Welcome to Gaia! ::

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
I have a bunch of Dubias right now and I'm kind of worried about one of them. It just seemed kind of slow.
About every day I move their hiding place and kind of stir 'em all up so I can make sure I have no dead ones.
I have a really LARGE male that I notice is kind of slow. I don't know, it may be the same one. He lets me pick him up and he just sits in my hand. Is he dying? Or is he just chill? I looked at him really well and all of his feelers were going and he was looking around but he just doesn't move a lot. I have a few others who run a lot but this one seems less...running. I would hate to lose my biggest male. It's still not an adult, but it's right on the cusp it looks like.
edit:
The Dubia in question:
User Image
User Image
I can tell it's him because he doesn't run as fast when I lift up the box.
I pick him up and he curls up a little. Got him to uncurl for the second photo, but then on the first photo I turned him over again and he just did this. Didn't really move much. When I put him back he stayed put for a second or two and then meandered off back under the box with a lot of calm, but he didn't seem injured or dying when he was walking away. He walked like a normal bug, just slow.

Inquisitive Rogue

15,525 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Firestarter 200
  • Threadmaster 200
......... what the heck is a Dubia?

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
NuL
......... what the heck is a Dubia?

Dubia roach? I came in here asking questions for people who most likely have kept them, and assumed they'd understand what a Dubia was.
If it isn't an adult yet than it might be slowing down because it is getting ready to shed. It could also just be a lazy roach. One of the reasons Dubia are so popular is they tend to be rather chill. If you are providing the proper environment there isn't much else you can do, so I wouldn't stress about it.

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Krissim Klaw
If it isn't an adult yet than it might be slowing down because it is getting ready to shed. It could also just be a lazy roach. One of the reasons Dubia are so popular is they tend to be rather chill. If you are providing the proper environment there isn't much else you can do, so I wouldn't stress about it.

I've got a poptart box in there, two paper towel rolls, two toilet paper rolls, four squares of papertowel they came with, and two lids they came with on which I have cricket water gells and cricket food mixed with crushed catfood (the woman who sold them to me said they were doing well on their cricket food, so I bought some)
It's a blue rubbermaid storage bin with a hole cut in the top lid, with a mesh screen from a window or something I think.
With packing tape around the top to prevent any unusual escapes.
Does it sound okay?
I need to get some egg cartons in there, but I don't eat eggs, so I have to wait for my dad to give me his cartons.
It sounds like you are doing everything right so I wouldn't stress about it.

Fluffy Bunny

good ******** lord that is horrifying
im glad you have a pet colony that you enjoy but *shudders* eugh
Sounds like that cockroach might just be older than the others. In my experience, once they've hit a certain age, they just tend to be less quick and spastic, which might seem weird if you've only ever dealt with younger roaches before. The older the cockroach, the lazier. And cockroaches are pretty lazy.

If you just recently bought them from a pet store though, it might be slower because it's become more accustomed to human handling than the others, and just isn't as afraid anymore. Being the largest, it was probably handled the most by pet-store staff and curious shoppers, as opposed to the smaller roaches. Also, it's pretty normal for them to just sit in your hands when you pick them up, at least until they're used to your touch, and feel safe/comfortable enough to walk around.

And as someone else already said, it might be preparing to shed. Or it's just slow and lazy. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, those little guys are tough. And it sounds as though you've given them a great home.

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Alias S
Sounds like that cockroach might just be older than the others. In my experience, once they've hit a certain age, they just tend to be less quick and spastic, which might seem weird if you've only ever dealt with younger roaches before. The older the cockroach, the lazier. And cockroaches are pretty lazy.

If you just recently bought them from a pet store though, it might be slower because it's become more accustomed to human handling than the others, and just isn't as afraid anymore. Being the largest, it was probably handled the most by pet-store staff and curious shoppers, as opposed to the smaller roaches. Also, it's pretty normal for them to just sit in your hands when you pick them up, at least until they're used to your touch, and feel safe/comfortable enough to walk around.

And as someone else already said, it might be preparing to shed. Or it's just slow and lazy. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, those little guys are tough. And it sounds as though you've given them a great home.

I think I have my answer, actually.
Opened the cage today, found this:
User Image
It looks like the male, too me?
So, guess it was just going through a shed! I'm going to try and find it later once it's hardened back up. I don't want to try messing with it while it's still white.
Oh, looks like someone's guess was right. cool

Congrats on the successful shedding.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas