Welcome to Gaia! ::

So, my sister-in-law got a Husky puppy a few months ago from a terrible breeder (I've seen their website... Ugh.)
Ignorance is one thing, but we've taught her SO much about good breeding and even sent her contact information for good, reputable breeders before she got him. But since this breeder was "cheaper" she went through them. She payed $700.00 for this pup, when she could have payed $900.00 for a pet quality pup from a GOOD breeder.
What's even more frustrating? She's thinking about breeding him in the future since he's "so sweet and pretty". She doesn't understand that "vet checked" parents, does NOT mean health-tested.

He's only five months old, but he already 'fear bites' and is skittish, even with all the socialization he's been getting. I groomed him for her last night, and his under-coat on his back-end was extremely matted and he bit me at every slight tug...

You'd think she'd learn, since her last Husky that died at the age of two, had temperament issues and the beginning stages of hip-dysplasia.

She got this puppy knowing she was about to have a baby, too, and I feel that's really irresponsible.

Anyways, here are pictures of him (sorry I don't have better ones). Not saying he's not cute... But not only is he too big, but his coat type is completely wrong., he has bad pasterns, his shoulder lay is too far forward and he has hardly any front. Also, you can't tell from the pictures, but his tail completely curls over the back.

I just had to rant/vent. :/

User Image

User Image

User Image

Sparkly Nerd

28,925 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Brandisher 100
She paid good money for a poorly-bred dog, she's keeping him outside, AND she wants to breed him???

If I were you, I would have taken him to a spay/neuter clinic and gotten him neutered when I was supposedly grooming him. I would've said that he'd gotten out and ran away, then claimed to have found him when his neutering was done; if she asked where he was.

Pretty does not mean breeding quality... I would've loved to breed my kitty (in my signature) to another spotted kitty; but her temperament is horrid, I have no clue about her genetics, and it's just a bad idea with so many sweet tempered kitties being put down in shelters because of over population. So I got her spayed.. And while I'm not sure if it was the best idea (she's an indoor only, solo cat; and has had a few issues since her spay), I don't' want to risk her escaping during one of her walks and having a litter (she was a feral kitten when I got her, and she reverts when she get outside off-leash).
She doesn't keep him outside, but she lives in an apartment (that she's getting kicked out of because he's on the breed restriction list. She didn't even ask them before she got him)

However, she always kept her other dogs outside when she had a house (They did come inside at times, to be fair). The two-year-old I mentioned before, died of heartworms... He was also always covered in fleas, and only got groomed when my fiance or I groomed him for her. She would 'brush him' but never long enough to count, let alone often enough.
Whenever we groomed him, as we were brushing him, sometimes he'd deficate on himself and bit at us. We specialize in aggressive dogs, and we still had to muzzle him. And he'd also have dried blood all over him from flea and tick bites..
She's even had animal control called on her, and they never did anything about it.

Sorry for writing so much.. Nobody that matters around here, will believe us. Or they (like animal control) just don't care.

I think we could get in a lot of legal trouble if we neutered him and brought him back to her. :/

Feline Bookworm

Darn. It really sounds like she shouldn't be having any pets at all.
Why did she get another dog? What was her reasoning behind it/what is she getting out of having him?
I don't know what I'd do if I were you. I wish you luck though!
Literatic
Darn. It really sounds like she shouldn't be having any pets at all.
Why did she get another dog? What was her reasoning behind it/what is she getting out of having him?
I don't know what I'd do if I were you. I wish you luck though!

She "wanted another Husky". I'm pretty sure she gets them for looks and the attention she gets from having them.
She cried when her other Husky died, but after that, it seems like she just didn't care... My dog Zen passed away a few months before he did from ataxia (he was a rescue AmStaff), and I STILL cry about it.. This was around 2yrs ago.
The only reason she had the money at all is because she got money from her Nana passing away.. Neither her or her BF have jobs. :/

Questionable Prophet

Maybe when the baby comes you can convince her to take him to a sanctuary or take him in yourself or find a new owner for him. Maybe having a kid will help her grow up.

There such beautiful dogs I understand why anyone would want one.Still, it's obvious that they're such high maintenance and not for everyone.

For grooming have you just thought about shaving him? I mean, that's not too pretty, but that gets rid of the need of grooming for about 4 months. I know it may take time for him to get used to the clipper, but it's something to consider.

I see a lot of Persians come in with near whole body mats.
And I don't understand at all. Like, you literally chose a breed with super long, dense hair, who are so chill for grooming and you don't groom it?
Desi the fuzzy fluffhead
Maybe when the baby comes you can convince her to take him to a sanctuary or take him in yourself or find a new owner for him. Maybe having a kid will help her grow up.

There such beautiful dogs I understand why anyone would want one.Still, it's obvious that they're such high maintenance and not for everyone.

For grooming have you just thought about shaving him? I mean, that's not too pretty, but that gets rid of the need of grooming for about 4 months. I know it may take time for him to get used to the clipper, but it's something to consider.

I see a lot of Persians come in with near whole body mats.
And I don't understand at all. Like, you literally chose a breed with super long, dense hair, who are so chill for grooming and you don't groom it?

We can't take him, as our landlord does not want any more animals in the house.. She wouldn't let him go, anyways. In her eyes, she is amazing with him and he's so well taken care of... :/

She already has a 6yr old daughter with another guy.. She got pregnant after leaving her husband, just a few months later with another man.. I won't go into that, but it's obvious that she isn't going to grow up any time soon.

She's one of those people who 'never does anything wrong. Everyone else is wrong, and if bad things happen to her, it's never her fault.' Oh all the things I could say about her... Including posing her dead ferret for pictures to post on FB, because she realized she didn't have any pictures of him before he died.. And then tossing his body out of the kitchen window and letting his body bloat and break down, just feet from where her other dog and child played every day..

Anyways. She also won't allow him to be shaved. We've offered. We got the mats out.. But it's a pain.. for us AND him. Not to mention, he's already covered in fleas.
I've tried talking to her about it, but she completely and obviously ignored me.

I don't get it either... I enjoy grooming my animals. If you don't, either get something easier to care for, take it to the groomer more often, or just don't get anything at all.

I've even tried pushing her out of my life, but she always ends up coming back because the whole family begs and constantly asks for us to talk to her and forgive her. We live in a small town, where everyone does everything for her and we run into her everywhere, too.

I'm going crazy because of this person...

It's sad that this stuff doesn't even come close to all the bad things she's done with her/other peoples animals. The list goes on and on.

Questionable Prophet

ParrotTamer

We can't take him, as our landlord does not want any more animals in the house.. She wouldn't let him go, anyways. In her eyes, she is amazing with him and he's so well taken care of... :/

She already has a 6yr old daughter with another guy.. She got pregnant after leaving her husband, just a few months later with another man.. I won't go into that, but it's obvious that she isn't going to grow up any time soon.

She's one of those people who 'never does anything wrong. Everyone else is wrong, and if bad things happen to her, it's never her fault.' Oh all the things I could say about her... Including posing her dead ferret for pictures to post on FB, because she realized she didn't have any pictures of him before he died.. And then tossing his body out of the kitchen window and letting his body bloat and break down, just feet from where her other dog and child played every day..

Anyways. She also won't allow him to be shaved. We've offered. We got the mats out.. But it's a pain.. for us AND him. Not to mention, he's already covered in fleas.
I've tried talking to her about it, but she completely and obviously ignored me.

I don't get it either... I enjoy grooming my animals. If you don't, either get something easier to care for, take it to the groomer more often, or just don't get anything at all.

I've even tried pushing her out of my life, but she always ends up coming back because the whole family begs and constantly asks for us to talk to her and forgive her. We live in a small town, where everyone does everything for her and we run into her everywhere, too.

I'm going crazy because of this person...

It's sad that this stuff doesn't even come close to all the bad things she's done with her/other peoples animals. The list goes on and on.

emotion_0A0 She sounds sick. Like actually. When I was younger I let someone baby sit my ferret and her two year old ended up tossing him in the hot tub while she was sleeping and then the mother promptly put him in a box and threw him into the field next door and then refused to answer my phone calls. The survival of her children is nothing short of a miracle.

Try calling animal control on her. At least when something serious happens, they'll have complaints filed and they can do something.

Have you tried being blunt with her. Like just straight out telling her you killed your last dog and you're not really doing too awesome with this one?

I'd tell her and the family I'll see her on holidays and leave it at that. She sounds like a pain.
Like what's more nerve wracking? Dealing with her? Or dealing with the consequences that not dealing with her causes?

Super Fairy

11,750 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
Your sister is kinda dumb. At least pet care-wise. And irresponsible. She shouldn't have a dog she can't brush on the daily. Especially a husky.

I feel so sad when I see dogs belong to irresponsible owners. sad

I don't have any advice, but I hope you figure something out soon!

Oh my goodness. D: That's exactly one of the reasons that I won't ever own a husky, even though they are so gorgeous and can be such sweet tempered dogs. I don't have the time to brush them nearly as often as they need it. I currently have two short hair cats ( both tabby, unsure of their lineage ) and a rescued Stafford-shire Terrier thing. xD I can't brush him very often though. He's got really sensitive skin and develops horrible dandruff when brushed too often. We think he was inbred. : / He's a rescue.
gaia_nitemareleft Yikes...very irresponsible. gaia_nitemareright

I got my golden retriever from a pet store here in town. Turns out he came from a puppy mill. At the time I bought him, I didn't know a whole lot about puppy mills, but knowing what I do now I would NEVER purchase another dog from a pet store or any breeder without doing my research first. He has had SO many health issues over his short life (he's 4) and I made sure the first thing I did was get him neutered.

Some people just don't get it...they think just because the dog is cute that they will make cute puppies and if they give them a good home they won't have health issues. Has she not heard of the word 'hereditary'? I did a ton of research before I purchased my Welsh Corgi because of all the health issues they can have...why not spend a couple hundred dollars more for a quality dog instead of one that will most likely end up dying at a young age or having expensive health issues?

Demonic Ladykiller

12,550 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
It's very unfair that she brought this dog into a bad situation. If he's acting out, nipping, poorly trained etc, then that's unfair no matter how much money you spend on him. He needs a LOT of exercise, and hearing she's going to have a child and it's biting people, that's a big red flag. It's unfair to the dog AND The child. She needs to give him up, just because you can house him doesn't mean he's the right dog for your house. And breeding? I don't need to say anything about that. It speaks for its self.

Kitten

I understand where you're coming from with just about everything that you're having issues with expect for one thing. How long she's waited to get another dog. So what? Great you took two years before you got another one. But your sister inlaw isn't you, and there isn't any set amount of time that a person is suppose to grieve before moving on. For people or pets.

As for the rest maybe if there actually is problems you could take pictures and turn them into the proper people. Because if you don't actually have proof it's all hearsay from you and your fiance..
I meant that she didn't grieve at all. She cried when it happened, and that was that. She even joked about it saying things like "well, at least I don't have to brush him anymore." and other things like that. It's not that she got over it quickly, it's that she gets these animals as decoration in my opinion and she doesn't care for them.

I wish I could get him away from her, but I really think if it happened, she would just go get another one.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff