Welcome to Gaia! ::

JocelynElizabeth
Dont forget medical expenses.
Just one of my cat cost my well over 1,000$ within the past 7 months and we still arent done getting her treated.
Another one is about over 500$ within the last year and they are all under 3 years old.

Do more research an show it to your mom and tell her your plans with the cat and you future with it. Or you can do what I did. I waited till I moved out to get a cat... Or two lol
Or you could end up with a random chronic illness. One of my cats was diagnosed with epilepsy when she was three years old. She's now 8 and has been on meds every since, and will continue to have to have her meds since they are pretty much a forever thing. We were lowering the dose with approval of our vet, and she had another seizure last week so we had to put them up higher again. SIGH.

3,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Henrika
JocelynElizabeth
Just one of my cat cost my well over 1,000$ within the past 7 months and we still arent done getting her treated.
Another one is about over 500$ within the last year and they are all under 3 years old.

Do more research an show it to your mom and tell her your plans with the cat and you future with it. Or you can do what I did. I waited till I moved out to get a cat... Or two lol
Or you could end up with a random chronic illness. One of my cats was diagnosed with epilepsy when she was three years old. Shes now 8 and has been on meds every since, and will continue to have to have her meds since they are pretty much a forever thing. We were lowering the dose with approval of our vet, and she had another seizure last week so we had to put them up higher again. SIGH.

Yeah :c oh gosh does it suck. She doesnt have epilepsy she has http://www.mypetsdentist.com/site/view/110772_FelinecatStomaitits.pml
Figure that would be much easier than me explaining. We try brushing her teeth but she wouldnt let me because of the pain, she wouldnt eat her dental treats and the stuff we put in her water only helps so much. We are putting money together to get her teeth removed. Her vet said this is the only option left :/
Thats one of the bad things about getting a pet is that you never know what they may develope. But hopefully youre prepared to help it through it.
Man medication for that long? I refuse to keep myself on medication for more than a months time. Any bad side effects with it?
We cant do the medication route with Patches, apparently for her case it only pauses it for a short amount of time and isnt good to keep her on. :/

Chatty Cat

12,000 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
Theres is a great deal of reasons why people dont want a cat. Allergies, they have misconceptions about the smell and hygine of cats, etc etc etc. My fiance pulled every single one of these with me so I decided to drop the issue and was prepared to live a kitty free life. Then for xmas he went and brought me home a maine coon tabby. To whom I am not allergic to, is well behaved most of the time, and totally put my fiances prejudice ideas away about cats.

Cats are a big responsibility. Maybe your mom believes your not ready for a cat? Or perhaps she doesnt want to get stuck with feeding it while your at school? Ask her and be patient. smile

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
Moth Feathers
Mistress of Rain
Do you know if the school you are going to after college requires freshmen (I refuse to be PC), to live on campus of a year or not?
But other than that... it is HER house suck it up and wait until you move out on your own.

Rain! Been wondering where you've been.
Also, what does PC stand for?

politically correct.

And yeah been roleplaying recently on my older account.

1,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
If you do convince your mother to get you a cat just make sure you adopt your new best friend from the shelter! I'm a foster mom for kittens and right around this time we get flooded with abandoned babies who need a loving home.

ps. you should get a cat because they a more independent than a dog but can learn tricks and are very loving IF treated nicely.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Henrika
~ Aki - Fairy ~
What brand of food do you intend to feed? Feeding dry, how will you make sure the cat gets enough water?
Are you aware of the dangers of having an outdoor cat and how much it compromises their health and lifespan?
Just because the parents are well-behaved doesn't mean the kitten will be. Kitten are curious creatures and frequently get into trouble. Knowledge isn't inherited, it's taught. If you can teach a kitten all about how to behave properly just using a firm no (never touching it to redirect it where you want, not treating), I'd be impressed. I won't believe such is possible until I see it, though.

Apartments have rules about animals/animal friendly apartments can be a lot harder to find and thus cost more. The costs they're quoting are almost undoubtedly an "if you live in residence"
I'm not in the mood to find a calculator and do the math, but I'm pretty sure you're forgetting about taxes and other deductions
You also have to keep in mind that the cost of living is just going to continue to go up. By the time you're ready to move out, it's going to cost more than it does now.
The whole "I'm going to work while I'm in school" is often easier said than done, especially with more intense programs. Not saying you won't work during your school years, but you'll be limited in how much time you can work, and if you're in school full time, at work part time, devoting a few hours a day to study, and still taking care of yourself (cooking, cleaning, sleeping 8 hours a night, etc..) the amount of time you're going to be able to devote to an animal will be quite limited.
Government is likely to help people who are as well off as you're sounding; financial situation also affects what scholarships you can actually get.
I just wanna point out - I am a full time Uni student, and work 20+ hours a week on top of a very demanding program, and I am STILL broke. Plus I live in a student co-op, which doesn't allow pets, though that will hopefully change, as I am on the wait list to move into the pet-friendly rooms. But key words there - wait list, is your mom going to be ok to care for your cat while you are at school? (directed to OP) It sounds like that won't be the case.

Heh Currently I'm towards the end of my stay here at school but working 30+ hours a week and all that I'm having to weasle my way out of one class cause I'm failing it right now... and I'm still broke...got to love how we earn this money but it still goes poof smile
JocelynElizabeth
Henrika
JocelynElizabeth

Or you could end up with a random chronic illness. One of my cats was diagnosed with epilepsy when she was three years old. Shes now 8 and has been on meds every since, and will continue to have to have her meds since they are pretty much a forever thing. We were lowering the dose with approval of our vet, and she had another seizure last week so we had to put them up higher again. SIGH.

Yeah :c oh gosh does it suck. She doesnt have epilepsy she has http://www.mypetsdentist.com/site/view/110772_FelinecatStomaitits.pml
Figure that would be much easier than me explaining. We try brushing her teeth but she wouldnt let me because of the pain, she wouldnt eat her dental treats and the stuff we put in her water only helps so much. We are putting money together to get her teeth removed. Her vet said this is the only option left :/
Thats one of the bad things about getting a pet is that you never know what they may develope. But hopefully youre prepared to help it through it.
Man medication for that long? I refuse to keep myself on medication for more than a months time. Any bad side effects with it?
We cant do the medication route with Patches, apparently for her case it only pauses it for a short amount of time and isnt good to keep her on. :/
Side effects of her meds, Phenobarbital, include disorientation and feelings of constant hunger, which is why is a bit overweight, though switching her to a high protein high fat diet has actually help her out a lot, since it sustains more. But honestly the moment you put food of any kind into a bowl she thinks its dinnertime >.<

The disorientation, supposedly they just get used to it, but the first few months of her going on the medication it was hard because she would fall off of things all the time so we had to watch her and pick her up off of tables etc. And even when you set her down it took a little longer for her to find her feet and feel secure.

That was why we were reducing her dosage, because it's not a fun drug, but as I said before, I guess we lowered it too much and she had another seizure. As crappy as being on meds is, having full blown horrible seizures is so much worse. We really thought she was dying the first time it was horrible.
Mistress of Rain
Henrika
~ Aki - Fairy ~
What brand of food do you intend to feed? Feeding dry, how will you make sure the cat gets enough water?
Are you aware of the dangers of having an outdoor cat and how much it compromises their health and lifespan?
Just because the parents are well-behaved doesn't mean the kitten will be. Kitten are curious creatures and frequently get into trouble. Knowledge isn't inherited, it's taught. If you can teach a kitten all about how to behave properly just using a firm no (never touching it to redirect it where you want, not treating), I'd be impressed. I won't believe such is possible until I see it, though.

Apartments have rules about animals/animal friendly apartments can be a lot harder to find and thus cost more. The costs they're quoting are almost undoubtedly an "if you live in residence"
I'm not in the mood to find a calculator and do the math, but I'm pretty sure you're forgetting about taxes and other deductions
You also have to keep in mind that the cost of living is just going to continue to go up. By the time you're ready to move out, it's going to cost more than it does now.
The whole "I'm going to work while I'm in school" is often easier said than done, especially with more intense programs. Not saying you won't work during your school years, but you'll be limited in how much time you can work, and if you're in school full time, at work part time, devoting a few hours a day to study, and still taking care of yourself (cooking, cleaning, sleeping 8 hours a night, etc..) the amount of time you're going to be able to devote to an animal will be quite limited.
Government is likely to help people who are as well off as you're sounding; financial situation also affects what scholarships you can actually get.
I just wanna point out - I am a full time Uni student, and work 20+ hours a week on top of a very demanding program, and I am STILL broke. Plus I live in a student co-op, which doesn't allow pets, though that will hopefully change, as I am on the wait list to move into the pet-friendly rooms. But key words there - wait list, is your mom going to be ok to care for your cat while you are at school? (directed to OP) It sounds like that won't be the case.

Heh Currently I'm towards the end of my stay here at school but working 30+ hours a week and all that I'm having to weasle my way out of one class cause I'm failing it right now... and I'm still broke...got to love how we earn this money but it still goes poof smile
Uggh in my three years of uni, the first class I've had to drop was this semester. Because of that, I'm splitting up my next year into two years so that I can work more to be less broke. (Hopefully)

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Henrika
Mistress of Rain
Henrika
~ Aki - Fairy ~

Uggh in my three years of uni, the first class I've had to drop was this semester. Because of that, I'm splitting up my next year into two years so that I can work more to be less broke. (Hopefully)

hehe... just found out that my class I'm going to be dropping may get dropped from being taught... so get to really bug my advisor on to what can replace it. But either way I'm working full time this summer (with maybe a class second half).

But yeah overall OP needs to think a bit more about it, and I got to say I was lucky with Ika that her asthma is so mild that she doesn't need meds.. if she had she would of been found a human that could provide such things. though Facebook made me sad... one of the senior cats (10+ years old) I had been looking at before Ika is still at the rescue crying I really hope she finds a home.
Mistress of Rain
Henrika
Mistress of Rain
Henrika
~ Aki - Fairy ~

hehe... just found out that my class I'm going to be dropping may get dropped from being taught... so get to really bug my advisor on to what can replace it. But either way I'm working full time this summer (with maybe a class second half).

But yeah overall OP needs to think a bit more about it, and I got to say I was lucky with Ika that her asthma is so mild that she doesn't need meds.. if she had she would of been found a human that could provide such things. though Facebook made me sad... one of the senior cats (10+ years old) I had been looking at before Ika is still at the rescue crying I really hope she finds a home.
I know I always feel so bad for the senior cats at shelters sad Honeycake was the only cat we actually went to the SPCA to pick out, and we ALMOST adopted a 10year old black cat named Sparky. He was so cute, but was really depressed because he ended up at the shelter because his owner died of old age, and none of his relatives could take Sparky. But another family got there before us and already had him in a carrier and filling out the paperwork for him, so we got Honeycake instead.

All our other cats we sort of got because of the timing, not because we were specifically in the market for a new cat haha. Though with Misty my parents had actually been wanting to get a dog for sometime, but then we got a cat and we all decided we were cat people.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Henrika
Mistress of Rain
Henrika
Mistress of Rain
Henrika
~ Aki - Fairy ~

I know I always feel so bad for the senior cats at shelters sad Honeycake was the only cat we actually went to the SPCA to pick out, and we ALMOST adopted a 10year old black cat named Sparky. He was so cute, but was really depressed because he ended up at the shelter because his owner died of old age, and none of his relatives could take Sparky. But another family got there before us and already had him in a carrier and filling out the paperwork for him, so we got Honeycake instead.

All our other cats we sort of got because of the timing, not because we were specifically in the market for a new cat haha. Though with Misty my parents had actually been wanting to get a dog for sometime, but then we got a cat and we all decided we were cat people.

Yeah, I was looking for a cat, and was fine with getting a more laid back senior who was just to be that furry face you see, but when Ika needed a home, and it was either a new human or the farm.... I couldn't let her be tossed out on the farm.... Blanche at least has a roof over her head, and can deal with other kitties... Ika at the time wouldn't of been able to deal with being abandoned like that and what little trust she did have in humans would of been destroyed...so over all I think I made the right pick, but know when ever I get another cat after Ika... and possibly jake, I want some one older.
Mistress of Rain

Yeah, I was looking for a cat, and was fine with getting a more laid back senior who was just to be that furry face you see, but when Ika needed a home, and it was either a new human or the farm.... I couldn't let her be tossed out on the farm.... Blanche at least has a roof over her head, and can deal with other kitties... Ika at the time wouldn't of been able to deal with being abandoned like that and what little trust she did have in humans would of been destroyed...so over all I think I made the right pick, but know when ever I get another cat after Ika... and possibly jake, I want some one older.
For me it will depend... if I get another cat and it's a moggie, I will adopt a senior for sure, but if I decide I want a purebred cat, I will obviously be getting a kitten and then it will probably be an Abyssinian or an SBT Savannah smile

In all honesty... I don't see myself getting another moggie anytime soon. I have Rolo and Junebug already, so I MIGHT get another cat in 4-5years, but its def gonna be a purebred, I want to show it and stuff.

There serval will only come in ten years or so, IF I am lucky and can afford a house by then.

Hunter

My siblings and I never asked for permission to keep cats...we just brought home stray kittens all the time and my parents would fall in love with them while we "looked for new homes for them" lol.

5,900 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
I always pulled the whole "Mom look what I found! Can we keep it??!!" With puppy dog eyes. Yes that worked every time.

I once found a fluffy orange tabby in the middle of the freeway and forced my brother to stop. The little guy wasn't even hurt but he was very malnourished and dehydrated. He looked to be about 2-3 weeks old. So on the way home he stopped by the pet store got a kitten bottle and some formula and we nourished him back to health. My mom didn't know about it till the kitten was all healthy about 3 weeks later. She did not like it at first but once I told her that he was litter box trained and that I had trained him she said okie dokie. He is my little prince...I call him Prince Sherbert.

Hunter

Vehadrah
I always pulled the whole "Mom look what I found! Can we keep it??!!" With puppy dog eyes. Yes that worked every time.

I once found a fluffy orange tabby in the middle of the freeway and forced my brother to stop. The little guy wasn't even hurt but he was very malnourished and dehydrated. He looked to be about 2-3 weeks old. So on the way home he stopped by the pet store got a kitten bottle and some formula and we nourished him back to health. My mom didn't know about it till the kitten was all healthy about 3 weeks later. She did not like it at first but once I told her that he was litter box trained and that I had trained him she said okie dokie. He is my little prince...I call him Prince Sherbert.

That's adorable! :>

My second youngest kitty (who's my total baby) was found in a similar way. I brought him home and kept him in my room for a couple weeks and litter trained him and fed him and got him used to the house, then walked into my mom's room with him on my shoulder and went "moooom" in a cute voice. Of course he ruined it by squeaking before I could say anything and she was like "HELL NO!" She spent the next week trying to find him a new home. He would ride around in my sweater all day and play with my fingers when I was on the computer and finally my mom was like "fine we can keep him" 'cause he was just so cute haha. Now he's my little momma's boy biggrin

(this is him)

User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas