Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Wolf

10,550 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Hay pet forums! Long time no post. I’ve been busy this summer, between life and going to a camp, and just random plains. My pets have been doing great. But I want your input on something. I have trained my 90-100+ pound lab mix (all muscle) to pull a wagon of no more than about 47-50 pounds without someone pushing from behind. He loves it (you can see it in his face) and the kids who rides in the wagon love it. As well as I’ve noticed that on days he pulls (even if there’s nothing in the wagon) he’s a ton happier than if he had only gone on a walk, or ran in the yard with his brother. But I have gotten odd looks and threats of people calling the police on us for ‘abusing my dog’. Would you call that abuse if the only outcome of the dog working is being rightfully tired (the good kind)? I have ALWAYS listened to my dogs and when they say they are tired I let them stop, but I always make sure it’s on a good note. But anyway I’m asking that if you see someone doing that with their dog, would you think it’s abuse?

Oh, and if not how can I politely deal with the people who threaten me?
Ok maybe that's two???
And here's picks of him with the wagon with his brother, after pulling, to show that he's still happy, and he's not afraid of the wagon or anything. The one that pulls is on the right (Red collar if you can see it)

User Image

Eloquent Gawker

As long as you're working him up to weight slowly and using a proper pulling harness- not just a regular harness, a specific pulling harness- there is nothing wrong with it. Dogs to carting and weight pull competitions all the time.

Dedicated Wolf

10,550 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Savage Destiny
As long as you're working him up to weight slowly and using a proper pulling harness- not just a regular harness, a specific pulling harness- there is nothing wrong with it. Dogs to carting and weight pull competitions all the time.

I have converted a harness to be comfortable for him, and if he ever shows signs of being uncomfortable I stop immediately. I did work him up from nothing, to his weight limit, as well as before kids get in I walk him around with the empty wagon to warm up a bit, start with the lightest kid to the heaviest of his limit, and after rides I do the same as the warm up before letting him loose again. I just live more in the city so dogs working is more 'rare' to see.

Eloquent Gawker

Aklina
Savage Destiny

I have converted a harness to be comfortable for him, and if he ever shows signs of being uncomfortable I stop immediately. I did work him up from nothing, to his weight limit, as well as before kids get in I walk him around with the empty wagon to warm up a bit, start with the lightest kid to the heaviest of his limit, and after rides I do the same as the warm up before letting him loose again. I just live more in the city so dogs working is more 'rare' to see.

If you really want to work him in pulling, he needs to have a specific pulling harness. Regular harnesses are not designed to put weight in the proper places like pulling harnesses are. smile

Try looking at some of these places:
http://www.theworkingk9.com/
http://www.nordkyn.com/models.htm
http://www.k9carting.com/

Dedicated Wolf

10,550 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Savage Destiny
Aklina
Savage Destiny

If you really want to work him in pulling, he needs to have a specific pulling harness. Regular harnesses are not designed to put weight in the proper places like pulling harnesses are. smile

Try looking at some of these places:
http://www.theworkingk9.com/
http://www.nordkyn.com/models.htm
http://www.k9carting.com/

I know, I'm saving up for one now, the harness he is using though has to work just until I can get a proper one. I got the one I have because I wasn't even sure if he'd like pulling, and those things cost a lot once you add shipping to where I live. And if he didn't like pulling I would have wasted money as like I've said, that kind of stuff for dogs is almost unheard of. But he's still happy with what he has for now. But I really am saving up, but vet and bandages, and his main health come first. I have padded his current harness for now. I should be able to afford a proper harness here soon too.

Devoted Inquisitor

Why are bandages a major expense?

It's sweet that your dog likes pulling. :]

Dedicated Wolf

10,550 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Latrans

Because I have to buy the gauze, and the wrap, and this yuck stuff to keep my other dog from licking his paw. It's a nervous licking, and the vet said that we are doing good. We also have to bath that dog monthly with a shooting oatmeal shampoo, to help calm him. if we don't he'll lick his paw/leg raw to the point it's swollen 2 or 3 times it's normal size. So it's the other dog that's high coast. I have to keep his paw good so he can do his agility stuff to, because he loves it.

The one that pulls, the vet says he's healthy, and sound, and stuff.

Yes, I keep both my dogs active, doing stuff they like and are good at.

Devoted Inquisitor

Aklina
Latrans

Because I have to buy the gauze, and the wrap, and this yuck stuff to keep my other dog from licking his paw. It's a nervous licking, and the vet said that we are doing good. We also have to bath that dog monthly with a shooting oatmeal shampoo, to help calm him. if we don't he'll lick his paw/leg raw to the point it's swollen 2 or 3 times it's normal size. So it's the other dog that's high coast. I have to keep his paw good so he can do his agility stuff to, because he loves it.

That sounds really tough to deal with. It's good your vet is on top of it!

That sounds like a lot of fun for both dogs.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
I have had people threaten to call animal control on me before because my dog isnt fat amd is afraid of people. Best just to nod, smile, and keep going
So long as you aren't overworking him (which sounds like you really aren't) or making him pull things he has trouble with, there is nothing wrong or abusive about this.

In honestly, he probably feels like he has a job, which is great! Dogs are happiest when they have a job to do. I planned to start something similar with my Husky.

As for dealing with people, you can always just shrug them off. Politely smile and explain that what you are doing is good for him and if they did threaten to call someone, it would be a rather pointless call.

Your dogs both look very happy to me, and I wouldn't think twice about you decided to do with them so long as they looked happy doing it.

Just shrug people off. A lot of people think making a dog do more than be a coach potato is harmful. Working breeds aren't like that. They're happiest doing something.

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
um...? they're dogs? they were orginaly bred to help us with our work including pulling stuff? and most breeds now get that deeper happiness when they are doing the thing were bred for...god people can be stupid... just punch them all in the face for their ignorance and walk away.

Dedicated Wolf

10,550 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Latrans
Aklina
Latrans

That sounds really tough to deal with. It's good your vet is on top of it!

That sounds like a lot of fun for both dogs.

Yea, he's been licking for about a year, to a year and a half. The vet says we just have to keep on top of it, and put stuff on so he won't lick, until he stops the habit. But Midnight's a smart dog, he's fingered out how to get the wrapping off, so I got a cone, but now he knows how to twist himself to reach the let and tear off the bandage, I need new ideas to outsmart him. But when I wrap his lag and do agility people think he's injured and get mad. But usually they let me explain that it's just small open wound and the vet said he's fine to keep doing the stuff. (Simple answer)

But with Moonlight (one that pulls) no one listens when I say he loves pulling the little kids around. Heck he pulled me in a sled once, though I pushed myself he had fun, and it was only for a moment because I was sitting in the sled to keep him in place, and my dad called him, so it wasn't my fault he choose to run to dad, ignoring my weight.

But both my dogs are active and happy and healthy dogs. Midnight would be pulling too, but he's terrified or the wagon being behind him, but he LOVES riding in it lol. Midnight loves learning and doing tricks, where as Moonlight prefers straight forwardness of just pulling a wagon, and pretending to have no clue what I want when I ask him to sit or lay down, if I have no treats for him.

Dedicated Wolf

10,550 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Shanna66
I have had people threaten to call animal control on me before because my dog isnt fat amd is afraid of people. Best just to nod, smile, and keep going

lol my dogs aren't fat either, their a healthy weight, and their both scared of strangers, and one is borderline fear-aggressive. But we're working on that. But most people who see them praise them, and how well behaved they are on hiking trails and around bikes on the bike/walk paths Dad and I do. We can easily walk over a mile without getting to tired, and I always curry water for all of us. People only complain when they see the dogs working at home, pulling the wagon or doing Agility. But at the same time they love Midnight's tricks. But thanks for the advice.

Dedicated Wolf

10,550 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Noble Shade 100
RCJ remixed
So long as you aren't overworking him (which sounds like you really aren't) or making him pull things he has trouble with, there is nothing wrong or abusive about this.

In honestly, he probably feels like he has a job, which is great! Dogs are happiest when they have a job to do. I planned to start something similar with my Husky.

As for dealing with people, you can always just shrug them off. Politely smile and explain that what you are doing is good for him and if they did threaten to call someone, it would be a rather pointless call.

Your dogs both look very happy to me, and I wouldn't think twice about you decided to do with them so long as they looked happy doing it.

Just shrug people off. A lot of people think making a dog do more than be a coach potato is harmful. Working breeds aren't like that. They're happiest doing something.

Some things he's scared to pull (like an empty wagon because the noise) But I have him pull anyways to calm him, but I don't make him pull things that are too heavy, only things that scare him a little, but it never last for long and usually he pulls it for a bit then is calm and happy again.

That's why I had him start pulling, he was getting bored, and hated training, so I looked in to dog pulling, and he loves it! Right now I'm looking to get a better harness so he can be more comfortable, and maybe it'll help him pull better. And good luck teaching your husky smile I call Moonlight 'My little horse' because I use a head collar on him so he won't pull me, and when he's hocked up to pull he reminds me of a mini Horse, it's cute.

Lol ok, I will, if they stop and listen. But even though I know a lot about dogs, people still think I'm an ignorant 'kid'. But I know more stuff that most people I've met, even ones who have had dogs all their lives.

Making them be a couch potato is what's harmful. And by working with my dogs has brought on some good. A neighbor who's seen me grow up from being afraid of a mean husky that at the time was bigger than I was, to working with 2 big, dogs and getting them to the point they are, has asked me to see if I can't help her with her fearful dog.The people I have problems with are the people who don't know me, and don't try to. Once they know I'd never hurt my animals they love the tricks I have them doing, and when their working they don't care who's around watching.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Aklina
Shanna66

lol my dogs aren't fat either, their a healthy weight, and their both scared of strangers, and one is borderline fear-aggressive. But we're working on that. But most people who see them praise them, and how well behaved they are on hiking trails and around bikes on the bike/walk paths Dad and I do. We can easily walk over a mile without getting to tired, and I always curry water for all of us. People only complain when they see the dogs working at home, pulling the wagon or doing Agility. But at the same time they love Midnight's tricks. But thanks for the advice.

Everyone here has fat overly friendly labs

I love long hikes with stowrm. We do 4 mile walks a few times a week

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas