Welcome to Gaia! ::

I got my baby Ferret about a month ago. Her name is Nina and she's only 3 months old.
I been trying to get the answer on when do I clip her claws? like is it to early to clip them at her age or does it matter? I know how to clip them though. Her claws are getting a little long and sharp.

Also I would like to know how to get Nina to be more comfortable with water, like giving her a bath. Any tips that may help me and help her so she's not under a lot of stress.

EDIT;
Here's a picture of her. X if anyone would want to see her. This isn't a recent picture, this is when I got her about a month ago. She's so cute. She's a Sable Ferret. Then next in a few months I'm going to get a Black Sable Ferret hope fully. So she can have a play mate to play with. smile especially when I'm not home which isn't a lot. lol. The Black Sable is going to be male. Also she's a video of her playing she's kind of tired out already. xD and I was sick in this video. ._. Sooo didn't talk. Soo just mute the video and you don't have to hear my horrible voice.... I seriously sounded like one of the rug rats in the beginning. xp

Man-Hungry Citizen

18,725 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
go to a pet shop and ask
Lil Anti-Christ
go to a pet shop and ask

ya like as petco? when they don't even take care of their animals properly. ._. When I got nina from there her cage along with her brothers was in their own fesses and they were covered in it as well.
If her nails are long enough to clip, it wouldn't hurt her to have the nails trimmed a bit. If they're too tiny and you're afraid of cutting them, you can always use a nail file and file down the sharp tips of them.

For a bath, I'd let her just stand in some shallow water one day. Enough that she can get her feet wet, but that she isn't going to be soaked in (unless she decides to splash it everywhere). If your bathtub is like mine, one side is higher than the other. One ferret doesn't like getting deep in the water and stays about 'knee' height. The other goes to the deeper part and swims around. Also, it might be a bit weird, but put on a bathing suit and sit in the tub with her for the first time. She's probably pretty little still and scared, so if she likes being around you, she might feel safer if you're near her while she's near the water.

Man-Hungry Citizen

18,725 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Toxic Emo 17
Lil Anti-Christ
go to a pet shop and ask

ya like as petco? when they don't even take care of their animals properly. ._. When I got nina from there her cage along with her brothers was in their own fesses and they were covered in it as well.
DX never go to petco they never treat there animals right. . I would go to pet smart or a local pet store or a feed store or something like that emotion_c8

Devoted Inquisitor

We need pictures. 4laugh

Otherwise, you should PM Henrika or maybe Skeksis. They're very knowledgeable.
Lil Anti-Christ
Toxic Emo 17
Lil Anti-Christ
go to a pet shop and ask

DX never go to petco they never treat there animals right. . I would go to pet smart or a local pet store or a feed store or something like that emotion_c8

that's where I got Nina, pet smart don't have ferrets. and there's none that I know of around me besides petco. but even them I can't get there. xp
Congrats! We do need pictures.... wink

She is old enough to have her claws clipped so if they are too sharp go ahead. I did my little kits at around 10 weeks because it felt as though they had needles instead of nails. smile

To get her used to baths put some warm [body temperature] water in either your sink or a tray...enough that she can touch the bottom without trying to swim. You can treat her with something tasty when you put her in so she develops a positive association, or distract her with toys. Most kits will happily play in warm water. smile
I wouldn't worry about stressing her too much, though; most ferrets are very capable of dealing with minor stressors such as a bath.

P.S, The more you bath her the more she will smell. Baths are best saved for when she gets into something really horrible, but she can play in warm, plain water as often as she likes and it won't effect her coat.
Technicolor Rave
If her nails are long enough to clip, it wouldn't hurt her to have the nails trimmed a bit. If they're too tiny and you're afraid of cutting them, you can always use a nail file and file down the sharp tips of them.

For a bath, I'd let her just stand in some shallow water one day. Enough that she can get her feet wet, but that she isn't going to be soaked in (unless she decides to splash it everywhere). If your bathtub is like mine, one side is higher than the other. One ferret doesn't like getting deep in the water and stays about 'knee' height. The other goes to the deeper part and swims around. Also, it might be a bit weird, but put on a bathing suit and sit in the tub with her for the first time. She's probably pretty little still and scared, so if she likes being around you, she might feel safer if you're near her while she's near the water.

Ok I wasn't sure. lol. I have clippers. I'll probably just file them down for now, cus I never clipped claws before. sweatdrop

Ok, I'll do that. She already had her first bath and it didn't go as well as I thought it would. xp Ya my bath tub does the same thing. lol. Well that sounds reasonable really. It's like when your scared of drowning when you didn't know how to swim. or when you were a baby. (At least I was like that lol) I can always try that. especially when her claws get less sharp. xp

Thank you for the advice. smile
Skeksis
Congrats! We do need pictures.... wink

She is old enough to have her claws clipped so if they are too sharp go ahead. I did my little kits at around 10 weeks because it felt as though they had needles instead of nails. smile

To get her used to baths put some warm [body temperature] water in either your sink or a tray...enough that she can touch the bottom without trying to swim. You can treat her with something tasty when you put her in so she develops a positive association, or distract her with toys. Most kits will happily play in warm water. smile
I wouldn't worry about stressing her too much, though; most ferrets are very capable of dealing with minor stressors such as a bath.

P.S, The more you bath her the more she will smell. Baths are best saved for when she gets into something really horrible, but she can play in warm, plain water as often as she likes and it won't effect her coat.

I have a picture of her on my DA account. That's when I got her though. lol. I have to upload a recent one of her. smile

Ok. Ya they do feel like needles, it hurts. That's why I wanted to know xp.

I'll give that a try as well. lol I got her some bandit treats but she wont even eat then so that's not gonna work. xp intill i get her something she likes. lol. She just stands there in the water and try to get out of the tub. Well that is good to hear that she can deal with it.

That would have been nice to know when I got her lol. She had 3 baths within the month that i have had her. But that is good that I can still let her play in water and it wont effect that.

Thanks for the advice. smile

EDIT; BTW here's the picture. It would be easier for you to find her like this lol. She's sleeping in her cage this is when I first got her. X
Latrans
We need pictures. 4laugh

Otherwise, you should PM Henrika or maybe Skeksis. They're very knowledgeable.

Here's a picture of her. This is when I got her. she's sleeping in her cage. smile X
I let her stay out of her cage a lot, but don't trust it when I'm sleeping cus I'm still trying to get her litter trained lol. and ok. ^^ I'll give them a PM here soon. Thank you.

Thirteenth Bilge rat

29,025 Points
  • Fusion Apprentice 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
When you get another, try the SPCA. They do occasionally get ferrets in. Don't go to Petco. They suck- as you already know. I'd look for a reputable breeder. Sure they're more expensive, but for a healthy and happy animal, I'd pay extra.

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Toxic Emo 17

I know this isn't what you were asking for in the thread... but Make sure you are feeding her good food (not marshal's stuff). Grain free/fish free cat food is a good choice to switch her too, or even to a raw mix... but since ferrets imprint on their food it might be hard to get her to change just have to keep trying. Think Henrika has some good tips on transitioning ferrets to other food.
Toxic Emo 17

I let her stay out of her cage a lot, but don't trust it when I'm sleeping cus I'm still trying to get her litter trained lol. and ok. ^^ I'll give them a PM here soon. Thank you.

My ferrets are a b***h when it comes to being out and using the litter box. >> They might use it for the first day, but after that, the girl won't get in it to use the bathroom. She doesn't like it being just a little dirty, so she'll poop RIGHT outside the box -.- My male wants to play in it.
So I usually have them outside during the day. If they poop in the grass, it's no problem xD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff