Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tasty Cat

9,800 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Luck of the Draw 50
This is my baby rat, her name is Cleopatra (Cleo for short). I have no idea what color Cleo is. She is pretty though. I have heard everything from Cinnamon to Siamese. If it helps, her mother is Black. Her father is Cinnamon and her grandfather on her fathers side is Mink. She also has a litter mate who is Mink. I don't think her eyes are Ruby, but its really hard to tell at this age. So here is the photo... D:

User Image

Eloquent Gawker

That light is weird, but she looks mink to me.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
i think hooded champagne

Tasty Cat

9,800 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Luck of the Draw 50
Savage Destiny

She's not mink. Too orangy to be mink.

Eloquent Gawker

ApolloRouge
Savage Destiny

She's not mink. Too orangy to be mink.

That's why I said the light is weird. Her back is totally dark and not orangey, but behind her ears is, so I wasn't sure what was weird lighting and what was accurate. If she's truly orangey than maybe fawn?

It doesn't help that everyone seems to have their own definitions of color in the rat world. razz

Conservative Capitalist

10,725 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Olympian 200
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

That rat looks fawn.

American mink is a grayish brown and UK mink in a brownish gray.
Champagne looks like beige, but lighter due to the pink eye gene, rather than the red eye gene.

Fawn is an orange rat, it's Red eye dilute + Agouti.
This is an adult fawn:

They aren't as orange as babies, but you can definitely tell them from any other color.

~ Fly over me Evil Angel ~

Tasty Cat

9,800 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Luck of the Draw 50
I don't think she is fawn, I was taking some photos today of her with my really good camera and her eyes still appear to be black to me. Unless they are just a reallllly dark Ruby and it wont show until she is older.

This is a picture of her with her sister (who is Mink):
User Image

The rest of the photos are taken this morning with my professional camera.
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

[Kat.On.A.Stick]
Savage Destiny

Conservative Capitalist

10,725 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Olympian 200

Okay, she doesn't look fawn in those pictures. Most of them are too blurry to tell, but in these ones:
User ImageUser Image
she looks cinnamon.

I suggest taking the picture in your brightest room or out in the sunlight with no flash. I usually take pictures in the garage or on the kitchen counter under the florescent light when I'm not using my photography setup.

Edit: Do you know what the parents are? That would help a lot.

Tasty Cat

9,800 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Luck of the Draw 50
[Kat.On.A.Stick]

Okay, she doesn't look fawn in those pictures. Most of them are too blurry to tell, but in these ones:
User ImageUser Image
she looks cinnamon.

I suggest taking the picture in your brightest room or out in the sunlight with no flash. I usually take pictures in the garage or on the kitchen counter under the florescent light when I'm not using my photography setup.

Edit: Do you know what the parents are? That would help a lot.

She's actually too light to be cinnamon from what I've seen. But her mother is black, father cinnamon and grandfather is mink and grandmother cinnamon. I have cinnamon in the litter. And they are more orange then her. I will see if I can get a better picture when I get my kids to sleep.

Tasty Cat

9,800 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Luck of the Draw 50
Hope these are better pictures:

(With Flash)
User Image
User Image

(Without Flash)
User Image
User Image

Conservative Capitalist

10,725 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Olympian 200

Do you know if there's is pearl down the line? The baby almost looks like it could cinnamon pearl, which would explain why it's lighter than the rest. Or it could just be a lighter cinnamon, which can just be normal or from carrying other dilutes.
The images without a flash look like it could be blue-agouti, but it may just be the light giving it a gray cast.

Tasty Cat

9,800 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Luck of the Draw 50
[Kat.On.A.Stick]

Do you know if there's is pearl down the line? The baby almost looks like it could cinnamon pearl, which would explain why it's lighter than the rest. Or it could just be a lighter cinnamon, which can just be normal or from carrying other dilutes.
The images without a flash look like it could be blue-agouti, but it may just be the light giving it a gray cast.

So I am not the only one who sees the blue tent!! I thought my eyes were seeing things because no one else mentioned it! D:

I was told that my Mink male (her grandfather) might be a Dark Phase Pearl. But I don't believe it since Pearls are so rare. Though when I do look at his undercoat I do see a few stray white hairs and it is like 2 shades lighter gray then the top fur. However I am still calling him Mink. I can post photos of him tomorrow if you want to see him.

I appreciate you trying to help me figure this out. I have never seen a baby this color before.

Conservative Capitalist

10,725 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Olympian 200
ApolloRouge
[Kat.On.A.Stick]

So I am not the only one who sees the blue tent!! I thought my eyes were seeing things because no one else mentioned it! D:

I was told that my Mink male (her grandfather) might be a Dark Phase Pearl. But I don't believe it since Pearls are so rare. Though when I do look at his undercoat I do see a few stray white hairs and it is like 2 shades lighter gray then the top fur. However I am still calling him Mink. I can post photos of him tomorrow if you want to see him.

I appreciate you trying to help me figure this out. I have never seen a baby this color before.

Pearls are actually not too rare. Just uncommon.
It just acts like a recessive until mink comes into play, so if the rat isn't mink, pearl won't show.

Do you have a picture of the grandfather? Dark phase pearl can sometimes look like UK mink.

Tasty Cat

9,800 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Luck of the Draw 50
[Kat.On.A.Stick]
ApolloRouge
[Kat.On.A.Stick]

Pearls are actually not too rare. Just uncommon.
It just acts like a recessive until mink comes into play, so if the rat isn't mink, pearl won't show.

Do you have a picture of the grandfather? Dark phase pearl can sometimes look like UK mink.

User Image

That's her grandfather. Sorry, cellphone photo is all I have until tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff