long and would have their dogs do something/be certified in something, like Canine Good Citizen or certified therapy dog or involved in obedience or anything, really.
But unfortunately I doubt many designer dog breeders do any of that.

What do you think about Mini Pins? They stay under ten pounds and many have erect ears.

Devoted Inquisitor

You're very probably going to have to either support (what I consider) unethical breeders (ones who breed for cash, and don't health test or work their dogs) or watch rescues like a hawk.

It's very unlikely that people who own TFTs and Chis that meet the standard (like, have show titles) are going to breed them together--not only because they very probably are in their breed because they love it, but because you only get a limited number of liters out of a b***h, and chi/TFT litters are teensy, so why would you waste one like that, and risk your female, y'know? So you'd have to find someone who breeds mixes intentionally for the pet market, and in all my googling I've never found someone who does that who also health tests.

If you find someone who breeds Chi-TFT mutts that actually health tests, where's the problem? The issue is that I very much doubt you'll be able to do that.

Devoted Inquisitor

Moth Feathers

What do you think about Mini Pins? They stay under ten pounds and many have erect ears.

I think their ears are cropped to stand, otherwise they flop.

That's always an option too--you could get the puppies ears cropped, and then they'd stand for sure.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Latrans
Moth Feathers

That's always an option too--you could get the puppies ears cropped, and then they'd stand for sure.

I thought that some mini pins can have naturally erect ears, without cropping?

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

Moth Feathers
Many times within your post you said 'it's' when you meant 'its'. Remember, the possessive its has no apostrophe. wink

I think it wouldn't be impossible to find a good breeder for designer dogs, but difficult. A good breeder, I think, would have a detailed pedigree at least several generations long and would have their dogs do something/be certified in something, like Canine Good Citizen or certified therapy dog or involved in obedience or anything, really.
But unfortunately I doubt many designer dog breeders do any of that.

lol thanks, I do that soooo much. it's more when I type and less when I'm actually writing something academically/professionally. sometimes when I only type a little bit I'll go ahead and change it if i catch it. =P I usually catch it when I care, because i love conjunctions and so I usually realize what i've done when I use 'it's' wrong

thanks for y'all replies! I changed the OP because i went searching the internet for them again and got frustrated. so I ran back to 'deer head chi's' which are still hard to find, but not as hard to taco terrier.

I have considered min pins. I have family that has owned like 3 of them, one at a time. they were all different sizes. I considered them a lot because i actually love dobermans, but min pins don't seem to do it for me... though i keep them in mind.

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

Latrans
You're very probably going to have to either support (what I consider) unethical breeders (ones who breed for cash, and don't health test or work their dogs) or watch rescues like a hawk.

It's very unlikely that people who own TFTs and Chis that meet the standard (like, have show titles) are going to breed them together--not only because they very probably are in their breed because they love it, but because you only get a limited number of liters out of a b***h, and chi/TFT litters are teensy, so why would you waste one like that, and risk your female, y'know? So you'd have to find someone who breeds mixes intentionally for the pet market, and in all my googling I've never found someone who does that who also health tests.

If you find someone who breeds Chi-TFT mutts that actually health tests, where's the problem? The issue is that I very much doubt you'll be able to do that.

my thoughts exactly. U.U

frustration has lead me back to deer head chis, although I think that would be hard to find too. but not as hard because real breeders MIGHT have them (I think) okay maybe not.. cause i don't think deer chihuahuas are good show quality.

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

Moth Feathers
Latrans
Moth Feathers

my aunt has had three, the first one had it's ears cropped, the 2nd wasn't cropped and stayed floppy, the 3rd I haven't seen recently so I don't know if it's ears are up or not, but they are not cropped and looked like they were starting to stand up last time I saw the dog, but I have no idea now.

I don't think erect ears are ever for sure on a min pin unless they are cropped

Devoted Inquisitor

Moth Feathers
Latrans
Moth Feathers

That very well might be true. Looking at google images, some are cropped for sure, some flop, and some look naturally erect. I think you're right.
Well there are hybrid breed clubs, but I don't really know that I'd trust their standards without doing tons of research on the breeders themselves. Personally, I think the toy fox terrier pure breeds are ADORABLE and I wouldn't want a "Taco Terrier" because they are not guaranteed which parent they will take after more etc. Plus sometimes they will breed a hybrid to a pure breed, and then you have more like 75% of one breed rather than the other.... I just wouldn't get one.

Devoted Inquisitor

Eri fox

my thoughts exactly. U.U

frustration has lead me back to deer head chis, although I think that would be hard to find too. but not as hard because real breeders MIGHT have them (I think) okay maybe not.. cause i don't think deer chihuahuas are good show quality.

I think it depends on what you mean by real breeder. Honestly, I feel like there's two kinds of breeders; ones I'd buy a dog from and ones I wouldn't. You have to decide where that line is for you. Chis can have some very real, very serious health problems, and some of them are hereditary. But, if there is a certain look you must have (which honestly I think its a little shallow, but the dogs I like have such extreme personalities that looks have to be completely secondary--I don't even like sable dogs that much. Shh, don't tell Elsie, lol. I like tris and black dogs) then you'll just have to do extra hunting to find the right dog coming from a location you can support. You're the one who has to live with the dog, not us.

Have you gone to shows and talked to people there? I know you may not want a show dog, and that's fine, but when I was trying to narrow down which breeds I liked, I found it extremely helpful, because you get to actually meet the dogs, talk to handlers/owners, and really hear what the dogs are like. I never would have picked a Terv based on youtube videos and breed descriptions, but going out and actually meeting them, I realized they're just about perfect for me. There's a lot of warning people off the breed (tervs) and for good reason. In 99% of homes, Elsie would be a disaster. But, they're not soul sucking monsters out to eat everyone, lol, obvs. Going out and actually meeting some people/dogs might help you--even if it's just to go, "Oh wait no, I really REALLY don't want a Toy Fox Terrier." Plus, it's crazy amounts of fun. Just remember not to go up to people before they go into the ring. Then they'll eat you.
What are you looking for in a dog? I sort of get the feeling you are more concerned with flat out looks than temperament.

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

Latrans
Eri fox

my thoughts exactly. U.U

I think it depends on what you mean by real breeder. Honestly, I feel like there's two kinds of breeders; ones I'd buy a dog from and ones I wouldn't. You have to decide where that line is for you. Chis can have some very real, very serious health problems, and some of them are hereditary. But, if there is a certain look you must have (which honestly I think its a little shallow, but the dogs I like have such extreme personalities that looks have to be completely secondary--I don't even like sable dogs that much. Shh, don't tell Elsie, lol. I like tris and black dogs) then you'll just have to do extra hunting to find the right dog coming from a location you can support. You're the one who has to live with the dog, not us.

Have you gone to shows and talked to people there? I know you may not want a show dog, and that's fine, but when I was trying to narrow down which breeds I liked, I found it extremely helpful, because you get to actually meet the dogs, talk to handlers/owners, and really hear what the dogs are like. I never would have picked a Terv based on youtube videos and breed descriptions, but going out and actually meeting them, I realized they're just about perfect for me. There's a lot of warning people off the breed (tervs) and for good reason. In 99% of homes, Elsie would be a disaster. But, they're not soul sucking monsters out to eat everyone, lol, obvs. Going out and actually meeting some people/dogs might help you--even if it's just to go, "Oh wait no, I really REALLY don't want a Toy Fox Terrier." Plus, it's crazy amounts of fun. Just remember not to go up to people before they go into the ring. Then they'll eat you.

thanks for the advice. ^_^

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

Krissim Klaw
What are you looking for in a dog? I sort of get the feeling you are more concerned with flat out looks than temperament.

I've got a look I adore that can be found in a dog that fits my lifestyle and personality when it comes to deer chihuahuas.

If it were down to looks alone, I would have a corgi or something. But for me, the perfect dog is small and easy to pick up and carry if I have to (unlike my laptop stressed ) (small also helps with affording shampoo and food and renting and traveling), doesn't have long hair or double coats, white nails help a lot with trimming them (min pins usually have black nails), and is not too high energy.

I have owned a lot of terrier mixes and labs, and known a lot of herding dogs, and hounds. I really prefer chihuahua temperament. the sweet version of their temperament, not the scared, yappy, spoiled, nippy, untrained version of their temperament.

aaand yeah it probably seems like I'm obsessing over looks, but I've had dogs all my life and all of them have always been family mutts, except Cookie, she's my first dog on my own. but she's still a mutt. So I've never had a dog with a certain breed look before, ever. so I'm a little enamored, that's all.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff