Welcome to Gaia! ::

11,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
I live in a very conservative neighborhood. Everyone in my neighborhood has a gun. Some new neighbors moved in and they have a sign with a picture of a guy holding a gun with the words, "Don't mind the dog, beware of owner". And they have another sign that says "No Soliciting. Solicitors will be shot." I did not want to risk getting shot so I got their phone number from another neighbor. I spoke to them over the phone and they called me a coward for not talking to them face to face. They even asked me if Colorado had SYG laws. I guess that could be interpreted as a threat. Anyways they said it was a dog's nature to bark and that their dogs are barking to protect their territory just like any other dog. They told me they will not do anything about their dog's barking and that I would have to adjust to this new change.

I want to point out that I have four dogs and they have been trained and rarely ever bark. It does not sound like my neighbor's dogs are barking "to protect their territory". They are making high pitched barks and whimpering sounds and scratching my neighbors glass back door all day. They clearly have some insecurities about being left alone in the backyard. I am also afraid that by calling the police on them, they might retaliate and vandalize my property.

How do I deal with potentially violent neighbors with 2 barking dogs? Thanks.

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
wow. they sound like assholes. i cant really help. but i can bump and sympathize...

EDIT: do you have a humane society or spca in your area you could contact? they could help with that perhaps.

11,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
I do have a humane society in my area. I called them and they suggested taping an anonymous letter on their door but they already know who I am so it's too late to do that now.

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
thesupremekaidbz
I do have a humane society in my area. I called them and they suggested taping an anonymous letter on their door but they already know who I am so it's too late to do that now.

did you tell them that? the only other thing i can think of is get a bunch of fans for white noise. could you maybe try to get to know the dogs and offer to doggy sit while they are gone so the doggies aren't lonely? or you could just call the police station and see if they have any advice instead of just sending officers in.

if this doesn't help, there a lot of dog people on here so they probably know things i dont. this forum does move kinda slow though, so don't lose hope.

O.G. Gaian

Check if there's a noise ordinance in your... city? Town? If there is, the neighbor can be cited for that, at least. And if they vandalize your property or escalate things in any way, that's a property crime -- you're talking about misdemeanors, possibly felonies at that point. Just make sure you're on top of your own dogs' safety, because they'd be the likely targets (assuming the neighbor knows they exist; given his attitude toward his own animals, that could go either way).

If nothing else, try to get the humane society to swing by and assess the dogs' welfare, because it sounds as though they may be neglected. And what the hell, they might end up discovering he's running a puppy mill, or using his dogs in fights, or something. If you can get a recording to prove it's loud and incessant, so much the better. Document everything you can.

And keep in mind it may go nowhere. Is there anything you can do to reduce the noise? Maybe put some foliage in your yard outside your window, or get one of those noise-cancelling gadgets or a "white noise" source (i.e. a small water fountain, fish tank, something like that)?

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
i would talk to him face to face and if he threatens you call the cops

he sounds like a d**k

11,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
lividdarkangel800
thesupremekaidbz

did you tell them that? the only other thing i can think of is get a bunch of fans for white noise. could you maybe try to get to know the dogs and offer to doggy sit while they are gone so the doggies aren't lonely? or you could just call the police station and see if they have any advice instead of just sending officers in.

if this doesn't help, there a lot of dog people on here so they probably know things i dont. this forum does move kinda slow though, so don't lose hope.

Yeah I made the mistake of telling them my name and where I live. Thanks for the advice. I should try buying some fans and see if that'll work. I do feel bad for their dogs. It's obvious they are lonely.

11,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
faolan

Check if there's a noise ordinance in your... city? Town? If there is, the neighbor can be cited for that, at least. And if they vandalize your property or escalate things in any way, that's a property crime -- you're talking about misdemeanors, possibly felonies at that point. Just make sure you're on top of your own dogs' safety, because they'd be the likely targets (assuming the neighbor knows they exist; given his attitude toward his own animals, that could go either way).

If nothing else, try to get the humane society to swing by and assess the dogs' welfare, because it sounds as though they may be neglected. And what the hell, they might end up discovering he's running a puppy mill, or using his dogs in fights, or something. If you can get a recording to prove it's loud and incessant, so much the better. Document everything you can.

And keep in mind it may go nowhere. Is there anything you can do to reduce the noise? Maybe put some foliage in your yard outside your window, or get one of those noise-cancelling gadgets or a "white noise" source (i.e. a small water fountain, fish tank, something like that)?

There is a noise ordinance however, I have a feeling reporting them will make things worse. I'm planning on reporting them as a last resort. I'm going to try that and see if the humane society in my area is willing to do that. I've been blasting heavy metal in my house to block out the barking. I love Heavy Metal but sometimes I like to have silence. Thanks for the advice.

Anxious Werewolf

16,150 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • The Wolf Within 100
You can report and keep a record but it's not going to do much and honestly your neighbour sounds very dangerous like he would resort to retaliation. Make sure your yard is secure, dogs only out with supervision, and check the yard often in case he does throw poisoned me over.

If you don't want to call and report (and who can blame you) write down in a notebook dates when the dogs bark, how long, and whatever encounters you have with the neighbour. If something does happen you have that information written down at least.

O.G. Gaian

thesupremekaidbz
faolan

There is a noise ordinance however, I have a feeling reporting them will make things worse. I'm planning on reporting them as a last resort. I'm going to try that and see if the humane society in my area is willing to do that. I've been blasting heavy metal in my house to block out the barking. I love Heavy Metal but sometimes I like to have silence. Thanks for the advice.

Another thought... if you can, install a security camera. That way, if he does decide to play shithead games with you, you'll have something more than your word against his.

Can you keep reports anonymous? I'm pretty sure you can ask the police/animal control to keep things anonymous.

I've dealt with similar (minus the gun-toting psychopathic part), and they were our next door neighbors who did jack about their (short-coated, mind you) dogs and especially in the winter. I'd called the police/animal control (same department in my town) a few times on them for neglect or nuisance, and they'd had a couple/few dogs taken by animal control. They never said/did anything to me other than the occasional "hello", so I'm pretty sure that if they were confronted by local authorities on the matter, the authorities maintained anonymity for the reporting party.

People like that guy tend to not care about their dogs that much, in my experience. Give it a little while, then report if it doesn't change. There's a pretty good chance that someone else is going to get/has gotten fed up with their dogs' noise.
Good luck and proceed with care. sad

Demonic Ladykiller

12,550 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Call the animal control or cops and file a noise complain. Obviously they're not going to try and work with you ( The neighbors I mean ) Ignorant owners don't know how frustrating it can be to hear a dog barking constantly and they just brush it off. The dog probably has separation anxiety so they most likely can't hear it.
thesupremekaidbz

Part of me wants to say get some speakers and blast music in their direction, but escalating this won't solve anything in the long run.

You could always try going over to his house and apologize (even though you don't have anything to apologize for) and explain somehow you got off on the wrong foot. Explain you are a dog lover, have four yourself, so you understand dogs can bark but you were worried that his dogs seem to be acting stressed, whining, and trying to dig into the house, ect. Mention you didn't think anyone was home during the times you witnessed this and was worried that they might not be aware their dogs were doing this.

If you have a really friendly relaxed dog you could even take it over with and act like you decided to stop by while on a walk with your dog. Animals can be great at breaking tension.

If the person seems at all receptive to your concern, you can mention you have personally had similar issues with one of your dogs in the past and then bring up some of methods you found helped your dog out. By pretending it is an issue you have faced, it makes it seem less like you are passing judgement and lets the other person feel more relaxed and open to accepting suggestions.

It can be hard to grit ones teeth and be the adult in these types of situations, but it is worth it to avoid problems with neighbors. In these type of situations it is hard to get the law to do anything and even if they do you are left living next to an enemy that knows where you live and can easily retaliate.

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
thesupremekaidbz
lividdarkangel800
thesupremekaidbz

Yeah I made the mistake of telling them my name and where I live. Thanks for the advice. I should try buying some fans and see if that'll work. I do feel bad for their dogs. It's obvious they are lonely.

poor things. maybe you could call the humane society anyway. there might be some bad things going on in the house if they neglect their dogs like that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff