Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Dabbler

I'm leaving for a study abroad trip next month and I'll be gone until early January.

I'm concerned about Gatsby getting the attention hes had while I'm gone. I know I can count on my roommates and boyfriend to feed him, walk him, play with him, cuddle him et cetera, but we never quite got his separation anxiety under control and while we were living with Caleb and his owner, it got a lot worse since he was never alone (even if I wanted him to be).

So uh. I guess I'm wanting to do some last-minute training and I just don't know how to prepare him for me being gone for so long.

Everyone left here is going to be either working full-time or going to school full-time so there's not going to be the constant attention hes had with either me being here or my former roommate being here at the old house.

I'm going to guess that he'll be alone for probably 4-5 hours per day during the work week maximum.

I just don't really know how to help get him ready for the sudden change in attention.

We've been working on his separation anxiety since we moved to this new place and hes doing really well. He doesn't howl or destroy things anymore; he just sits on the back of the couch and waits for me to get home, apparently. I guess I'm just still worried. Plus I'm going to miss him too.

Trash

Idek what to tell you, but hopefully my post will attract some smarter people who can help you.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Start having whoever is going to be his primary caretaker while you're gone do things like feed him and walk him and give him attention, while you do less and less of that. It's a bit harder in your own home, but my dogs occasionally have a sleepover at the house of my dogsitter so they get used to being there and knowing I'll come back. Beyond that, just keep working on easing his separation anxiety.

Dapper Dabbler

Payton Leeroy
Start having whoever is going to be his primary caretaker while you're gone do things like feed him and walk him and give him attention, while you do less and less of that. It's a bit harder in your own home, but my dogs occasionally have a sleepover at the house of my dogsitter so they get used to being there and knowing I'll come back. Beyond that, just keep working on easing his separation anxiety.

Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it.

We've been switching caretaker responsibilities for about two weeks now.

I guess I need to find a way to be gone more though. I'm here pretty much all day this summer while my boyfriend works a full-time job so even if he does more for Gatsby, Gatsby sees me a whole lot more than he does him.

Do you think me just going somewhere and not taking him would help at all? I mean he doesn't go everywhere with me but for the most part, if I got for a walk, he goes with me.

Again, thank you very much for your help. 'v'

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Anton Anagram
Payton Leeroy

Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it.

We've been switching caretaker responsibilities for about two weeks now.

I guess I need to find a way to be gone more though. I'm here pretty much all day this summer while my boyfriend works a full-time job so even if he does more for Gatsby, Gatsby sees me a whole lot more than he does him.

Do you think me just going somewhere and not taking him would help at all? I mean he doesn't go everywhere with me but for the most part, if I got for a walk, he goes with me.

Again, thank you very much for your help. 'v'

It could help, especially if you're gone while his new caretaker is around so that the two of them can bond. A month is a really long time to be gone, and you want his bond with his new caretaker to be as strong as you can possibly get it before you leave. If you can get your dog to sleep in the other person's room and such that will probably help too.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff